NetApp

www.netapp.com
  www.netapp.com

NetApp Reviews

These reviews contributed towards 2011's Best Places to Work recognition. See ratings and reviews for all time.
3.8

NetApp President & CEO Tom Georgens
Tom Georgens

Pros
  • Apparently they have a good work life balance which amounts to not doing much work (in 144 reviews)

• NetApp has been on the Fortune magazine's "great place to work" list for 12 years in a row (in 76 reviews)

Cons
  • Too much of work life balance leads to laziness in employees (in 27 reviews)

• Has its share of jerks in middle management that can make your life Hell (in 41 reviews)

More Highlights

NetApp IS a great place to work!

Current Employee - Professional Services Consultant in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Professional Services Consultant in Irvine, CA

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

Good pay and benefits. Great opportunities to learn. Ability to touch all aspects of NetApp technologies. Good work life balance. Ability to choose areas of focus within you general job parameters.

Cons

Lots of change coming as NetApp adjusts to new senior leadership.

Ease back on changes in Professional Services, I think some employees are starting to think the sky is falling.

One of the best in Silicon Valley. What HP used to be like 20 years ago...

Current Employee - Market Development in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Market Development in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

Great people, great management, winning technology. I feel I am really making a difference.

Cons

Not many. You do have to deliver, which means often working hard, but you get rewarded.

Tom Georgens was a GREAT pick as the new CEO.

A very nice place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

Management listens closely to their employees and makes cahnges and adjustmetns quickly. This company is FOCUSED - we do storage - and nothing else.

Cons

No one is perfect, some of the lower mgmt are rather like working for a pizza store manager.

Work to retain our good people and cut lose those who do not fit.

Great company to work for

Current Employee - MTS3 in Cranberry Twp, PA
    Current Employee - MTS3 in Cranberry Twp, PA

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

Culture, People, pay and business model

Cons

vacation time and 401k are not very competitive, Less than industry standard.

Nothing

Company is very collaborative, with minimal politics.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waltham, MA

I worked at NetApp

Pros

Very people oriented culture that is strongly supported by management. Company recognizes the need to change as it grows, and is quite committed to developing the needed processes, tools, and infrastructure. Management views the big picture, and is willing to tackle big problems.

Cons

Company does not have corporate wide product planning methodology or tools. Planning mechanisms are mostly ad hoc, on a group by group basis.

Processes to support better linkage between customer needs/desires/inputs and development plans is needed. Market needs vs engineering desires can be strengthened.

NetApp *is* a great place to work

Current Employee - NetApp *is* A Great Place to Work in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - NetApp *is* A Great Place to Work in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

Culture, autonomy, career advancement, great products, innovative

Cons

Not enough cafes on campus

none

Good Large Company

Current Employee - MTS-IV in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - MTS-IV in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

Netapp has good benefits and the pace of work is ok. If you are looking for a large company, you could do a lot worse.

Cons

There is little opportuniity for advancement for MTS level staff, esp. since the company is not growing. But that is typically around here.

Make decisions and stick with them. It seems that a higher than usual proportion of projects get cancelled or back burnered.

NetApp TSE

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer III in Durham, NC
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer III in Durham, NC

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

Challenging work, Typical day is 8 hours

Cons

Case workload is excessive at times. Understaffed

Continue to add new hire Technical Support Engineer, so we can avoid burnout.

Once was great...

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at NetApp

Pros

Sunnyvale has a really nice modern campus and buildings..
    Standard benefits for a high-tech company in Silicon Valley, and the benefits are really over and above if you have children.

Until a few years ago, we knew we were making a difference, knew we were helping to build something great, knew we were making history. We knew we were working too hard, and being paid too little, consuming more late night pizza and cola than bears thinking about, but wow, we were really having fun. We were all empowered to take risks, to innovate, and to drive change. Managers did real work. Executive management did a fantastic job with the vision, finances, etc; and was open, honest, trustworthy. Employees were loyal, and dedicated to doing something we could be proud of, and winning. It was all incredibly satisfying.

Cons

Employees are no longer empowered to innovate.
    Management is making decisions for political or CYA reasons, rather than strategic reasons.
    Middle managers hired from the outside by friends inside, or promoted from within to their level of incompetence.
    Too many people doing little or nothing. Really good people let go in last Feb layoffs, and so many useless people retained, and still wandering around doing nothing. Incomprehensible.
    Products go to market too fast. Too many bugs.
    Infrastructure is falling apart, and funding to replace it is scarce or non-existent. IT seems to be exhausted (though that seems to be the case almost everywhere).

NetApp is no different from any other company now. As it matures, it is becoming fearful of change, inflexible, process heavy, hiring managers who are killing the once-extraordinary culture very rapidly, and hiring average or incompetent individual contributors who are just looking for a paycheck. Many formerly dedicated employees are becoming recruitable. There is a steady trickle out of people who cared, and when the job market gets easier, my guess is that it will be a rolling river.

Slow down with the rushing to market - get stuff stable.
    Review your middle management! Weed out the bozos. They are everywhere. Stop allowing their fear, personal agendas, and nepotism to rule. Set up an environment where passion and talent are valued, and watch innovation happen, all over again. Good luck.

Bad place to work if you are at the bottom of the food chain. Recognition doesn't happen on technical employees.

Former Employee - NGS Test Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - NGS Test Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at NetApp

Pros

If you are on a managerial position only. Not much layoffs. Market standard benefits. Salary as also the same as market standards.

Cons

Top management doesn't recognize real contributor. Favoritism is all over the place. Too many people passing their workload to other people. Meetings there is equal to "blame storming" not "brain storming"

Start acknowledging people and stop hogging the credits. Just remember that not all people are happy just having a job or just having the nice salary. If employees are not properly recognized for their work, they will tend to leave.