Nestlé Purina PetCare Reviews

Updated March 16, 2015
392 reviews filtered by
These reviews contributed towards 2014's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
4.6
Nestlé Purina PetCare CEO Joseph R. Sivewright
Joseph R. Sivewright

Pros
  • The work/life balance here is definitely a perk for anyone here especially with children (in 107 reviews)

• I also enjoy that everyone can bring their pets to work at the corporate office where I work (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • My only other 'complaint' is that work-life balance can sometimes be a struggle (in 27 reviews)

• Some weeks require long hours with little to no compensation time being offered by management (in 8 reviews)

1. Featured Review

I love my job and the company I work for

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare

Pros

I love animals and working for a company that really cares about their products and how they can better the nutrition and lives of all pets. I love how Purina puts so many resources into helping animals in need. My favorite part of the job is talking with consumers about their pets and being able to give back to them and their animals when possible. On top of all of that, Purina really cares about its employees and truly promotes growth within the organization.

Cons

I have not experienced any cons relating to my job or the company during the time I have been here.

They do a great job of listening to what employees are saying and working with them to solve needs/issues if/when they arise. Great training, especially the New Employee Orientation that brings new employees from throughout the organization together to learn about Purina, its brands, and its business units.

Nestlé Purina PetCare Response

Mar 27, 2015Nestlé Purina Human Resources Team

Wow – thanks so much for sharing! We're thrilled to hear that you are enjoying your experience at Nestlé Purina. We’re deeply committed to bettering the lives of pets and the people who love them ... More

2. Great

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare

Pros

Employee recognition, training, interview practices

Cons

Having too much fun, working too great of a schedule, giving back too much to the community

Where do you get off doing all these great things for your employees?

Purina Pride

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare

Pros

High level of pride n employees
    Company invests a lot of time and money training employees
    Puts safety and quality of products first

Cons

Big learning curve as a new employee

None

5. Great company culture!

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare

Pros

Outstanding opportunities for upward mobility and great work/life balance.

Cons

Upward mobility requires relocation every 2-3 years.

The Sky is the Limit

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

-Company promotes within.
    -Excellent training opportunities (Training opportunities vary by plant, but company has an excellent training opportunities online for employees that you can do on your own if you can find the time).
    -Rewards Innovation, and encourages new ideas.
    -Being willing to relocate and being a high performer can significantly accelerate your career.
    -Given a lot of responsibility early in your career which makes for great experience for professional and personal growth.
    -You truly own your career, and Nestle Purina gives you the knowledge, training, opportunity, and tools to own it.
    -Great relocation benefits, work benefits, and plenty of options for health Benefits.
    -Decent work life balance (This significantly varies between roles and responsibilities throughout the company. This is great at corporate, but can be terrible at the factory depending on your position and management level or department. However, this is something the company is truly trying to address. You are responsible for your work life balance. If it is too much, then you need to speak up, otherwise, they will continue to put more on your plate. We have more work than we have people to do it, but Management does their best to prioritize our efforts through the Operational Master Plan).
    -Company encourages and appreciates cross functional experience. I have seen several employees transfer between departments to gain experience.
    -Plenty of opportunity for advancement or lateral moves, if you are a high performer and willing to move, or change departments/job functions.
    -Excellent culture, it is easy to fall in love with this company because of their passion.
    -Competitive Pay and raises.
    -High Value placed on Management Trainees
    (This is a pro if you come through the trainee program, and can be viewed as a con by people who did not come through the trainee program. However, I have seen several examples of high performers placed on the management track by truly owning their careers and making it known what they want to do, and were not afraid to go the extra mile to reach their goals and gain the experience needed to move up. I have also seen many employees from the plant floor promoted to managers for being a high performer, making a name for themselves as an excellent resource, and going back to get their degrees).
    -Highly skilled individuals throughout the organization to learn from.
    -The Organizations core values are truly inspirational and will help you strive to be better in every area of your life at work and at home. They have certainly motivated me to go above and beyond at work, and outside of work.
    -The Executive team is made up of some highly talented individuals.
    -Many people will be retiring within the next several years, which means there will be plenty of advancement in the next several years. Less time to wait to move up.
    -Family oriented Company.
    -Friendly atmosphere.
    I could go on and on..... An Amazing company to work for

Cons

Just like every company, there are some cons and its all about perspective.
    -Driving change in a large organization is difficult (There are a lot of layers, and a lot of people to confidence. Driving change is a marathon and can take years).
    -There are some Excellent Managers, and they typically move up fast. There are also so terrible Managers and you will never understand how some of them got there... Just hope you don't have to work for any of them for very long. (Thankfully, there is plenty of opportunity to change departments, job functions, or relocate if you are a high performer and willing to change roles).
    -Work life balance can be a con for some, I have seen both sides.
    -Workload can be demanding, your plate will always be full, and you will never be bored.
    -You wont always have the resources you need to do your job well. Getting the resources you need is a battle.
    -Health Care Plan has gotten worse and worse over the last few years, and the outlook is not positive.
    -There are a lot of older generations that are hanging on to the Old way of doing things, and are not accepting of the NCE Journey that we are on. Even Management is not fully bought into this, and it can be hard on moral at the factory making it a challenge. (The NCE Journey also requires a significant amount of work with the same headcount which really hurts the work life balance, and puts a lot of pressure on the employees).

Continue to Promote the High Performers and great managers, and stop promoting those who are not great managers to higher management positions. Continue drive change that will improve work life balance and reduce the work load or balance out the workload at the factories. Listen to the high performing younger generation that is coming up in the ranks as they will be the future leaders of this company. They also have valuable perspective to bring to the table. Invest in technology so we don't lose our completive advantage.

Nestlé Purina PetCare Response

Mar 27, 2015Nestlé Purina Human Resources Team

Hi and thank you for your time that you invested in providing a very detailed and balanced point of view of our company. We’re happy to hear you are equally as passionate about our company as we are ... More

7. Nestle Purina is a very employee friendly company.

Former Employee - Industrial Mechanic in King William, VA
    Former Employee - Industrial Mechanic in King William, VA

I worked at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The benefits and salary of the company are fantastic.

Cons

The Team Leads and managers are not grounded in the day to day operations of the working staff.

To make more decisions on facts given on down floor.

Disappointed

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Bring your dog to work. Friendly co-workers. Volunteer environment.

Cons

Many people are overworked in this company. I see it every day. Work life balance is not good for people with strong work ethics. They will work you to the bone if you let them, and have recently communicated that working extra hard in your role will not get you ahead. There is a disconnect somewhere. Very demotivating.

Great Place to Work!

Current Employee - Production Supervisor
    Current Employee - Production Supervisor

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

People, Opportunity, Fast Pace, Exciting!, and $$$$ for your time!

Cons

People, Fast Pace, Overtime, Weekend work, and on call.

10. great experience

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare

Pros

healthy work life balance
    great atmosphere
    great benefits

Cons

do not have any cons

na

11. Great place to work.

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare

Pros

Work life balance is respected.

Cons

No cons at this point.

Keep up with the great work.

Nestlé Purina PetCare Photos