NetApp

NetApp Reviews

4.0

NetApp President & CEO Tom Georgens
Tom Georgens

Pros
  • Apparently they have a good work life balance which amounts to not doing much work (in 154 reviews)

• NetApp has been on the Fortune magazine's "great place to work" list for 12 years in a row (in 78 reviews)

Cons
  • Too much of work life balance leads to laziness in employees (in 27 reviews)

• Has its share of jerks in middle management that can make your life Hell (in 41 reviews)

More Highlights

Decent pay, decent benefits. Poor management, and the employees are generally not treated well.

Current Employee - MTS3 in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - MTS3 in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

Pretty good pay, good benefits. If you have a good manager who is willing to fight for you, it's a decent place to work.

Cons

I have very little faith in upper management. Quarterly all-hands meetings involve the guys in charge standing up there bragging about what a good job they are doing, and making excuses for why the company isn't living up to expectations and why the stock is tanking. When we do well they are geniuses, and when we do poorly it's about "market conditions".

Individual project managers are worse: they are only concerned about getting THIS release done on time, so they can collect their bonuses and move on to something else. They generally don't care about actually doing it properly, so that the solution scales and is maintainable. This leads to things getting VERY messy. It's obviously a lot less work to make an initial time investment and do it right the first time, but project managers have no incentive to do this, because they will be leading some other project by the time the sh*t hits the fan and someone has to clean up their mess. Suggesting a good, scalable solution instead of a "quick hack" will get shot down because of time considerations... the fact that the good solution will save many man-months of work in the long run is ignored, because the guy making the decisions only has monetary incentive to get this release done ASAP; there is no incentive to actually do a good job.

The company doesn't care about their employees. Last year they shut down over the whole week of the 4th of July. Your choices were, either take 4 days of vacation, or don't get paid. Who cares if you had other vacation time planned during the year? Not the guys in charge, that's for sure.

Make managers more accountable. It's not all about getting THIS release to work THIS quarter. Sometimes it's about doing it right from the start, so that we can get the next 10 releases in the next 20 quarters done without having to fix a big mess every time.

A great first impression from a new hire perspective.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

I feel taken care of here. There are many resources available and you're encouraged to take charge of your own professional development. Some people may not like the open-ended environment, but this is something I thrive off of. A lot of learning material is available online and there is a good sense of community.

Cons

Haven't been here long enough to know the intricacies of the company, but the only complaint I have so far is that the employee resources could be organized better. I have run into broken links and outdated information, but I make sure to do my part and report them.

Nothing yet...

Poor scope for career growth.

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

Stable job, no major layoff history, good gym, cafe.

Cons

No career growth, too many managers in engineering dept.
    Lately NetApp has hired a lot of managers in engineering dept. A lot of them do not manage engineering projects directly. Their job is to just manage other managers.

The primary goal of the engineering organization is to build great products. Do not waste too much time on activities like defining business needs/customer interaction etc. These are important company functions - but not for engineering. Cut down on the hierarchy within the engineering organization.
    And yes, make sure you monitor employee career growth on an ongoing basis.

NetApp is growing up

Current Employee - Product Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

NetApp gives employees flextime and the ability to work from home. NetApp also has volunteer hours that you can use to take time off for volunteering.

Cons

Although the company has grown larger, the back office infrastructure investment has been lagging behind. Although this is changing in certain areas, it is still very difficult to implement process improvement (for happy customers and happy employees) due to the inflexible systems. Middle management quality is hit or miss.

Stay focused on the big bets and give performance bonuses (and penalties) to the entire company based on the delivery of Data ONTAP 8.

Move Forward

Former Employee - Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at NetApp

Pros

This is a very forward thinking company. Senior management has good communication and keep all the employees well informed. Their new hire orientation is the best i've every seen in my 20 year career. The senior management is very straightforward and honest in their messaging.

Cons

Not so good if you are in hardware as they OEM HW. Now if you are looking for a job in HW where you want to cruise then it may be the perfect job for you. Also, the stock has not done so well recently. But, hopefully thats only temporary due to the economy in general.

think about SAN...

Hierarchical Environment

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

Good salaries. Collaborative work environment. Good benefits and very flexible about work/life balance. The ability to work remotely is different in every group. Some groups allow it willingly and others expect their employees in the office every day. No problem getting time off for appointments or family issues.

Cons

They have an 'open door' policy. But you better make sure all levels leading to that open door have been given a heads up that you are talking with an executive. It's a very hierarchical environment where decisions are made at the top and cascaded down. Project issues or problems are first brought to your manager even if you are leading the project.

Allow and support more 'grass roots'/bottom to top projects. Not all projects should come from senior management.

Great place to work. Could be better. Lots of smart engineers. Friendly atmosphere.

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

Very friendly atmosphere. Lots of smart people. Top management is great and very honest in telling the employees what's going on. Tom Mendoza the President is brilliant. Just hear the man talk.

Cons

Career advancement is limited when trying to get to senior engineer or technical director. Lots of incompetent folks have been hired of late especially into management and product management. Hierarchy has become very deep

Remove unecessary levels of hierarchy. Looking into the wasteful IT organization - do we need so many consultants ? Make it simple for people to understand why they are not being promoted. It is easy to leave Netapp for one year and come back a level higher. Doesn't make sense. Execute on projects instead of debating things

NetApp - A Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

NetApp has is a great meritocricy. People who work hard are recognized and compensated appropriately, people who do not are dealt with appropriately. Beyond all the great benefits, free food, and parties, this is more important than anything at NetApp.

Cons

Touchy feely employee culture. Many of the employees get their "feelings hurt" too easily.

Better ways for technology leaders to move into management. HR has some arcane rules right now. Keep up the growth and keep the communications going. I would not want to see NetApp crash overnight and have to lay off hundreds of employees.

Netapp, once you're in, you'll realize how much other jobs (and storage product concepts) really sucked.

Current Employee - Field Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Field Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

The environment allows a lot of personal freedom to develop your skills with minimal management intervention. Ive been here nearly a decade, left for 2yrs to try something different, missed it the day I left, and couldnt wait to get back once the right position opened up. Look, everyone has complaints, which GD is asking me to produce..but, theyre not things that kick me in the kidneys like other places that I've worked. This joint's laid back enough to let you work your way, just produce the expected results, and you'll find that exceeding customer and management's expectations is easy and fun to do...not a chore.

Cons

I would say..getting into netapp can be a challenge. Ive had friends bail out because the process lasted longer than their unemployment benefits did.

Also..whats up with no good raisin or cheese (without jalapeno's, really..) bagles? I recall late in '99 we switched bagel vendors once, and it's just never been the same.

None of those are "downsides"..except perhaps the bagel thing, and the improvements I would make might not go over well with everyone. Like...how about a "Bring your dog AND cats to work day."

THAT would be entertaining.

Look wider than just sales and engineering for all the good stuff and off-site rewards, your field people make & break you. A sale is a one-time transaction. What the field does good -or- bad, lasts forever, and pays back either good or bad for your company...many times over. We dont write code, but we're your corporate messenger at 3am, takin' that call, every day, worldwide, so you dont have to get that 3am call.

Brilliant and Appreciated!

Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

Corporate culture - people want to be at NetApp and generally try to make it a great place to be.
    information shareing - you can generally find what you need to know, who you need to talk to and they actually call you back !

Cons

middle management doesn't get it. It's one of the best led, worst managed places.
    Recruiter team is slow to respond and doesn't know how to follow up. candidates languish and twist in the wind while waiting for a call back .

be clear and concise in your message. take quick action and admit mistake.
    hold people accountable for results and fire that those that don't perform.