NetApp Reviews

4.0

NetApp President & CEO Tom Georgens
Tom Georgens

Pros
  • Good work life balance is the only thing that might keep an employee here (in 115 reviews)

• NetApp has been on the Fortune magazine's "great place to work" list for 12 years in a row (in 74 reviews)

Cons
  • The manager sets the tone for the group in terms of culture and work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Stagnation at middle management layer; Alignment issues at senior management layer (in 39 reviews)

More Highlights

Great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

There isn't a perfect place to work, but NetApp is pretty damn close. Nice perks, great benefits. Very good training programs are available. Collaboration is very much encouraged. Mangement has been easy to get along with. You can tell this company has high standards. Upper management seems to communicate very well. Yes, we even get free beer on Fridays.

Cons

Make sure they don't take too much of your time. Some perks are going away because of the bad economy right now, but everybody's doing that. Hopefully they'll bring most of it back when things improve.

Keep up the communcation, let us know what's going on.

Great company - if you're focused on Storage.

Current Employee - Professional Services Consultant
    Current Employee - Professional Services Consultant

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

Compensation and benefits are excellent. The products that have been through multiple version releases are almost always excellent. Great people to work with, and a great company to work with if all you want to do is Storage.

Cons

A lot of the internal applications and information is spread across multiple systems, and they're not always a cohesive unit. Some of our core applications are from very large vendors, and being web-based, suck badly. IT Helpdesk is narrow in the scope of what they support, and are sometimes no better than any other "Consumer level" drones. Professional Services consulting and sales teams are very regionalized - in the US, it's East, Central, West, and there is very little cross-region work. Professional Services is also very product oriented - if it's not related to our storage, we typically don't provide services. Again, very narrow scopes of work. Also very difficult to become a specialist in specific skill areas - generalists are preferred. Communication from the top is usually good, but there's a lot of middle management in between, which tends to distance the top management from the people down in the field.

Work on making the Professional Services practices widen the scope of services they offer. Storage is great, but it isn't everything.

Just a number at NetApp

Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer  in  Research Triangle Park, NC
    Former Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at NetApp

Pros

Donuts or maybe Bagels?

At least the bathrooms were clean and stocked with tissue paper and hand soap.

Cons

Fresh fruit day?

Support model at the time does not "follow the sun." Having 3 shifts for the sake of all major support being in one location is not necessarily a best practice.

New hires receive no initial technical training upon hire but insted receive the same end-user training as customers. At least during the first 2-3 months this is the case but the company already expects proficiency in all aspects of service and support.

Arrogance hurts sales...

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work.

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff IV  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff IV in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

The open culture and great people are the greatest reason to work at NetApp. Most people are very good at their jobs. Another reason to work at NetApp is that there are loads of exciting projects going on in all groups. There are lots of opportunities to be part of good projects.

Cons

Career advancement is individual's responsibility. Career advancement opportunities are limited. Several groups prefer to hire from outside rather than grooming talent from within. The company is going through growing pains that can be good or bad. Sometimes the processes keep changing or new processes are put in place imposing large overheads without clear benefit. I guess that's part of growing up.

Add some emphasis on career advancement for employees.

A flexible and challenging place to work

Current Employee - Analyst  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

Flexible working environment. Employees can set their own schedule, work remotely; live far away.
    It is a challenging fast-paced environment.
    The company is going through some growing pains. But it has a great future

Cons

too many managers and not enough people who do the day to day work.
    Too many meetings that consume people's time preventing them from being productive

Reduce number of meetings

NetApp is an amazing place to work

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst  in  Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Durham, NC

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

Great culture! Very nice work environment, everyone is very friendly. Having come from a small business background, this was a great change in terms of size. They still function like a small company, from their corporate events to the way they treat their employees. Your voice is heard when you feel something should be. I've never met a nicer group of people than those that I work with. Everyone there is a friendly genious! They screen their staff very well. They are also a very honest company. Where other companies will bloat results, NetApp seems to be the honest one that gives true expectations from their fantastic technology.

