NetApp Reviews

3.7
1,111 Reviews

NetApp President & CEO Tom Georgens
Tom Georgens

Pros
  • Good work life balance is the only thing that might keep an employee here (in 115 reviews)

• NetApp has been on the Fortune magazine's "great place to work" list for 12 years in a row (in 74 reviews)

Cons
  • The manager sets the tone for the group in terms of culture and work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Stagnation at middle management layer; Alignment issues at senior management layer (in 39 reviews)

More Highlights

Great culture, good product

Current Employee - Software Engineer II  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer II in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp full-time for more than a year

Pros

Work with smart passionate people. Company is committed to customer success. Opportunities to work on on your own ideas, with support of management.

Cons

Benefits lag comparable companies in the industry. Not much transparency into what the overall strategy is from upper level management. Management needs to take more risks and diversify the company through investments, M&A

Be more informative about strategy,

Perfect work/life balance

Current Employee - Executive Assistant  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

NetApp enables me to have a work/life balance with the ability to grow into my current role.

Cons

I do not have anything negative to report.

Best place to work? Are you kidding me?

Former Employee - Senior Engineer  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at NetApp full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

There are no pros that I can think of...

Cons

Politics everywhere... spreading like a cancer.... Get out while you can... I did.

Retire and hire new leadership... Georgean is a joke. Employees only hear him once a quarter and emails about layoffs and best place work survey... What a joke.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

good company go bad

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at NetApp full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

good office hardware, lots of resources

Cons

too many people doing nothing

NetApp is a great company to work for. The company culture is wonderful

Former Employee - Business Analyst  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at NetApp full-time for more than a year

Pros

Upper management is really taking care of people. They provide excellent compensation and leadership is great.

Cons

Now, it depends on who is the manager you are reporting to. Your direct manager makes a different on the experience of the company.

None

Good company to work for

Former Employee - Systems Engineer
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer

I worked at NetApp full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great pay and benefits
    Much talked about culture - can do attitudes and very helpful co-workers
    Knowledgeable senior leadership
    Great communication from senior executives via all hands meetings and initial new hire orientations

Cons

Not all management is aligned with valued culture - sometimes just words and not demonstrated in actions
    Incentive compensation sometimes challenging around fiscal year end (receipt not always assured)
    Poor experience with integration of acquired companies and intellectual property
    Lack of career path opportunities from a management perspective (100% left up to employee to drive)
    Multiple corporate layoffs in the last 12 months

Culture varies greatly by what office one works out of - this inconsistency is very discouraging to those in non-primary locations (meaning not in Sunnyvale, RTP or New York for example).

MTS

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff QA  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff QA in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp full-time for more than a year

Pros

Some technology are still good.

Cons

After working one year at Netapp in Sunnyvale, I feel it is the worst decision I ever made to choose Netapp as my first job.
    Salary is at best the market average in the bay area, most likely well below the market average. Name a company that's the same size with Netapp and easily you'll find out most of them pays better than Netapp. Lay-off has become a habit whenever the revenue doesn't look good. Management aren't doing anything serious to bring the company back into growth. Morale is pretty low among the engineers and NCG keeps leaving within a year or two. Shut-down week happens twice in a year and if you don't take those days off as vacation, your income is impacted. Good culture is going away.

Good benefits, good culture, middle level management needs some improvement.

Former Employee - Global Services  in  Research Triangle Park, NC
    Former Employee - Global Services in Research Triangle Park, NC

I worked at NetApp full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Good Benefits and Culture, Upper management has a vision and are attempting to follow this appropriately.

Cons

Middle management is in need of improvement

Your middle management is more worried about their own career and not taking care of those that work under their guidance.

Terrific company to work for.

Former Employee - Technical Program Manager  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Program Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at NetApp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The executive management makes tough but necessary decisions to ensure they are continuously growing. They benefits and compensation packages are generous and competitive. Flexible work hours, excellent fitness center, and terrific people to work with.

Cons

I found it difficult to grow within the company. First you feel bored in the same position, then you become trapped. After, you become complacent and then technology has passed you by.

Keep doing what your doing. Cut programs and products that don't provide optimal growth potential and reinvest in where the company can flourish.

A little too proud of how they think they treat their employees

Former Employee - Principal QA Engineer  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Principal QA Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at NetApp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

NetApp had a good cash flow, allowing them a nice campus with a phenomenal gym. The pay was above Silicon Valley average based on what I saw.

Cons

They seemed to have taken their corporate culture from former Sun employees. They grew too quickly and then, realizing their mistake, laid off 10% of the company in 2013, and more the year after.

The engineering bureaucracy had become so convoluted that it was difficult to get anything done on a macro scale in a short amount of time. Everything had a committee, forcing small groups to ignore the rules and regulations to just get things done.

Stop spending so much time congratulating yourselves on being a great place to work -- when you've laid off 10% of your employees, it is, perforce, not a great place to work.

Spend time reviewing engineering processes and decentralize them to reduce the bottlenecks that exist.

There is a lot of engineering debt that needs to be paid. Pay the price and fix the problems in engineering instead of just hoping it will be fixed magically

Worked for NetApp? Contribute to the Community!