NetApp

3.7
1,185 Reviews

NetApp President & CEO Tom Georgens
Tom Georgens

Pros
  • Apparently they have a good work life balance which amounts to not doing much work (in 154 reviews)

• NetApp has been on the Fortune magazine's "great place to work" list for 12 years in a row (in 78 reviews)

Cons
  • Too much of work life balance leads to laziness in employees (in 27 reviews)

• Has its share of jerks in middle management that can make your life Hell (in 41 reviews)

More Highlights

5 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

NetApp is one of best companies to work for

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at NetApp full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

NetApp is a very progressive-minded company, and I would love to work for them again, given the opportunity.

Cons

Storage Sales individuals need to sell more than just the storage. There are many additional software offerings which can further enhance a NetApp acquisition, and customers will pay for the added functionality when it improves operational efficiency, as NetApp software will do.

Obtain and utilize 360 review information.

Horrible, harassing and stressful - expect PTSD

Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at NetApp full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

If you find the right position and work with a honorable group this is a great place to work. I quote one of the TMEs "I love this job! It's like being retired and collecting a paycheck".

Cons

There was no personal growth, no upward mobility, horrible salary increases, poor review processes. As an example, they use laddering to rate every person and enforce the bell curve so if you have a small team, the curve is skewed and a team of top performers could not all be ones or twos.

Stop the nepotism and promoting people who are the best suck-ups but not the best at their job. Look at the people who work for you and hold them accountable to NetApp's core values and walk the talk. too much lip service and not enough accountability.

It's ok

Current Employee - Enterprise AM in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Enterprise AM in Chicago, IL

I have been working at NetApp full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work/life balance is very good but a lot of the culture is overrated

Cons

Senior management is very stale

Empower the employees

Solid Place with Solid People

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at NetApp full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The people at NetApp are outstanding. If an employee or customer needs help there is always someone ready.

Cons

The work life balance is a little off at time but management is trying to address this topic. Recently the marketing has gotten ahead of some of the product capability. The company grew very fast and part of what motivated employees was the stock price and upward mobility with these absent many good people are leaving.

Great Place

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

good compensation. Respected company. If you are going to be working in the main headquarters @ Sunnyvale Ca. it is a different company. Very up beat and positive. If you are in the field there are none of the benefits.

Cons

Current cutbacks seriously hamper your ability to sell. NetApp is a great, growing company. They are a small company that got really big, really fast. They are not an enterprise player as they tout. They do not understand the concepts of selling in an enterprise space.

Get rid of some middle managment and add some resources to the field folks. We are dying out here. I am subsidizing your company by paying my own cell phones(>150$), eating most of my milage, travel, customer meals, and other travel expenses. it is silly.