www.netjets.com

Updated December 21, 2014
2.3

NetJets CEO Jordan Hansell
Jordan Hansell

Pros
  • Reputation, a good place to learn from good people, ability to advance if you put time and effort into it (in 6 reviews)

• Great people, industry leader with the best in class product and service, at least for now (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management is incredibly threatened by having smart savvy people who challenge them on their teams (in 7 reviews)

• The flight operations management team (DO, Training Depts) are in over their heads (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Company that has lost its way

Current Employee - Pilot in Columbus, OH

I have been working at NetJets (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great co workers! Nice number of vacations!

Cons

Everything else! Not neg on the level!

Quit

Great people, dynamic company, but I fear the future based on direction chosen by the executive management team

I have been working at NetJets full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

The people are great. The benefits used to the be the best in the industry; they still remain competitive. 15% 401K match is still top notch.

Cons

Strained capacity. Most departments are understaffed with additional headcount nowhere in sight. Mid-level management on down seems good while executive level management doesn't seem to care for the people. Spending is micromanaged, making it difficult to perform the day to day.

Take care of your employees. In a service industry where people make the product, the company's sustainability is in question. More employees (good employees) are leaving than coming. Start listening to employees, feedback, and all available metrics rather than having tunnel vision and focusing solely on the Berkshire return.

An employee should be viewed as a valuable asset rather than a necessary evil which you need to make the lowest bidder.

How has this company become such a train wreck?

Current Employee - Monkey At the Circus in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Monkey At the Circus in Columbus, OH

I have been working at NetJets full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pay, benefits, shiny new planes, and a shiny new building.
    This company at one time was the most fun place that I had ever worked for and the management really cared about the employees (Santulli). Santulli would actually take the lower level employees to lunch/dinner in small groups and he would listen to what they had to say. He was a true leader. Unfortunately he put his trust in the wrong people and had to resign.
    When I started at Netjets, I thought I had found the company I was going to work for until the day I retired. Not really sure about that statement anymore.
    Still a great company, just need the right people to lead it.

Cons

This company had now become a "good ole boy network" People are in positions that they aren't qualified for. You have managers telling the "executive" management team that things are good, when they are really a mess. Employee morale is at an all time low, both union and non-union. Everyone is scared and upper management doesn't seem to really care. I guess that is how things all over the world are being ran, companies like their employees to be in fear every day when they come to work.

All the CEO is doing is blaming the union for how things are going, while taking none of the blame upon himself. The unions have been there for a long time and sales and morale were at all time highs. Now we have a total of 5 union groups out of contract, one group has been out of contract for 4+ years. Most of this could have been avoided.

This isn't just on the union side either, employee morale is just as low on the non-union side, employees are leaving at break neck pace. People with 10+ years at the company taking pay cuts with other companies only because they see the writing on the wall.

This company doesn't value it's employees anymore, they look at long term employees leaving as a way to hire cheaper, inexperienced labor. I'll be amazed if this company survives 5 more years the way it is going.

Netjets is a billion dollar company, start investing some of that money in your people, not just shiny new airplanes and shiny new buildings. The planes only do part of the work. You still need people to get the planes from point A to point B in proper working condition. I understand profit, I want Netjets to be profitable also, but not at the cost of outsourcing to a cheaper company just to save a buck and give up safety.

If we don't have the parts to fix the planes of course it will cost more in labor when you have to spend $300 to get a $0.57 o-ring shipped in by a courier. How in the world do you have a warehouse that has no form of computerized ordering? No bar-coding? Your parts room is broken and we cannot fix planes without the proper tools and parts to do so. Everyday we have to get parts shipped in by courier, and were not talking about big ticket parts. We have work stoppages almost daily due to some $3 bolt or a $0.20 backup ring. But our parts room has parts for planes in inventory that we don't service the airframes anymore.

Lowest moral I've ever seen

I have been working at NetJets full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Vacations and thats about it. There are other good benefits also but everything is under attack by this very greedy management team.

Cons

Support team is almost non-existent nowadays. Push back from maintenance, D.O., chief pilots and assistant chief pilots. It has turned into a true CYA job. Moral in all departments is in the gutter.

They've created a very hostile work environment. I don't think they will accept advice.

