NetApp

Updated Jul 22, 2014

3.7 1,038 reviews

NetApp President & CEO Tom Georgens

Tom Georgens

Pros
  • Good work life balance is the only thing that might keep an employee here(in 113 reviews)

• NetApp has been on the Fortune magazine's "great place to work" list for 12 years in a row(in 74 reviews)

Cons
  • The manager sets the tone for the group in terms of culture and work/life balance(in 25 reviews)

• Stagnation at middle management layer; Alignment issues at senior management layer(in 38 reviews)

1,038 Employee Reviews

Politics may be the death of Great Place to Work culture.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLove working with intelligent and motivated employees and managers. People are passionate and eager to "do the right thing" for their work and the company. A number of perks in the workplace including onsite gyms, lunch halls, and volunteer time off.

ConsCommunication fails consistently throughout the organization. Poor planning and rushing to execution create unfortunate quality concerns. Performance management process pits team members against one another and politics amongst management prevents genuine and authentic people from succeeding.

Advice to Senior ManagementReach out to your line level employees. Understand what drives the employees who build, test, sell, and support our products. Do not take too few data points and create generalizations that support a view. Take time to understand your workforce.

Flip side of public image

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsThe people are extremely bright, nice and friendly. The benefits are great. There are a lot of fringe benefits that I have not seen at other companies. They have fruit in the break rooms on Tuesday, bagels on Friday. The Sunnyvale site has a free gym. The cafeteria is complete with sushi chef, dry cleaning service, oil change service, health clinic trailer visits Tuesdays, etc.

ConsThere is no work life balance, at least in the area I worked in, and my friends have said the same. The work is very challenging and rewarding, but the hours are 70+ and the pressure is intense. I know some very exhausted people there. Also, like most corporations these days, they are willing to shed people if there is a hint that the financials that year won't be optimal.

Where has your culture gone?

Pros40hr volunteer time
    Beer bash still onsite, thankfully
    Good people to work with
    Compensation ok

ConsPerformance feedback vague...NetApp says you "own" your career, limited opportunities
    Lost culture that defined the work environment. Senior management, VP's clueless to this shift, unfortunately.
    Engineers expected to work cadence above all else, quality is lost and we pay for it later with field issues.
    Losing engineers to competitors and management remarks this as planned "attrition".

Advice to Senior ManagementNeeds major shakeup in senior management. Company lost 30+ spots in GPTW and doesn't have a plan to get it back. Management surveys are consistently bad on giving feedback to employees and they don't have a plan to improve this.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best company to work for

Technical Marketing Engineer (Current Employee) Bellevue, WA

ProsEmployee perks, time-off policies and values of the company are well known to all - always in top 10 of Best companies to work for list. Really good work-life balance. Work from home facility can be used reasonably

ConsSlow paced environment plus middle management is not motivated enough to drive the actual working employees

Advice to Senior ManagementBake-in processes to follow deadlines and program management

QA Engineer

QA Engineer (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

Proswork life balance is very good. people are very friendly and helpful. good work culture

Consdint not find any difficulties working for Netapp.

Good place to work

Prosthe gym and cafeteria are great as well as the people

ConsThe 2 shutdowns per year require you to take vacation or take time off without pay.

Course developer at NetApp

Developer (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsGreat company values
    Very innovative technology
    Great OS that is very dependable - you can believe in the company product
    the people working for NetApp are great.

ConsFew perks beyond the expected - no big parties, individual contributors always fly economy even for long haul trips, the company is always trying to save money even when they do well, no recognition for long term employees such as reaching 5 years or 10 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't lose track of the company values. Also, don't lose track of the goals.

The NetApp culture is the best that I have experienced.

HW Engineering (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsI have the privilege with working with some of the most talented individuals in the industry, given the challenging changing environment that we are in, migrating to the cloud. Pay and benefits are on par with the best in the industry.

ConsIn HW engineering, lack of the ability to advance. Company develops experts of certain portions of the position skill sets, and were not always able to fully utilize individual skill sets.

Advice to Senior ManagementConsider development of management from within, rather than development of management from external sources.

Great Place to Work, except in Support

Technical Support Engineer III (Current Employee) Research Triangle Park, NC

ProsCulture, ability to have input, interaction with upper management to Director level

ConsHealth Insurance, Stability - lay offs, no advancement, pay

Fun and supports innovation

ProsGet things done attitude rocks,
    Very friendly and fun environment,
    Opportunity to grow

ConsTest environment and development framework internally developed which does not help personal growth

Worked for NetApp? Contribute to the Community!