Netflix

Updated December 10, 2014
3.8

Netflix Founder, Chairman and CEO Reed Hastings
Reed Hastings

Pros
  • Work atmosphere is awesome with lot of freedom and responsibility (in 31 reviews)

• Good Pay & Fact paced work environment (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Netflix makes no secret about it's high performance culture, which results in a very high turnover (in 18 reviews)

• IT IS LITERALLY TRUE THAT IT IS CULTURE OF FEAR, no matter how talented you are (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

14 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Amazing culture, clear and transparent strategy, and an amazing staff.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (less than an year)

Pros

- The company has amazing work culture. They encourage personal responsibility, so you're allowed to work the way you like to work as long as work is getting done.

- All teams appear to be very clear and transparent with regards to strategy. I knew exactly what I was doing, why I was doing it and what the overall objective was. Lots of clear communication and collaboration. You think this would be a no brainer for all companies, but this is increasingly rare so it's great to see Netflix embrace communication.

- Plenty of parking in the Beverly Hills office.

- Catered lunch EVERYDAY.

Cons

-Lack of new employee onboarding for your particular role. When you're new, everyone is really busy so there is rarely time for you to sit down with someone and learn the processes for your role that are specific to Netflix. A lot of it is learning on the fly and asking questions as they come up. This is fine if you're a fast learner or have a lot of experience for your role, but for others this can be a very difficult roadblock that can affect campaigns early on and stifle rapport building within teams

You have created an amazing product and an amazing place to work. Keep going!

Culture Deck Is Real

Current Employee - Content Operations Manager in Beverly Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Content Operations Manager in Beverly Hills, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Being part of an innovative and transparent company has kept me working here for several years. Not only do I love what I do, but what keeps me here is the environment. We live out the culture deck. Politics do not prohibit me from doing my job or speaking out when I have a recommendation on what could be better. Collaboration is encouraged, and it's easy to do when you have high-performing peers and understanding managers.

Cons

None to reference at this time.

Keep up with the great transparency.

Disappointing

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Beverly Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Beverly Hills, CA

I have been working at Netflix as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent Salary and benefits; catered lunches. Everyone at Netflix is very talented, smart and professional

Cons

There's very little understanding of the 'Freedom and Responsibility" mantra. The culture tends to promote throwing each other under the bus mentality. The marketing department has very little direction. Reminded me of a kids soccer game; everyone huddled up around the ball without any direction on where to go. Would really benefit from some consistent direction and communication.

Consider establishing better forms of communications and direction for entire teams and individual employees. Many people are spending their days confused on direction, goals and job responsibilities (areas of focus and ownership).

Horrible place to work, on every level

Former Employee - Digital Account Specialist in Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Digital Account Specialist in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The salary is good. Pretty much nothing else.

Cons

I was constantly fearful for my job and stressed out of my mind every day I came to work. Bosses were willing to lie and cover up their own errors to save their jobs. Lots of cold, heartless managers with no outside interests, no families - nothing but Netflix in their lives. Married people beware - when you interview there, ask about how Netflix feels about the "3 B's" - Babies, Birthdays and Brides (spoiler alert: they don't want to hear anything about them). Although some employees had dogs, so they had that going for them. I got into a disagreement with my manager and was fired soon thereafter. But it was for the best - I had tried to get pregnant for over a year while at Netflix but was so miserable and depressed it never happened. Less than a year after leaving this hellhole my husband and I welcomed a beautiful new baby girl. So this is probably a Pro - thank you Netflix for helping me and my family bring a little 'B' into this world, and thank you for making me realize that there are more things to life than big salaries and delusional arrogance, posturing and self-promotion. Hopefully the rest of your employees will one day see the light.

Retire.

Very Different Culture

Former Employee - Content Team in Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Content Team in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Work with highly intelligent individuals, free lunches, snacks sodas. your peers are great people that you will enjoy spending time around. On the peer level it is a very welcoming atmosphere.

Cons

Work Life balance is horrible, no room to grow or it takes 8+ years. Extremely high turn over whether it be employees leaving or arbitrary 'Lay Offs'

No advice - it would be a waste of breath. Management, gets their orders from way above your level. It's a very, very large corporation where advice or ideas aren't welcomed.

Most of the negative reviews on this site are accurate.

