NetApp

3.7
1,219 Reviews

NetApp President & CEO Tom Georgens
Tom Georgens

Pros
  • Apparently they have a good work life balance which amounts to not doing much work (in 154 reviews)

• NetApp has been on the Fortune magazine's "great place to work" list for 12 years in a row (in 78 reviews)

Cons
  • Too much of work life balance leads to laziness in employees (in 27 reviews)

• Has its share of jerks in middle management that can make your life Hell (in 41 reviews)

More Highlights

385 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great for exposure to a broad spectrum of technologies. Not so great for professional growth. WAY too many meetings.

Former Employee - Unix Systems Administrator in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Unix Systems Administrator in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at NetApp full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Opportunity to enhance skills in every aspect of the modern datacenter: VDI (VMware, Xen), networking, storage (FC, iSCSI, NFS, CIFS), Enterprise OSes (Windows 2008/2012, RHEL/Debian/Suse, FreeBSD)).

Cons

Limited/unclear professional growth path for 'in the trenches' IT. Frequent layoffs that negatively impact overall perception of the company among current employees. Management calls far too many unnecessary meetings with no clear purpose for all participants.

Please reevaluate your use of meetings. Empower and (then) trust your team to do amazing work without your frequent check-ins and questioning. Time is a commodity. Time spent in a meeting should generate a return on investment- not fettered productivity.

Technical Marketing Engineer

Current Employee - Technical Marketing Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Marketing Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp

Pros

Office culture, perks, work life balance,business trips, trainings

Cons

promotion, compensation on location change,

Software Engineering Intern

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at NetApp

Pros

Friendly people, great intern culture. We had leadership give us career talks and volunteering in the community opportunities.

Cons

Unclear leadership, project design specs. Felt like my project was not very important, however I do know some interns who had better experiences. Company has a pretty old average age and not growing or changing very well against circumstances.

I think there could have been more communication and guidance with the beginning of the intern project. Although its nice to be left on your own it can be overwhelming for a college student to be on their own with a lot of legacy code and vague project specs.

Excellent internship experience at a company with integrity that cares about its people and its culture.

Former Employee - Intern in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at NetApp as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

In speaking to coworkers at NetApp, many emphasized fellow coworkers' willingness to help each other that they had not found at other companies. I found this to be true as well in my experience at the company. Everyone was extremely friendly and always willing to stop what they were doing to provide assistance when needed. The company encouraged this team environment with team-building events and open communication between managers and employees. The company is also extremely committed to employee development and growth, from managers showing interest in employee growth to specific training programs and classes. During my internship at NetApp, for example, the interns attended talks and Q&A sessions with executives who offered personal and professional advice. They also launched a mentoring program this summer where new college grads mentored interns. NetApp also cares about doing well and succeeding in its field while never compromising its integrity. In their All-Hands meetings, the CEO and executive team emphasized their commitment to integrity and this value was also espoused by lower level management as well and for the most part seemed to be lived out in both daily office life and major decisions made by the executive team. The salaries for interns are also generous and competitive and they receive the benefit of free access to the gym and workout classes. The benefits for full-time employees are also generous. From my intern experience, I think NetApp truly deserves its high Great Place to Work ranking. I feel it is a company I can trust and would be happy to work at full-time. It seems the full-time employees feel the same way.

Cons

NetApp is an extremely large company and therefore it is impossible to connect with everyone. However, the individual teams do a good job of remaining connected and building the community necessary for productivity and work satisfaction so this is not a huge issue. Additionally, some office gossip did occur which at times made it difficult to maintain respect for both the managers and coworkers gossiping and those being gossiped about. Granted, this gossip is to be found in any work environment to some degree, but hopefully managers do their part in quelling such harmful talk rather than encouraging or participating in it.

Great company to start your career.

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Company culture is great- people are willing to help you out.
    Free bagels and fruit on certain days.
    Company holiday shutdowns.
    Great work-life balance
    Great benefits (401K match)

Cons

Inefficient processes that come with a large company.
    Upward mobility is extremely limited and based on seniority and how long you have been at the company as opposed to your performance.

Process heavy sometimes senseless

Current Employee - MTS5 in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - MTS5 in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Smart engineers. Good technology and excellent gym. Trying new markets and hopefully will succeed.

Cons

Very slow turn around in execution. Slow promotion cycle. Slide crazy company

Please focus on execution. Need clarity at the execution layer. Middle management is clueless and hence the burden falls on execs.

Great to disappointing instead of good to great

Former Employee - Director in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Director in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at NetApp full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great top level leadership and by and large a skilled workforce. Generally paid well. Has great cultural roots. Executive management is highly focused on great culture. At some point it just stopped to translate down the ranks. Some of the smartest people I've ever worked with. Exciting technology space.

Cons

Somewhere the company strayed from its path. The management layer just below the X suite failed to live the culture and set some wrong examples. Lots of petty battles. Gradually loosing technology leadership. Some fear of taking moon shots and incubating new ideas with the start up mentality the company used to have.

Break things. Break organizations into smaller units that become functional again. Examine hiring practices and find ways to incubate entrepreneurial spirit. Weed out people that fight their personal petty battles

Member Technical Staff 2

Former Employee - Member Technical Staff, Software in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Member Technical Staff, Software in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at NetApp

Pros

Company values, work-life balance, annual shutdown

Cons

Personal growth, Stale technology, Compensation

Good company to work for if you are interested in Protocols, Low level coding and in general, Systems programming

I worked at NetApp

Pros

Nice work atmosphere, employees and managers are really cool. You might end up having to be a workaholic depending on the team.

Cons

Not sure how the company's long term path might fit your careers goals, especially if you are starting as an NCG at NetApp. They do not have too many new projects, so you will end up fixing a lot of Bugs along with a few features. Most of the code has already been developed.

Senior Engineer

Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at NetApp full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Easy availability of information (technical) over wiki.
    Top notch engineers

Cons

Tough and fast moving technology (storage). Hard for large company like netapp to monuver

Take more risk