Nestlé Purina PetCare

Updated September 26, 2014
4.3

Nestlé Purina PetCare President and CEO Pat McGinnis
Pat McGinnis

Pros
  • Work Life Balance: I am able to balance the work with my desire to be a dedicated family person (in 86 reviews)

• I also enjoy that everyone can bring their pets to work at the corporate office where I work (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • My only other 'complaint' is that work-life balance can sometimes be a struggle (in 21 reviews)

• Some weeks require long hours with little to no compensation time being offered by management (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Best place I've ever worked

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

I've worked in a number of businessed through my career. This is honestly the best place I've ever worked. The people are commited and enthusiastic. The energy and passion about the business is palpable. People actually talk to each other and care about what they're doing. It's definitely more than a job--it's a career. I think I'll be ending my career with this company.

Cons

You need to be prepared for the pace. Things happen very quickly and you need to be ready to dive in and respond. I don't think this kind of environment is for everyone but I find it very dynamic and responsive.

Keep building transparency. Communication is always a challenge within any organization and this one is no different. You can never communicate too much.

Best Company to Work for!

Current Employee - Territory Manager  in  Remote, OR
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Remote, OR

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time for more than a year

Pros

- They value their employees and demonstrate that through a variety of ways including: In-House Training, Internships within the company in order to get exposure to other departments, strong work-life balance, making remote employees feel they are still involved with HQ by offering frequent opportunities to travel to STL, the list goes on and on!

-The best pro of Purina, though, is the value they place on Pets and their welfare. Whether it is in charitable donations, bringing your pets to work with you or the immense R & D that goes into their products, pets are really the passion of Purina and not just the end consumer.

Cons

-The neccesity to move for promotional opportunities unless you are located in St .Louis, however their relocation package is very generous.

Continue to keep the company culture intact as it has since the founding by William Danforth, Purina is one of a kind!

Fantastic place to work for motivated indivuals

Current Employee - Senior Engineer  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company is open, honest and direct with their employees. They compensate the employees well and expect a lot from them. It's a great place to work if you like challenges and the opportunity to learn and grow. Fantastic career options within the company.

Cons

Large corporate structure make policy and procedure feel very rigid.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Dream Job

Current Employee - Database Administrator  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Database Administrator in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

The people that work for Nestlé Purina PetCare are highly skilled, driven, and easy to work with. Management is kind and understanding as well as wanting to help grow you as an employee as much as they want to grow the business. Nestlé Purina PetCare brings a small business (fun and free) atmosphere to a huge company with no where to go but up! Lastly they treat contractors with all of the same considerations as employees, this is rare and appreciated.

Cons

I wouldn't consider this a con but more of a consideration. This is a demanding industry and that requires a demanding schedule. There is not a shortage of work and it wont be hard to find yourself putting in 45 hours a week just keeping things on track. It ebbs and flows but it is something you need to be prepared for.

Keep it up!

A great place to work, grow, and expand your career!

Current Employee - Team Leader  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Team Leader in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time for more than a year

Pros

Compensation: very fair, higher than average for the area
    Work Life Balance: Can't be beat. Purina is flexible and supports it's employees and their families
    Career Advancement: Put into the employees hands...you own your own career here. Trying new things and mobility is encouraged
    Company Values: Obviously pets, but employees are treated fairly and equaly. This is a truly global corporation and you gain knowledge from interacting wtih your global counterparts

Cons

Corporate Holidays: THere are very few corporate holidays recognized by Nestle
    Promotions: This is a very horizontal organization...you have much more opportunity to move around at your current level

Treats everyone like family

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

NPPC is a company that will help their employees. It started with Ralston, when I lost my young daughter to cancer, and to me surviving cancer twice. Everyone here at the company rallied around me and showed tremendous support. I would not have survived without the support of my fellow associates and leadership. I would recommend NPPC to anyone looking for a job.

Cons

Interviewing for a new role is stressful. NPPC wants the best of the best and they conduct the interviews to maintain this standard

Amazing place to work!

Current Employee - Operations Planning Senior Planning Coordinator  in  Clinton, IA
    Current Employee - Operations Planning Senior Planning Coordinator in Clinton, IA

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

This is an incredible company to work for! You come to work every day feeling like a valued employee and it is known that what you do impacts every day operations. I have worked places where you are just a number and that is not the case at Nestle Purina PetCare. I also feel that the employee recognition is outstanding and far Nestle has set the bar that other companies should strive to reach!

Cons

There are few cons to working at Nestle Purina PetCare. There are always weeks where you have to stay a little later to get the job done but the work is always recognized, and overall the work-life balance is easy to keep.

We recently had a member of upper management visit our facility. He came around and personally met each employee and was genuinely interested in who we are. It was such a refreshing thing to see and everyone I spoke with felt the same way. To have someone from the top tier recognize each of us worker bees is an amazing feeling and truly makes each of us feel valued in our positions.

Outstanding Company

Current Employee - Purina Veterinary Consultant
    Current Employee - Purina Veterinary Consultant

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time for more than a year

Pros

Nestle Purina is hands down the best company I have every worked for. This company cares about the success of their people. They care about a healthy balance between work and personal life and are willing to help in any aspect. Lots of opportunity for advancement within the Nestle Corporation.

Cons

No cons at this time

Continue to look to the PVC's for ideas to grow the business.

We Love Pets

Current Employee - Director  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Director in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I planned to stay 6 years tops and am still here almost 25 years later. There are many cross functional and multi-market career opportunitities to deeply learn the business, our retail environment and our consumers. We have many smart, dedicated and innovative people here. Everyone works hard to make a difference - for pets, for our community and for each other. We have a Diversity and Inclusion Council. We have Pat McGinnis.

Cons

Some roles I have had required substantial travel and/or time investment though I always felt that the investments were my choice. There are challenges working for a global organization that can slow us down.

Keep raising the bar and sustain our culture.

Great Place to Work, Regardless of Experience Level

Current Employee - Supply Chain Analyst
    Current Employee - Supply Chain Analyst

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I interned at Purina over 3 years ago - and after interviewing at many other places - I still pursued a position at Purina the hardest. After learning about so many other companies, their people, and their cultures; it confirmed to me that Purina is one of the best. Since starting, I have had the opportunity to work in 3 different roles within my 3 years I have been here at Purina. They provide best-in-class training, mentoring, and career guidance that has allowed me to do what I have a passion for; which has made my career very enjoyable thus far. Coming straight from college with little experience, the mentoring and training has made a huge difference and allowed me to accel my knowledge rapidly. Purina also offers educational assitance and great worklife balance, which has allowed me to finish my Master's degree very quickly.

Cons

Some companies that sell higher profitable items, or that are private, are able to pay their employees a bit more for similar jobs. Also, a lot of people have very high tenure at Purina (and Nestle in general,) which means as you progress through your career, the higher up you go - the harder it can be to get a promotion. Both of these is why a few people tend to leave to company; but for the most part people stay their whole careers. You will see notes going out for peoples 25th, 30th, 35th, and even 40th service aniverseries - which doesn't happen that much in this day-in-age at other companies.

Keep the great mentorship and knowledge sharing going. Continue to push for the innovation and product supply excellence taht we are known for so we can delight customers and ensure future growth. Keep salaries competitive so that people have little reason to leave Purina.

Nestlé Purina PetCare Photos

Worked for Nestlé Purina PetCare? Contribute to the Community!