NetApp Reviews

3.7
1,136 Reviews

NetApp President & CEO Tom Georgens
Tom Georgens

Pros
  • Apparently they have a good work life balance which amounts to not doing much work (in 141 reviews)

• NetApp has been on the Fortune magazine's "great place to work" list for 12 years in a row (in 76 reviews)

Cons
  • Too much of work life balance leads to laziness in employees (in 27 reviews)

• Has its share of jerks in middle management that can make your life Hell (in 41 reviews)

More Highlights

This is not the NetApp I signed up for.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at NetApp full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

1) Good people work here.
    2) Certain departments are flexible in regards to telecommuting.
    3) Gym is nice.

Cons

NetApp has changed over the last several years. There is a tremendous amount of internal politics, which is spreading through the company like a cancer. The results are apparent by the “Best Company to Work for Ranking”.

I believe that NetApp will fall out of ranking within the next several years.

NetApp is currently a ship without a rudder. Upper Management needs to talk to the workers on what's going on, not middle management. All the political bickering is stagnating the company’s growth and will be its downfall.

Used to be a lot of fun, with happy, competent people working as a team ... it was the best place to work.

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at NetApp full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Fast-paced environment. Challenging and engaging.

Cons

Too many changes and re-orgs. Too many priorities and changes in focus.
    Management has not been able to move from tactical and reactive back to strategic thinking and solid execution.

The company is losing a lot of great people due lay offs and because of lack of satisfaction. Employees are not feeling 'the love' anymore. Focusing on a solid plan and execution may help keep the great people stay.

Worst decision I ever made

Former Employee - Member Technical Staff, Software in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Member Technical Staff, Software in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at NetApp full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- There is not much work at NetApp. So, if are trying to get into a better company, you can prepare for interviews during your office hours.

Cons

- Joining NetApp was the worst decision I ever made in my life. I was a new college graduate and I wanted challenging work. The NetApp technology is so obsolete and there is nothing new. No innovation in their products AT ALL.
    - The managers and directors are so dumb. They don't know how to handle employees and innovate products. The managers at NetApp are dumbest I have ever seen. My manager doesn't understand anything about the product and encourages politics.
    - The pay/compensation is way below the average pay in Silicon valley. The mandatory shutdowns screw the employees.
    - New college grads don't wanna join NetApp. Even if they do, 95% of them quit within a year.
    - Overall, NetApp is not going anywhere. Given the worthlessness of the management and the quality of the engineers, NetApp is THE devil's workshop.

Eliminate all dumb directors and managers and QA. Rethink storage to match current needs and advancements. Attract talent by innovation. And finally, be competitive and STOP TALKING ABOUT CULTURE.

Overall great place to work unless in support

Former Employee - Technical Support Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC
    Former Employee - Technical Support Manager in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at NetApp full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great salary, benefits and bonuses. Also great technology to learn. Decent number of opportunities within the company to move to different roles over the course of several years.

Cons

The support organization lacks enabled leadership. Management has very little span of control up to the senior levels. This creates an environment where executive orders are passed down but then management is not enabled to effectively complete those goals. It also does not allow front line management the flexibility to make improvements where needed to retain top talent. Finally, there is a major degree of separation between those with the authority and those with the knowledge to implement effective change. Then end result is senior technical resources frustrated with neutered management.

To senior leadership, put trust in your front line managers. Enable them to run the business as it should be run. Let the people who are close to the business make decisions that can impact talent retention and overall job satisfaction.

Satellite office

I worked at NetApp

Pros

Beer bash, work environment, occasional free lunch. Data ONTAP has potential, I suppose, but it's way behind the competition and is playing catchup.

Cons

The Waltham office is a satellite to the HQ in Sunnyvale and has always been treated as such - insignificant. Lots of incompetent middle management promoted from within. 4 VPs in less than 2 years?! Monthly attrition at a great place to work?!

Get a clue about the entire company, not just the people you see everyday.

A big company

Current Employee - Member Technical Staff, Software
    Current Employee - Member Technical Staff, Software

I have been working at NetApp full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Still an industry leader; old but solid technology base with interesting possibilities; good people and traces of the old NetApp linger on; pay and benefits in line with other big companies.

Cons

Big company attitudes; layoffs now almost routine; forced vacation; no equity for new hires--you are just a wage earner; morale-killing stack ranking; generally antiquated and heavy processes leading to low productivity; workspaces decreased to absolute minimum size tolerable by humans; top-down me-too "strategy"; lots of pressure to produce, but you are just a cog.

Culture and innovation are just words unless you give them meaning.

Software engineer

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work-life balance. Pretty chilled out setting. No micro management in most teams. Work at your pace.

Cons

Salary is not great. Work is slow. Growth and technology are pretty old.

Try to retain talent.

Great Products with a lot of potential

Current Employee - Systems Engineer
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer

I have been working at NetApp full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Decent benefits and compensation. Volunteer time provided in addition to vacation time. Great product line.

Cons

Repeating what another employee posted - it's difficult to grow within the company. First you feel bored in the same position, you become trapped and then become complacent. I think it's more common then mgmt wants to admit. Laid back attitude amongst protected employees does discontent.

Take an honest realistic look at what's not working and do something about it otherwise the company will go into a tailspin. Partner strategy should be reviewed as it sometimes just doesn't make sense especially when the customer is against it. It seems anybody can hang a shingle outside their door and become a NetApp partner. We need to be much more selective. Do something with the billions in cash in the treasury.

Software Intern

I worked at NetApp as an intern

Pros

People are friendly, good work to be done. Work/life balance is valued. Have the option of working from home Employees can come and go whenever you want as long as you get the work done.

Cons

Project was not well defined. I was asked to make decisions and give opinions without enough information. Did not feel completely comfortable with the team as other interns were. A good experience, depends on the manager and team. Interns at headquarters have a more enjoyable experience compared to other sites it seems.

Define a project scope in advance and make sure everyone knows what can be accomplished. More guidance needed for interns.

Used to be great

I have been working at NetApp full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Still has a good culture

Cons

Not the same place it used to be. Very political environment. Sales has all the power

Listen to your teams, everyone wants change but the more things change the more they stay the same