NetBrain Technologies Reviews

Reset
3.3
NetBrain Technologies Chairman & CEO Lingping Gao
Lingping Gao

1. Fantastic Place to Work, Brilliant Marketing Team!

Current Employee - Digital Marketing Manager in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Digital Marketing Manager in Burlington, MA

I have been working at NetBrain Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am the only Digital Marketing Manager at NetBrain and the review published on 06/26/2015 was NOT written by me.

Product: NetBrain has a solid product. I have been to trade shows and manage company’s social media accounts. I am able to see customer reaction every day.

The CEO: I would have not accepted the offer to work here if it was not for him. He challenged me with ambitious goals and allowed me to work autonomously. He is intelligent, passionate and extremely accessible.

Marketing: We have a strong marketing team at NetBrain. Our last month’s website traffic is 4.5x of what we had in Jan 2013 when I joined the company. We have 32,000 Facebook fans and 5,700 Twitter followers. Our peers with 10x customer base and revenues are far behind NetBrain on social media. We've been to more trade shows this year and have more than doubled the leads generated last year.

Sales: We are hiring a lot of sales reps and leaders. I have had the chance to work with our new VPs. They look like great hires. A company recruiter told me that our newer sales staff is more experienced.

Company: We have nice and talented people at NetBrain. I enjoy working here. You will get noticed and rewarded for your hard work (and the lack of it). NetBrain offers plenty of growth opportunities. I have passed on opportunities at the top west coast tech companies to work at NetBrain.

Cons

The company definitely has some growing pains. I don't think that there are any major issues that should discourage you from applying to NetBrain. If you have specific questions, feel free to comment here or contact me on LinkedIn.

Advice to Management

The management is extremely accessible and approachable. I'd give them feedback in person and not on public forums.

Awesome Cutting-edge Technologies

I have been working at NetBrain Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People in company are all very friendly and helpful. The development and requirement team always like to combine the most current and high-level knowledge with industrial demand . If you are looking for an opportunity to transfer cutting-edge theory or technology into a real awesome production, this is definitely your dream company.

Cons

company is growing fast, sometime you need to find a way to juggle the demands of your job and the rest of your life.

Advice to Management

Keep Improving company culture when focusing on production and technologies

Apr 17, 2015Sr. Recruiter

Thank you for writing. We will do our best to move the culture needle forward.

Great company with a lot of room for growth.

I have been working at NetBrain Technologies

Pros

Smart colleagues who bring lots of practical experience to the table. There is a lot of room for growth, especially for someone who is willing to go the extra mile. Lunch is bought for the whole office every Friday. HR has been very helpful and is always there to answer any questions or give advice if you need it. Beautiful new building/campus. Exciting to a part of a transforming company.

Cons

Normal growing pains associated with a company growing quickly. There can be a language barrier at times as some employees are still learning English, but there is always someone there to interpret if need be. All you need is a little patience.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! I know it isn't easy but you guys are doing your best and don't think it goes unnoticed. This type of transformation doesn't happen over night and I'm very excited for the future. Our best days are ahead of us!

Worst company to work in sales

Former Employee - Account Executive in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Burlington, MA

I worked at NetBrain Technologies full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Just one it was near to my place otherwise none.
    I wish I could give half star to this company.

Cons

I worked in netbrain for 3 months. Let me tell you it's a hell hole, during the interview process you are told that it's a growing company and you will make money in no time. Let me tell you the fact, no you cannot make money in this company. All the employees who are in this company for more than four years takes all the big accounts and you get the leftovers. They don't have any rules or guidelines when it comes to sales. If you start working on a big account into the process you will realize that somebody else has started working on it. There are so many other things this was just the beginning, their benefits sucks and you cannot work from home in case you are sick or have an emergency you have to put in time. Please do not join this company if you really want to make money.

Dec 16, 2014Global Head of HR

Regarding the comments surrounding sales: Our company is rapidly growing and evolving and so too are our processes across all functions within the company. We recognize the challenges that come with ... More

Beware! Limited scope product, poor executive management, mediocre benefits!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

I worked at NetBrain Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free snacks at lunch are nice.

Cons

The below comments represent my opinion, and are grounded by my experiences as a NetBrain full time employee. Please be advised that some of the other comments seen here on Glassdoor about NetBrain are authored by the companies executive leadership, and are intended to offset the negativity.