Cons

I have to drive there?

Great job. Great listeners which is very important to a healthy staff.

Fun place to work with strong benefits.

Current Employee - Technical Marketing Engineer  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Technical Marketing Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

Smart people.
    Opportunities to advance.
    Open and honest senior management.
    Great benefits.
    Fun atmosphere

Cons

Tough to switch departments and positions.

Keep up the candid, regular communication.
    Keep the vision.

A great employer with great technology to sell

Current Employee - Program Manager  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

good management in most cases. social mingling and exchange of ideas among different departments. smart people. great benefits package, great cafes for lunch, flexible schedules. ability to be creative in how programs are built and executed, ability to take the initiative and bring a program to the next level. pride in garnering industry recognition. having a unique, useful product/solution to pit against established industry leaders. accessibility to management, excellent internal communications worldwide, instant notification from management on critical or competitive situations. team work and spirit, colleagues who go the extra mile in most cases. respect for maintaining a work/life balance, e.g., with employees with families, children and interests outside of work. information all-hands meetings on a regular basis to keep all employees aligned on corporate goals and marching in one direction. growing site at corporate location, i.e., new buildings and parking structures to accommodate head count. great espresso machines in each building! Reasonable budgeting and resources, while not ever enough, are bearable and don't give cause to 12-hour days most of the year. good intranet site that's packed with resources and even easier to navigate today.

Cons

Not always being recognized for a job well done. A fast growing team sometimes built from ties and employee relations at previous companies, not necessarily always with consideration as to whether a job candidate has qualified or optimal professional backgrounds for a role. Corporate politics, as with any corporation. Bureaucracy, which NetApp is building up in order to analyze operations and streamline efficiencies, and will likely get somewhat thicker before it dies down. The flattening of the employee hierarchy, giving rise to numerous levels of even middle management. Enthusiastic team members, who sometimes expect others to be logged on to email as late as they are. dubious search engine on intranet site. too many contractors who come and go, in some cases.

Keep up the good work in restructuring management and growing the company. Your decisions recently made to grow the company to the next level make a lot of sense, especially the branding initiative, and the internal communications deliver your messages, intent, and methods clearly. You do a good job in conveying our differentiation from the other major players in the market, and that keeps my pride up in working for the company. Despite the departure of some of the top management figures in the recent year, I have every confidence that new blood as well as the current corporate direction will take us all the further in the long term.

It is too good to be true, but it is....

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

NetApp is a company that provides me with challenges and encourages my "entrepreneurial spirit." I am empowered. My opinions and ideas are important and valued. We work hard, but we get to work with wonderful and talented people who respect and value one another, nothing is taken for granted. This is a company where you know you can make a difference and will. The senior leaders are committed to sharing information promptly and candidly. There is "real" commitment to the employees and ensuring that NetApp is a great place to work.

Cons

NetApp is a fast growing company. If you need a lot of direction or set processes and procedures to do your job well, this is not the company for you. It is a very fast paced (hectic) environment with little structure at the moment.

Keep up the great job. Thank you for your honest and candid communication.

Great company, going through growing pains

Former Employee - Professional Services  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Professional Services in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at NetApp

Pros

The people. The people at NetApp are great. For the most part, everyone is willing to pitch in and help. Some of the best and brightest I have ever met work for or used to work for NetApp.

Granted as a company grows it is hard to maintain the same level of excellence, but I think NetApp has done a pretty job of it.

Cons

NetApp is growing and grew very fast, and that comes with some growing pains. Some of that pain comes from some of the hires that have been made who don't understand what NetApp is, in terms of a company.

As with any other vendor, there can be a very heavy sales focus. If sales doesn't like you, your life will be difficult. If sales likes you, your life will be great at NetApp.

Don't lose focus of your company culture.

Worked for NetApp? Contribute to the Community!