NetBrain Technologies Reviews

NetBrain Technologies Chairman & CEO Lingping Gao
Lingping Gao

1. Awesome Cutting-edge Technologies

I have been working at NetBrain Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

People in company are all very friendly and helpful. The development and requirement team always like to combine the most current and high-level knowledge with industrial demand . If you are looking for an opportunity to transfer cutting-edge theory or technology into a real awesome production, this is definitely your dream company.

Cons

company is growing fast, sometime you need to find a way to juggle the demands of your job and the rest of your life.

Advice to Management

Keep Improving company culture when focusing on production and technologies

Apr 17, 2015Sr. Recruiter

Thank you for writing. We will do our best to move the culture needle forward.

Great company with a lot of room for growth.

I have been working at NetBrain Technologies

Pros

Smart colleagues who bring lots of practical experience to the table. There is a lot of room for growth, especially for someone who is willing to go the extra mile. Lunch is bought for the whole office every Friday. HR has been very helpful and is always there to answer any questions or give advice if you need it. Beautiful new building/campus. Exciting to a part of a transforming company.

Cons

Normal growing pains associated with a company growing quickly. There can be a language barrier at times as some employees are still learning English, but there is always someone there to interpret if need be. All you need is a little patience.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! I know it isn't easy but you guys are doing your best and don't think it goes unnoticed. This type of transformation doesn't happen over night and I'm very excited for the future. Our best days are ahead of us!

3. Fast-growing company

I have been working at NetBrain Technologies

Pros

Unique product and cool technology.
    Great people to work with.
    Free Friday lunch and snacks.

Cons

A lot of changes. Some growing pains.

Advice to Management

More training. More trust.

Sales Is a Joke - Don't Even Think About It

I worked at NetBrain Technologies

Pros

Totally over priced software. Good people that are struggling to make ends meet and all try to figure out this bizarre company, its decisions and it's Leadership.

Cons

Advice to prospects: They will mislead you and be disingenuous during the interview process. Do your due diligence and ask many many questions. Ask for booking numbers for each sales rep and ask when they started employment. Ask to see the numbers, they ask to see your W-2. Ask to speak to several reps during your interview.

Sales has "exceeded annual number" for 2014 is deceptive. That does not mean reps are exceeding yearly quota. Having 60% of reps over achieving is a difinitive sign that most are not near their OTE. They exceeded their number due to one multi million dollar deal that took 3 yrs to close. Ask to speak to a new rep and ask about OTE. You will be shocked. Reality vs. truth.

Ask about the marketing "department" and ask how leads are generated for the sales team. There is none! Reps are required to "prospect" for 4 hours a week during phone blitzes. You're a sales professional trying to close business, not dial for dollars or prospect. That is the work for BDR's and marketing. Growing pains? All I hear and read about is growing pains. Growing pains develop during years 1-3. This is a ten year old company.

Is management up your behind micro managing? Ask how many metric meetings per week? Not "collaborative discussions to problem solve", but metric meetings. Every day you'll be in a meeting for an hour, treated like a rookie BDR rep with a high school diploma. Cumulatively you will spend a full day (8 hrs) per week in metric meetings. Productive.

You need approval to simply extend a prospects evaluation. Time is the most difficult challenge IT professionals face today and they're evaluating many solutions - to have to call a prospect back with an approval for a trial extension is severely detrimental to the sales cycle progression and shows their is zero trust in the AE's judgement.

Ask about benefits for a family. Employee is free, but what about a family? If you have kids or plan to have them, it is most definitely not free nor competitive. If the Company thinks $8K out of pocket is competitive for a family then something is wrong. Spoke to a Blue Cross rep and confirmed this number to be accurate. Deduct this out of pocket expense from your base.

Plan to pay bills on your base salary (minus health care premiums and deductibles for families) for the first year. There is no equity offered for sales, just management. Ask for it. Ask questions and ask to speak with sales reps on the floor, not just the folks interviewing you. They tend to leave out information, stretch the truth, and spin answers in their favor. Lies and deceit do not fair well with anybody. Contract recruiters don't care about you, they care about placements so take their answers with a grain of salt.

