NetApp

3.7
1,215 Reviews

NetApp President & CEO Tom Georgens
Tom Georgens

Pros
  • Apparently they have a good work life balance which amounts to not doing much work (in 154 reviews)

• NetApp has been on the Fortune magazine's "great place to work" list for 12 years in a row (in 78 reviews)

Cons
  • Too much of work life balance leads to laziness in employees (in 27 reviews)

• Has its share of jerks in middle management that can make your life Hell (in 41 reviews)

More Highlights

What a great company to work for.

I have been working at NetApp full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Transparency at the Exec level down. Consistent culture. Still innovative even though larger

Cons

Not many to speak of. Work-life balance is not bad but not great. Salary very good and could be better

Engineering Manager

I worked at NetApp full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Open culture, decent pay, talented people.

Cons

Not able to strike balance with execution and innovation.

Emphasize innovation, growth, adapt to fast changing market environment - getting mack to leadership.

Technical Marketing Engineer

Current Employee - Technical Marketing Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Marketing Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

Office culture, perks, work life balance,business trips, trainings

Cons

promotion, compensation on location change,

Indeed a Great Place to work at

I worked at NetApp full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Some of the smartest people in the industry. You'll always find someone willing to help you. Culture is great, the tech is great and they treat people with respect. Great place to collaborate! Company open to internal criticism and ideas. It's a unique environment and personally, I was treated very well, enjoyed being part of it but it was time for me to move on.

Cons

It has become a slow moving train due to its size. Too many meetings and committees. A little too much politics as well. Limiting career opportunities because the company has not been growing as before.

Make sure you get the right messages from those below you. Some middle and upper level mgrs & tech directors are dead weight. Re-evaluate them. Listen to the field's suggestions. Be more aggressive. CEO's very competent man, but I have a different opinion about some of those around him and below him. Use a broom or a vacuum if you have to before you regret it.

Great place to work...lots of percs, but also long hours and people are churned quite often.

I worked at NetApp

Pros

Good pay, lots of percs on site on campus, professoinal enviornment.

Cons

Long hours, a lot of turnover, can be political, and systems are not that great.

Great company to work for

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

Peers, perks, work/life balance,time-off,maternity policies

Cons

big company, too many process

Excellent internship experience at a company with integrity that cares about its people and its culture.

Former Employee - Intern in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at NetApp as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

In speaking to coworkers at NetApp, many emphasized fellow coworkers' willingness to help each other that they had not found at other companies. I found this to be true as well in my experience at the company. Everyone was extremely friendly and always willing to stop what they were doing to provide assistance when needed. The company encouraged this team environment with team-building events and open communication between managers and employees. The company is also extremely committed to employee development and growth, from managers showing interest in employee growth to specific training programs and classes. During my internship at NetApp, for example, the interns attended talks and Q&A sessions with executives who offered personal and professional advice. They also launched a mentoring program this summer where new college grads mentored interns. NetApp also cares about doing well and succeeding in its field while never compromising its integrity. In their All-Hands meetings, the CEO and executive team emphasized their commitment to integrity and this value was also espoused by lower level management as well and for the most part seemed to be lived out in both daily office life and major decisions made by the executive team. The salaries for interns are also generous and competitive and they receive the benefit of free access to the gym and workout classes. The benefits for full-time employees are also generous. From my intern experience, I think NetApp truly deserves its high Great Place to Work ranking. I feel it is a company I can trust and would be happy to work at full-time. It seems the full-time employees feel the same way.

Cons

NetApp is an extremely large company and therefore it is impossible to connect with everyone. However, the individual teams do a good job of remaining connected and building the community necessary for productivity and work satisfaction so this is not a huge issue. Additionally, some office gossip did occur which at times made it difficult to maintain respect for both the managers and coworkers gossiping and those being gossiped about. Granted, this gossip is to be found in any work environment to some degree, but hopefully managers do their part in quelling such harmful talk rather than encouraging or participating in it.

Great place to work

I worked at NetApp

Pros

Your work gets noticed. Flexible hours. Great culture.

Cons

Sometimes getting through to people can be quite a challenge

Software Engineering Intern

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at NetApp

Pros

Friendly people, great intern culture. We had leadership give us career talks and volunteering in the community opportunities.

Cons

Unclear leadership, project design specs. Felt like my project was not very important, however I do know some interns who had better experiences. Company has a pretty old average age and not growing or changing very well against circumstances.

I think there could have been more communication and guidance with the beginning of the intern project. Although its nice to be left on your own it can be overwhelming for a college student to be on their own with a lot of legacy code and vague project specs.

An Ok company for IT sector

Current Employee - Program Manager in Boulder, CO
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Boulder, CO

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

Innovative company in highly competitive sector

Cons

Too much politic... Some senor management need to be fired.... Bunch of old woods.

Enable your employees and remove the roadblocks