NetApp

Updated Jul 26, 2014

3.7 1,042 reviews

NetApp President & CEO Tom Georgens

Tom Georgens

Pros
  • Good work life balance is the only thing that might keep an employee here(in 115 reviews)

• NetApp has been on the Fortune magazine's "great place to work" list for 12 years in a row(in 74 reviews)

Cons
  • The manager sets the tone for the group in terms of culture and work/life balance(in 25 reviews)

• Stagnation at middle management layer; Alignment issues at senior management layer(in 39 reviews)

1,042 Employee Reviews

Friendly and Relaxed

Software Developer (Former Employee) Waltham, MA

ProsNot much work, friendly people, nice place, games, very good work culture

ConsNot many challenges to look for

Still a great company to work for, but was better

Systems Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsGood pay, great people, freedom to "get the job done" your way, ability to work from home, great products

ConsCompany is getting bigger and culture is suffering a bit. Still better than any company I have worked for, but there has been a definite change in the past 4-5 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementHopefully they will do a better job of reacting to industry and economic trends and avoid any further layoffs. Mass layoffs are NOT good for company moral!

Very good place to work.

Member of Technical Staff III (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsGood value for hard work and you are recognized well

ConsI don't see any cons as of now

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work!

MTS4 (Current Employee) Cary, NC

ProsTechnically challenging work environment. Dynamic work place. High quality team members.

ConsSometimes schedules are very tight and stress is unmanageable.

One of a kind positive experience

ProsTeam environment. Management supports the employees.

ConsI have none at this time.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue supporting the employees.

Good place to work, focused on growth and productivity

MTS3 (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsAt NetApp, they encourage friendly work environment, and focus is on employ satisfaction. Great place to work, in terms of work culture and environment.

ConsIt's challenging as the department I worked for went through few reorgs in the span of 2-3 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would help not to have so many reorgs in engineering. Even though Individual contributors are not shuffled around, changing managers affects the productivity as it takes time for an individual to adjust to new manager and his/her style of management.

Work Culture

Support Operations (Current Employee) Morrisville, NC

ProsOpen environment to discuss anything anytime with peers and upper management

ConsYou are away from Silicon Valley in California

Advice to Senior ManagementLot of Horizontals .................so you need to keep lot of people happy at the same time

This is not the NetApp I signed up for.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

Pros1) Good people work here.
    2) Certain departments are flexible in regards to telecommuting.
    3) Gym is nice.

ConsNetApp has changed over the last several years. There is a tremendous amount of internal politics, which is spreading through the company like a cancer. The results are apparent by the “Best Company to Work for Ranking”.

I believe that NetApp will fall out of ranking within the next several years.

Advice to Senior ManagementNetApp is currently a ship without a rudder. Upper Management needs to talk to the workers on what's going on, not middle management. All the political bickering is stagnating the company’s growth and will be its downfall.

Used to be a lot of fun, with happy, competent people working as a team ... it was the best place to work.

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsFast-paced environment. Challenging and engaging.

ConsToo many changes and re-orgs. Too many priorities and changes in focus.
    Management has not been able to move from tactical and reactive back to strategic thinking and solid execution.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company is losing a lot of great people due lay offs and because of lack of satisfaction. Employees are not feeling 'the love' anymore. Focusing on a solid plan and execution may help keep the great people stay.

Satellite office

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBeer bash, work environment, occasional free lunch. Data ONTAP has potential, I suppose, but it's way behind the competition and is playing catchup.

ConsThe Waltham office is a satellite to the HQ in Sunnyvale and has always been treated as such - insignificant. Lots of incompetent middle management promoted from within. 4 VPs in less than 2 years?! Monthly attrition at a great place to work?!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue about the entire company, not just the people you see everyday.

Worked for NetApp? Contribute to the Community!