Nestlé Purina PetCare

Nestlé Purina PetCare Reviews

Updated Jul 10, 2014

Nestlé Purina PetCare President and CEO Pat McGinnis

Pat McGinnis

Pros:
  • "Out of all my 20 something friends I probably have the best work life balance"
    in 57 reviews
  • "Everyone loves to bring their pets to work, but the company is also focused on its associates"
    in 20 reviews
Cons:
  • "Too much talk of work life balance and no action, same with succession planning"
    in 11 reviews
  • "I work long hours and work every other weekend at least"
    in 7 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great place to work

Saint Louis, MO

Prosgreat culture and industry to work in

ConsI cant think of many cons

This is the first company I have found where everyone is content, enjoys, or overjoyed about their job!

Process Engineer (Current Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsOne of the focuses of this company is work/life balance. Almost every company I have worked for claims this and does a pretty good job, but Nestle Purina goes out of their way to make this happen. I believe everyone is much more successful because of this. Being able to bring your pets to work at headquarters is a huge plus. It makes work more fun and can bring our passion of pets to the office every day!

ConsFor as large as Nestle is, I am surprised some of the benefits are not as good as other companies that I have worked for that are large companies, but smaller than Nestle.

Great culture, I love coming to work!

Human Resources Trainee (Current Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

Pros- GREAT benefits: 3 different medical plans to match your family's needs
    - 4% company 401(k) match AND 100% employer contribution pension plan
    - 13 PTO days/12 holdays your first year
    - Tuition Assistance/Adoption assistance (2 legs AND 4 legs!)
    - At corporate, you can bring your pet to work, there's an on-site gym/childcare/Nestle store/dog park
    - Fantastic development opportunities
    - Great people; teamwork is essential here; innovative thinkers; always driving improvement
    - This company really cares about it's people and takes care of employees & their families

ConsCompensation is competitive, but not the highest you're going to find - that's not Purina's strategy. People come to work here for the world-class culture and benefits, not necessarily the pay. But don't get me wrong, it's not bad! And I think the other pros listed above outweigh the pay.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider providing temporary Cost of Living Subsidies for employees that move frequently (not just manager level and above). We're going to lose top talent to other companies who pay more and do make COLA considerations. It's becoming more common than in the past, and I think this is something Purina is falling behind on.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

.Nestle Purina Pet Care

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    King William, VA

ProsIt was a great place to work and the associates were excellent to work with and I felt comfortable sharing ideas with them

ConsThe teams were good, but the team leaders were too busy looking out for themselves and did not treat the associates with fairness they were too busy trying to write someone up for anything they could find.

Advice to Senior Management;Management needs to listen to the associates and not continue to try to rule them or micromanage their people

A Great Place to Work

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsPurina consistently tries to improve employee perks. We have a fitness center, a store, a cafeteria, dry cleaners that come in, nurses on duty, a groomer that comes onsite, a credit union that cashes checks even if you don't have an account. There is an employee review mechanism that is the envy of many. There is an external mechanism to report fraud/misdeeds. There are educational opportunities (online, onsite, and offsite) available to us all. We have a beautiful campus with free secured parking.

ConsThe only downsides to Purina are whatever is common to ALL huge companies. It's huge. Big deal.

Everything you want and more

Chemist (Current Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsGreat work life balance; flexible schedule, on-site amenities (including awesome daycare, gym and aerobics room, store, bank, park, dog park); Wonderful upper management that are approachable and easy going; family like atmosphere

ConsThere are downsides? I can't think of any myself.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. When Mr. McGinnis eventuallly retires, please replace him with a clone of himself.

Best Company I have every worked for!

Saint Louis, MO

ProsThe culture at Nestle Purina is unmatched. The people are so passionate about pets and the people that love them. It's hard to understand if you are outside the organization. I enjoy the people I work with- the fact that they are here to do what's best for the business, the project, the initiative. It's not a "what's in it for me" culture, but rather "How can we make this better for the business." That's refreshing. I have worked in organizations that were populated by title chasers that were only concerned for themselves. This is not that place.

ConsPromotions and new roles can be slow. We have a tenured workforce, but I believe this has more positives than negatives. Also, compensation can sometimes lag. But with so many positives and other benefits, it's easy to forget. I could go elsewhere and make more money, but I wouldn't be nearly as happy.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing. Remain approachable and down to earth.

Every person is part of a team who wants to do their best.

Senior Manufacturing Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Saint Louis, MO

ProsPeople are smiling, happy, always willing to help lend a hand or share knowledge to help you do your job better. The health benefits are top tier, the work is challenging, yet energizing. The Co-Workers always want to help you achieve your very best. When you first come into the company, they assign someone to you to teach you the culture, the industry, the business and what you need to know to be successful. Every so often, my boss will send me to a class to learn new skills and put them to immediate use! I have grown so much working for this company it is unbelievable how much I've grown as a result!.

ConsWe have an awesome corporate culture, a great work-life balance that I simply cannot find in other companies. It is hard to find an incentive to leave here. Every other company pales in comparison to Nestle Purina.
    It would be nice if we could bring our dogs to work at every company location.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep daring us to do better for the company. We will meet the challenge!

Lots of great opportunties, challenges, career growth and global exposure

Saint Louis, MO

ProsNPPC has a GREAT culture and work life balance. We enjoy the benefits of a large company with lots of resources and technology while still feeling independant and family oriented. There are lots of growth opportunities as the large retirement eligible population starts leaving- great for Gen-Xers to take leadership positions.

ConsSometimes being owned by a large international company can be difficult as they try to align us with Nestle globally. However, this can be seen as an opportunity as well- its easiest to embrace it and gain global experience while taking a few global trips to work on projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Wonderful work environment, perks and job satisfaction.

Business Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsGood Salary
    Great benefits (retirement plans, life insurance, medical/dental/vision insurance)
    Perks ... company store, medical department, bringing pets to work, onsite gym, credit union, free parking, discounted product through company store, dry cleaning service, regularly scheduled onsite pet grooming available, onsite massage available in medical department, company events and much more!)
    Beautiful campus, including a dog park
    Flexible work hours (available to most, depending on job)
    Focus on health, wellness and work/life balance
    Focus on leadership in the industry
    Products and quality to be proud of

ConsAs with all companies, there are pockets where some of the pros listed above do not exist, based on the personal leadership of that area.

Some of the perks of working for a large company are also some of the pitfalls. There can be a lot of red tape in getting things accompished if a new idea will affect the company globally and sometimes technology or new processes are implemented that are not as beneficial to one piece of Nestle as to others.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing. Place your focus on your employees since content employees are much more productive. Make sure people in leadership positions are held accountable and that they take the required leadership training when promoted from a functional position. Allow enough depth for a new manager to let go of functional work and lead.

Worked for Nestlé Purina PetCare? Contribute to the Community!

Nestlé Purina PetCare Videos

Nestlé Purina PetCare – Why Work for Us?

We Believe Pets and People are Better Together Nestlé Purina PetCare Company is a leader in the pet products industry, dedicated to improving the lives of cats and dogs through quality nutrition and care. Innovation… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Nestlé Purina PetCare reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Nestlé Purina PetCare CEO Pat McGinnis. All 226 reviews posted anonymously by Nestlé Purina PetCare employees.