NetApp
www.netapp.com Sunnyvale, CA 5000+ Employees

NetApp Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2011's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

Pros:
  • "It's a place where you feel you can make a difference without sacrificing your work-life balance"
    in 90 reviews
  • "NetApp has been on the Fortune magazine's "great place to work" list for 12 years in a row"
    in 70 reviews
Cons:
  • "The manager sets the tone for the group in terms of culture and work/life balance"
    in 21 reviews
  • "Stagnation at middle management layer; Alignment issues at senior management layer"
    in 34 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

NetApp IS a great place to work!

Professional Services Consultant (Current Employee)
Irvine, CA

I have been working at NetApp

ProsGood pay and benefits. Great opportunities to learn. Ability to touch all aspects of NetApp technologies. Good work life balance. Ability to choose areas of focus within you general job parameters.

ConsLots of change coming as NetApp adjusts to new senior leadership.

Advice to Senior ManagementEase back on changes in Professional Services, I think some employees are starting to think the sky is falling.

One of the best in Silicon Valley. What HP used to be like 20 years ago...

Market Development (Current Employee)

I have been working at NetApp

ProsGreat people, great management, winning technology. I feel I am really making a difference.

ConsNot many. You do have to deliver, which means often working hard, but you get rewarded.

Advice to Senior ManagementTom Georgens was a GREAT pick as the new CEO.

A very nice place to work

Raleigh, NC

I have been working at NetApp

ProsManagement listens closely to their employees and makes cahnges and adjustmetns quickly. This company is FOCUSED - we do storage - and nothing else.

ConsNo one is perfect, some of the lower mgmt are rather like working for a pizza store manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork to retain our good people and cut lose those who do not fit.

Great company to work for

MTS3 (Current Employee)
Cranberry Twp, PA

I have been working at NetApp

ProsCulture, People, pay and business model

Consvacation time and 401k are not very competitive, Less than industry standard.

Advice to Senior ManagementNothing

Company is very collaborative, with minimal politics.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
Waltham, MA

I worked at NetApp

ProsVery people oriented culture that is strongly supported by management. Company recognizes the need to change as it grows, and is quite committed to developing the needed processes, tools, and infrastructure. Management views the big picture, and is willing to tackle big problems.

ConsCompany does not have corporate wide product planning methodology or tools. Planning mechanisms are mostly ad hoc, on a group by group basis.

Advice to Senior ManagementProcesses to support better linkage between customer needs/desires/inputs and development plans is needed. Market needs vs engineering desires can be strengthened.

NetApp *is* a great place to work

NetApp *is* A Great Place to Work (Current Employee)

I have been working at NetApp

ProsCulture, autonomy, career advancement, great products, innovative

ConsNot enough cafes on campus

Advice to Senior Managementnone

Good Large Company

MTS-IV (Current Employee)

I have been working at NetApp

ProsNetapp has good benefits and the pace of work is ok. If you are looking for a large company, you could do a lot worse.

ConsThere is little opportuniity for advancement for MTS level staff, esp. since the company is not growing. But that is typically around here.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake decisions and stick with them. It seems that a higher than usual proportion of projects get cancelled or back burnered.

NetApp TSE

Technical Support Engineer III (Current Employee)
Durham, NC

ProsChallenging work, Typical day is 8 hours

ConsCase workload is excessive at times. Understaffed

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to add new hire Technical Support Engineer, so we can avoid burnout.

Once was great...

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at NetApp

ProsSunnyvale has a really nice modern campus and buildings..
Standard benefits for a high-tech company in Silicon Valley, and the benefits are really over and above if you have children.

Until a few years ago, we knew we were making a difference, knew we were helping to build something great, knew we were making history. We knew we were working too hard, and being paid too little, consuming more late night pizza and cola than bears thinking about, but wow, we were really having fun. We were all empowered to take risks, to innovate, and to drive change. Managers did real work. Executive management did a fantastic job with the vision, finances, etc; and was open, honest, trustworthy. Employees were loyal, and dedicated to doing something we could be proud of, and winning. It was all incredibly satisfying.

ConsEmployees are no longer empowered to innovate.
Management is making decisions for political or CYA reasons, rather than strategic reasons.
Middle managers hired from the outside by friends inside, or promoted from within to their level of incompetence.
Too many people doing little or nothing. Really good people let go in last Feb layoffs, and so many useless people retained, and still wandering around doing nothing. Incomprehensible.
Products go to market too fast. Too many bugs.
Infrastructure is falling apart, and funding to replace it is scarce or non-existent. IT seems to be exhausted (though that seems to be the case almost everywhere).

NetApp is no different from any other company now. As it matures, it is becoming fearful of change, inflexible, process heavy, hiring managers who are killing the once-extraordinary culture very rapidly, and hiring average or incompetent individual contributors who are just looking for a paycheck. Many formerly dedicated employees are becoming recruitable. There is a steady trickle out of people who cared, and when the job market gets easier, my guess is that it will be a rolling river.

Advice to Senior ManagementSlow down with the rushing to market - get stuff stable.
Review your middle management! Weed out the bozos. They are everywhere. Stop allowing their fear, personal agendas, and nepotism to rule. Set up an environment where passion and talent are valued, and watch innovation happen, all over again. Good luck.

Bad place to work if you are at the bottom of the food chain. Recognition doesn't happen on technical employees.

NGS Test Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at NetApp

ProsIf you are on a managerial position only. Not much layoffs. Market standard benefits. Salary as also the same as market standards.

ConsTop management doesn't recognize real contributor. Favoritism is all over the place. Too many people passing their workload to other people. Meetings there is equal to "blame storming" not "brain storming"

Advice to Senior ManagementStart acknowledging people and stop hogging the credits. Just remember that not all people are happy just having a job or just having the nice salary. If employees are not properly recognized for their work, they will tend to leave.

Worked for NetApp? Contribute to the Community!

NetApp Videos

NetApp – Why Work for Us?

At NetApp, your expertise is what drives our growing success NetApp is the ideal place to give your career a boost. Our global setting highly values and fosters a healthy and happy work-life balance. Plus, our… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at NetApp reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for NetApp CEO Tom Georgens. All 47 reviews posted anonymously by NetApp employees.