NetApp

NetApp Reviews in San Jose, CA

Updated Jul 26, 2014

NetApp President & CEO Tom Georgens

Tom Georgens

Pros
  • Good work life balance is the only thing that might keep an employee here(in 115 reviews)

• NetApp has been on the Fortune magazine's "great place to work" list for 12 years in a row(in 74 reviews)

Cons
  • The manager sets the tone for the group in terms of culture and work/life balance(in 25 reviews)

• Stagnation at middle management layer; Alignment issues at senior management layer(in 39 reviews)

335 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Very good place to work.

Member of Technical Staff III (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsGood value for hard work and you are recognized well

ConsI don't see any cons as of now

Good place to work, focused on growth and productivity

MTS3 (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsAt NetApp, they encourage friendly work environment, and focus is on employ satisfaction. Great place to work, in terms of work culture and environment.

ConsIt's challenging as the department I worked for went through few reorgs in the span of 2-3 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementIt would help not to have so many reorgs in engineering. Even though Individual contributors are not shuffled around, changing managers affects the productivity as it takes time for an individual to adjust to new manager and his/her style of management.

This is not the NetApp I signed up for.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

Pros1) Good people work here.
    2) Certain departments are flexible in regards to telecommuting.
    3) Gym is nice.

ConsNetApp has changed over the last several years. There is a tremendous amount of internal politics, which is spreading through the company like a cancer. The results are apparent by the “Best Company to Work for Ranking”.

I believe that NetApp will fall out of ranking within the next several years.

Advice to Senior ManagementNetApp is currently a ship without a rudder. Upper Management needs to talk to the workers on what's going on, not middle management. All the political bickering is stagnating the company’s growth and will be its downfall.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Used to be a lot of fun, with happy, competent people working as a team ... it was the best place to work.

Senior Manager (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsFast-paced environment. Challenging and engaging.

ConsToo many changes and re-orgs. Too many priorities and changes in focus.
    Management has not been able to move from tactical and reactive back to strategic thinking and solid execution.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe company is losing a lot of great people due lay offs and because of lack of satisfaction. Employees are not feeling 'the love' anymore. Focusing on a solid plan and execution may help keep the great people stay.

Software engineer

Software Engineer (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsWork-life balance. Pretty chilled out setting. No micro management in most teams. Work at your pace.

ConsSalary is not great. Work is slow. Growth and technology are pretty old.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to retain talent.

Software Engineer

Member Technical Staff, Software (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsNetApp is a good company. It has great culture, and good life-work balance. The working environment is friendly, and some of the engineers even have their own offices.

ConsIt does not have any real innovations any more.
    It used to have many smart engineers working on building cool products. Now many of those engineers left the company, and the product it delivers always behind the market.

Advice to Senior ManagementNetApp need a new innovation to catch up with the current cloud market. If wafl cannot do it, build a new file system.

Feels good to be contributing to a storage leader

Member Technical Staff, Software (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsWork life balance, Culture, product itself.

ConsCould encourage personal growth of the employees. Not that they don't. But, they could do more.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease keep up the good work

Great place; poor timing

Program Manager (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsCompany culture is its greatest strength. Great people doing great things are a joy to work with.

ConsWhile it was refteshing to work a realistic expectation given the many tasks on nearly everyone's plate, there were times when I wasn't sure that the folks knew what they were capable of accomplishing.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your focus on culture while keeping the innovation level at or above where it is.

Great culture, good product

Software Engineer II (Current Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsWork with smart passionate people. Company is committed to customer success. Opportunities to work on on your own ideas, with support of management.

ConsBenefits lag comparable companies in the industry. Not much transparency into what the overall strategy is from upper level management. Management needs to take more risks and diversify the company through investments, M&A

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more informative about strategy,

Best place to work? Are you kidding me?

Senior Engineer (Former Employee) Sunnyvale, CA

ProsThere are no pros that I can think of...

ConsPolitics everywhere... spreading like a cancer.... Get out while you can... I did.

Advice to Senior ManagementRetire and hire new leadership... Georgean is a joke. Employees only hear him once a quarter and emails about layoffs and best place work survey... What a joke.

Worked for NetApp? Contribute to the Community!