NetApp Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2010's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.

3.9

NetApp President & CEO Tom Georgens
Tom Georgens

Pros
  • Good work life balance is the only thing that might keep an employee here (in 115 reviews)

• NetApp has been on the Fortune magazine's "great place to work" list for 12 years in a row (in 74 reviews)

Cons
  • The manager sets the tone for the group in terms of culture and work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Stagnation at middle management layer; Alignment issues at senior management layer (in 39 reviews)

More Highlights

Cheap, cheap, cheap... but the people are great!

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at NetApp

Pros

Huge pool of some of the most talented engineers I have worked with. The most open management team I have ever seen.

Cons

Don't believe the hype. For those that are there that chant at very company meeting "Its the best place to work", they must have worked at some horrible places. Technical Directors are a role without mandate with an inability to execute on a vision. Management that spends time managing up rather than be honest with the reality of what we were doing.

Remove the layers of meaningless middle management, invest in the tools that enable productivity, stop waiting time with initiatives like SAP just to appease partners, tear apart the software stack and the management structure created around it and enable innovation... for the world is changing under your feet and you can't react fast enough.

What seen from outside is not the same from inside.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

A very well known company.

Cons

Legacy stuff holding back the growth of the company.

Advertising as top place to work for and then literary laying of people without letting them look for other opportunity within the company ....is not cool.

Overall a Good place to work

Current Employee - Senior Engineer  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

There are a lot of tasks on hand and you can potentially work on a number of things. If it will all be accounted for is a different question.

Cons

Getting quite political in a lot of groups. Qork culture has changed a lot since I joined.

Under the hoods, it is still not very genuine. People of lesser competance are sometimes lifted up and good employees are suppressed. The financial goals cannot be got just by talking to analysts and shareholders, we need better feedback system from within. This is the first company I have seen where the employee does not get an option to tell what he/she thinks of the mangement and other decisions taken. It is one way - someone will comment on the individual contributers only.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

It's an "okay" place.

Current Employee - Senior Engineer  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

There are many good people here.

Cons

There are some people in positions of power that don't understand what NetApp is good at, and especially, what it needs to improve on.

Pay attention to the total cost of quality when addressing new projects, instead of "saving $1" in one area, only to have to pay $10 in support in another area.

Great environment if you can handle the pace.

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

The company is big enough to be able to provide excellent benefits and working environment, yet the organisation of the company allows engineers at the coal-face to be feel like, they can really influence the direction of products and hance have a positive impact on the company as a whole.

Cons

There is so much work to do, and the calibre of engineers so high that it can sometimes be a little overwhelming. Everyone I know works incredibly hard, and puts in a lot of extra hours.

As with any company the size of NetApp (around 4500 employees) it can be frustrating when colleagues are in other timezones or countries.

Stay on target.

NetApp

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

Some of the best reasons to work at NetApp is the culture, depending on your team, can be laid back. There are flexible working hours, options to telecommute, and some good people.

Cons

-Critical information not always shared down the ladder.
    -Probably the same at other companies but is it's not too difficult for people walking in the hallways to look up and smile at each other. So smile or at least recognize you're walking by a colleague.

People are not simply numbers, even though that is how are valued. It would also be great to recognize teams or individuals for the hard work they put in on successful projects.

Happy

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

A very good growth in the company

Cons

Need to explore more !

dono

Great place to work, if you have a good manager.

Current Employee - Senior (software) Engineer  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior (software) Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

What you can accomplish here is basically limited only by *you*. If you see something that needs doing, it's not *that* hard to sell it and get started. There's a lot of freedom here. At the same time, if you're a junior person looking to learn stuff, there are great mentors here. If you're technical, don't be put off by the idea that this is a storage outfit; there are all kinds of interesting things to work on here.

Great communication from upper management. I used to work at a place where you'd read something about your company in the paper before you'd hear it from The Boss; here, they trust you not to share information with 200 of your closest friends in the securities industry. And speaking of the boss, our chairman/CEO and the president/COO are outstanding guys. You know that they're interested in the company's future and not in this just to get rich themselves (Dan would have quit a long time ago if that were the case). They are here to create an enduring organization that will contribute to the industry long-term, and thus have no problem telling the stock analysts, "We're gonna invest in the company's future, rather than doing artificial stuff to make you guys happy this quarter." I love it when execs at a public company this size can say that -- and do!

Cons

As someone else has noted, we're trying to grow into the size we've become. Though the small-company feel is great, it comes at the price of some immaturity in the area of "processes." So we've got to work on that.

A lot of your experience at NetApp (as anywhere) depends on who your direct supervisor is; get assigned to a bad one and things will not be so happy.

We have good managers and bad managers. While working for one of the latter, I considered leaving NetApp. So whereas I'd hate to run every manager through "management for dummies", *some* of them surely need it.

The same can be said for engineers, but improving managers has higher potential....

Good pay, good engineers and very poor business skill.

Current Employee - Account Manager  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

Compensation, work/life balance, benefits, stepping stone

Cons

very political, poorly managed, overall strategy flawed, execution poor, very poor level of education

invest in people more

Happy to be at NetApp

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

Great work-life balance, terrific people to work with, fun work environment, good benefits including 5 paid days of volunteer time off.

Cons

Not many...things are pretty good here...

Keep doing what you are doing...keep an eye out for departmental posturing...

Worked for NetApp? Contribute to the Community!