NetApp Reviews in Sunnyvale, CA

3.7
1,109 Reviews

NetApp President & CEO Tom Georgens
Tom Georgens

Pros
  • Good work life balance is the only thing that might keep an employee here (in 115 reviews)

• NetApp has been on the Fortune magazine's "great place to work" list for 12 years in a row (in 74 reviews)

Cons
  • The manager sets the tone for the group in terms of culture and work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Stagnation at middle management layer; Alignment issues at senior management layer (in 39 reviews)

More Highlights

342 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Summer Internship program was great!

Former Employee - Marketing Intern  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Intern in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at NetApp as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great culture, benefits, campus, perks. My summer internship there was both a great learning experience and enjoyable. Even as an intern I felt like I was making an impact.

Cons

Hard to think of many, but because of the smaller size of the company they expect a lot out of their employees.

Great place to work, a little behind the times.

Former Employee - Consulting Systems Engineer  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Consulting Systems Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at NetApp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people, everyone is "Drinking the Cool-Aid." People are proud of the company.

Cons

No pay increase after 3 years. No clear career path.

Innovate, keep working on good management tools. Expand portfolio.

Good

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff QA  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff QA in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good place to work, challenging work

Cons

My particular project had a screwed up management line - otherwise its not too bad.

Please evaluate a managerial candidate thoroughly before unleashing them on employees.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company and fun to work for

Former Employee - Financial Analyst  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at NetApp full-time for more than a year

Pros

Company culture was a plus and you could always go to management for help whenever you needed it

Cons

Large company that serviced the Bay Area, I wish they would have had a bus to help employees out with transportation costs

Solid legal internship experience with opportunities for growth.

Current Employee - Legal Intern  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Legal Intern in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp as an intern for less than a year

Pros

- Managers are eager to give interns substantive work while entrusting them with authority to set their own deadlines and to meet with engineers/managers/analysts outside the legal department.
    - Interns invited to sit in on meetings, whether they be interdepartmental updates or strategy sessions with outside counsel.
    - Multiple events throughout the summer to get interns face time with the executive team, as well as with other attorneys and legal interns in Silicon Valley.

Cons

- Too many general intern events that do not necessarily meet the needs and interests of everybody in the intern class.

Provide more opportunities for legal interns to learn about the company's business interests, as opposed to disparate legal issues.

NetApp has truly earned its title of a great place to work.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp part-time for less than a year

Pros

Almost everyone is friendly and willing to help you when you need it. Today's trend of "teaming" in the workplace is very visible in NetApp. The company takes their culture to a new level, and takes it seriously: the management and employees truly work for integrity, leadership, and synergy, while keeping a focus on getting things done. The pay is generous and there are many on-campus benefits that are fun to take part in: Beer Bashes, Employee Appreciation Week, friendly competitions at the gym, Executive Chef Day at the cafe, free fruit and bagels every week.... The list goes on and on.

Cons

Only struggle I've faced during my time at NetApp is that some of my projects are hindered by politics in management: Stupid things like failure to escalate an issue or lack of collaboration because of pride. Overall, this doesn't happen very often, and it's something you'll run into at any company.

Please continue encouraging employees to collaborate cross-team: The catalysts for success is a step in the right direction, but more work needs to be done in this area.

Great place to intern and start a career.

Current Employee - Business Analyst Intern  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst Intern in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp as an intern for less than a year

Pros

1. Great culture. Everyone is very friendly and goes out of their way to help.
    2. My has been fantastic at both making me feel welcome and giving me great opportunities to display my talents.
    3. Have had increasing responsibilities--all I have had to do is ask.
    4. Fun monthly events.
    5. Lots of opportunities to volunteer at local charities, and NetApp offers 40 hours per year of paid time off for volunteer work.
    6. Good salary and benefits.
    7. Great work/life balance.

Cons

1. You need to be proactive. If you do not ask and follow up, people will forget about you.
    2. Global teams sometimes means odd hours.
    3. Lots of consensus building means slower decisions.

Keep doing what you are doing, and investing in interns and new employees.

Awesome Internship program!

Former Employee - Enclosure Firmware  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Enclosure Firmware in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at NetApp as an intern for less than a year

Pros

The projects for the internship were very well laid out. They had objectives which could be achieved in the allocated time. My manager and mentor were continuously there to guide at every stage of the project. The HR department did a great job right from scheduling my first interview to organizing various on site and off site intern events. I had opted for corporate housing. The housing provided was very comfortable and in a very nice community.

I was given an opportunity to present the projects in the staff meeting which helped me develop confidence on the subject matter and enhance my presentation skills. It served a great practice for my showcase. The showcase helped me to interact with people from various departments in NetApp.

To summarize, the summer internship here has not only given me many technical learnings but also has helped me develop skills on working in a group and presenting and discussing ideas in front of an audience.

Cons

The only thing which is not a complaint but just a suggestion is: As many interns are relocating it would be nice to provide some facility for commuting every day. for eg: a daily pass of the VTA.

The internship program had a speaker series where the company executives came and spoke to us. It was informative to listen to them share their ideas and experiences.

Great people to work with and pays well

Current Employee - IT Manager  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people, nice compensation, strong leadership, emphasize on culture and values in every leadership conversation

Cons

Company Growth rate is slow ; Lack of strong leadership in some units

OK, but losing its sheen rapidly!

Current Employee - MTS4  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - MTS4 in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

1. Generally good work-life balance.
    2. Lots to do if you are motivated and supported.

Cons

1. No clear owner for projects and releases.
    2. Too many forced shutdowns take away all your vacation days.
    3. Resistance to work on innovative products and technologies.
    4. Lot of politics at higher level, both technical and managerial.

1. Stop GPTW propaganda and start free food, adopt new technologies.
    2. Think outside the storage box, consider doing meaningful stuff for cloud and Big data!
    3. Audit your org structure and remove unnecessary PMs and middle mgmt with their own agendas.

Worked for NetApp? Contribute to the Community!