Nestlé Purina PetCare

Updated December 15, 2014
4.6

Nestlé Purina PetCare President and CEO Pat McGinnis
Pat McGinnis

Pros
  • The work/life balance here is definitely a perk for anyone here especially with children (in 107 reviews)

• I also enjoy that everyone can bring their pets to work at the corporate office where I work (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • My only other 'complaint' is that work-life balance can sometimes be a struggle (in 27 reviews)

• Some weeks require long hours with little to no compensation time being offered by management (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

There's no place like Purina!

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Purina has an amazing culture! There's an awesome history of innovation, support of associate development, pride in what we do, and a wide range of benefits. The St Louis offices are pet-friendly, and as a new parent, I greatly appreciate the flexibility I have in my schedule, as well as management's dedication to maintaining strong work-life balance.

Cons

As with many large companies, sometimes change is slow, and there can be corporate red tape to wade through. Unfortunately I don't think consumers see Purina in as positive a light as we see from the inside.

Continue to push our position in the category and continue to engage with consumers, especially via social media. Please consider finding a way to create more space on campus! I look forward to seeing Joe Sivewright continue Pat McGinnis's legacy as new CEO next year, maintaining our culture and dedication to pets and their people.

Dec 22, 2014Nestlé Purina Human Resources Team

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experiences with us! As you know, there are some big changes happening internally that we are excited about announcing to our consumers in the upcoming year. We ... More

Best company to work for

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare

Pros

everything the company offers to employees and how your treated by all members

Cons

Some people forget how luckly we are to work here and all the great things Nestle does for them and the Community.

Working in Purina is more than working for a petfood company

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

We love pets, it is part of the company's DNA. Caring for our pets is at the heart of all what we do! benefits, working environment, life balance, career development and the fact that we are considered associates more than just employees...make Purina a fantastic company to work for.

Cons

As in any other multinational company, sometimes the system is too rigid and challenge the status quo becomes a hard task.

Great Place to work

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

The culture at Nestle Purina Pet care is one of a kind. Most people you come in contact with or work with end up becoming good friends with you. The fact you can take your dog to work and enjoy a beautiful campus is also a huge plus. Dogs put smiles on peoples faces and that helps create a fun culture.

Cons

Long hours are becming someting normal and taking vacation is very hard to do. Even though our company preaches "work life balance" it is tough because we are so big and we are carving out the future of pet food every day and that is demanding.
    The only other con I have is not just the lower pay compared to like competitors but there is a very wide range of pay within the same position and that gap needs to get closer together vs wider. Annual raises are also very small regardless of your performance and it is not keeping up with the pace of the cost of living. If this could be addressed, I would never look anywhere else.

My advice to management would be to ensure we are creating and agreeing to annual goals to our parent company so that they are attainable. For the past several years we have faced some overwhelming circumstances that have not allowed us to hit our high performance targets, therefore affecting our lifestyles due to lower bonus payout. This did not happen prior to Nestle purchasing Purina.
    Please also take the time to look at competition in the same sector as us and see they are getting paid substantially more for a much smaller portfolio of brands. Also internally, we have a very wide range of salaries from min to max and getting employees closer to each other has not been done in over 7 years that I am aware of.

Innovative Culture!

Current Employee - Training in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Training in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

-Respect the concept of work/life balance. They are researching and defining what that is as an organization. The best part, they encourage employees to talk about their preferences in respect to work/life balance.
    -Innovation is a big component of the modern day culture. With that said, there is a lot of pride in what Purina is and where it has come from! Ideas are welcomed and traditions are respected.
    -The workplace is ‘human’. Associates are allowed to pick with work entire – business or business casual. People are allowed to bring their pets to work – but it is not a requirement. If you are not a pet owner don’t worry. The pets at work program have rules and it is all very well managed.
    -Perks include: gym, wellness center, store, cafe, walking trails, post office, credit union, & parks with outdoor meeting spaces.

Cons

-Sometimes you have to walk a distance to get to your building. The problem is not lack of parking - there are several gated lots. it is just spread out.
    -The on site cafe is not the best. The layout of the space is bad. The meals are just 'okay'.

Enjoyable and rewarding experience so far!

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

True feeling that employees are valued and career growth is important. Company culture is warm and welcoming and their values and integrity are apparent in all that they do. Work-life balance is emphasized and encouraged.

Cons

It is very structured and process oriented- finding how to navigate these processes takes a lot of time and training.

The interview process takes a very long time with many days or even weeks without contact.

Best place I have worked in my life

Current Employee - Marketing Associate in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Marketing Associate in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Even though I am very busy relative to my past company, I feel more appreciated. Work life balance is something Purina always talks about and I appreciate that. I have a lot of responsibility in my role and I like that. However, my leaders respect my time and want me to have a balanced life. I love the culture and how people respect each other. Even as a new person, my opinion was highly valued

Cons

Even though I am not dissatisfied, benefits on vacation/sick time could be better. Since I have small children, I have to use my Vacation time as sick time. I wish those were seperate

Keep working on taking action on making work life balance better

First year review of NPPC

Current Employee - Maintenance
    Current Employee - Maintenance

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pay, pension, vacation and vacation pay, 401k, medical benifits. Working for a large company is nice in many ways. Before my one year anniversary I was already enrolled in offsite electrical/PLC training. I have been trying to get into trainig with previous jobs for 8 years now!

Cons

GO GO GO. Big company has goals it needs to reach. Very fast paced environment. I personally like it. Keeps me on my toes.

At times there seems to be confusion in the department I am part of. My Team lead isnt always involved in the planning of jobs and work to be done on down days and so on. I am not sure what the reason is. Maybe he has too many other things going on. Also there seems to be a handful of people that like to create busy work. Not a big problem, but i beleieve it would be more effiecent if the group was lead by one person, and that person had all the schedueling and manpower arranged.

Dec 22, 2014Nestlé Purina Human Resources Team

Hello! We are happy to hear that you are enjoying your role at Purina and are taking full advantage of the training opportunities. Thank you for sharing your feedback about the confusion within your ... More

Great place if you fit the mold

I worked at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- Inspiring people, hard working environment, bring your pets to work.

Cons

Purina is a very political environment.

Dec 22, 2014Nestlé Purina Human Resources Team

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us. We agree that the associates at Purina are a huge part of what makes us such an amazing place to work and are what give us our unique culture. We would ... More

Great company that still is looking to take things to the next level.

Current Employee - Finance Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The culture is one of the best I have been a part of. I am proud of where I work. Compensation lacks versus competition but the working environment and people more than make-up for it.

Cons

You are "on" all of the time and many times receive requests while on PTO or your manager sets precedent and emails during their time off.

I believe changes are needed and the decisions are clear to see in terms of structure but no one wants to rock the boat. We need leaders who are willing to make the right decisions for the business versus doing what has been done in the past or will cause the least waves.

I think diversity in leadership is needed to keep us from being complacent and thinking the same way. It is great to see people move up the ranks and with long tenure but it can also make things stale. I also think at times leadership is out of touch with the organization and there is lack of alignment of priorities.

Dec 22, 2014Nestlé Purina Human Resources Team

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and share with us your feedback. Our Leadership team has heard your concerns through Glassdoor and from the Purina Insights survey results and are ... More

Nestlé Purina PetCare Photos