Nestlé Purina PetCare

Updated August 26, 2014

4.4

Nestlé Purina PetCare President and CEO Pat McGinnis
Pat McGinnis

Pros
  • Everyone is very friendly and a healthy work-life balance is encouraged (in 67 reviews)

• Everyone loves to bring their pets to work, but the company is also focused on its associates (in 23 reviews)

Cons
  • Projects sometimes demands long hours, so employee needs to be protective of work-life balance during these times (in 13 reviews)

• I work long hours and work every other weekend at least (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to start your career!

Current Employee - Analyst
    Current Employee - Analyst

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I was fresh out of college when I was hired 4 years ago, and my Manager told me, "the sky is the limit" for you - and I could not agree more. I think that Nestlé Purina is an outstanding company to work for, and they truely want you to succeed. Everyone around me has been here for 10, 20, even 30+ years and it feels like a family. I highly recommend applying for a career here if you are considering it.

Cons

I don't have any negative feelings about this company. For someone coming in, the only con would be that there are minimal openings since employees spend their entire careers here and the turnover rate is low.

May 5, 2014Employment Branding Specialist

We’re thrilled to hear your experience with Purina is such a positive one. We strive to offer every associate the opportunity to advance their career whether that’s within their respective department ... More

I love working here!

Current Employee - IT Project Manager  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

This is a company that actually cares about its people. Good work is noticed and applauded by management. The entire culture here is one of positivity, encouragement and team orientation. And I love it that people bring dogs to work. How could that possibly be a negative?

Cons

I honestly can't think of any.

Keep valuing your people and supporting such a wonderful work culture!

Passion for both Pets and People!

Current Employee - Human Resources
    Current Employee - Human Resources

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I've worked in more than one operating company with Nestle, and all of my experiences have been positive (great people, pay, benefits, and interesting work). However, there is something special about the culture at Nestle Purina Pet Care. Their passion for both pets and people is evident, and leadership ensures that it is a workplace filled with strategy, creativity, top-notch talent, professional growth, and a focus on our core consumers.

Cons

Many of our locations are in "small town America" (except the headquarters, which is in St. Louis). While the geographics can be a deterrent for some people, I find our locations to be refreshing.

Keep focusing on the awesome culture that is NPPC- it's very noticeable and appreciated- even by those of us that have been with Nestle for years.

Jun 10, 2014Employment Branding Specialist

Thanks for sharing your perspective on our culture. It’s truly unique and something special. Our passion for pets and our people starts at the top with our dedicated leadership team … from there ... More

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun, secure place to work.

Current Employee - Engineer  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Engineer in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

You can move up quickly if you are willing to relocate. Pets are allowed at work in most roles, and there is a fair amount of flexibility in your work schedule. Diversity is heavily promoted and used as a factor in selecting candidates to interview. Vacation, health care and other benefits are above average.

Cons

If you are not mobile, advancement can be slow. Since the parent company is Swiss, the company is becoming more process-oriented and bureaucratic, which is making us less competitive in the marketplace.

Resist the bureaucratic tendencies of Nestle as long as possible. It is making us less competitive versus our competition.

The people are what really makes Purina so special

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time for more than a year

Pros

Having the luxury of enjoying the time you spend at your job isn't a benefit everyone is able to receive. But at Purina, it seems to be a common theme no matter your functional area or location. The work is challenging and exciting and the people make it a fun place to be. Sometimes, the work is even fun. Pet's in the work place helps make the work place more relaxed and enjoyable environment.

Cons

Sometimes there is a lack of communication between management and associates about upcoming changes in the team's structure. Also, parking is an issues at headquarters. Please build a parking garage!

Jun 10, 2014Employment Branding Specialist

We are so glad that you are able to enjoy the time you spend at work, which is definitely a rare benefit. Communication is key to a positive work environment, and we recognize that there is always ... More

Great company!

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people here are smart, considerate, team-oriented. There is opportunity for movement within the company, and management genuinely cares about your career goals and aspirations.

Cons

Being a big company, it is slow to move. Progress often takes longer because of multiple stakeholders.

Excellent Company!!!!

Current Employee - Anonymous  in  Saint Louis, MO
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Saint Louis, MO

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time for less than a year

Pros

Nestle Purina truly cares about its employees! Upper management definitely values each employee's contribution and recognizes that its people are an integral part of the company.

Coming from a company where there was absolutely no work-life balance, Purina has been absolutely wonderful.

Cons

None :) I absolutely love Nestle Purina!

Please keep sharing your years of knowledge and experience, so that the company never loses its foundation (the 5 talks) :)

Incredible Learning Experience

Former Employee - Intern Engineer  in  Flagstaff, AZ
    Former Employee - Intern Engineer in Flagstaff, AZ

I worked at Nestlé Purina PetCare as an intern for more than a year

Pros

You are given a lot of freedoms to learn and grow as an engineer here. You are given your own projects to manage, so you get excellent experience.

Cons

Not true for all internships, but I worked during the school year which I found to be very stressful.

Apr 23, 2014Talent Sourcing

We're so glad to hear you are gaining a lot of great experience from your Internship! We hope you consider us for a full-time role after graduation. You should visit our website at ... More

New hire experience

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great work life balance, new hire training and orientation is world class, products that I really connect and believe in

Cons

So far the only issue is space with limited parking (what can you expect downtown)

Great company in theory, but they do not believe in work/life balance at all.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Crete, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Crete, NE

I have been working at Nestlé Purina PetCare full-time for more than a year

Pros

Large company with lots of advancement opportunity if you are willing to relocate.
    Benefits are well balanced between cost and quality.
    Everyone genuinely loves pets and wants to do what's best for them.
    The quality cannot be beat. I will never feed my pets anything again.

Cons

I work long hours and work every other weekend at least. I am not allotted compensation time.
    Projects that are given to me are unrealistic to complete in the desired timeframe.
    Management is held to a completely different set of rules than anyone else.

Care about your people a lot more. Promote people that are actually liked and personable instead of the most disliked person in the office.

May 5, 2014Employment Branding Specialist

We really appreciate the feedback – thank you for bringing these matters to our attention. In particular, we take your comments regarding the current work/life balance and management concerns very ... More

Worked for Nestlé Purina PetCare? Contribute to the Community!