Netflix

Netflix Reviews

Updated Jul 5, 2014

Netflix Founder, Chairman and CEO Reed Hastings

Reed Hastings

Pros:
  • "Freedom and Responsibility" is their guiding phrase here and it is true"
    in 29 reviews
  • "Good Pay & Fact paced work environment"
    in 18 reviews
Cons:
  • "Netflix makes no secret about it's high performance culture, which results in a very high turnover"
    in 18 reviews
  • "You know you're in a culture of fear when the person training your group talks about how they were nearly fired"
    in 17 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

The best design culture I have ever been in.

Creative Director (Current Employee)
    Los Gatos, CA

ProsInnovation is not hampered by unnecessary process. Designs are not approved by executives or committee they are approved by the users. This is an environment that promotes creativity.

ConsYou must be able to let your work go. For every test that wins 4 other designs fail. Being able to learn from designs that fail is difficult to do when you are emotionally invested in them.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive highly talented, less experienced, candidates an opportunity to interview. Raw talent, in a fully formed adult, at a great company yields great results.

Best place I have ever worked

Director of Engineering (Current Employee)
    Los Gatos, CA

ProsLeading edge technology, not afraid to do things differently if it makes sense, agile and low process overhead for getting things done. Clear focus on a simple business model, with clear responsibilities and freedom on how to deliver.

ConsYou have to be comfortable with rapid change, ambiguity and have enough self confidence to cope with the culture. It's not a place for people who like to know what the rules are and follow them.

Great Company

Operations Manager (Former Employee)
    Phoenix, AZ

ProsAwesome pay and great benefits

ConsLong hours, very early mornings

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the good work.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Really great place to work!

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Los Gatos, CA

ProsThe company has a really good philosophy about not imposing burdensome processes and rules. It also treats people as adults and assumes everyone knows the best way to get their job done. They are very good at communicating the current thinking of upper management and the current plan and focus, and how they see the future. Compensation is very good.

ConsThere can be a high turnover. People are let go frequently. Can be a bit intense.

Great Place to Work!

Los Gatos, CA

ProsExcellent co-workers and leadership. Culture of freedom and responsibility is taken seriously and results in an productive and mature working environment.

ConsThe culture leads to a necessity to communicate. Folks who do not want to communicate honestly will falter. It also critical to take initiative. Those with a lack of initiative will struggle.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to reward results and creativity. The culture works by having the right people at the company. Keep it up!

Great place to work if you're looking for brilliant people who think outside of box about absolutely everything.

Director of Data Science & Analytics (Current Employee)
    Los Gatos, CA

Prosgreat culture of openess, communication, respect, and high-performance
    no 'brilliant jerks' tolerated
    complete autonomy in your work

Consless job security than you might feel at other companies

Come join us!

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Los Gatos, CA

ProsLots of new technologies to learn, upper management is very capable and highly effective

ConsFast paced, and a lot of work has to be done to become the best streaming company

One of the best run companies, great benefits, no sick leave or vacation policy & exceptional pay

Director of Marketing (Former Employee)
    Redwood City, CA

ProsA go-go place that is well-run and exciting. Until the recent blowback on pricing, it was (and still is) a great place that everyone recognizes. Engaging, valuable projects were constantly being pursued. Really loved the Marketing team and the relationship with the other departments!

ConsNot for the faint of heart. If you seek a place to hide, you won't last long here. Other than that, it is hard to not have loved working for a company that has great products and management.

Advice to Senior ManagementLove your vacation and sick leave policy, no limits based on the work you achieve. I am not certain if they can keep it up as they get bigger, but hope you can!

The Right Place If You Are The Right Fit

Engineering Manager (Current Employee)
    Los Gatos, CA

ProsSo far I am incredibly impressed with Netflix. This is by far the highest concentration of smart people I have ever seen at one company and I have worked in Silicon Valley for over 20 years at large and small companies. In addition, not only are they smart but also very helpful and ego free. I read the culture slide deck before I started but wondered if they actually "walked the walk". I've found the answer to that question to be "absolutely".

If you are not a really smart, driven person who can operate completely independently and with little direction from management, then you will not be happy or successful at Netflix. There is no hand holding, and expectations are high. But if you are the kind of person that craves lots of freedom and responsibility than you will love it.

In the period of time I've been here, I have personally seen several people get promoted from engineers to managers and from managers to directors. There is a lot of career growth as the company is growing like gangbusters right now and if you are great you will love it and thrive.

ConsIf you are looking for safety and worried that you won't get another job somewhere else, Netflix is not the place for you. Basically, Netflix operates like a Startup company. There is no hand holding, you have to make lots of important decisions on your own, you have to be proactive about seeking out help and information, and the culture is fast paced and filled with lots of people who would be the smartest guys in the room at other companies. At Netflix the whole room is filled with those guys. If that intimidates you or scares you, thats a sign its not a good fit for you. If that lights you up and excites you, then you will love working at Netflix.

Advice to Senior ManagementIts going to be a challenge to preserve the unique culture as the company grows. Please keep focusing on freedom and responsibility and make sure new managers totally get that aspect of the culture. That is what attracted me to Netflix and I want to see it continue as we grow.

Best run company I have ever been with and I have been with some good orgs.

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Los Gatos, CA

ProsAmazingly smart people. Business looks easy but is complicated--hard problems to solve which is why I am here. I get to do work that affects our customers, directly...way cool that my role has that much impact.

ConsNot everyone wants the culture to work--and that is disappointing.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep the course with the business and the culture.

Worked for Netflix? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Netflix reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Netflix CEO Reed Hastings. All 392 reviews posted anonymously by Netflix employees.