Stay Away! Once awesome company heading down the slippery slope

Former Employee - Former Employee in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Former Employee in Columbus, OH

I worked at NetJets full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Largest private aviation company in the industry. Well known in the aviation world. Great company when started management had you back. Family oriented back in the day.

Cons

Very top heavy management. Quality of life and moral is at an all time low. All the experienced employees leaving in droves. Company that leads from behind. Makes decisions without seeking advice from experienced employees. Current leadership willing to compromise quality for quantity. Managers are condescending.

Start caring and listening more to your employees. Remember it's the hardworking people that make this company. Need more staff less managers.

Going to work is like a sharp stick to the eye.

Current Employee - Pilot
    Current Employee - Pilot

I have been working at NetJets full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good people, lots of potential

Cons

Management is awful, culture of fear

Take care of your employees and let the employees take care of the owners. It's a simple concept that is totally lost on management.

It has become worse.

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

I have been working at NetJets full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Co workers that have been here any years. The employees and owners built this company.

Cons

The current management team is destroying what the employees helped build. Management tries to form discintion among the different employee groups.

Not impressed. You should be ashamed of yourselves. Although not unexpected considering the history of our CEO.

Decent place to worn

Current Employee - Anonymous in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Columbus, OH

I have been working at NetJets full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Neat business
    Flexible depending what area you work in
    Good people
    Bonus and profit sharing

Cons

Not much upward mobility
    Raises leave much to be desired
    Work/life balance

Management treats employees as a necessary evil. The Aircraft fleet is plain worn out and mechanically needy.

Former Employee - Pilot
    Former Employee - Pilot

I worked at NetJets full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Paycheck, medical benefits, air conditioning in the office

Cons

Putting up with the most knee jerk reactionary "management" style I have ever had to endure. Good ideas can't travel up the chain of command. Terminations are used to intimidate the work force.

Clear out the entire management staff from Hansell and Lampert on down. They are the ones responsible for ruining the company I used to love so dearly.

A horribly managed 'Good old boy's club' rooted in flagrant nepotism that rewards only the connected few.

I have been working at NetJets full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Pilots are based from home instead of having to commute. The schedule tends to be fairly predictable due entirely to stringent contract work rules. Healthcare insurance premiums are paid for by the company, but again, only due to work rules that cannot be changed without a new contract.

Cons

Employee morale is at an all time low. Pilots, as compared to the major airlines (United, American, Delta), are paid approximately half of the average wage. This fact is disingenuously masked by the managerial term "industry leading wage" often used in company propaganda but really only referring to a tiny facet of the greater aviation industry in order to satisfy an agenda.

A recent merger between two formerly separate entities within Netjets prompted management to unfairly promote all pilots at the smaller company en masse as a parting shot against organized labor. After the merger, this political stunt served only anger, frustrate, and demotivate the greater pilot force resulting in a major lack of motivation to perform their job well among most pilots at Netjets. To date, incredibly junior pilots who are part of the 'Good old boy's club' are still paid much higher wages than pilots who are senior to them on the seniority list.

In addition, despite record profits and booming growth, management continues to demand concessions from it's pilots in the name of ruthless greed. They have also proposed new work rules, that while potentially effective with assembly line workers, are detrimental to safety at an airline. Specifically, the notion that 'pay-for-performance' would motivate pilots to fly more trips negates the undeniable fact that it would also motivate pilots to fly broken, potentially dangerous aircraft in order to make more money. This is just one example of short sighted, greedy nature of this naive and inexperienced management team. It is obvious that this company's focus is on profit to the detriment of safety, fairness, and respect for it's customers as well as it's employees.

Replace this leadership team with a CEO who DID NOT come into his position directly from an internship at his father's law firm. Put a leader in place who has actually earned his right to manage a company of this size through hard work and experience, not nepotism. Respect the concept of fairness with a seniority based company and adjust positions accordingly. In order to advertise that you have the best pilots in aviation, you should probably considering paying them the highest wages in aviation first - Netjets has missed this mark by half. Be honest about the term 'industry' and don't lie or try to hide behind semantics. Above all, remember this...In the service industry, NOTHING is more expense than low employee morale.

NetJets Photos