NetSuite

NetSuite Reviews in San Francisco, CA

Updated May 16, 2014

NetSuite President, CEO, and Director Zach Nelson

Zach Nelson

Pros
  • Rest assured that your work is well-compensated while providing a work-life balance at the same time(in 12 reviews)

• They've got a great product which has a great solution for the mid-market, still has a way to go to meet enterprise needs(in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • none so far as I'm a new hire for Netsuite Philippines Inc(in 5 reviews)

• My work-life balance isn't always ideal(in 5 reviews)

27 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Suite Place to Work!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsI work closely with C Level execs at NetSuite and they are accessible, committed, respectful, and overall some really cool ppl to work for. NetSuite takes care of their employees and has a really great comp package! Also, I feel like they are really trying to improve and make more positive changes to show the employees they care and establish NetSuite culture and values.The work/life balance is great as well. The commute is very easy for me at least, I am able to take 280 to work and not commute on 101 (for me that is a HUGE plus)

ConsWell this confirms I am happy here, I am finding it difficult to find Cons- i do tend to focus on the positive as much as possible and comp and benefits package make it easier

Just another high-tech company

Instructor (Current Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsThe bennies are above average. My manager is great. I like the flexibility of being able to work remotely at times. Interesting products!

ConsNobody understands my real contributions, as I have 3 roles. Low compensation with no hope of raises. The other employees can be hostile. Some of them avoid sharing info as some sort of head game. Stock underwater. Company is growing quickly, which can be bad for employees. I get a sense that burn-out is rampant, but that's typical for this type of biz. It's nearly impossible to get the tools I need to do my job well.

Advice to Senior ManagementRead the cons. Know that some of us bottom feeders have made you mega$ but are not compensated in any way, shape or form. This will explode in your face later.

It's okay but people seem to be jumping ship

Sales Account Manager (Current Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsWork-life balance is good
    Salary is close to market

ConsNo defined culture really
    People seem to be leaving in droves (HR, Finance,etc)
    New CPO is carbon copy of last one
    Some of us are under water with our stock options nowadays
    Not handing out RSU's anymore

Advice to Senior ManagementPut some fun in the culture and company. Seems like a takeover target if things don't get better. Most act like Oracle but we aren't Oracle! Be unique!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great Company!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsLove the energy and talent - very smart, driven people. I have no doubt NS will continue to be a great success.

ConsStronger health and financial benefits to keep up w/the market.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest in infrastructure that can support our awesome growth!

Working hard, good compensation

Professional Service Consultant (Current Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsGood compensation package, unfortunately no ESPP.
    Working hard and long hours, and being recognized for it.
    A little early to say, but it seems that NetSuite offers good career opportunities.

ConsA little much Oracle influence here. Missing some fun at work, Friday drinks, team building events...
    Also, too little formal training offered to employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake it more fun at the office! It doesnt give a good image when employees walk around with a long face and don't greet each other in hallways. Some team spirit missing!

Toxic, political culture with management bullying

(Former Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsThere is good work-life balance with no expectation that you need to check email at night or work on weekends. Base pay is very competitive, as is the number of RSUs they hand out. The stock has also done phenomenally well.

ConsOne of the worst cultures I have ever worked in. Screaming matches, cursing, and outright bullying are quite common, and HR does very little. You need to spend most of your time building political capital and getting yourself into the good books of the various powerful cliques in the company. You also need to engage in used car salesman tactics of having to buy bottles of wine and other gifts to get on people's good side.

Engineering: These folks are extremely overworked and have changing deadlines and shifting priorities thrown at them all the time. The application does not scale well and causes headaches during upgrade time.

Product Management: A good product, but acquisitions have caused numerous challenges for customers, especially the OpenAir acquisition.

Sales and Sales Engineering: Lots of backbiting. Sales reps are shamed publicly on a "leaderboard" by the CEO when failing to sign up customers for SuiteWorld. Experienced SEs rarely getting any autonomy. A lot of reps don't last 6 months here.

Marketing: Absolute lack of leadership everywhere. Numerous cliques here and rampant gossiping behind your back. Micromanagement to the core, by insecure product marketing leadership and constant turf battles all the time.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't laud yourself for the rise in stock price - you're lucky that the hedge funds are interested in the cloud fad. If Oracle doesn't buy you, you're in deep trouble. Kenandy has a ton of Enterprise ERP customers while you're still stuck in the SMB after 15 years.

Disappointment, although good product

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsThey've got a great product which has a great solution for the mid-market, still has a way to go to meet enterprise needs. But compared to the competition out there, it's a no-brainer for a cloud ERP system. Pay was good, in line with the current market.

ConsManagement seems very much an "old boys club" or college clique, treat anyone who's not a manager like a lower-class person. The culture is super old-school, mentality of "if you're not in your seat, you're not working". A lot of micromanaging, in all aspects: how they run deals, people, how they spend their money -- penny-pinching on everything. for ex, making you travel on a weekend, or multi-leg flight just to save the company money, when it should be the employee's time away from the family they should be concerned about. Lots of double-standards - tell you one thing, then go do something else. And the office culture is so sad, the most depressing environment I've ever worked in. Not the young-company, fast-paced environment I was hoping for. Even internally folks are curious how they won some local best-company to work for, probably because they believe in the product.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you want to grow the company, you have to think more strategically. Trust your employees that you hire, with experience.

Was Good, gone bad

QA Software Engineer (Current Employee) San Mateo, CA

Pros- Good Stock Options
    - good work/life balance
    - good place to start a career and learn corporate culture

Cons- below average salary
    - job can get boring after some time
    - lots of politics going on

Advice to Senior Managementget rid of all incompetant managers, do not promote based on seniority but on merit

Boring, no career growth, not a great place to continue your career

Software Engineer (Former Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsThere are some smart people in dev group.
    Heads of dev group are good & they seem to believe their employees, they respect engineers.
    Stock price is going up forever and ever.
    Balancing work life.

ConsVery frugal salary & very much below the market range
    Very stingy management
    VP holds lot of power & every small change in the org/project/salary should come from VP
    No challenging work at all, product is boring & moreover QA takes the boring part to the next level.
    Absolutely there is no recognition for hard work & talent.
    No much hikes in salary, they see it as a big deal & as a favor.
    They run QA group as a group that supports the live data center & QA people are just okay with verifying & closing P1 issues. No career growth at all.
    If you join Net suite (especially QA), your career growth is at risk.
    QA head is more into the political things than really recognizing outstanding people & help them to bolster their career growth.
    Most of the people are just dragging their feet coz they have got hell lot of stocks & they are waiting to cash them.
    Too much of oracle culture.
    They don't see QA as engineers and the worst part is QA is okay with that.
    Any tech savvy will leave the company in a year or two unless he/she gets some better role.
    Even in dev, most of the times you end up fixing issues & thats it.

I have worked with NetSuite

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) San Mateo, CA

ProsThe company really does take care of their people and there are tons of opportunities to advance here and most importantly, it's encouraged. Great location in San Mateo (Silicon Valley), fun and open environment, managers have an open door policy, and great benefits!

ConsA lot of processes need improvements

Worked for NetSuite? Contribute to the Community!