NetApp

NetApp Reviews

3.7

NetApp President & CEO Tom Georgens
Tom Georgens

Pros
  • Apparently they have a good work life balance which amounts to not doing much work (in 154 reviews)

• NetApp has been on the Fortune magazine's "great place to work" list for 12 years in a row (in 78 reviews)

Cons
  • Too much of work life balance leads to laziness in employees (in 27 reviews)

• Has its share of jerks in middle management that can make your life Hell (in 41 reviews)

More Highlights

Solid corporate culture, enthusiastic employees, supportive management

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

NetApp is uniquely positioned in the storage industry - superior technology, software innovation, good support. Work environment is very positive, employees are encouraged to "think outside the box"

Cons

No obvious downsides to working at NetApp; some opportunities exist for tighter collaboration between headquarters support and the field organization

Keep up the good work - communication to the employee workforce comes openly and often, and recognition for work well done is given freely.

Never working at Netapp again

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

Can maintain work life balance well

Cons

Middle managers are just busy making their own castles, and they have made their dedicated connections, its almost like a cult not a culture.
    if you fit their stereotype, you are good else not (that involves only drinking at work or happy hours)
    They dont really care about the work you can do, they just want you in the team if you can be fun not serious abut getting work done.
    If you immediate manager wants to ignore you then god save you, better to leave and find another job even in a bad economy.

More middle management reviews and stricter ones.

work in peace

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at NetApp

Pros

there can possibly be no other place which has a better work life balance than Netapp. The exec team is extremely smart

Cons

the middle management is way too confused, works mostly on building their little empires rather than focus on the company goals

get rid of some of the fat that has accumulated between the brilliant exec team and the sharp engineering folks

"GPTW" is true...great people, great culture

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

culture, highly collaborative, focus on customers, focus on growth - company values are lived out across the organization. Company is not afraid to take risks to advance with customers & grow.

Cons

Nothing more than other companies - we all work through issues, conflicting objectives, and experience the occaisional policitcal move to get ahead....NetApp is a really solid company, well run, with high regard & respect for individuals.

Keep doing what you're doing!! All good!

Great job for early 30's; not so much for early 20's.

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at NetApp

Pros

-Nice people
    -Great pay
    -Good location (in lovely CA, and also right off of the VTA light rail)
    -Good benefits (for interns, really nice free housing; also, great gym)
    -Some parts of company culture
    -Emphasizes work-life balance

Cons

-Seemed very corporate
    -Work not overly interesting
    -People didn't really seem passionate about working there; it was just a job
    -Slow debugging and release cycles
    -NetApp seemed more interested in hyping up their company cultures than in actually *having* one. Sure, there were parts of NetApp that were cool, like the beer bashes, but for the most part I didn't find that I really bonded with my coworkers or that the company as a whole had much of a culture

I feel like this company would be an awesome place to work if I had a family and children that I wanted to be able to spend time with. However, as a nerdy workaholic in my low 20's, I want to find some work that I can be truly passionate about -- I want to *want* to spend all my time working, or with people from work. NetApp is a great company, but it's just not for me at this stage in my life.

This probably sounds prissy, but many other companies in the bay area provide free food for their employees. I often found that if NetApp had been providing dinner -- either free or at a cost -- I would have stayed at work longer or had a better motivation during the late afternoon. I think it might be something to consider.

disappointing

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

Great people
    Company is growing so change is frequent

Cons

I don't know about the rest of the company, but IT is a terrible place to work. The business decisions made by senior management are unbelievably poor. Its clear the organization is very poorly run from the VP level to first level manager. Culture is one of rule by authority.
    There is too much ridiculous process and no real feeling of teamwork across organizations.
    You struggle to get things done because resources are so taxed. No common goals across the organization and there are way too many re-orgs. Like I said, other parts of the company might be good, but IT is definitely nowhere near top 5.

Bring in all new management at every level. Words are cheap. If you say you value people, show it.
    Do not allow politics to influence business decisions. Push back on PMO. Allow people to do their job without trying to define every single role. Very very few employees are happy in IT, they're just waiting for the economy to pick up so they can leave. IT is gaining a very bad reputation both inside and outside the company.

Company has great products and is well positioned, but has become political bureaucracy

Former Employee - Marketing in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at NetApp

Pros

Good to great people to work with, good pay and benefits, great products that meet customer needs, company is well positioned in the storage market, strong executive team.

Cons

Many long time NetApp people, therefore company suffers from lack of mid-level managerial talent and competence. Certain groups (Marketing, Professional Services, Management Software Product Group) are disorganized and dysfunctional. Many mid-level managers and some VPs better at managing up and managing their own positions then managing their own team and growing their people. Inability to set measurable goals and assess performance leads to "focal review by popularity."

Have the mid-level managers, Directors, and VPs practice (and actually be measured on) what HR preaches around people development. Build a focal review program that is based on measurable impact - not politics.

Solid company, great benefits, strong company culture

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

- great benefits, competitive salaries
    - great philanthropy

Cons

- conservative culture
    - need to continue to infuse more next generation of talent (i.e. NCG/Interns)

i am satisfied.

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

excellent work and people. good work life balance - well, most of the time.

Cons

salaries could be higher. but i dont complain - i have everything else.

please dont petty politics infiltrate too much into the minds of engineers.

A great place to work, though frequently under pressure to deliver quality for customers.

Former Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Raleigh, NC
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Raleigh, NC

I worked at NetApp

Pros

Good benefits, positive environment, great upper management communication. The corporate culture encourages participation and the communications of successes and things necessary for success are clearly outlined.

Cons

Management tends to be "home grown" and not trained. This leads to ambiguity of method, goals and a lack of clarity of where to go when there are problems. Line employees are encouraged and developed. Managers are left on their own.

Management should encourage and build up managers more as they do with their line employees. In other areas, they should continue to keep doing what they do.