Nestlé Purina PetCare

Updated March 2, 2015
4.5

Nestlé Purina PetCare CEO Joseph R. Sivewright
Joseph R. Sivewright

Pros
  • The work/life balance here is definitely a perk for anyone here especially with children (in 107 reviews)

• I also enjoy that everyone can bring their pets to work at the corporate office where I work (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • My only other 'complaint' is that work-life balance can sometimes be a struggle (in 27 reviews)

• Some weeks require long hours with little to no compensation time being offered by management (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Nestle Purina is a very employee friendly company.

Former Employee - Industrial Mechanic in King William, VA
    Former Employee - Industrial Mechanic in King William, VA

I worked at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits and salary of the company are fantastic.

Cons

The Team Leads and managers are not grounded in the day to day operations of the working staff.

To make more decisions on facts given on down floor.

Great Place to Work!

Current Employee - Production Supervisor
    Current Employee - Production Supervisor

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People, Opportunity, Fast Pace, Exciting!, and $$$$ for your time!

Cons

People, Fast Pace, Overtime, Weekend work, and on call.

Great place to work.

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare

Pros

Work life balance is respected.

Cons

No cons at this point.

Keep up with the great work.

great experience

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare

Pros

healthy work life balance
    great atmosphere
    great benefits

Cons

do not have any cons

na

The Sky is the Limit

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-Company promotes within.
    -Excellent training opportunities (Training opportunities vary by plant, but company has an excellent training opportunities online for employees that you can do on your own if you can find the time).
    -Rewards Innovation, and encourages new ideas.
    -Being willing to relocate and being a high performer can significantly accelerate your career.
    -Given a lot of responsibility early in your career which makes for great experience for professional and personal growth.
    -You truly own your career, and Nestle Purina gives you the knowledge, training, opportunity, and tools to own it.
    -Great relocation benefits, work benefits, and plenty of options for health Benefits.
    -Decent work life balance (This significantly varies between roles and responsibilities throughout the company. This is great at corporate, but can be terrible at the factory depending on your position and management level or department. However, this is something the company is truly trying to address. You are responsible for your work life balance. If it is too much, then you need to speak up, otherwise, they will continue to put more on your plate. We have more work than we have people to do it, but Management does their best to prioritize our efforts through the Operational Master Plan).
    -Company encourages and appreciates cross functional experience. I have seen several employees transfer between departments to gain experience.
    -Plenty of opportunity for advancement or lateral moves, if you are a high performer and willing to move, or change departments/job functions.
    -Excellent culture, it is easy to fall in love with this company because of their passion.
    -Competitive Pay and raises.
    -High Value placed on Management Trainees
    (This is a pro if you come through the trainee program, and can be viewed as a con by people who did not come through the trainee program. However, I have seen several examples of high performers placed on the management track by truly owning their careers and making it known what they want to do, and were not afraid to go the extra mile to reach their goals and gain the experience needed to move up. I have also seen many employees from the plant floor promoted to managers for being a high performer, making a name for themselves as an excellent resource, and going back to get their degrees).
    -Highly skilled individuals throughout the organization to learn from.
    -The Organizations core values are truly inspirational and will help you strive to be better in every area of your life at work and at home. They have certainly motivated me to go above and beyond at work, and outside of work.
    -The Executive team is made up of some highly talented individuals.
    -Many people will be retiring within the next several years, which means there will be plenty of advancement in the next several years. Less time to wait to move up.
    -Family oriented Company.
    -Friendly atmosphere.
    I could go on and on..... An Amazing company to work for

Cons

Just like every company, there are some cons and its all about perspective.
    -Driving change in a large organization is difficult (There are a lot of layers, and a lot of people to confidence. Driving change is a marathon and can take years).
    -There are some Excellent Managers, and they typically move up fast. There are also so terrible Managers and you will never understand how some of them got there... Just hope you don't have to work for any of them for very long. (Thankfully, there is plenty of opportunity to change departments, job functions, or relocate if you are a high performer and willing to change roles).
    -Work life balance can be a con for some, I have seen both sides.
    -Workload can be demanding, your plate will always be full, and you will never be bored.
    -You wont always have the resources you need to do your job well. Getting the resources you need is a battle.
    -Health Care Plan has gotten worse and worse over the last few years, and the outlook is not positive.
    -There are a lot of older generations that are hanging on to the Old way of doing things, and are not accepting of the NCE Journey that we are on. Even Management is not fully bought into this, and it can be hard on moral at the factory making it a challenge. (The NCE Journey also requires a significant amount of work with the same headcount which really hurts the work life balance, and puts a lot of pressure on the employees).

Continue to Promote the High Performers and great managers, and stop promoting those who are not great managers to higher management positions. Continue drive change that will improve work life balance and reduce the work load or balance out the workload at the factories. Listen to the high performing younger generation that is coming up in the ranks as they will be the future leaders of this company. They also have valuable perspective to bring to the table. Invest in technology so we don't lose our completive advantage.

Passionate, caring, hard-working, supportive people, making the best food for our best friends

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Passion-we know who we make food for, and we care enough to protect the accidental eater. Caring-we watch out for each other, and we care about our business. Support-if you need help, ask for it and you will receive. This is a great company that actually "walks it's talk".

Cons

Long hours, lots of work, many hats...but that gives us the ability to pull together in a crisis, and get the job done.

Please continue to push for a full crew, the overtime is rough on the labor pool. Limit continuous work to 12hrs (period).

I cannot say enough good things about Purina.

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Saint Louis, MO
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Saint Louis, MO

I worked at Nestlé Purina PetCare as an intern (more than a year)

Pros

The work-life balance is incredible. Family and pets definitely come first. The ability to bring pets to work is a total plus!

Cons

As is true of most corporations, there can be a lot of red tape. Things can move pretty slowly.

Nice Place to Work

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time

Pros

Stable, Good Benefits, Employee Friendly

Cons

Corporate Bureacracy can be an issue at times.

Teamleader

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare

Pros

Pay is good, benefits are best for the area.

Cons

Lack of advancement. Upper management wants to keep you locked into a position while you watch others move up. Work life balance

Practice what you preach.

Awesome job

I worked at Nestlé Purina PetCare

Pros

Good pay good benefits loved this job

Cons

Fired for a first offense very stringent

keep an open mind listen to your workers

Nestlé Purina PetCare Photos