Advice to Management

Be honest with candidates - to date, you have not with several current and former employees. Ask them if they received the "real deal" during their interview process and now despise coming to work.

Most everyone in management is new and trying to cover their own behinds, but ask yourself if you would like to be "misled" during your interview process while thinking you're making a better move for you and your family.

Don't ask Glassdoor to delete negative posts....it's a poor reflection on the company. When HR is told of the above concerns you might be told to "put on your big boy pants" . Incomprehensible behavior and speaks volumes as to the character of the company and its Leadership. Not only disrespectful, but completely unprofessional. Put on your big boy pants if you can't handle the negativity and reality of your company. You hired "X" amount of employees last year, yadda yadda.., How many are happy? I know for a fact, not many.

Mar 3, 2015Global Head of HR

Here is a response to the items you mentioned:

Product - The product (its features, functionality, quality and competitive position) are one of our key advantages.

Marketing - Our Marketing
    ... More

Review

I have been working at NetBrain Technologies

Pros

$40 mil in PE funding. Solid product; one that every mid to larger size company will want for their IT Department. Benefits have changed 4 times since I have been here. All for the better. The company is no longer a small company, but one growing to mid size and eventually going IPO. Lots of changes, process improvements, recent move to a new facility, new management,etc. All for the good. People are great, multicultural. Respectful.

Cons

With all of the changes, comes changes. Still a small company that is showing the growing pains. Suggestions are always welcomed.

Advice to Management

Follow up to change suggestions in a timely fashion. Management training for the higher level.

Jan 13, 2015Global Head of HR

Thanks for the review and suggestions.

Technology company with a bright future

I have been working at NetBrain Technologies full-time

Pros

The core development group has been performing miracles. The team worked very hard to understand the nature of network engineer’s daily work. The product is designed to meeting the core need for network administration, automation, and troubleshooting. NetBrain’s innovative technology positioned it as the clear leader, and is beyond compare.

In working with the core technology team, I had the opportunity to know CEO. He is a very kind and sincere person and lead by example. He is insightful, purpose driven, yet a very humble person. This is a clear big advantage to a technology company: CEO is a genius in the network engineering field and is a genius on technology overall. He is using his expertise to cruise the ship to the right direction.

In my personal view, the combination of a team of very gifted network engineers, the cutting edge technology, and the vision of the senior leaders well positioned the company to be one of the star high-tech companies in the area.

The nimble management of business activities is very efficient. Many of the huge companies are too large to be efficient. Instead, the NB team gets on to the core points instantly, and is every effective in executing the core mission.

The company respects employees as individual contributors. In the team where I worked, everyone are encouraged to speak out their views. Consequently, the debate has always been very active, and the final design has the blend of all individual contributor’s ideas. I see clear synergy.

Snack is ordered, so tired employees can find their favored snack in the ‘treasure island’ and rejuvenate themselves. Lunch is ordered every Friday for all employees.

The office environment is gorgeous. I have worked in companies inside the city, where space has always been an issue. At NetBrain, the offices are spacious, and are totally renovated. If you enjoy windows views and open spaces, you will like the NetBrain Offices.

I cannot speak for other team. However among the teams whom I have chance to work with, I only see hard working sincere and very capable professionals.

Cons

The company is predictably to go IPO. While exciting, you can foretell there is lots of work ahead of each of the core teams. Workload can be heavy within certain functional area. Good thing is, the company is hiring more smart people to ensure everyone’s work and life balance.

Cool Technology

I have been working at NetBrain Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Cool Technology, great people. Great camaraderie across the teams. They got $40M in vc last year and they are hiring like crazy and building out some sweet space. There truly is a work life balance here. I know is was bumpy in the past but I believe they are hiring smart people to right the ship.

