NetApp Reviews

48 reviews filtered by
  • Any Status
Employment Status

Reset

1. Best company that I have ever worked for!

Current Employee - Internal Communications - Human Resources in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Internal Communications - Human Resources in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

NetApp management's interactions with staff are based upon candor, honesty, and respect for individual contributions. Managers are committed to earning the trust and confidence of their teammates. As a group, we achieve synergy through the skills and ideas of all participants. Through collaboration, we strive for win/win solutions to issues and problems. Personal success is realized through team achievements. And as part of the NetApp team, I feel that I have the support and backing to be successful in my career. NetApp cares about its employees and its contractors, which is rare. If you are a contractor, you are treated with the same respect as an employee, and are never treated like a second class citizen.

Cons

There are not many downsides. Perhaps the only downside that comes to mind is that we might over communicate to our internal staff at times. So perhaps we need to have a more solid communications plan in place.

Advice to Management

As mentioned in the Cons section, there needs to be less communication overload and more clear and succinct communication.

NetApp allows employees to accomplish great things & rewards them for it

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

NetApp trusts it's employees. NetApp rewards hard work. NetApp promotes a great culture of openness and honesty. The company is dedicated to delivering great products and great customer service.

Cons

We need to better define and align responsibility and accountability. We need to do a spend more time thinking, planning, and acting strategically, instead of tactically.

Advice to Management

We need to keep the bar very high for new employees.

Once Upon A Time...

Former Employee - Inside Sales in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Former Employee - Inside Sales in Research Triangle Park, NC

Pros

...NetApp was the envy of RTP and much of the corporate US. A place with tons of room for intelligent, motivated employees to make a name for themselves and feel like they were contributing to a great company. There were innovative products, the company was big enough to make a splash but small enough to change course when needed. Management was effective, for the most part. Employee Stock Purchase was and still seems to be very generous. NetApp had (and still has afaik) unique perks like free beer every week, paid volunteer time, etc. Pay and benefits were par for the course in high-tech, maybe a little low in some roles. A relaxed environment where it was almost always ok to wear casual clothes, take a long lunch here or there, and speak your mind when you felt necessary without fear of retaliation.

Cons

However, the company has grown too big for itself - the culture has not been sustained. More managers are being hired than needed, usually through tech company inbreeding (in RTP: Cisco, Red Hat, etc). Too much nepotism in general, especially in more relationship based roles such as sales and marketing. Politics and bureaucracy have gotten out of hand and the company just didn't "feel" the same anymore. Personally I often witnessed praise given to team members who were widely known to be ineffectual and incompetent while the true contributors received nothing but more work to do.

Advice to Management

- Less middle management needed: too many are in over their heads already - Recognize and reward true contributors - Focus more on employee well being instead of stock price

5. I love NetApp

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

Great Place to Work for people with families.

Cons

Nothing comes to mind currently.

Inflexible

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

Strong culture, hard working people. There is also a very good gym onsite (in Sunnyvale) - if you get an opportunity to use it, though :).

Cons

Salaries much lower than elsewhere in the industry. Very inflexible culture. I am expected to physically sit there in my cube, whether I have anything to do or not, whether I have to have my car fixed or not. There is very little opportunity to work from home, or to take time off here and there (i.e., come in later, leave earlier and compensate by logging in from home at night.) I am underpaid and micro-managed.

Advice to Management

Please trust your employees * to work* while they work at home. Sometimes they just need to be there because someone is coming to work in the house, etc. We are professionals, we don't need to be constantly supervised.

7. Overall good place to be

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Pros

Benefits and people are wonderful

Cons

sometimes middle managment seems disconnected

Was once a great place to work, now just an "ok" place to work.

Current Employee - Human Resources in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Sunnyvale, CA

Pros

Fast paced, autonomy, generally positive place to work. Rapidly growing with good benefits and fair compensation.

Cons

Increasingly bureaucratic. Was a much better place to work a few years ago. Run like an 8000 person start up and VERY silo-ed with a poor systems infrastructure. Little opportunity for true career advancement. Culture turning into a caste system of haves and have-nots.

Advice to Management

You have some old legacy, sacred cows that need to go. Bring in people that have been were we want to be instead of promoting people to their highest level of incompetence. You need better planning for the future. The one year at a time and mid year change planning is killing you. You need to make some strategic, bold acquisitions or I fear we will find ourselves standing alone with one product to sell.

9. Excellent place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Raleigh, NC

Pros

Great company to work for

Cons

None that I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

RSS Feed </> Embed