Netflix

Netflix Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Netflix Founder, Chairman and CEO Reed Hastings

Reed Hastings

Pros
  • Freedom and Responsibility" is their guiding phrase here and it is true(in 29 reviews)

• Good Pay & Fact paced work environment(in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Netflix makes no secret about it's high performance culture, which results in a very high turnover(in 18 reviews)

• IT IS LITERALLY TRUE THAT IT IS CULTURE OF FEAR, no matter how talented you are(in 17 reviews)

If Netflix was a TV show: Action Series with a Hint of Survivor

Engineering Manager (Current Employee) Los Gatos, CA

Pros* "Freedom and Responsibility Culture" = Lots of individual control (Read Reed's slide deck)
    * If you're part of a well-run team, you'll love it
    - Excellent compensation
    - Unique stock option program with personal choice for $$$ allocated
    - Fast-paced environment with lots of challenges
    - It's the largest streaming movie service in the world and it's just getting better
    - Extremely open with corporate information sharing (no internal culture of secrecy like Apple)
    - Incredible execution over the last couple years - the methods can be controversial, but you can't argue with the quarterly/annual results

Cons* "High Performance Culture" = You can hang yourself easily and get canned (Read Reed's slide deck)
    * If you join a mis-managed group, you'll be posting a negative review on here soon. :-)
    - Average benefits programs
    - Inexperienced managers can mis-apply the "high performance culture" philosophy and lead to the "culture of fear" some people have complained about in certain organizations
    - Double-standard for performance: VP/C-level staff appear immune from "high performance culture". Reed rocks, but some of the others are average/good, not exceptional.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn almost two years at Netflix: Some people LOVE working at Netflix, some cautiously tolerate it. Too much of this is dependent on whether they're working for a competent manger that is assumed to properly apply the "high performance culture" philosophy.

The desire to streamline HR by getting rid of almost all policies and procedures means no "professional development" for your management teams. There needs to be a level of education for new managers (hired and promoted. Don't assume everyone "get's it" in order to make sure the "high performance culture" is properly applied. Done right, people will know what's expected of them, get regular feedback from their managers, and KNOW if they're on the short list for being let go as business needs change. They can react to this and either adapt or anticipate why they're getting a severance package. For most employees, Netflix is a short-term roller-coaster ride with options to ride again for those who enjoy it. When someone exits the ride, you want them leaving with a smile and the civil handshake, not a brick to the head and a just a check to cushion the pain.

I've been lucky to work for a manger who's awesome, and I've been having a great time. It's painful to see the flip side where co-workers are not always enjoying the same perspective when the company is doing so well as a whole.

Phenom place to work if you are lucky enought to be offerred a position

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Los Gatos, CA

Prosculture of excellence in all ways

Conssmall scale teams means less opportunity for variety than other firms

Highly Talented Group of Employees

Senior Software Engineer In Test (Current Employee) Los Gatos, CA

ProsChallenging and yet very collaborative workplace. Shared goal without politics. Lots of moving parts hence a lot of things to learn. Excellent Pay. Free Lunches.

ConsSimilar trappings of a growing company but nothing surprising that I have not already seen in one form or another with other companies I worked for in the past.

Advice to Senior ManagementEmbrace some form of process. Process can be useful if applied in the correct way and still enable any group to be flexible and role with schedule.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Ideal company

ProsFreedom and responsibility, that's what Netflix is all about. Sounds like a cliche but they really live it out and conduct the company that way, empowering employees to go forth yet not punish if an idea fails.

ConsPreviously not known for promoting from within but has gotten much better at it recently.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to find a place for superstars whose current jobs have become obsolete. All that investment in the person and their knowledge shouldn't go to waste.

Great place to work

Director (Current Employee) Los Gatos, CA

ProsExtremely open and honest culture to work in.
    Management takes pride in culture and therefore is very candid about both the strategy of the company, and the challenges ahead of us.

Very flat organization.

ConsNo clear career path or career development provided. "High performance" culture means that we aim to hire very talented people (which is great), but we don't hestitate to let some one go if its not going to be a good fit over the long-run.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue being open and candid about our strategic direction; it's extremely helpful in providing both context and unity of purpose.

Great place for highly motivated super-stars

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Los Gatos, CA

ProsOpen book business - nothing is hidden. If you want to find out something, no barriers to reach out across departments or ranks. Head count is low, so operation is lean and mean. Great pay.

ConsIf you're not earning your raise, you are on your way to get fired. No cafeteria (but free box lunch).

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue innovating in HR, culture, technology, and subscription business model. Don't allow ourselves to fall in to a sense of security by current good times.

Great place to work, but if you are looking for an easy secure job, Netflix is not for you.

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Los Gatos, CA

ProsFreedom and responsibility and working with smart, motivated, high-caliber people make for a great experience. The work environment is dynamic and unencumbered by rules and process. There are no slackers here.

ConsThe constant expectations of excellence can be stressful.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople aren't machines and they aren't expendable. If you don't spend some effort nurturing them, then you will lose them, and the people at Netflix are hard to replace.

Great Place to work-Never had a problem

Machine Operator (Current Employee) Anchorage, AK

Respectful leadership
    Good work hours

ConsNo Raises
    No paid time off
    Not many sit down evaluations with employees
    Alot of changes regarding minor day to day operations

Advice to Senior ManagementI've never once had a problem while working for Netflix. I've been a Machine Operator and an Opps Supervisor at the Anchorage Hub for all in all about 9 months total. Great manager and Supervisor team. No micromanaging and they understand the human side of things and treat everyone from the people that work twice a week all the way up to the full timers with exactly the same respect level. I enjoy working for the company greatly and there is alot of potential to move up in the ranks if you put your time in and do your job the right way. Simple. All it takes is actually WORKING and being accurate and on time. Not a problem for me, so Netflix is where I'll be for a long time.

A Company for Adults

Manager (Current Employee)

ProsLimited structure and rules required in order to get your work done. Least CYA place I've ever worked and people work hard.

ConsThe high performance culture can intimidate most people.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlways remain transparent - unexpected decisions without clear explanations are what happen at other companies.

Rave, gush, yell from the rooftops (for the right people)

Senior Systems Engineer (Current Employee) Los Gatos, CA

ProsFreedom and responsibility. Figure out what you need to get done, and do that.
    Time off flexibility that matches work requirement flexibility
    Insanely great management
    Fantastic peers
    All traction, no friction

ConsSo-so benefits
    Absolutely horrific stock option plan (fantastic combination of byzantine with low profit potential)
    Want work/life balance? You'll have to make it happen -- because Netflix won't help :)

Advice to Senior ManagementThat thing you've been doing so far? Do more of it. Hire insanely great people. Drive culture clearly, explicitly, often and loudly. If there's one thing I'd change it'd be to emphasize career opportunities and opportunities for advancement within the company -- not enough messaging is happening about that (despite that at least one of the very senior people, Andy Rendich -- Chief Service and DVD Operations Officer -- started off as an engineer).

Worked for Netflix? Contribute to the Community!