Nestlé USA

Nestlé USA Reviews in Glendale, CA

Updated Jul 27, 2014

Nestlé USA Chairman & CEO Paul Grimwood

Paul Grimwood

Pros
  • Decent work/life balance compared to other industries (in 26 reviews)

• Good benefits but who knows how long that will last (in 31 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance is suffering because of limited resources and delays in filling openings (in 20 reviews)

• 60-80 weekly no work life balance (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights
75 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company for sales career

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Glendale, CA

ProsGreat development program and opportunities

ConsMultiple relocations are pretty much required to advance in the company

It was a good place to work. We are given the liberty to do our best based on set procedure.

Senior Programmer Analyst (Current Employee) Glendale, CA

ProsWe are given the liberty to do our best based on set procedure.

ConsThe company is outsourcing most of the business support functions. We are consultants/contractors.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs contractor/consultant you are most likely stuck with your current position.

Good for a few years, but don't stay too long

Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Glendale, CA

ProsLost of training through Neslte University. You get to work with people all over the global, which is fun. The people are generally very nice and fun. They have great benefits, including a pension and 401k match and generous PTO.

ConsIt is very difficult to get promotions so people tend to stay in the same jobs a long time and lose their energy/excitement. The politics in many divisions are toxic, with only people who are very good at managing up getting the good assignments. It is very hierarchical and a bit of a boys' club. They have an unnecessary focus on what people wear and how they look.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't let people rot in roles - either move them up or out. Also, make sure you reward smart thinking and business results rather than political pandering.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best CPG Firm I've worked with!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Glendale, CA

Prosgreat collegues, extremely collaborative environment, great product portfolio

Constechnology could be better. Managable now, but could be more effective at what I do if I had better tools.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter collaboration/communication between OpCo's would be extremely helpful.

Lacking talent management

Manager (Former Employee) Glendale, CA

ProsSmart people
    Great Brands
    Some areas with strong team environment

ConsCompensation
    Career path
    Relationship-based versus performance-based promotions
    Employees viewed as transactions not talent
    HR leadership and integrity
    Too many priorities

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't ask employees to fill out surveys if problem areas are going to be dismissed or ignored. Look at the data and take action.

I feel very lucky to work here!

Recruiter (Current Employee) Glendale, CA

Proshigh quality leadership that is transparent about company vision and strategy; impressive board level involvement; collaborative atmosphere with really great people

Consas expected in a fast-paced, high growth environment, there is often a lot to do and not enough time in the day to do it all.

Great Flexibility and Wonderful Working Environment!

Recruiting Coordinator (Current Employee) Glendale, CA

ProsOne of the best things about Nestle is their dedication to employees and providing us with much flexibility and accomodations when needed! It allows you to have additional time for yourself and to pursue other dreams/hobbies.

ConsThere are no cons that I could think of. It is a very wonderful and pleasant working environment. With a huge gourmet cafeteria on-site and gym, there is no excuse not to love the company!

Company has lost focus of its most valuable asset

Manager (Current Employee) Glendale, CA

ProsGood benefits but who knows how long that will last. Some people still care about the company. Even with all the exceptionally poor senior management teams, there are still a few bright stars that give some sliver of hope

ConsHorrible work life balance; very slim advancement opportunities; unfair compensation rationale; no equal pay or gender balance

Advice to Senior ManagementMorale has never been lower. All the new rules and punishment, blame and shaming of your workforce will not create an atmosphere of trust, pride or winning. Executives need to walk the talk. It is disgraceful.

In need of change....

Human Resources (Current Employee) Glendale, CA

Pros- Good company, reputable, trusted brands across the globe
    - Good pay, benefits, etc.
    - Smart nice people to work with
    - Internal movement - almost all leadership roles are recruited from within (50% of hires are internal) - promotes employee development and career progression
    - Decent work/life balance compared to other industries

Cons- Must be mobile to be considered hi-potential/asset to company (accelerated career progression) - that means to must be willing to move to wherever the company resides (factories are in remote/rural areas)
    - Sr. Management communication lacking - not transparent
    - CEO (who's a Brit) appears to be out of touch with American (employees/consumers) - doesn't really understand or appears to take the time to understand how different the market is here in the states. His communication style is also interesting. He has some really good ideas that are needed to keep Nestle competitive, however the way he communicates these changes are lack-luster at best, can come off as condescending, and does not motivate. What was the purpose of taking away denim Fridays aside from the fact that it makes "us lazy" on Fridays...was it to exert your power (as most perceive) or something else? If it was something else I'd like to understand (I'm logical and if it makes business sense, I think more people would buy-in/support and not feel like it was a power move).

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on your people who is the heart of any company. If you send out a survey about how your employees feel - please care about the responses and do something about it.

Great place to work, but advancement can be slow

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Glendale, CA

ProsNestle is a stable company with excellent brands. The training department is excellent and the overall processes that are in-place set the individual up to succeed in their role. The WING is the name of the fitness center and it is very nice! The cafeteria is good and the cost is very reasonable. Benefits are very good and reasonably priced.

ConsI worked both from a home office and in Glendale. The office culture is a little bland, but that's not unexpected from a large company. The salaries are a bit below what other companies offer, but this is made-up by the low cost of the benefits.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake people a priority and help them to grow within the company. Continue to foster positive aspects of Nestle culture and make people continue to be proud of working for the company.

Worked for Nestlé USA? Contribute to the Community!