NetApp Reviews

1. Great company, going through growing pains

Former Employee - Professional Services in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Professional Services in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at NetApp

Pros

The people. The people at NetApp are great. For the most part, everyone is willing to pitch in and help. Some of the best and brightest I have ever met work for or used to work for NetApp. Granted as a company grows it is hard to maintain the same level of excellence, but I think NetApp has done a pretty job of it.

Cons

NetApp is growing and grew very fast, and that comes with some growing pains. Some of that pain comes from some of the hires that have been made who don't understand what NetApp is, in terms of a company. As with any other vendor, there can be a very heavy sales focus. If sales doesn't like you, your life will be difficult. If sales likes you, your life will be great at NetApp.

Advice to Management

Don't lose focus of your company culture.

Excellent place to work but you must excel in a fast paced competative environment.

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

Great pay, great benefits package, good camaraderie, great product that customers love With 20-30% annual growth in employees there are always new positions opening. Fortune Magazine has ranked NetApp top place to work six years in a row coming at number 4 once.

Cons

Very busy all of the time...(good and bad)

Advice to Management

Continue to devote resources to centralized tools that help the company move from the young company it once was to a more developed compnay most wish it to become.

3. Great place to work and develop

Current Employee - Member of Management Staff in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Member of Management Staff in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

NetApp appreciates how to provide a work/home balance. It is a growth company and has a global view. Both aspects appeal to me!

Cons

The growth creates constant change, this can be disruptive to some

Advice to Management

Keep the same level of communication to all employees, it is much better than any other company that I have worked for.

5. thoughtful

Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Vienna, VA

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

The products work. The customers actually like the people who interface with them - and I think it is because the corporate culture values the employees and the customers. I have worked at several nightmarish companies and I have real scars to prove it.

Cons

It's growth curve is so steep that planning for 3 years is dizzying. There are new employees showing up daily - and I have trouble keeping track.

Advice to Management

Since the options market is dead and the options given to new employees is non-existent then get creative with after tax and before tax savings or investment programs. Why is the 401k matching fund rate so low?

6. A pretty good place to work

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

NetApp is a successful company with a lot of interesting technology. Engineers with the right skills and temperament have good opportunities to influence direction and produce innovations that make a difference to the company's business.

Cons

NetApp is very inward looking. The system can be bewildering in its complexity; many newcomers have trouble mapping their past experience. The company is best at evolutionary baby steps, and often has a hard time getting new initiatives going. Many people would say that the environment is chaotic.

Advice to Management

Make sure that the company's key initiatives are adequately funded and set up for success. Be ruthless in cutting out low-value activities.

7. Great place to work as a company

Current Employee - PS Field Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - PS Field Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

Fantastic place to work based on work vs family life balance. Executive management believes in striking a perfect balance. Work hard play hard mentality. Endless training opportunities in your field of employ in addition to personal development. Great opportunity to move up the food chain of management as well.

Cons

Some of the field management, in particular areas (read PS), are not seasoned or have the requisite experience to run departments. Frustration can creep in if you allow it and do not fight for your rights as an employee. It would be nice to have a manager who knows more then the people they manage, or at least shows interest in knowing more about the job.

Advice to Management

Executive management is top notch at NetApp. Senior management is also pretty good. However, I would seriously recommend senior management taking the time to thoroughly vet middle management before they hire. Morale at a field level in certain departments is low due to the poor management and leadership skills of some of the middle management (read PS).

Still the best game in town

Current Employee - Escalations Engineer V in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Escalations Engineer V in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

Technology-oriented, leader in the industry. Good pay despite hearing tons of gripes, still has very good benefits. Small Silicon Valley culture still present for us old folk.

Cons

Cronyism has been rampant lately, recruiting poor, big company attitude seems almost welcome by many. Promotions are inconsistent (dumb people getting better jobs, good people being passed over repeatedly) Stock awards have dropped to maybe one-tenth of what they used to offer (used to get 2000 options for a good job, now you get 200)

Advice to Management

Don't forget that the engineers are the ones that make you look good.

9. I won't mind retiring from this company (if things don't get worse)

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff IV in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff IV in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

People and interesting technology. People are just great! Very technically capable and just nice people to work with.

Cons

Having to deal with "off-shore" developers.

Advice to Management

Talk to your engineers more often and listen(!!) what they are telling you.

Great people, growing pains, still stuck in box selling

Current Employee - Professional Services Consultant in Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Professional Services Consultant in Englewood, CO

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

Smart, dynamic pears. Friendly environment. Easy access to education. NetApp technology can be inspirational.

Cons

Field offices neglected. Still selling 'by the box'. Immature services offerings without enough investment in growth. Every role regardless of function is seen as a sales role - too much time is spent delivering and analyzing sales with non-sales staff. Travel is too much a part of the culture. Tendency to announce initiatives and then under-support or inconsistently support them.

Advice to Management

Invest heavier in professional services. Recognize field work more outside California. Invest more in competitive analysis including competitive services. Talk sales numbers only with sales teams. Get post-sales delivery members out of pre-sales.

Decent pay, decent benefits. Poor management, and the employees are generally not treated well.

Current Employee - MTS3 in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - MTS3 in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

Pretty good pay, good benefits. If you have a good manager who is willing to fight for you, it's a decent place to work.

Cons

I have very little faith in upper management. Quarterly all-hands meetings involve the guys in charge standing up there bragging about what a good job they are doing, and making excuses for why the company isn't living up to expectations and why the stock is tanking. When we do well they are geniuses, and when we do poorly it's about "market conditions". Individual project managers are worse: they are only concerned about getting THIS release done on time, so they can collect their bonuses and move on to something else. They generally don't care about actually doing it properly, so that the solution scales and is maintainable. This leads to things getting VERY messy. It's obviously a lot less work to make an initial time investment and do it right the first time, but project managers have no incentive to do this, because they will be leading some other project by the time the sh*t hits the fan and someone has to clean up their mess. Suggesting a good, scalable solution instead of a "quick hack" will get shot down because of time considerations... the fact that the good solution will save many man-months of work in the long run is ignored, because the guy making the decisions only has monetary incentive to get this release done ASAP; there is no incentive to actually do a good job. The company doesn't care about their employees. Last year they shut down over the whole week of the 4th of July. Your choices were, either take 4 days of vacation, or don't get paid. Who cares if you had other vacation time planned during the year? Not the guys in charge, that's for sure.

Advice to Management

Make managers more accountable. It's not all about getting THIS release to work THIS quarter. Sometimes it's about doing it right from the start, so that we can get the next 10 releases in the next 20 quarters done without having to fix a big mess every time.

Showing 48 of 1,510 reviews