NetApp Reviews

4.0

NetApp President & CEO Tom Georgens
Tom Georgens

Pros
  • Good work life balance is the only thing that might keep an employee here (in 115 reviews)

• NetApp has been on the Fortune magazine's "great place to work" list for 12 years in a row (in 74 reviews)

Cons
  • The manager sets the tone for the group in terms of culture and work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Stagnation at middle management layer; Alignment issues at senior management layer (in 39 reviews)

More Highlights

Netapp isnt bad, but not all roses either

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

Reasonable salaries. No explosive growth ( means no explosive contractions ).
    Effort is made to communicate to employees, though poorly.

Cons

Poor translation of company goals down to the employees.
    Poor 401k matching
    Worthless stock options
    Management still using 1980 and 1990's models for performance and goal setting ( antique )

Make middle and low level management goals transparents to subordinates. If we're not partners in reaching goals together for our customers, then why is management even here ?

A pretty good place to work

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

NetApp is a successful company with a lot of interesting technology. Engineers with the right skills
    and temperament have good opportunities to influence direction and produce innovations that make
    a difference to the company's business.

Cons

NetApp is very inward looking. The system can be bewildering in its complexity; many newcomers
    have trouble mapping their past experience. The company is best at evolutionary baby steps, and
    often has a hard time getting new initiatives going. Many people would say that the environment is chaotic.

Make sure that the company's key initiatives are adequately funded and set up for success.
    Be ruthless in cutting out low-value activities.

Excellent place to work but you must excel in a fast paced competative environment.

Current Employee - Systems Engineer  in  McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

Great pay, great benefits package, good camaraderie, great product that customers love
    With 20-30% annual growth in employees there are always new positions opening.
    Fortune Magazine has ranked NetApp top place to work six years in a row coming at number 4 once.

Cons

Very busy all of the time...(good and bad)

Continue to devote resources to centralized tools that help the company move from the young company it once was to a more developed compnay most wish it to become.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great place to work and develop

Current Employee - Member of Management Staff  in  Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Member of Management Staff in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

NetApp appreciates how to provide a work/home balance. It is a growth company and has a global view. Both aspects appeal to me!

Cons

The growth creates constant change, this can be disruptive to some

Keep the same level of communication to all employees, it is much better than any other company that I have worked for.

thoughtful

Current Employee - District Sales Manager  in  Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - District Sales Manager in Vienna, VA

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

The products work. The customers actually like the people who interface with them - and I think it is because the corporate culture values the employees and the customers. I have worked at several nightmarish companies and I have real scars to prove it.

Cons

It's growth curve is so steep that planning for 3 years is dizzying. There are new employees showing up daily - and I have trouble keeping track.

Since the options market is dead and the options given to new employees is non-existent then get creative with after tax and before tax savings or investment programs. Why is the 401k matching fund rate so low?

Great place to work as a company

Current Employee - PS Field Employee  in  Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - PS Field Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

Fantastic place to work based on work vs family life balance. Executive management believes in striking a perfect balance. Work hard play hard mentality. Endless training opportunities in your field of employ in addition to personal development. Great opportunity to move up the food chain of management as well.

Cons

Some of the field management, in particular areas (read PS), are not seasoned or have the requisite experience to run departments. Frustration can creep in if you allow it and do not fight for your rights as an employee. It would be nice to have a manager who knows more then the people they manage, or at least shows interest in knowing more about the job.

Executive management is top notch at NetApp. Senior management is also pretty good. However, I would seriously recommend senior management taking the time to thoroughly vet middle management before they hire. Morale at a field level in certain departments is low due to the poor management and leadership skills of some of the middle management (read PS).

Still the best game in town

Current Employee - Escalations Engineer V  in  Research Triangle Park, NC
    Current Employee - Escalations Engineer V in Research Triangle Park, NC

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

Technology-oriented, leader in the industry.
    Good pay despite hearing tons of gripes, still has very good benefits.
    Small Silicon Valley culture still present for us old folk.

Cons

Cronyism has been rampant lately, recruiting poor, big company attitude seems almost welcome by many.
    Promotions are inconsistent (dumb people getting better jobs, good people being passed over repeatedly)
    Stock awards have dropped to maybe one-tenth of what they used to offer (used to get 2000 options for a good job, now you get 200)

Don't forget that the engineers are the ones that make you look good.

Great people, growing pains, still stuck in box selling

Current Employee - Professional Services Consultant  in  Englewood, CO
    Current Employee - Professional Services Consultant in Englewood, CO

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

Smart, dynamic pears. Friendly environment. Easy access to education. NetApp technology can be inspirational.

Cons

Field offices neglected. Still selling 'by the box'. Immature services offerings without enough investment in growth. Every role regardless of function is seen as a sales role - too much time is spent delivering and analyzing sales with non-sales staff. Travel is too much a part of the culture. Tendency to announce initiatives and then under-support or inconsistently support them.

Invest heavier in professional services. Recognize field work more outside California. Invest more in competitive analysis including competitive services. Talk sales numbers only with sales teams. Get post-sales delivery members out of pre-sales.

I won't mind retiring from this company (if things don't get worse)

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff IV  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff IV in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

People and interesting technology. People are just great! Very technically capable and just nice people to work with.

Cons

Having to deal with "off-shore" developers.

Talk to your engineers more often and listen(!!) what they are telling you.

High quality employees. Compensation need sto be more competitive

Current Employee - Member Technical Staff - IV  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Member Technical Staff - IV in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

Good Learning experience. High quality and helpful people.

Cons

Compensation needs to be more competitive

Create more levels in engineering between mts 4 and 5

Worked for NetApp? Contribute to the Community!