NetApp Reviews

1,472 Employee Reviews

Great Place to Work

Current Employee - Software QA Engineer in Morrisville, NC
    Current Employee - Software QA Engineer in Morrisville, NC

I have been working at NetApp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

NetApp really focuses on making sure it's a great place to work. Internal hackathon-type and idea sharing events provide a great way for engineers to tap into their creative side and share their ideas on a broad stage. The RTP site has weekly Beer Bashes to encourage cross-discipline communication and networking. Management is generally very attentive to individual needs. Managers really care about individuals doing what inspires them and makes them happy. Even if that means leaving their team, they will (in my experience) try to help you find something you like within the company.

Cons

The data storage industry is very competitive right now, and NetApp's salaries have been lagging a bit behind. Although they have excellent platforms for innovation, their process around it is somewhat lacking. Many people are however dedicated to innovation and are working to make sure new ideas get the attention they deserve.

Advice to Management

The company as a whole needs to implement more solid practices around pursuing innovation. Keeping an eye on the Product Operations environments, benefits, and practices of competitors should help upper management to keep NetApp engineering competitive.

2. Good product but no clear direction to future

Pros

Work culture is great. People respect you for what you do.

Cons

No clear technical direction. No coherency in management execution.

Work review

Current Employee - Technical Marketing Engineer in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Technical Marketing Engineer in Raleigh, NC

Pros

The life work balance is still pretty acceptable.

Cons

They think more outsourcing is going to fix the problem.

5. Opinion

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, CA

I have been working at NetApp full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company cares about its employees

Cons

It is no longer a rapid growing company

Great teams, incompetent executive leadership

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Cranberry Twp, PA
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Cranberry Twp, PA

I have been working at NetApp full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I've worked at the Cranberry Twp, PA office for a while, and I have no complaints about the caliber of engineers (at least in the core software development teams) and all my managers have been technically competent, reasonable, and accommodating. Although it's suffering a brain-drain, there are still a lot of very smart, very cool people here, and I'm legitimately proud to work with them.

Cons

The executive leadership is wildly, demonstratively incompetent. NetApp is an increasingly icky place to work with regular annual layoffs, cratering stock price, and a near-freeze on raises and promotions. (Mind you, NetApp is still extremely profitable - all the layoffs and austerity are to marginally improve the quarterly report numbers in the hope that shareholders won't axe the executive team.) As long as I've worked here, I've listened to a parade of executives bloviating buzzwords and execuspeak in quarterly all-hands meetings. And I just assumed that since they make the big bucks, they probably know what they're doing, and my impression that they’re all incompetent is based in my own business-incompetence. But in six years, I’ve never once seen one of their dumb ideas proved not-dumb. I don’t know how/if the company will ever be successful again. (To be fair, we did just fire the old CEO, and have George Kurian in the interim. I always thought Kurian was one of the good ones - though if he authorized the VED rollout, that might speak against his technical competence.)

Advice to Management

Executive management: you're terrible. Will you have the temerity to send out another GPTW survey this year? Lower level management: bail while "NetApp" still looks good on your resume!

7. Work Life Balance

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People are great to work with here . Work Life Balance is great

Cons

Company is having some growing pains, many changes of late. Sometimes teams work in Silos

8. Innovative and Employee Focused company

I have been working at NetApp full-time

Pros

Great company with a product leading the market. Fantastic collaboration and teams that build cutting edge solutions. Ability to think out of the box, apply your ideas and make things better. It's needed in a company of change, all employees working toward a common goal. The opportunity to actually make an impact to the product.

Cons

Lot of changes in past year. Layoffs, CEO step down, No merit program.

Grew too fast

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hillsborough, NC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hillsborough, NC

I have been working at NetApp full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Some departments are great and still live the culture NetApp was once known for, while others are overworked, understaffed.

Cons

Understaffed, overworked. Processes seem a bit outdated.

Advice to Management

Make sure you use your people to their potential and not overlook some of the experience they have.

10. Technical Support Engineer

Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Lake Mary, FL
    Current Employee - Technical Support Engineer in Lake Mary, FL

Pros

This is an excellent opportunity to learn and grow at a company that takes care of you

Cons

Less about NetApp but more about working a support role is that there is not that much of an opportunity for "hands on" training

Advice to Management

Offer more opportunities for hands on training. Continue to do a great job taking care of your direct reports so that they can support your customers.

11. Just Ok

I have been working at NetApp full-time

Pros

Awesome people, awesome schedule with telecommute. Very results driven but relaxed environment. Great pay.

Cons

Everyone is afraid to take risks. Middle management sucks.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to innovate!

Showing 1,472 of 1,592 reviews