NetApp

Updated Jul 28, 2014

3.7 1,044 reviews

NetApp President & CEO Tom Georgens

Tom Georgens

Pros
  • Good work life balance is the only thing that might keep an employee here(in 115 reviews)

• NetApp has been on the Fortune magazine's "great place to work" list for 12 years in a row(in 74 reviews)

Cons
  • The manager sets the tone for the group in terms of culture and work/life balance(in 25 reviews)

• Stagnation at middle management layer; Alignment issues at senior management layer(in 39 reviews)

1,044 Employee Reviews

Once a special place, now just another big company

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsGreat technology, great engineers - there's still a vestige of what made this company great. People really want to innovate and do the right thing.

ConsManagement is overly political - they're more interested in who says what to whom than hearing the real issues. There's a lack of trust that pervades all decisions.

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the engineers do their thing - stop thinking that just asking for more will have favorable results.

It's just routine, nothing special, don't know why it appears in best companies to work for list. its just OK company.

Member Technical Staff, Software (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsTraining, work-life balance, senior management, culture. People around are very helpful. Management up to 2 levels above a normal employee is very good.

ConsTime off policies, too many unpaid shutdowns. There are no special benefits. Pretty much the same as any below avg company.

Advice to Senior ManagementUn-paid shutdowns, pretty much standard in fact on par only with below avg companies.

NetApp continues to lose great people....Recent earnings are disappointing

Marketing Manager (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsIt has always been a great place to work, smart people, great products. Until recent years...

ConsNetApp is losing its edge. Very sad to see, given it's leadership in SAN & NAS.

Advice to Senior ManagementLook for a great M&A option!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

The times, they are a changing...

ProsGood technology, senior management accessibility

ConsThere is more to a company than getting a GTPW award. Flat growth, difficult processes, culture erosion, and middle management incompetence all need to be addressed

Advice to Senior ManagementEqup your teams with the tools and autonomy to get things done.

Mostly positive.

Software Engineer (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsGenerally good place to work.

ConsBusiness not doing well, poor strategic planning/execution.

Interesting work, but highly disfunctional

Account Manager (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsCulture is amazing at NetApp from the HR team to the janitors it's rather nice place to work. They take care of their employees, and truly value community service.

ConsThe growth path is just not there. People either have to die or get fired for any real growth paths to show them selves. The dream that you are sold on as you enter the work place is just that "a dream." It very much a stepping stone to something better not a full on career choice. Pay is not that great, and they truly are the feel of a 6billion dollar company. This companies worth is truly just a resume builder.

Technical Support Engineer

Member Technical Staff, Software (Former Employee) Morrisville, NC

ProsOutstanding Training. a lot to learn, but they do a good job of preparing you!

ConsLots of cliches. very political. Your ability to fit in is just as important as your skill.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't allow cliches to determine the success or failure of a worker!

NetApp ok

Technical Support Engineer II (Current Employee) Research Triangle Park, NC

ProsFriendly culture, good benefits, growth potential

ConsSupport center management is terrible from first line mgr to Sr VP, value of support to customers is unacceptable, over worked employees low morale, extremely high stress environment yielded several employees to have cardiac failure on the job, some mgmt refuses tech engr to progress out of GSC, engineers often go without lunch breaks, no mentors available as promised by mgmt upon hiring, life of expectancy as TSE is 1-2yrs due to stress level.

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to technical staff suggestion for improving the customer experience.

Marketing Manager

Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

Pros* Great people to work with

Cons* No strong company strategy

Salaries are incompetitive

MTS2 (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsGood work life balance is the only thing that might keep an employee here. I hardly have anything to say under this.

ConsGood work life balance in a competitive location might put in the back seat sometimes. Apart from salary raises each year, there isn't any market correction of salary.

Advice to Senior ManagementMarket correction of salary is important considering high rents in the bay area.

Worked for NetApp? Contribute to the Community!