Nestlé Purina PetCare

www.nestlepurinacareers.com

Nestlé Purina PetCare Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2014's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros
  • Everyone is very friendly and a healthy work-life balance is encouraged(in 63 reviews)

• Everyone loves to bring their pets to work, but the company is also focused on its associates(in 22 reviews)

Cons
  • Projects sometimes demands long hours, so employee needs to be protective of work-life balance during these times(in 13 reviews)

• I work long hours and work every other weekend at least(in 8 reviews)

An absolutely amazing company to work for!

Communications Specialist (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

Pros- Work/life balance
    - Flexible schedule
    - Culture
    - Great salary (in terms of my line of work)
    - Wonderful camaraderie among colleagues
    - Lots of travel opportunities
    - Pets at work
    - Sense of belonging

Cons- New, fresh ideas sometimes not being heard or accepted
    - Some weeks require long hours with little to no compensation time being offered by management

Advice to Senior ManagementFor the most part, keep up the good work!

A Great Place to Work

Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsPurina consistently tries to improve employee perks. We have a fitness center, a store, a cafeteria, dry cleaners that come in, nurses on duty, a groomer that comes onsite, a credit union that cashes checks even if you don't have an account. There is an employee review mechanism that is the envy of many. There is an external mechanism to report fraud/misdeeds. There are educational opportunities (online, onsite, and offsite) available to us all. We have a beautiful campus with free secured parking.

ConsThe only downsides to Purina are whatever is common to ALL huge companies. It's huge. Big deal.

Everything you want and more

Chemist (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsGreat work life balance; flexible schedule, on-site amenities (including awesome daycare, gym and aerobics room, store, bank, park, dog park); Wonderful upper management that are approachable and easy going; family like atmosphere

ConsThere are downsides? I can't think of any myself.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work. When Mr. McGinnis eventuallly retires, please replace him with a clone of himself.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best Company I have every worked for!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsThe culture at Nestle Purina is unmatched. The people are so passionate about pets and the people that love them. It's hard to understand if you are outside the organization. I enjoy the people I work with- the fact that they are here to do what's best for the business, the project, the initiative. It's not a "what's in it for me" culture, but rather "How can we make this better for the business." That's refreshing. I have worked in organizations that were populated by title chasers that were only concerned for themselves. This is not that place.

ConsPromotions and new roles can be slow. We have a tenured workforce, but I believe this has more positives than negatives. Also, compensation can sometimes lag. But with so many positives and other benefits, it's easy to forget. I could go elsewhere and make more money, but I wouldn't be nearly as happy.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing. Remain approachable and down to earth.

Every person is part of a team who wants to do their best.

Senior Manufacturing Software Engineer (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsPeople are smiling, happy, always willing to help lend a hand or share knowledge to help you do your job better. The health benefits are top tier, the work is challenging, yet energizing. The Co-Workers always want to help you achieve your very best. When you first come into the company, they assign someone to you to teach you the culture, the industry, the business and what you need to know to be successful. Every so often, my boss will send me to a class to learn new skills and put them to immediate use! I have grown so much working for this company it is unbelievable how much I've grown as a result!.

ConsWe have an awesome corporate culture, a great work-life balance that I simply cannot find in other companies. It is hard to find an incentive to leave here. Every other company pales in comparison to Nestle Purina.
    It would be nice if we could bring our dogs to work at every company location.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep daring us to do better for the company. We will meet the challenge!

Lots of great opportunties, challenges, career growth and global exposure

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

ProsNPPC has a GREAT culture and work life balance. We enjoy the benefits of a large company with lots of resources and technology while still feeling independant and family oriented. There are lots of growth opportunities as the large retirement eligible population starts leaving- great for Gen-Xers to take leadership positions.

ConsSometimes being owned by a large international company can be difficult as they try to align us with Nestle globally. However, this can be seen as an opportunity as well- its easiest to embrace it and gain global experience while taking a few global trips to work on projects.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work!

Best-kept secret

Engineer (Current Employee) Saint Louis, MO

Pros- A market leader (Purina) within a market leader (Nestle). The benefits of a down-home, midwestern culture and a huge, multi-national presence.
    - Consistent, solid performing Company, which translates to job security.
    - The Executive Leadership Team here is outstanding. They are approachable, sincere, and easy to follow.
    - Purina is willing to invest in its employees (compensation, benefits, work-life balance, training, resources, etc.)
    - If you love animals, you will feel like you've found the mother-ship. If you are indifferent to animals, you will grow to love them. The benefits of a pet-loving culture are really hard to explain. You really just have to experience it.

ConsI've read some of the other reviews and noticed comments about slow upward mobility. This is primarily due to the fact that many choose to work here for their entire career. The down side of that is that you may not get that next "title" as quickly as you'd like. However, if you peform well, you will be compensated well. To me that's more important than a title. That said, there will be a substantial number of retirements over the next 5 years (barring another US economic melt-down). This will open up many senior level positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you're doing. It's working.

Great Place to Work

ProsGreat people with a lot of passion about what we do

ConsA lot of positions require travel

Good experience so far!

ProsVery friendly coworkers
    A lot of career and personal development opportunities
    Exposure to people and business practices from many different countries

ConsA lot of process and policy but expected in a large organization
    Takes some time to get used to the acronyms and terminology but again expected in a large organization

Great Place to Work!

Director (Current Employee)

ProsPurina has a wonderful, friendly, team-oriented culture. Great benefits -- including the ability to bring pets to work and an allowance toward a pet adoption. Management is very approachable; keeps employees informed.Turnover is low because people truly enjoy working here and are recognized and rewarded for achievements. On-site Company store and fitness center. Nice office space on a park-like campus (and we even have a dog park!) Flexible work hours.

ConsPrograms and projects driven by the parent company (Nestle) often take more time than seems necessary and can bog down the ability to do the work important to Purina.

Worked for Nestlé Purina PetCare? Contribute to the Community!