Nestlé Purina PetCare

Updated August 26, 2014

4.4

Nestlé Purina PetCare President and CEO Pat McGinnis
Pat McGinnis

Pros
  • Everyone is very friendly and a healthy work-life balance is encouraged (in 67 reviews)

• Everyone loves to bring their pets to work, but the company is also focused on its associates (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Projects sometimes demands long hours, so employee needs to be protective of work-life balance during these times (in 13 reviews)

• I work long hours and work every other weekend at least (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

I hope to spend the rest of my very long career here

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare for more than a year

Pros

It's truly a family feel at Purina - the people truly and genuinely care about each other. And they'll go out of their way to help those around them. Everyone loves coming to work every day because the company has worked really hard to sustain its warm, inviting culture that embraces every single person regardless of who they are or where they came from. I can't wait to spend the rest of my career here!

Cons

Because they hire cream-of-the-crop talent, it's very hard to get in. I've tried referring a lot of wonderful people I know well, but because it's so competitive, they haven't gotten into the company.

Continue to keep the lines of communication open. When people are unaware of what's going on and why, it leaves them feeling confused, insecure and excluded.

Great place to work!

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

The people from senior leadership down to the entry level associates are great to work with, its a family atmosphere.

Cons

NPP has worked hard to create a very diverse environment, however like any big business at times there is a culture is some of the departments of promotions being handed out first to those that are friends with the leadership team, it doesn't mean that you will never get a chance to advance, just at times it takes longer.

keep up the good work.

Great place to work!

Current Employee - Quality Management
    Current Employee - Quality Management

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Nestle Purina has great values and treats their employees like family. It is great to have a global company that really cares about its people.

Cons

Work hours can be overly demanding at times, but the amount of vacation helps to make up for that. They try to keep work life balance in line, but it can be a challenge to achieve..

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company, great culture

Current Employee - Recruiter  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Recruiter in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time for more than a year

Pros

I came on as an Contractor in order to get my foot in the door and within the year was converted to full time. They definitely value their employees and do not treat you differently if you are a contractor compared to an associate. There are so many opportunities within the organization to pursue that there is always room for growth and the culture is great. It is very much a team environment.

Cons

Can't think of anything at the moment.

Keep doing what you are doing, my manager constantly provides me feedback for growing opportunities,

I'm very satiesfied with my career with NPPC & highly recommend to everyone to pursue a career with the company.

Current Employee - Production Manager  in  King William, VA
    Current Employee - Production Manager in King William, VA

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

My job supplies personal satisfaction, challenges every day, exciting growth through heavy customer demand, & empowerment to make decisions regarding our plant. NPPC is a very people oriented company which fully believes people are our number one resourse. Finally being a pet lover with 1 rescue dog & 2 rescue cats makes working for NPPC even more important.

Cons

We are extremely busy & going through major Capital growth related projects. Although this is considered a con it is far more positive than the stress & concerns when business is declining.

Continue to use inovation/renovation to increase market share.

Nestlé Purina PetCare Response

Aug 22, 2014Employment Branding Specialist

Awesome to hear – thanks so much for your feedback. We’re happy that you feel challenged and supported in your work. Purina is focused on consistently improving and sustaining a positive work ... More

Analyst

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time

Pros

Very Close Culture. Work Life Balance.

Cons

I found no challanges working here.

Stable, aggressive company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Strong, stable employer.
    Normally understanding managers and employees (see work-life balance or what exists of it).
    Several events per year that celebrate company success.
    High responsibility job functions.
    Advancement is there--if you seek it and are proactive.

Cons

Work load can be heavy at times--Senior Management claims they are taking a stand against this effective Summer 2014.
    The company can be very bureaucratic with many departments.
    The company can be slow to act in the market, see above.
    Pay can be on the lower end of the spectrum for many positions (company believes in investing in itself)

Look at many of our processes for executing work and determine if simplification can occur. Surely, it can.

Old School Management

Current Employee - Brand Manager  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Brand Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great brands, friendly and collaborative culture. Respects personal time. Down to earth, approachable management. Smart people across the organization.

Cons

Performance Reviews, competencies and feedback are not linked with upward movement. Culture rewards homogeneity, not diverse.

Embrace alternative thinking and avoid micromanagement. Reward based on merit and be consistent with feedback - clear direction on how to grow.

Veterinary Channel

Current Employee - Veterinary Sales Consultant  in  Napa, CA
    Current Employee - Veterinary Sales Consultant in Napa, CA

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Flexible hours
    Passionate, animal loving company

Cons

The expectations to perform and deliver are very high with very little support or marketing materials. The compensation received is low when compared to others reps doing the same job with competitive companies.

All reps throughout the country are compensated equally. No consideration for reps that live in more expensive areas. The management has felt that since everyone does the same job, all reps should be paid the same.

Other divisions within the company are given company automobiles This division is expected to buy and maintain their own with only mileage reimbursement.

This is also a very "top heavy" division. More people needed out doing the selling and less marketing and management people.

The people at the corporate headquarters are also very out of touch with what happens in the field on a day to day basis. They are also unfamiliar with the veterinary channel and how things need to operate in order for the sales force to be successful.

Nestlé Purina PetCare Response

Aug 11, 2014Employment Branding Specialist

We appreciate you sharing your honest feedback; we are very sorry to hear about your experiences. Please know that we will be sharing all of your feedback with our leadership team and will be taking ... More

ORM Analyst

Current Employee - ORM Business Analyst  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - ORM Business Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great company with great advancement opportunities. They treat their employees very well.

Cons

None. Very low turnover here. If you start in ORM the pay is ok but the training to move up is extremely valuable.

Worked for Nestlé Purina PetCare? Contribute to the Community!