NetApp

Updated Jul 22, 2014

3.7 1,038 reviews

NetApp President & CEO Tom Georgens

Tom Georgens

Pros
  • Good work life balance is the only thing that might keep an employee here(in 113 reviews)

• NetApp has been on the Fortune magazine's "great place to work" list for 12 years in a row(in 74 reviews)

Cons
  • The manager sets the tone for the group in terms of culture and work/life balance(in 25 reviews)

• Stagnation at middle management layer; Alignment issues at senior management layer(in 38 reviews)

1,038 Employee Reviews

Good company to WORK for.. that is, there is a lot of WORK!

Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Vienna, VA

ProsYou can always contribute to your hearts content. There is always an opportunity to *step* up... Pay is good. Expectations are high, but medium level performance is no punished. However, only stellar performance will truly appreciated. Doing your job is not rewarded. You must go above and beyond EVERY DAY to impress anyone. And NetApp always expects you to SUCK IT UP!

ConsUnreasonably high-expectations. Sometimes, no good deed is left unpunished. If you try to be proactive sometimes, you will be left with more work/responsibilities and the same pay. It is almost impossible to get promoted, unless you know the right people and report to an office weekly. That is, in remote positions, work-from-home, you cannot expect a promotion, until you take it upon yourself to take a office position or just go to the office all the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company culture that many of us chose to join is wearing. That is, the opinion is that management makes its decisions today, solely based on what the shareholders want. The employee atmosphere is riddled with lay-offs. Even above-average, competent employees have to fear for their jobs at NetApp. The only good news is that lay-offs usually only happen in November, or January or March or April. And typically, if you can get past the April, EOFY lay-offs, and if you stay busy, you might be good until next April.

NetApp - Not as great as they used to be

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsNetApp does pay attention to the "Best Places to Work" criteria. The benefits are good and you have to admire the 40 hrs/year of paid volunteer time off.

ConsThe lack of discipline was OK as the company was growing, now that the company is a lot larger the "cowboy" way of creating products will hurt the company's ability to put out reliable products. But the company has a lot of "heros" who will put in long hours to solve a critical customer problem.

Advice to Senior ManagementFeed the input from customer advocacy back and implement into all parts of the company.

Please come back to Oregon!

Order Management Specialist (Former Employee) Beaverton, OR

ProsTruly deserves their ranking of one of the Top 10 places to work. There's lots of upward mobility potential if you live in Silicone Valley, Wichita, KS, or North Carolina.

ConsNo longer an office in Oregon. Would love to continue to work for this company, however they have very limited Telecommute opportunities, and it is extraordinarily expensive to live in CA so relocation isn't really a viable option for most.

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you have access to exemplary talent, such as you were presented with in Beaverton, Oregon, don't let them leave your company!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place; poor timing

Program Manager (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsCompany culture is its greatest strength. Great people doing great things are a joy to work with.

ConsWhile it was refteshing to work a realistic expectation given the many tasks on nearly everyone's plate, there were times when I wasn't sure that the folks knew what they were capable of accomplishing.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your focus on culture while keeping the innovation level at or above where it is.

Great culture, good product

Software Engineer II (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsWork with smart passionate people. Company is committed to customer success. Opportunities to work on on your own ideas, with support of management.

ConsBenefits lag comparable companies in the industry. Not much transparency into what the overall strategy is from upper level management. Management needs to take more risks and diversify the company through investments, M&A

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more informative about strategy,

Perfect work/life balance

Executive Assistant (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsNetApp enables me to have a work/life balance with the ability to grow into my current role.

ConsI do not have anything negative to report.

Best place to work? Are you kidding me?

Senior Engineer (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsThere are no pros that I can think of...

ConsPolitics everywhere... spreading like a cancer.... Get out while you can... I did.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetire and hire new leadership... Georgean is a joke. Employees only hear him once a quarter and emails about layoffs and best place work survey... What a joke.

NetApp is a great company to work for. The company culture is wonderful

Business Analyst (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsUpper management is really taking care of people. They provide excellent compensation and leadership is great.

ConsNow, it depends on who is the manager you are reporting to. Your direct manager makes a different on the experience of the company.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

good company go bad

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

Prosgood office hardware, lots of resources

Constoo many people doing nothing

Good company to work for

Systems Engineer (Former Employee)

ProsGreat pay and benefits
    Much talked about culture - can do attitudes and very helpful co-workers
    Knowledgeable senior leadership
    Great communication from senior executives via all hands meetings and initial new hire orientations

ConsNot all management is aligned with valued culture - sometimes just words and not demonstrated in actions
    Incentive compensation sometimes challenging around fiscal year end (receipt not always assured)
    Poor experience with integration of acquired companies and intellectual property
    Lack of career path opportunities from a management perspective (100% left up to employee to drive)
    Multiple corporate layoffs in the last 12 months

Advice to Senior ManagementCulture varies greatly by what office one works out of - this inconsistency is very discouraging to those in non-primary locations (meaning not in Sunnyvale, RTP or New York for example).

Worked for NetApp? Contribute to the Community!