Netflix

Netflix Reviews

Updated Jul 5, 2014

Netflix Founder, Chairman and CEO Reed Hastings

Reed Hastings

Pros:
  • "Freedom and Responsibility" is their guiding phrase here and it is true"
    in 29 reviews
  • "Good Pay & Fact paced work environment"
    in 18 reviews
Cons:
  • "Netflix makes no secret about it's high performance culture, which results in a very high turnover"
    in 18 reviews
  • "You know you're in a culture of fear when the person training your group talks about how they were nearly fired"
    in 17 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Great coworkers, great pay, work-life balance struggle

ProsGreat people, full of intelligent hard-workers and top performers. You'll have exceptional coworkers. The company is extremely transparent in every way so you'll always know where you stand.

ConsThe work-life balance is sometimes hard to manage. They expect top performance from everyone, which can take a toll on home life. No vacation policy, yet hard to find a time to take a vacation due to how much work you have.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice here.

Great pay

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Los Gatos, CA

ProsExcellent wages lots of autonomy

ConsToo much turnover. Can be hard to get away from work

Good company

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Los Gatos, CA

ProsSmart people, less politics, freedom to use resources

ConsLunches are not good. Only one performance review per year for a raise.

Advice to Senior ManagementThey are very open on the information.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good experience, difficult job

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee)
    Hillsboro, OR

Pros-Decent employee benefits
    -Fellow employees are great
    -Not too much direct oversight/too many meetings
    -Training was excellent and engaging

ConsPerformance metrics seem reasonable at first, but it's nearly impossible to meet some of them. For example, one of your metrics is the percentage of "No" answers you get from the survey at the end of the call asking customers if they were satisfied, but this system is relatively flawed.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive employees a bit more breathing room, and you'll have a much happier workforce.

Never a lull in the action

Operations Supervisor (Former Employee)
    Boise, ID

ProsFast paced environment. The company seemed to really appreciate all employees no matter what level they were. Benefits package was set up so that you pocketed some or all of the allotted money set aside for medical, etc. if you did not use it. Too bad all medical insurance is not set up this way...

ConsVery early mornings on certain days, but, that was needed to make shipments arrive to customers quickly. Having to leave early to make labor costs. As a result, a lot of work ended up being left for the salaried manager. DVD rental side shrinking due to streaming.

Advice to Senior ManagementEliminate excess supplies and use that extra money for labor.

Very Different Culture

Content Team (Former Employee)
    Beverly Hills, CA

ProsWork with highly intelligent individuals, free lunches, snacks sodas. your peers are great people that you will enjoy spending time around. On the peer level it is a very welcoming atmosphere.

ConsWork Life balance is horrible, no room to grow or it takes 8+ years. Extremely high turn over whether it be employees leaving or arbitrary 'Lay Offs'

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advice - it would be a waste of breath. Management, gets their orders from way above your level. It's a very, very large corporation where advice or ideas aren't welcomed.

Mistake of a lifetime. Total career suicide. Hillsboro

Csr1 (Former Employee)
    Hillsboro, OR

ProsPaydays, quitting time, seeing your superiors fail.

ConsHow about...an unspoken policy of fear, day in, day out. Managers that are ignorant, uneducated, selfish, and stupid. Oh, and flunkie "team supervisors" that get promoted to the position only because they know how to suck up and let themselves get abused by management...Oh, there was so much more. This is flat-out the WORST company I've ever worked for. They laid me off because of my "call time average" was 7 seconds, yes...SECONDS, over their silly weekly limit. In reality, they laid me off because I was 50, and have medical problems. Oh, I hope I live to see the day when someone sues the hell out of them. I just can't wait. I have never wanted for a company to fail, but I want them to.

Advice to Senior ManagementReed, pay attention, you little weasel. Why don't you sell this company so someone with someone with a soul can run it. Are we clear? You, Dude, SUCK!!!!

Customer Service Training

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)

ProsThey are very hard to please. Hard to maintain good numbers when the service is the issue.

ConsI have nothing to add.

Advice to Senior ManagementNone

Culture of fear...and (possibly) loathing

ProsRelative to some Bay Area companies, Netflix pays about 10% to 20% better. Meaning, if you're unqualified, you'll get better pay than someone who is more qualified doing the same job in another Bay Area company. Altho, I hear this is changing and Netflix will only give you a raise if you can find someone in the Bay Area with the exact title and responsibilities who make more. Contrary to the buzz about Netflix being a tech innovator, it's become a "Hollywood" company. What drives Netflix is the Netflix "produced" shows; not the "innovative" streaming technology - Hollywood runs Netflix; not Los Gatos.

ConsSince many people are only at Netflix for the higher than average salary, there is a culture of fear whereby people are constantly worried about their employment status in the company and will, unfortunately, submit to their baser instincts to do whatever it takes to keep their job. As for a high-performing culture, I guess it's relative but I've worked with much much more talented people elsewhere. Netflix is a great place if you are average and are able to keep upper management for figuring out that you are just average and are willing to do whatever it takes to keep up that facade. It's a less than ideal place if you are truly innovative and want to do amazing "new" things. Again, the new thing at Netflix is producing new shows; not technology.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou've done a great job of positioning Netflix as a high-performing place so that those who don't work at Netflix believe this to be the case, now, live up to this which is much harder said than done.

Awesome place to work

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat co workers, benefits, and awesome atmosphere. Management is awesome and the job is easy to get the hang of.

ConsCan deal with some angry customers and the job can get kind of repetitive. But overall best place I've worked for.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe good at your job and follow the rules

Worked for Netflix? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Netflix reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Netflix CEO Reed Hastings. All 392 reviews posted anonymously by Netflix employees.