Leadership: Every minute operation of this company is run by the CEO. This is not dramatic prose from an ill-tempered former employee. Banner ads for websites, sales pitches, choice of computers for employees, travel arrangements, even the snack selection for the employee break area. Yes...everything. Go against the CEO's wishes? You will assuredly be shamed for your intentions and in some cases, publicly. The turnover rate is ridiculously high save a select few of the Chinese employees who have stuck with the CEO for some time. During my time at NetBrain, two of the CEO's direct reports left the company (one having only been there a few months), the HR Director, the recruiting team, and 1/4 of the marketing team. Back to the CEO, who is at the epicenter of why NetBrain has such a poor working environment -> The CEO has a bit over 4 years of practical networking experience, from the late 90's to early 2K's. He was a mid-level network engineer at the financial services department of Thomson Reuters. During the new employee training, he explained he was the "Chief Architect" at the "largest financial services company in the world". Hmmmm, not so much. The CEO has no formal managerial experience at any level; instead, he reads leadership epitaphs from global business leaders, siphons out nuggets of wisdom, and then perverts them into NetBrain company goals. Examples are "only manage what you can measure" or "in the end there is only the CEO" from the likes of Iacocca, Welch, Sun-Tzu, and others. Often these nuggets manifest themselves into cockamamie performance metrics or marketing touch points that provide no actionable information with which to guide the company. When challenged by any employee, the CEO professes his deep networking knowledge (4 yrs, ten yrs ago) or keen managerial expertise (no experience whatsoever) to supplant his point of view and then deride the unlucky soul who has a good idea.

Competition: The product has few direct competitors but to say the technology behind it is "unparalleled", is asinine. Several companies have parallel technologies in similar product suites that rival or best NetBrain. However, NetBrain is unique in that it combines a few select components into a single platform.

Profitability: The company is very profitable because the product preys on a weakness of every engineer...documentation. According to previous employees, the CEO has been touting "pre-IPO" status for the last 4 years. The company may well go public, and it is for this reason alone that some have endured the work environment. Keep in mind though that stock options are NOT given to the rank and file of the company. So if you dream of getting rich at NetBrain, prepare for some serious contract negotiations. The company recently received a LARGE investment from a VC firm in MA. Largest firm in the country? Hardly. Not even the largest in MA. During my tenure, a climate survey was never conducted, and employees were forbidden from engaging the VC firm until negotiations were complete. The CEO made it clear that employees should feel "comfortable" that he did not allow the VC firm to take any terminal control of the company and that he will still be in charge post-investment. Ok.

Culture: Simple...fear. The teams that enjoy isolation from the CEO's petulant, myopic arrogance (only the sales team) are in relatively good spirits. The other teams (engineering, marketing, HR, etc) do not enjoy such isolation. Because the CEO believes he possesses knowledge in these areas, they are run with almost tyrannical oversight. Employees carry a general sense of malaise and while some of the leadership attempts morale boosting activities, it is usually shot down as being too expensive or a waste of money. Senior management is enthusiastic? True and false. When not being chastised for independent thought or reprimanded for something the CEO knows nothing about, then yes, senior management is generally energetic and enthusiastic. New employees are told flatly by the CEO during their new employee training, "work hard and don't complain".

Ethics: In my opinion, the companies ethical boundaries lie somewhere between a patent troll and a professional con-artist. From artificially injecting positive reviews here on GlassDoor, to coaching executives with what they are supposed to say to potential investment firms, nothing is out of bounds. Keep in mind I was fairly low on the totem pole, so the fact that I was able to observe this first hand is quite ridiculous. Sales and sales engineering teams are coached directly by the CEO to overcome customer objections with empty promises of product functionality. Because the level three support team is 90% based in China, customers who do decide to challenge these guarantees submitted during the pre-sales process find it VERY difficult to find resolution post-sale.

Compensation: Mediocre. Again, the CEO's expertise is >10 years old but he still considers his metrics for employee compensation to be relevant. He alone controls ALL salaries in the company. The CEO interviews ALL employees (even the interns) and usually hires younger talent willing to work for much less.

Benefits: No 401(k) match, 10 days of vacation time strictly enforced, work from home is HEAVILY scrutinized, 30 minute lunch breaks. Healthcare is commensurate with other small companies in the area. The company will sell you on flexible work hours during inclement weather but be prepared to have to justify (and then be scrutinized) all of your decisions, even if your own manager has approved.

