Nestlé Purina PetCare

Updated December 15, 2014
4.6

Nestlé Purina PetCare President and CEO Pat McGinnis
Pat McGinnis

Pros
  • The work/life balance here is definitely a perk for anyone here especially with children (in 107 reviews)

• I also enjoy that everyone can bring their pets to work at the corporate office where I work (in 39 reviews)

Cons
  • My only other 'complaint' is that work-life balance can sometimes be a struggle (in 27 reviews)

• Some weeks require long hours with little to no compensation time being offered by management (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

A very special culture that delivers

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pride in producing great pet food. Culture is centered on five principles (talls). It offers very good benefits (defined benefit pension plan, pets allowed in the workplace, day care on campus, etc.). Very good corporate citizen with contributions to local and national organizations, pet and human. Finally, a significant percentage of employees will become retirement eligible within five years; thus, advancement opportunity.

Cons

The culture does not value, hopefully yet, cross-departmental career moves. This means that a younger employee interested in moving across functions (Sales, Finance, Marketing, etc.) will have to work harder to achieve the transfer.

Nestlé Purina PetCare Response

Nov 21, 2014Manager of Talent Sourcing

Hello. I’m Jadea and I’m the manager of our employment brand. It is wonderful to hear that you enjoy the many aspects of Purina’s culture – thanks for sharing! I’m sorry to hear that you don’t feel ... More

Great Place to Work!

I worked at Nestlé Purina PetCare part-time (less than an year)

Pros

This company offers a great work/life balance, and its obvious that management really cares about their employees. Co-workers are extremely helpful and great to work with!

Cons

As in any organization, it can be difficult to manage multiple priorities on limited resources. Also, upward mobility is difficult because people love working there, so nobody wants to leave.

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Engineering Trainee in Clinton, IA
    Current Employee - Engineering Trainee in Clinton, IA

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

As a pet lover, I enjoy coming to work and being surrounded by dogs( and sometimes cats) most days.

Cons

There are a few downsides to working at Nestle Purina. The location is a remote area.

Nestlé Purina PetCare Response

Nov 13, 2014Nestlé Purina Human Resources Team

Thank you for your comments on working at Purina! As a management trainee, we hope that you are enjoying the rotational program and gaining a full understanding of how our factories operate. While ... More

Great mission, great culture, great people, great technology.

Current Employee - IT Business Analyst in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - IT Business Analyst in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The work is challenging and you're given the space and resources to learn what you need. The culture is supportive and co-workers are motivated to help you. The focus is on results. They have an impressive institutional system for professional development.

Cons

The workload can be significant and you need to be able to manage your time, organize the work and negiotate with your manager on the number of tasks or projects assigned to you.

Wonderful coworkers and great community involvement

Current Employee - QA Specialist in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - QA Specialist in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Company cares about workers and the community we are in. Can bring pets to work. Great benefits

Cons

Not a lot of mobility options for technical jobs, no one leaves

Working with dogs has been my passion for over 40 years, havining employment that supports my passion is ideal!

Current Employee - Area Manager in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Area Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great supervision, friendly work enviroment, the opportunity for salary increase and promotions....

Cons

Demanding job as far as time spent on computer, combined with the travel required.....

Too much time spent on "stuff" not pertinent to getting my job done.........

NPPC is a company that does the right things for the right reasons.

Current Employee - Director in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Director in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

NPPC has a unique culture of pet-lovers who work their hardest to provide the best quality products to help animals live long and healthy lives.
    Great atmosphere of collaboration and high productivity.
    Very good benefits
    Work-life balance is encouraged
    Many opportunities within NPPC and the mother company, Nestle, including international assignments.

Cons

Very little diversity at the top--dominated by white males. Upper management is very insular--very seldom seen on the floors or interacting with associates.

I would suggest making a concerted effort to come down from the 15th floor and mingle with associates.
    For example, after a Face-to-Face meeting there is often a Lobby event that teams put a great deal of time and effort into and rarely to any of the ELT or VPs make time to stop by and see what is happening and interact.
    As to promotions, there is a perception that many are based on who you know, where you went to high school, who you duck hunt with, rather than actual performance.

Great Place to Work!

Current Employee - Marketing Associate in Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Marketing Associate in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Everyone is genuinely passionate about the company and the products we produce. The managers ensure to keep their employees' career goals top of mind and help you to achieve your goals.

Cons

I love working here and do not have any negative feedback.

Nestle is a respected company that has a strong commitment to producing quality products based on science and innovation

Current Employee - Purina Veterinary Consultant in Baltimore, MD
    Current Employee - Purina Veterinary Consultant in Baltimore, MD

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Interesting work with fantastic people to work with - Lots of brilliant minds, enthusiasm and creativity. Decent work/life balance, salary and great benefits.

Cons

As an outside sales person, my work is never done :-)

We Never Give Up

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Nestle Purina is a great place to work. I've been allowed the flexibility to manage my work and my life; have moved for advancement but also stayed in my current location for advancement. Amazing spirit of collaboration and competitiveness among the associates. Even when the category is soft, this company delivers.

Cons

Competitive category is sometimes stressful for associates' performance goals.

Nestlé Purina PetCare Photos