NetApp Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2010's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
3.9

NetApp President & CEO Tom Georgens
Tom Georgens

Pros
  • Good work life balance is the only thing that might keep an employee here (in 115 reviews)

• NetApp has been on the Fortune magazine's "great place to work" list for 12 years in a row (in 74 reviews)

Cons
  • The manager sets the tone for the group in terms of culture and work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Stagnation at middle management layer; Alignment issues at senior management layer (in 39 reviews)

More Highlights

Happy to be at NetApp

Current Employee - Senior Manager  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

Great work-life balance, terrific people to work with, fun work environment, good benefits including 5 paid days of volunteer time off.

Cons

Not many...things are pretty good here...

Keep doing what you are doing...keep an eye out for departmental posturing...

NetApp is the best company I have worked for!

Current Employee - Marketing  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

Great culture and leadership team that make employees feel appreciated.

Cons

I can't think of any downsides of working at NetApp.

Keep doing what you are doing.

Great foundation. Need to turn it up a notch in account management and team ownership!

Current Employee - Sales Manager  in  Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Denver, CO

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

Good people, process, technology and a great management team!

Cons

Transactional driven Need more internal supports for Customer support.

Account and long tern focus vs transational

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fun and interesting place to work; still growing into its current size.

Current Employee - Senior Manager, Engineering  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager, Engineering in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

Good management, not perfect but communicative and open. Good open-door policies, people who really like what they do, still has lots of small-company feel to it even though it's gotten pretty big.

Cons

NetApp is struggling a little bit to bridge the gap between being a small company and a big company; some of the energy and fun is getting left behind.

Remember the things that made this company great; attention to people, keeping things fun and challenging, minimizing busywork and bureaucracy even if it means giving up a bit of control.

Great Benefits, Fun place to work, management needs to keep up with times with regards to storage trends

Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Member of Technical Staff in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

Great Benefits, Open door policy!

If you are smart you will be recognized, not necessarily promoted, but recognized.

Cons

Some of the senior management are clueless about the current trends in the storage industry. The company has great products from a previous generation of smart people, but are now not innovating from the front, and reflects because newer management lacks vision in certain domains

Get with the program, promote smarter people from the ranks, and listen to your cutting edge newer customers.

NetApp is the place to be

Current Employee - Escalations Engineer IV  in  Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Escalations Engineer IV in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

NetApp has a quality product, and management fully supports innovation in the technologies and interfaces provided by the product to the customer. WRT management, the door is always open to discuss and test new ideas, and the product lines are open for scrutiny to all employees, be they engineer, support, or admin. NetApp devotes a great deal of resources in assisting their customer base, and the engineers employeed to support it. Advancement is a normal thing at NetApp, and consideration of the employee's satisfaction is always given, even if the losing section is going to have to struggle without the employee (personal satisfaction and advancement is always treated with importance). In every planning cycle, management gives consideration to losses to be incurred from upcoming promotions; in many of my previous jobs, I found myself in a 'one deep' position without possibility of advancement short of leaving the company; at NetApp, I know that regardless how much I achieve, advancement will always be available.

Cons

Downsides at NetApp? There are none. Seriously, any problem is addressed by management quickly, so problems are not too commonplace; about the only real problem I see is that sometimes sections are decimated by promotions beyond what management foresaw, and it takes time to rebuild the strength of the section; but the alternative (keeping employees blocked from advancement) seems like a poor solution in my eyes. If you have a desire to succeed, and if you like being recognised for work above and beyond the norm, NetApp is definitely a place to be.

Keep doing what you're doing, and do more of it.

Your happiness within a company can vary dramatically depending on the GROUP you are in and who you report to.

Former Employee - Marketing  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at NetApp

Pros

If you have a good Manager who knows what work/life balance is, then its great. But, many there have no idea what that term means.

Cons

I think your happiness within a company can vary dramatically depending on the GROUP you are in and who you report to.
    I was in 2 different groups at NetApp and had 2 totally, TOTALLY different experiences. The lunch room prices were also getting very expensive.

Some groups are run by fear. Some people are so afraid of some of the Directors there that the things done don't make any sense.

Great place to work, they get things done, but too many inefficiencies.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Research Triangle Park, NC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at NetApp

Pros

Successful company with good products.
    Competent engineering team.
    Many opportunities for growth/expansion within the company.
    Competitive pay and benefits.
    Well rewarded for job well done, when/if recognized

Cons

Large company, slow to effect changes.
    Lack of accountability from employees.
    If you want something done, where another team is dropping the ball, you have to do it yourself. You will end up with your plate overflowing while others sit idle.
    Internal communication could use improvement; too much email communication.
    Too many meetings, can't reach a consensus without a meeting.
    A lot of "throwing ownership" over the fence going on, nobody wants to own anything.
    Everybody wants to go to the party, nobody wants to stay and clean up.

Attempt to get rid of the "email communication" and "excessive meeting" diseases.
    Instill accountability upon each individual contributor and their management.
    Focus on taking care of customers and making sure they're happy, lots of room for improvement there.

Great Place

Current Employee - Systems Engineer  in  Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

good compensation. Respected company. If you are going to be working in the main headquarters @ Sunnyvale Ca. it is a different company. Very up beat and positive. If you are in the field there are none of the benefits.

Cons

Current cutbacks seriously hamper your ability to sell. NetApp is a great, growing company. They are a small company that got really big, really fast. They are not an enterprise player as they tout. They do not understand the concepts of selling in an enterprise space.

Get rid of some middle managment and add some resources to the field folks. We are dying out here. I am subsidizing your company by paying my own cell phones(>150$), eating most of my milage, travel, customer meals, and other travel expenses. it is silly.

FAILED MANAGEMENT at all levels from top to bottom

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

paycheck that is it, will be leaving shortly. Not the same company it once was

Cons

Management that does not care one bit in quality control. Lack of head count for people that do work, plenty of failed managers from previous companies and their failed minions that 'act' as managers.

WALK away from the company let new blood come in. You have no idea how to continue growing the company. To the company in the 'west' Clean house or the stake you have will be nothing in 2 years.

Worked for NetApp? Contribute to the Community!