NetApp Reviews in Sunnyvale, CA

3.7
1,096 Reviews

NetApp President & CEO Tom Georgens
Tom Georgens

Pros
  • Good work life balance is the only thing that might keep an employee here (in 115 reviews)

• NetApp has been on the Fortune magazine's "great place to work" list for 12 years in a row (in 74 reviews)

Cons
  • The manager sets the tone for the group in terms of culture and work/life balance (in 25 reviews)

• Stagnation at middle management layer; Alignment issues at senior management layer (in 39 reviews)

More Highlights

339 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Summer Intern

Former Employee - Intern  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Intern in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at NetApp as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Great culture here directly related to the great people - everyone was nice and upbeat. I was given responsibility and accountability for meaningful projects that made a difference. Entrepreneurial spirit is still strong here for such a large company. You are expected to work hard and get your work done, but you have control over your own methods. Everyone was helpful across the departments I got to work with. I truly get the sense the company cares about its employees, and at least once a month there was something cool going on around the work campus for employees.

Cons

I entered knowing little about data storage solutions technology - which can be an area that is difficult to learn up on. Still, NetApp has great internal training and knowledge management which helped me learn the basics of the technology quickly. Biggest con is that I can't stay and keep working for NetApp full time!

Consider hiring specialized corporate level positions straight out of grad school (legal/corp. dev./management). It might invigorate even more those interns who currently know they can't be hired straight out of school. I know it's not standard procedure in the industry, but you may be able to capture real talent early on and at an entry-level cost.

Great people to work with and pays well

Current Employee - IT Manager  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people, nice compensation, strong leadership, emphasize on culture and values in every leadership conversation

Cons

Company Growth rate is slow ; Lack of strong leadership in some units

Innovative Legal department with supportive management.

Former Employee - Legal Intern  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Legal Intern in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at NetApp as an intern for less than a year

Pros

-Large intern class makes in-house internship less lonely that at similar-sized companies.
    -Management is invested in the success of interns, happy to get legal interns in front of law firm contacts.
    -Substantive projects and responsibility come early and often.
    -The Legal department is very well networked and positioned in the Valley

Cons

-The corporate intern program tries a little too hard at times to be cool

Consider offering some projects to the legal intern class to work on as a group, which cut across the practice areas.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent. Just can't be more better

Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff QA  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Member of Technical Staff QA in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at NetApp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work-Life balance, Great Gym, Great testing and automation tools, everyone is polite and professional, lot of facilities, lot of parking and great product too.

Cons

No free food, no commuter benefits, Apple devices and gadgets are not given to all the employees, Gym is not opened 7 days a week.

Have less number of managers.

Internship Experience

Former Employee - ITQ2O Process  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - ITQ2O Process in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at NetApp as an intern for less than a year

Pros

NetApp has an unparalleled work environment, with welcoming employees who care about your personal development. Managers assigned me to challenging projects, but always put me into a position to succeed and offered assistance. Fantastic place to gain corporate experience, with name and brand recognition that jumps out on a resume.

Cons

Watch out for the cloud!

Keep it up

Overall a great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

If you are looking for a highly collaborative environment with opportunity to work hard and make an impact, then this is your place.

Cons

With high collaboration, comes the inability to make swift decisions. NetApp is a great place to work but has its internal pains around employee retention, lack of career development and cross-collaboration within certain business units.

Slow, Old, Outdated -- Not good for youngsters -- Good for Retirement

Current Employee - Member Technical Staff, Software  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Member Technical Staff, Software in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp full-time for more than a year

Pros

Apparently they have a good work life balance which amounts to not doing much work.
    They have a garage,gym and beer bashes in the Sunnyvale offices

Cons

Management says No to any new projects/challenges
    As a young software engineer you want to write more code, make more changes, break things,fix them, learn ... these things don't happen at NetApp

Pay is sub par. Really it just sucks to be a NetApp employee in terms of $$$.

Fake Emphasis given on Great Place to Work rankings(who cares about this ?). Pay your employees handsomely, ask them to deliver, give them real work, challenge your employees -- you will automatically have a great place to work.

Zero or fake or virtual guidance given on growing new talent.Personal development at work is a myth. I guess NetApp doesn't care about having a good ratio of experienced to young employees.

Focus on real innovation, emphasize on new technology. Make an effort to ship products with fancy features.

Time to Market is Key, be on par with the start ups out there. NetApp can beat every start up if it decides to wake up. Drive more research. Focus on shipping research and prototypes as quickly as possible to customers. If the driver isn't there write it, take risks.

Great Company Bad Middle Management

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at NetApp full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great company to work for if your in the right department. The culture is not what it use to be but it still good. Work-life balance is great again depending on the department. A lot of good people to work with. Good Benefits!

Cons

The company has moved away from what made it great. For example Business Operations lacks true leadership. Fear used as a tool to get things done. Is more worried about covering up problems than actually fixing them. Some management is quick put a target on your back if your not inline with them. Yes, even if your proactive, solving problems, and good at what you do.

Needs to go back to what made NetApp great. Get things done without the BS. If it broken let be known and find a way to fix the problem, stop putting lip stick on a pig.

Great place to work for

Former Employee - Systems Engineer  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Former Employee - Systems Engineer in Sunnyvale, CA

I worked at NetApp full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

all good, culture good, salary good, people great

Cons

layoff, layoff, all to frequent

Allow people to feel comfortable giving their input

Very good place to work.

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff III  in  Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff III in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at NetApp full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good value for hard work and you are recognized well

Cons

I don't see any cons as of now

Worked for NetApp? Contribute to the Community!