Netflix

Netflix Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

Netflix Founder, Chairman and CEO Reed Hastings

Reed Hastings

Pros
  • Freedom and Responsibility" is their guiding phrase here and it is true(in 29 reviews)

• Good Pay & Fact paced work environment(in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Netflix makes no secret about it's high performance culture, which results in a very high turnover(in 18 reviews)

• IT IS LITERALLY TRUE THAT IT IS CULTURE OF FEAR, no matter how talented you are(in 17 reviews)

Not for me

ProsVacation policy
    Free movies
    Fair benefits
    Fun concept
    Nice coworkers

ConsSenior management
    No security
    No recognition for good performance
    No respect from management
    No HR support

Advice to Senior ManagementWhat happened to this company? Used to be a great job, not so much anymore. Please start caring about your people. We have lost many talented people, more want to leave. See what's going on and help your employees want to stay and get the old culture back.

Once a nice place to work... Now... Not so much...

ProsFree Netflix Account
    It's good to have a job in a bad economy.
    You actually get health benefits even if premiums are going up.

Cons-Cult like atmosphere. If you don't tow the current corporate mantra, be prepared to be ostracized.
    -Bad communication. Be prepared to receive the wrong information from people and little help getting it clarified. Your manager may be the one giving you the wrong information.
    -Poor quality metrics. Call center did not always focus entirely on numbers. Now it appears to be all they care about, even if the metrics system is flawed. You can be fired if as little as 2% of the callers you speak with leave negative feedback. In many cases you do not have much control over the reason someone is leaving negative feedback. Be prepared to accept that it is your fault no matter what the reason for the negative feedback was.
    -Lack of ownership. You may not get backed up by your manager or your manager will bend policies to avoid taking escalated calls.
    -Lack of respect. Management will act as if you're incompetent and don't know how to do your job during team meetings. Very belittling tones used from the people who spend the least amount of time on the phone.
    -Little chance of career advancement. You may be able to become a supervisor, but that's about where it tops out at. CSR II is basically doing the grunt work of a supervisor for a meager pay increase. Despite this, it is an improvement over how it used to be where a promotion usually meant you'd be fired within three months.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe prepared for a downturn in the quality of the call center once the recession lifts. When people are not so desperate for a job, you will have a much thinned pool worthwhile employees. As technology changes to streaming you will need more skilled reps who actually understand what they're doing rather than reading scripts.

Not worth the stress! Everyone hates their job there!

ProsGood Pay
    Direct deposit
    Netflix gear
    Close to public transportation

ConsTons of Stress!
    Things change at a moments notice
    No sick time
    No vacation time
    No Holiday pay
    impossible to get time off
    Not flexible with shifts forget it students!
    Mandatory overtime if you don't pick a time they will. I was stuck there till 2am!
    Inconsistency in policies
    They concentrate on the negative calls hence dsat!
    HIGH turnover
    Unhelpful Technical support
    No shift drop or pick ups
    Have fun getting yelled at for wait times and watch instantly issues!
    Open 24 hours 7 days a week but for a lot off issues support staff isn't available.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you were the leading company in customer satisfaction years ago when people actually enjoyed working there why did you change it?

You need to realize that people call in because they have a problem. Work on trying to fix the issue and not on figuring out which reps sugar coat the awful truth the best.

Give you CSR'S the tools to actually help your customers. Don't have them tell customer That they are capable of handling any situation when they can't! Some CSR's want to help but it doesn't get past the contact notes.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

They hire you and then fire you

Operations Supervisor (Former Employee) Worcester, MA

ProsGreat for silicon valley rockstars who live there jobs.

ConsNo upward mobility unless you want to move across state lines. If you do not accept promotion you start to feel the screws tightening to leave.

Advice to Senior ManagementRelax. You will all be out of work in 5-7 years when everything goes online streaming.

