Nestlé Purina PetCare

Updated December 15, 2014
4.6

Nestlé Purina PetCare President and CEO Pat McGinnis
Pat McGinnis

Pros
  • The work/life balance here is definitely a perk for anyone here especially with children (in 107 reviews)

• I also enjoy that everyone can bring their pets to work at the corporate office where I work (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • My only other 'complaint' is that work-life balance can sometimes be a struggle (in 27 reviews)

• Some weeks require long hours with little to no compensation time being offered by management (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

A very special culture that delivers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pride in producing great pet food. Culture is centered on five principles (talls). It offers very good benefits (defined benefit pension plan, pets allowed in the workplace, day care on campus, etc.). Very good corporate citizen with contributions to local and national organizations, pet and human. Finally, a significant percentage of employees will become retirement eligible within five years; thus, advancement opportunity.

Cons

The culture does not value, hopefully yet, cross-departmental career moves. This means that a younger employee interested in moving across functions (Sales, Finance, Marketing, etc.) will have to work harder to achieve the transfer.

Nestlé Purina PetCare Response

Nov 21, 2014Manager of Talent Sourcing

Hello. I’m Jadea and I’m the manager of our employment brand. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoy the many aspects of Purina’s culture – thanks for sharing! I’m sorry to hear that you don’t feel ... More

Great Place to Work!

I worked at Nestlé Purina PetCare part-time (less than an year)

Pros

This company offers a great work/life balance, and its obvious that management really cares about their employees. Co-workers are extremely helpful and great to work with!

Cons

As in any organization, it can be difficult to manage multiple priorities on limited resources. Also, upward mobility is difficult because people love working there, so nobody wants to leave.

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Engineering Trainee in Clinton, IA
    Current Employee - Engineering Trainee in Clinton, IA

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

As a pet lover, I enjoy coming to work and being surrounded by dogs( and sometimes cats) most days.

Cons

There are a few downsides to working at Nestle Purina. The location is a remote area.

Nestlé Purina PetCare Response

Nov 13, 2014Nestlé Purina Human Resources Team

Thank you for your comments on working at Purina! As a management trainee, we hope that you are enjoying the rotational program and gaining a full understanding of how our factories operate. While ... More

Wonderful coworkers and great community involvement

Current Employee - QA Specialist in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - QA Specialist in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company cares about workers and the community we are in. Can bring pets to work. Great benefits

Cons

Not a lot of mobility options for technical jobs, no one leaves

Working with dogs has been my passion for over 40 years, havining employment that supports my passion is ideal!

Current Employee - Area Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Area Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great supervision, friendly work enviroment, the opportunity for salary increase and promotions....

Cons

Demanding job as far as time spent on computer, combined with the travel required.....

Too much time spent on "stuff" not pertinent to getting my job done.........

NPPC is a company that does the right things for the right reasons.

Current Employee - Director in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Director in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

NPPC has a unique culture of pet-lovers who work their hardest to provide the best quality products to help animals live long and healthy lives.
    Great atmosphere of collaboration and high productivity.
    Very good benefits
    Work-life balance is encouraged
    Many opportunities within NPPC and the mother company, Nestle, including international assignments.

Cons

Very little diversity at the top--dominated by white males. Upper management is very insular--very seldom seen on the floors or interacting with associates.

I would suggest making a concerted effort to come down from the 15th floor and mingle with associates.
    For example, after a Face-to-Face meeting there is often a Lobby event that teams put a great deal of time and effort into and rarely to any of the ELT or VPs make time to stop by and see what is happening and interact.
    As to promotions, there is a perception that many are based on who you know, where you went to high school, who you duck hunt with, rather than actual performance.

Great Place to Work!

Current Employee - Marketing Associate in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Marketing Associate in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone is genuinely passionate about the company and the products we produce. The managers ensure to keep their employees' career goals top of mind and help you to achieve your goals.

Cons

I love working here and do not have any negative feedback.

Nestle is a respected company that has a strong commitment to producing quality products based on science and innovation

Current Employee - Purina Veterinary Consultant in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Purina Veterinary Consultant in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Interesting work with fantastic people to work with - Lots of brilliant minds, enthusiasm and creativity. Decent work/life balance, salary and great benefits.

Cons

As an outside sales person, my work is never done :-)

Working in a multinational inspiring company for years and never one minute tired off it

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Purina is an inspiration when it comes to the culture and the people that work here. I have been with the company many years and always found new and exciting challenges. Purina provides an environment where you can personally grow and learn. You really feel that your contribution to the overall result counts and that you are valued for what you deliver. The values and deep routed foundation of PURINA are at the heart of everything that is done - from top management to the bottom. You feel the passion everywhere not only for developping and producing the best quality pet food but also for pets wellbeing in general- as well as for employees and their families. Personally I had a life changing event and my Line Manager reacted very quickly and supported me with a very flexible solution so I was able to continue to work. I am not sure this would have been possible somewhere else! Another good part of PURINA is that you can bring your pet to work. This allows for more flexibility and is sheer fun. The overall benefits offered by Nestlé Purina are outstanding from health & wellness opportunities to pension to training etc. I canot think of a potential benefit that is not available...

Cons

Not everything is always rosy though the genuine passion that exists should stop anyone from complaining too much. Usually complaints are dealt with immediatly and in a satisfying way but sometimes things take time. Some of the HQ rooms could do with some refurbishment and up-dating but things are well underway.A lot is done already to enhance work- life balance however some Line Manager training on this might be useful for them to act more as role model.

Continue to listen to your employees and their ideas. Also continue to share transparently with all staff.

Working at Nestle Purina has been a wonderful rewarding experience for me. I have never been so happy in a job!

Current Employee - Field Representative in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Field Representative in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

I am surround by people who have passion for the product.

Cons

Change can sometimes be an obstacle, as in any work place.

Respect is earned by actions.

Nestlé Purina PetCare Photos