NetApp Reviews

Reset
3.9
NetApp CEO George Kurian
George Kurian

Pros
  • Decent work life balance for certain roles (in 154 reviews)

• NetApp has been on the Fortune magazine's "great place to work" list for 12 years in a row (in 78 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance gets out of balance a bit too much (in 27 reviews)

• Has its share of jerks in middle management that can make your life Hell (in 41 reviews)

Overrated. Not a good place to work.

Former Employee - Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at NetApp

Pros

nice facility. benefits comparable to other high tech companies Did they pay Fortune magazine to get on the best company to work for list????

Cons

backstabbers- be wary of people you work with. incompetent senior managers

Advice to Management

Its a joke to work for this company. Not sure who you all bribed to get on the best company to work for list. There are other companies who deserve to be number one.

Life at NetApp is pretty good compared to other high tech companies

I worked at NetApp

Pros

They treat employees well; lots of perks & freebies; good benefits; nice surroundings; great food in cafe & break rooms. Flexible scheduling when possible. Good teamwork & work ethic. Management more human than some other places. Still opportunities to carve out career paths. Change can happen fast from top down; employee suggestions are often listened to.

Cons

Workload can be considerable to impossible. Communications between teams/depts could be better. Middle & lower management not always as good as top management. Change can happen fast from top down; ideas are listened to but implementation can get complicated.

Advice to Management

Keep treating employees well; watch implementation at lower levels.

3. Great Place

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vienna, VA

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

They care about their customers.

Cons

We work harder that people at most companies.

Advice to Management

Dont' waiver from what made us great.

Wish I knew what dept Fortune Mag interviewed.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

Good Benefits, Commensurate Salary, Nice facilities

Cons

Lack in leadership & focus Sales Driven Lack in career path

Advice to Management

Take some time to look at the company as a whole, re-visit the Co's infrastructure provide more opportunities for career growth.

6. Transformation into a larger company would be necessary

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

In terms of culture, this is the totally awesome place where employees feel like home without too much worry about flexibility.

Cons

As the company gets larger, people in charge of major decisions try to avoid taking risks, seemingly somewhat political from outside

Advice to Management

The company must transform itself for the next level of leap to a larger company enough to operate appropriately

7. Fast-Paced, Best-of-Breed environment, innovation within slowing down. Outsourcing big strategy

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at NetApp

Pros

High caliber colleagues. Lots of opportunity to do interesting work. Flexiblity.

Cons

Crunch mode continues year after year after year. Sr mgmt still thinking in silos. Cross functional focus becoming increasingly more critical to success, lack internal know-how and will to execute.

Advice to Management

Look at people leaving IT and ask questions. Leadership is not what it seems within IT. May be some less than ideal ethics in some areas of IT. Some may receive paybacks.

8. Good Large Company

Current Employee - MTS-IV in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - MTS-IV in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

Netapp has good benefits and the pace of work is ok. If you are looking for a large company, you could do a lot worse.

Cons

There is little opportuniity for advancement for MTS level staff, esp. since the company is not growing. But that is typically around here.

Advice to Management

Make decisions and stick with them. It seems that a higher than usual proportion of projects get cancelled or back burnered.

Once was great...

I worked at NetApp

Pros

Sunnyvale has a really nice modern campus and buildings.. Standard benefits for a high-tech company in Silicon Valley, and the benefits are really over and above if you have children. Until a few years ago, we knew we were making a difference, knew we were helping to build something great, knew we were making history. We knew we were working too hard, and being paid too little, consuming more late night pizza and cola than bears thinking about, but wow, we were really having fun. We were all empowered to take risks, to innovate, and to drive change. Managers did real work. Executive management did a fantastic job with the vision, finances, etc; and was open, honest, trustworthy. Employees were loyal, and dedicated to doing something we could be proud of, and winning. It was all incredibly satisfying.

Cons

Employees are no longer empowered to innovate. Management is making decisions for political or CYA reasons, rather than strategic reasons. Middle managers hired from the outside by friends inside, or promoted from within to their level of incompetence. Too many people doing little or nothing. Really good people let go in last Feb layoffs, and so many useless people retained, and still wandering around doing nothing. Incomprehensible. Products go to market too fast. Too many bugs. Infrastructure is falling apart, and funding to replace it is scarce or non-existent. IT seems to be exhausted (though that seems to be the case almost everywhere). NetApp is no different from any other company now. As it matures, it is becoming fearful of change, inflexible, process heavy, hiring managers who are killing the once-extraordinary culture very rapidly, and hiring average or incompetent individual contributors who are just looking for a paycheck. Many formerly dedicated employees are becoming recruitable. There is a steady trickle out of people who cared, and when the job market gets easier, my guess is that it will be a rolling river.

Advice to Management

Slow down with the rushing to market - get stuff stable. Review your middle management! Weed out the bozos. They are everywhere. Stop allowing their fear, personal agendas, and nepotism to rule. Set up an environment where passion and talent are valued, and watch innovation happen, all over again. Good luck.

10. NetApp TSE

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer III in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer III in Durham, NC

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

Challenging work, Typical day is 8 hours

Cons

Case workload is excessive at times. Understaffed

Advice to Management

Continue to add new hire Technical Support Engineer, so we can avoid burnout.

11. NetApp *is* a great place to work

Current Employee - NetApp *is* A Great Place to Work in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - NetApp *is* A Great Place to Work in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

Culture, autonomy, career advancement, great products, innovative

Cons

Not enough cafes on campus

Advice to Management

none

Showing 44 of 1,521 reviews