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

Better than average pay
    Unlimited vacation
    Free lunch and snacks

Cons

No upward mobility
    Frequent restructuring
    Cliquishness
    **********
    Netflix makes no secret about it's high performance culture, which results in a very high turnover. Average life expectancy in this office is about 2 years, which means very often the main knowledge base of a department exists when an employee is terminated (not always for fair reasons) or chooses to leave since there is no room to grow. There are conflicting values and many managers don't practice what Netflix preaches. If you associate with the right people, this can help your career, but it is disappointing that office politics factors so heavily into a company that preaches how different they are from other corporate cultures. Yes, it's great we all get Blackberries or iPhones (and are reachable 24/7) and have a liberal vacation policy, but the aura of paranoia that invades the office due to the frequent restructurings is not conducive to successful business practices.

The culture in the main headquarters in San Jose is different and very disconnected from the BH office. Getting on the same page would help as would treating your employees with more respect.

Netflix hires the best and brightest but realize that you are hired for one job and vertical movement is unlikely.

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

They hire great, hardworking people and the management is relentless and single focused in enforcing their mission statement and driving success in DVD rental by mail and online. Everyone who works there is of above average intelligence and ability and the jobs can be rewarding and demanding. They really do hire people who are autonomous and can own a process and you can rely on those around you to provide the support you need.

Cons

They do not focus on career development and would prefer to hire someone from the outside to be your boss or replace you rather than groom you to grow into a more senior position. There are a couple of core values that they preach but do not really follow through on. There is a very different culture between the LA office and the HQ which feels inconsistent with their value system.

Their vision and focus is top notch and they do not need much help in achieving success in those areas. They should focus a little more on treating their people a little better and not churning through so many very competent people. also as they grow they need to realize that some of their values are difficult to maintain. for instance, they make some claims about being a flat organization but this is far from the truth.

great company, limited career opportunities

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

flexible vacation policy (days are not tracked)
    nice office with great technology (free drinks/sodas/snacks)
    interesting work
    free subscription
    work with extremely competent colleagues (high performance culture)
    great online dot com experience
    company is well-respected

Cons

no career path, limited opportunities for career advancement (those at the top stay, mid-level to entry-level employees tend to leave after a few years)
    very competitive work environment (high performance culture)
    high pressure, high stress (high performance culture)
    not enough support, work a lot of hours
    management is (openly) not concerned with morale (if you don't like it, leave)
    no job security (they are quick to lay off mediocre performers)

Morale is important

Netflix is a great place to work for a couple of years and get on your resume, then leave for the next opportunity

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

- Netflix treats their employees like adults, giving them both "freedom & responsibility" (a favorite company catchphrase) to do their jobs. Not hampered by lots of processes or structure, employees are empowered to find the best and most direct solutions to their problems
    - Great work environment that's casual but high performance. The emphasis is on results, and not on face time in the office. If you need to take time off or work from home, you can, as long as your work gets done
    - Full of really smart, fun people. You get the chance to work with a lot of highly competent and impressive employees.
    - Typical benefits are fine (health insurance, etc.), but the extra perks are especially nice, such as no vacation limit and a generous hardware/gadget policy
    - It's nice to work for a brand that consumers love. People tend to get excited when they hear you work at Netflix.
    Overall, Netflix is one of the best work environments I've been in, except for a few major downsides ...

Cons

- There is essentially no career growth or promotions within the company. Most positions are filled externally, and people tend to stay in the exact same job for a couple of years before they get frustrated and leave. This is the number one employee complaint, which senior management knows about and seems to implicitly support
    - Very high turnover, due to both voluntary departures and frequent terminations. High pressure, high performance culture coupled with frequent firings often create a culture of fear
    - Titles are deflated one level lower than the rest of the industry. This is fine while at Netflix (compensation is usually appropriate for the work you do), but can be difficult once you want to leave Netflix and are looking for your next job
    - As a growing company, there are increasing office politics. Netflix is no longer a small start-up, and it's suffering its growing pains as it becomes a large, established company
    Overall, most employees love working at Netflix, but eventually get frustrated by the lack of career growth.

Value your employees as long-term assets, before you drive away great people. Good job in keeping Netflix a nimble, results-oriented place to work

Great for a couple of years

Former Employee - Coordinator in Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at Netflix

Pros

Benefits - good pay, stock purchase program, "unlimited" vacation days, free movies. Talent. The company is re-defining an industry by doing something that hasn't been done before.

Cons

No opportunity for advancement; no promotion from within. Upper management is lacking leadership skills. A great performance has no effect on job security. Difficult to maintain work/life balance because of the high-pressure, "high performance" culture. Job titles are deflated, which means that when you leave the company and go back into the job market, you will have a hard time finding another job that will pay you as much for the same title.

Value all of your employees, including those at the bottom of the hierarchy. Reward loyalty and performance with regard to the way in which the individual wants to be rewarded.