Cons

They are in Burlington on Rte 128.

Advice to Management

Empower your managers to make decisions.

Thank you for the review.

Worst company to work in sales

Former Employee - Account Executive in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Burlington, MA

I worked at NetBrain Technologies full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Just one it was near to my place otherwise none.
    I wish I could give half star to this company.

Cons

I worked in netbrain for 3 months. Let me tell you it's a hell hole, during the interview process you are told that it's a growing company and you will make money in no time. Let me tell you the fact, no you cannot make money in this company. All the employees who are in this company for more than four years takes all the big accounts and you get the leftovers. They don't have any rules or guidelines when it comes to sales. If you start working on a big account into the process you will realize that somebody else has started working on it. There are so many other things this was just the beginning, their benefits sucks and you cannot work from home in case you are sick or have an emergency you have to put in time. Please do not join this company if you really want to make money.

Dec 16, 2014Global Head of HR

Regarding the comments surrounding sales: Our company is rapidly growing and evolving and so too are our processes across all functions within the company. We recognize the challenges that come with ... More

Beware! Limited scope product, poor executive management, mediocre benefits!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

I worked at NetBrain Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Free snacks at lunch are nice.

Cons

The below comments represent my opinion, and are grounded by my experiences as a NetBrain full time employee. Please be advised that some of the other comments seen here on Glassdoor about NetBrain are authored by the companies executive leadership, and are intended to offset the negativity.

Leadership: Every minute operation of this company is run by the CEO. This is not dramatic prose from an ill-tempered former employee. Banner ads for websites, sales pitches, choice of computers for employees, travel arrangements, even the snack selection for the employee break area. Yes...everything. Go against the CEO's wishes? You will assuredly be shamed for your intentions and in some cases, publicly. The turnover rate is ridiculously high save a select few of the Chinese employees who have stuck with the CEO for some time. During my time at NetBrain, two of the CEO's direct reports left the company (one having only been there a few months), the HR Director, the recruiting team, and 1/4 of the marketing team. Back to the CEO, who is at the epicenter of why NetBrain has such a poor working environment -> The CEO has a bit over 4 years of practical networking experience, from the late 90's to early 2K's. He was a mid-level network engineer at the financial services department of Thomson Reuters. During the new employee training, he explained he was the "Chief Architect" at the "largest financial services company in the world". Hmmmm, not so much. The CEO has no formal managerial experience at any level; instead, he reads leadership epitaphs from global business leaders, siphons out nuggets of wisdom, and then perverts them into NetBrain company goals. Examples are "only manage what you can measure" or "in the end there is only the CEO" from the likes of Iacocca, Welch, Sun-Tzu, and others. Often these nuggets manifest themselves into cockamamie performance metrics or marketing touch points that provide no actionable information with which to guide the company. When challenged by any employee, the CEO professes his deep networking knowledge (4 yrs, ten yrs ago) or keen managerial expertise (no experience whatsoever) to supplant his point of view and then deride the unlucky soul who has a good idea.

Competition: The product has few direct competitors but to say the technology behind it is "unparalleled", is asinine. Several companies have parallel technologies in similar product suites that rival or best NetBrain. However, NetBrain is unique in that it combines a few select components into a single platform.

Profitability: The company is very profitable because the product preys on a weakness of every engineer...documentation. According to previous employees, the CEO has been touting "pre-IPO" status for the last 4 years. The company may well go public, and it is for this reason alone that some have endured the work environment. Keep in mind though that stock options are NOT given to the rank and file of the company. So if you dream of getting rich at NetBrain, prepare for some serious contract negotiations. The company recently received a LARGE investment from a VC firm in MA. Largest firm in the country? Hardly. Not even the largest in MA. During my tenure, a climate survey was never conducted, and employees were forbidden from engaging the VC firm until negotiations were complete. The CEO made it clear that employees should feel "comfortable" that he did not allow the VC firm to take any terminal control of the company and that he will still be in charge post-investment. Ok.