Product: The product is heavily Cisco centric because the CEO wholeheartedly believes Cisco owns >90% of the market share in network equipment. He even put this claim into his own employee training presentations. In his defense though, consider the last time he had domain experience in the field was over ten years ago :-). NetBrain is uniquely beneficial to the small/mid size companies who lack solid network documentation (diagrams, slides, maps, etc) and also do not possess deep troubleshooting expertise. That is not to say the product is not benefical to large companies, but usually larger companies have a wide assortment of vendors with very complex network topologies. NetBrains value decreases exponentially with the increase in a large networks complexity. Simply put, the tool has not matured enough to keep up with the constant innovation in this space. The CEO likes to tout "full multi vendor support" for a variety of vendors or "amazing adaptability to your environment" but the truth is, it is simply not there. Out-year software maintenance is frequently highlighted as a challenge for the sales team.

Jan 6, 2015Global Head of HR

The following is an update as to where the company stands on some of the higher level items that are noted in the review:

Leadership - We made significant progress in Q4-14 hiring several key
    ... More

7. Fast-Paced, Evolving, and Exciting Business

Current Employee - Marketing in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Burlington, MA

I have been working at NetBrain Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The technology behind the product is unparalleled and constantly improving. With it, the business is growing by leaps and bounds. Confidence in the company's growth has been bolstered by a recent infusion from the largest VC in the country. Having the opportunity to grow with a company and be part of the transition from startup towards IPO isn't an opportunity many people will have in their careers.

The employees are great to work with and the senior management is passionate, energetic, and enthusiastic - traits which are contagious. As the company grows, so do opportunities. Hard work and results are appreciated and rewarded.

Cons

With a fast-paced company and constant change comes ever-shifting priorities on various projects. Sometimes it's difficult to perfect a project as it can be dropped for another priority. This can affect morale and sense of accomplishment.

Advice to Management

Define clear goals and trust in your leadership team to execute and achieve them, while fostering open communication and constructive feedback.

Jan 6, 2015Global Head of HR

Thank you for the review.

Joined with high expectations, left disappointed.

Former Employee - Marketing in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Burlington, MA

I worked at NetBrain Technologies full-time

Pros

Unique technology that had few direct competitors, U.S. based employees were all great and were willing to help in any way they could.

Cons

CEO doesn't listen to anyone and was not open to suggestions (we already tried that and it didn't work attitude), little to no funds were spent on marketing efforts (except for Cisco Live), extremely limited benefits, management was paranoid about employee loyalty (was asked if I was a spy for my previous employer when I left), minimal resources to do your job with and expectations that you can do it anyways and then had to justify everything you were doing. Some of it may have been cultural, losing face etc.. but the difference in how U.S. employees were treated vs Chinese employees was apparent and highly discourteous. If you don't tow the line, you are out the door. They have gone through 4 marketing people since 2010.

Advice to Management

Improve benefits package, treat U.S. employees with more respect, CEO needs to be more receptive to suggestions and alternative perspectives, listen to the people you hire for their expertise (you wouldn't have hired them in the first place if they were not experts)! Ideally, the CEO should move into a role that is more technical and a CEO that has the business acumen to realize the potential of the company and technology should be brought in.

May 14, 2014VP Operations

We treat all employees equally here at NetBrain. Benefits include health, dental, vision insurances, holiday, vacation, personal days and 401K. NetBrain pays 100% for employee's health insurance ... More

9. Awesome Team! Great Product!

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Executive in Burlington, MA

I have been working at NetBrain Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good company culture overall. Excellent compensation for sales people. No cap on commissions.

Cons

They offer free lunch on Fridays. It would be nice to get free lunch everyday.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the review.

Stressful, no scope to learn, unprofessional management.

I have been working at NetBrain Technologies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free lunch Fridays. Good product. Friendly Colleagues.

Cons

Stressful schedule, no scope to learn. Work-Life imbalance. Job description may not match what you would end up doing. Unprofessional management. Poor internal communication. No career growth.

Advice to Management

Hire the right people for right jobs. Recognize the contributions of all employees.

Growing company

I have been working at NetBrain Technologies full-time

Pros

Products with great acceptance in the industry. Nice coworkers. A lot of open positions. Company is growing.

Cons

Not a lot of rules, but this can be good at times.

RSS Feed </> Embed