Nestlé Reviews

Updated August 29, 2014

3.5

Nestlé CEO Paul Bulcke
Paul Bulcke

Pros
  • Work life balance is excellent, pretty laid back at retail level (in 17 reviews)

• Extremely healthy work environment between peers, co-workers, and superiors (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • My manager ( not married) has a different sense of work life balance (in 16 reviews)

• Poor career management with too much time spent in networking to get next position (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Well-established Swiss Company

Former Employee - Intern  in  Caracas, Capital District (Venezuela)
    Former Employee - Intern in Caracas, Capital District (Venezuela)

I worked at Nestlé as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Proven methods, sense of security, stability, friendly people.

Cons

Hard to break paradigms because of its Swiss roots.

Let employees break the mold once in a while.

Great place to work, but slow-paced internal culture

Former Employee - Senior Business Specialist  in  São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)
    Former Employee - Senior Business Specialist in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

I worked at Nestlé full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great work-life balance
    International exposure
    Stable environment

Cons

Slow-paced internal culture
    Lack of transparency on succession planning

More transparent info on career planning (high-potentials, succession planning)

Internship

Current Employee - Summer Intern  in  Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Current Employee - Summer Intern in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I have been working at Nestlé as an intern for less than a year

Pros

A great learning curve. Good compensation, excellent work-life balance and the people you meet are some of the best in the industry.

Cons

If you're working for the first time in your life, the work could seem to be challenging initially. Also, depending on your interests, some of the verticals might not appeal to you.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

To call it dreadful would be an understatement. Like the majority of my peers, I can’t wait to find another job & leave

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Dubai (United Arab Emirates)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dubai (United Arab Emirates)

I have been working at Nestlé full-time

Pros

- Are you mediocre? Then Nestle is the place for you.
    - Looking to get pregnant and raise children? Nestle is the answer, plus you get free milk and yes, you will still get promoted as a reward for being absent for 6 months on maternity leave.
    - Looking for the security and culture of a governmental job? Join Nestle (minus leaving at 3 pm)
    - A social butterfly? Your success is guaranteed
    - You speak French? An added advantage that can grant some benefits
    - Need to be micromanaged? you will love it at Nestle
    - Lebanese? You will definitely fit in.

Cons

- Lack of training and development (Nestle will guarantee that you become unemployable by eroding your competencies, skills and knowledge)
    - Lack of career growth and career development (brace yourself for 7 year intervals between promotions).
    - Lack of transparency (but mind you, it is a core value)
    - Lack of trust (again another core value)
    - Lacks diversity (I stand corrected; there are Lebanese – French, Lebanese – Canadian, Lebanese – American, Lebanese – Ivorian, Lebanese – Christian, Lebanese – Muslim, Lebanese- Druze, Lebanese – Maronite)
    - Lacks an entrepreneurial spirit (want to know what it feels like to be a robot? Join Nestle)
    - There is a lack of competitive spirit internally (we are one happy family. We do the same things at the same time and get the same reward)
    - Poor working conditions (try to envision a soviet style factory, a cooperative, a third world government entity, that’s pretty much what Nestle regional offices in Dubai - DWC are like. And if you ever wondered what prison lunch is like, visit the Nestle cafeteria…it enjoys the same charm and quality)
    - Below average payers. However, they claim to be average payers who offer other great benefits; the Nestle culture and the Nestle values (legal tender in several leading banks)
    - No schooling allowance
    - Bad health insurance (coverage in hospitals where your condition is guaranteed to worsen. Fortunately you can pay for an upgraded plan, unfortunately ‘Nestle Culture’, and ‘Nestle Values’ not recognized as legal tender in this situation by Nestle!)
    - An example of how double standards are exercised at a corporate level:
    a. Nestle value 1, challenging the status quo. Reality: if you do it, you will be labelled as an anti-team player.
    b. Nestle value 2, open door policy. Reality: try to have a conversation with the HR or the HR director himself; a career ending move.
    c. Nestle value 3, compete internally. Reality: you do and you’re labeled as lacking cooperation
    - They will never fire you. But they will drive you to resign

Offer transparency during the interview period, improve pay and working conditions, challenge the status quo, develop training and career growth, reward achievements not just longevity.

Finance Manager

I worked at Nestlé full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Excelent reputation, several opportunities for growth and for a long career mainly for the ones with mobility

Cons

Very political and takes some time to build your own networking due to size of the company. Many times seniority is taken into consideration for promotions.

Meritocracy should be reinforced in all levels

Sending all IT areas to 3rd party companies

Current Employee - IT Specialist  in  São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)
    Current Employee - IT Specialist in São Paulo, São Paulo (Brazil)

I have been working at Nestlé full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

So far everything was ok.
    If you have a good leader, you are safe.
    Good benefits. Above the average.
    Good salary. A little above the average.

Cons

Company is sending all IT areas to 3rd party companies in India.
    Salary review is below the inflation.
    That means people will get fired.
    Not many opportunities lately.
    Every 3 years a big change can get you fired.

Some were promoted to leaders shouldn't be there. Review all and send those to an area without any employees above them.

Nestle Nutrition

Former Employee - Material and Recipe Management  in  Vevey (Switzerland)
    Former Employee - Material and Recipe Management in Vevey (Switzerland)

I worked at Nestlé as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Learned a lot, and had wonderful co-workers. As an intern, the salary was great.

Cons

I fundamentally disagreed with many of the nutritional guidelines they had in their infant formulas. As a leading health-food brand, I expected them to be more diligent about providing safe, healthy foods to infants.

All in all it is a good company to work for. Good benefits, pay scale not so good for someone who has been here 20 yrs.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Nestlé full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

People, passion for the customers, benefits.

Cons

Work life balance could be a bit better. All the processes, rules, etc. and the mutitude of audits gets to be a bit daunting when you cannot more your day to day work forward.

Allow us time to develop ourselves and employees and we can only spend so much time getting ready for audits, continuous improvement, etc. without it affecting our quality of work on the day to day items.

Disappointing experience that didn't meet expectations

I have been working at Nestlé full-time for more than a year

Pros

Successful organisation with a truly global perspective.

Cons

Little real opportunity for development, culture unsupportive and hostile environment where you feel you have to constantly ask questions to understand what is required. Leadership is on the whole poor and internal politics rife. Very flat environment to work in and truly uninspiring.

This could be a great business however the rules around how you are required to work and focus on process rather than genuine improvement made it impossible to meet huge workload requirements and there was no opportunity to be creative in looking for better ways of working. Systems need improving and leadership need to enthuse and inspire not constantly focus on the negatives. I wouldn't recommend the company on the basis of my experience however I would encourage people to do their homework thoroughly to determine if this is the right culture for you as for me it wasn't.

Healthy work environment with lots of opportunities

I have been working at Nestlé

Pros

challenges help you grow professionally. Get to travel abroad on various projects

Cons

no work life balance can be achieved

have fixed working hours

Worked for Nestlé? Contribute to the Community!