NetApp

Updated Jul 24, 2014

3.7 1,040 reviews

NetApp President & CEO Tom Georgens

Tom Georgens

Pros
  • Good work life balance is the only thing that might keep an employee here(in 113 reviews)

• NetApp has been on the Fortune magazine's "great place to work" list for 12 years in a row(in 74 reviews)

Cons
  • The manager sets the tone for the group in terms of culture and work/life balance(in 25 reviews)

• Stagnation at middle management layer; Alignment issues at senior management layer(in 38 reviews)

1,040 Employee Reviews

Great and declined in last year

GSI Partner Manager - EMEA (Former Employee) London, England (UK)

Prosthey used tohave a great culture and care for the employee that sloped downwarss in the last 3 years, company needs new management

ConsLack of investment in development of Serious Global SI reltionships, no utility models, massive expectation on goal setting for growth and limiting of earnings

Advice to Senior ManagementReview Exec Management

Great place to Work!

ProsHighly motivated and talented employees -- very helpful people even across divisions. Fast paced work culture and it can be sometimes overload. If you are a great engineer in dev team, you probably would see very fast paced career (and compensation/rewards)growth.

ConsNon-engineering functions in sites (outside US) usually do not get the right visibility and growth despite great talent. Site based re-organization/consolidation is something that needs to be a one-time change and not something that changes on a regular basis

Advice to Senior Managementgrow/retain the great culture of NetApp and reduce the uncertainty in organization changes/re-alignment so that employees can focus on what they love doing -- i.e. work!!!

Best place to work? Are you kidding me?

Senior Engineer (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsThere are no pros that I can think of...

ConsPolitics everywhere... spreading like a cancer.... Get out while you can... I did.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetire and hire new leadership... Georgean is a joke. Employees only hear him once a quarter and emails about layoffs and best place work survey... What a joke.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to kickstart start your career

Marketing Manager (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

ProsWork life balance is awesome. As a company, takes great care of employees.

ConsCompensation is not fair. Some get way too high for work. Work distribution within the team is bad

Excellent Work Culture.

Member Technical Staff, Software (Current Employee) Bangalore (India)

Prosgood work life balance. good ethics and work culture

Conssome teams has less work.

Used to be a lot of fun, with happy, competent people working as a team ... it was the best place to work.

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsFast-paced environment. Challenging and engaging.

ConsToo many changes and re-orgs. Too many priorities and changes in focus.
    Management has not been able to move from tactical and reactive back to strategic thinking and solid execution.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company is losing a lot of great people due lay offs and because of lack of satisfaction. Employees are not feeling 'the love' anymore. Focusing on a solid plan and execution may help keep the great people stay.

This is not the NetApp I signed up for.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

Pros1) Good people work here.
    2) Certain departments are flexible in regards to telecommuting.
    3) Gym is nice.

ConsNetApp has changed over the last several years. There is a tremendous amount of internal politics, which is spreading through the company like a cancer. The results are apparent by the “Best Company to Work for Ranking”.

I believe that NetApp will fall out of ranking within the next several years.

Advice to Senior ManagementNetApp is currently a ship without a rudder. Upper Management needs to talk to the workers on what's going on, not middle management. All the political bickering is stagnating the company’s growth and will be its downfall.

Satellite office

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsBeer bash, work environment, occasional free lunch. Data ONTAP has potential, I suppose, but it's way behind the competition and is playing catchup.

ConsThe Waltham office is a satellite to the HQ in Sunnyvale and has always been treated as such - insignificant. Lots of incompetent middle management promoted from within. 4 VPs in less than 2 years?! Monthly attrition at a great place to work?!

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue about the entire company, not just the people you see everyday.

Still a great company to work for, but was better

Systems Engineer (Current Employee)

ProsGood pay, great people, freedom to "get the job done" your way, ability to work from home, great products

ConsCompany is getting bigger and culture is suffering a bit. Still better than any company I have worked for, but there has been a definite change in the past 4-5 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementHopefully they will do a better job of reacting to industry and economic trends and avoid any further layoffs. Mass layoffs are NOT good for company moral!

Great company

ProsLovely culture and fantastic career opportunities, Management is easily reachable and can be very helpful, friendly atmosphere for work, great company to work for

ConsMaybe diversification to other products and solutions might be a great help

Worked for NetApp? Contribute to the Community!