Culture: Simple...fear. The teams that enjoy isolation from the CEO's petulant, myopic arrogance (only the sales team) are in relatively good spirits. The other teams (engineering, marketing, HR, etc) do not enjoy such isolation. Because the CEO believes he possesses knowledge in these areas, they are run with almost tyrannical oversight. Employees carry a general sense of malaise and while some of the leadership attempts morale boosting activities, it is usually shot down as being too expensive or a waste of money. Senior management is enthusiastic? True and false. When not being chastised for independent thought or reprimanded for something the CEO knows nothing about, then yes, senior management is generally energetic and enthusiastic. New employees are told flatly by the CEO during their new employee training, "work hard and don't complain".

Ethics: In my opinion, the companies ethical boundaries lie somewhere between a patent troll and a professional con-artist. From artificially injecting positive reviews here on GlassDoor, to coaching executives with what they are supposed to say to potential investment firms, nothing is out of bounds. Keep in mind I was fairly low on the totem pole, so the fact that I was able to observe this first hand is quite ridiculous. Sales and sales engineering teams are coached directly by the CEO to overcome customer objections with empty promises of product functionality. Because the level three support team is 90% based in China, customers who do decide to challenge these guarantees submitted during the pre-sales process find it VERY difficult to find resolution post-sale.

Compensation: Mediocre. Again, the CEO's expertise is >10 years old but he still considers his metrics for employee compensation to be relevant. He alone controls ALL salaries in the company. The CEO interviews ALL employees (even the interns) and usually hires younger talent willing to work for much less.

Benefits: No 401(k) match, 10 days of vacation time strictly enforced, work from home is HEAVILY scrutinized, 30 minute lunch breaks. Healthcare is commensurate with other small companies in the area. The company will sell you on flexible work hours during inclement weather but be prepared to have to justify (and then be scrutinized) all of your decisions, even if your own manager has approved.

Product: The product is heavily Cisco centric because the CEO wholeheartedly believes Cisco owns >90% of the market share in network equipment. He even put this claim into his own employee training presentations. In his defense though, consider the last time he had domain experience in the field was over ten years ago :-). NetBrain is uniquely beneficial to the small/mid size companies who lack solid network documentation (diagrams, slides, maps, etc) and also do not possess deep troubleshooting expertise. That is not to say the product is not benefical to large companies, but usually larger companies have a wide assortment of vendors with very complex network topologies. NetBrains value decreases exponentially with the increase in a large networks complexity. Simply put, the tool has not matured enough to keep up with the constant innovation in this space. The CEO likes to tout "full multi vendor support" for a variety of vendors or "amazing adaptability to your environment" but the truth is, it is simply not there. Out-year software maintenance is frequently highlighted as a challenge for the sales team.

Jan 6, 2015Global Head of HR

The following is an update as to where the company stands on some of the higher level items that are noted in the review:

Leadership - We made significant progress in Q4-14 hiring several key
    ... More

11. Fast-Paced, Evolving, and Exciting Business

Current Employee - Marketing in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing in Burlington, MA

I have been working at NetBrain Technologies full-time (more than a year)

Pros

The technology behind the product is unparalleled and constantly improving. With it, the business is growing by leaps and bounds. Confidence in the company's growth has been bolstered by a recent infusion from the largest VC in the country. Having the opportunity to grow with a company and be part of the transition from startup towards IPO isn't an opportunity many people will have in their careers.

The employees are great to work with and the senior management is passionate, energetic, and enthusiastic - traits which are contagious. As the company grows, so do opportunities. Hard work and results are appreciated and rewarded.

Cons

With a fast-paced company and constant change comes ever-shifting priorities on various projects. Sometimes it's difficult to perfect a project as it can be dropped for another priority. This can affect morale and sense of accomplishment.

Advice to Management

Define clear goals and trust in your leadership team to execute and achieve them, while fostering open communication and constructive feedback.

Jan 6, 2015Global Head of HR