Middle management is arrogant and incompetent

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Los Gatos, CA

ProsGood location, free lunch, ability to choose laptop, corporate culture looks good on paper

ConsMiddle management is unable to effectively plan; they do not understand the strengths and weaknesses of their teams and seem to be mostly interested in protecting their bloated salaries. 20% of work force should be terminated. The other 80% is so segmented that they are unable to accomplish anything of any real value. Netflix was probably a great company to work for a few years ago, but is dangerously mismanaged now.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart over. The company has great core beliefs but fails to efficiently execute.

It's a job, but only just that.

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Hillsboro, OR

ProsNo reason to work there unless you are a masochist.
    You can earn the same money selling vacuum cleaners.

ConsWhere do I start?
    No respect for employees.
    No vacation time.
    No sick leave.
    No consistency.
    No defending yourself.
    No dialogue.
    No sense of reason.
    No rules for managers, supervisors or "teachers pets".
    "Career Advancement" practically guarantees you'll be fired.

This is an awful, oppressive, fearful, negative and pitiful place to work. Seriously, go to Burger King or Walmart because they'll treat you better. For the "good wage (cough)" you'll end up with ulcers and a need to explain why you were fired to your next employer.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe corporate office needs to understand that in order to be #1, you have to treat people with respect. I have an MBA in Business and I'd never, ever treat people the way this company treats people. My advise? Fire your managment team in Hillsboro and start from scratch - you've got some major weak links there. They have ruined the call center. Being #1 is worthless if your employees hate every minute they spend there. I know I did.

Not Worth It

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Hillsboro, OR

ProsIts a job at a time when jobs are scarce
    Pay is good, benifits are good
    Sometimes you can get time off

ConsFeeling like you are going to be fired at any minute for any reason
    Atmosphere of fear and hostility
    Zero clear communication of what needs to be done to keep your job
    Unrealistic stat expectations that change almost weekly

Advice to Senior ManagementStop treating employees like trash. If you want someone to do a good job give them a company they can be proud to work for.

how on earth?!

Call Center Support Staff (Former Employee)

ProsDecent pay, but what are the expectations?

ConsI was never even given a chance. On my 5th day I was let go for "not being the right fit" the man actually had the nerve to tell me I was too quiet in class. I dont know about that... I thought it was a good thing not to be disruptive...huh...

Advice to Senior ManagementTrain your people and treat them like people and you will have a winning team. do it not and you will eventually fail.

Disorganized chaos, insanely high turnover.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Los Gatos, CA

ProsIndustry Leader
    Knowledge of company initiatives and goals are well spread knowledge amongst everyone there.
    Excellent Salary

ConsWork-life balance poor
    Turnover of employees extremely high, most stay for fewer than 6 months.
    Management unable to work together to form any cohesive goals.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement needs to grow up from it's casual start up type environment, and realize at the size and rate of growth it is at, it needs to begin implementing a more traditional working environment.

Start at 2:30 AM, work 60-80 hours a week, die a slow, painful death...

Ops Manager (Former Employee)

ProsLove the concept
    Movies are cool
    Netflix has brand recognition

ConsUpper management team on the Ops side is a joke
    The shelf life of most employees is short - this seems to be by design (not intelligent design)
    Performance means nothing - you can be termed just because someone in HR doesn't like your style, or because you refuse to "rule by fear"
    Reed's purported vision doesn't match up with what is happening internally
    A major disconnect between the PR about working for the company and what is happening at ground zero
    If you try to achieve a work/life balance, you will be shut out - not a family-friendly organization
    Relocation and travel compensation has improved, but will compromise you financially -- yet, they require you to relocate to demonstrate your wilingness to move up -- but they always fire the people who move up so everyone is afraid to take the bait
    It is an up and out organization - except for the people at the top

Advice to Senior ManagementSince you like turnover so much - why don't you critically re-think and turn out the upper managers who have been there the longest? You have lost a lot of talented people in the past few years and lost the respect of many more. This used to be a cool company because it was innovative, creative, nimble, and driven to be successful. Now, it is a company run by a lot of scared people. I don't know of any better way to quash ideas and morale than to conduct business by fear. It is time to really grow up and restore real leadership to the company instead of promoting playground bullies. Term the senior management at the top and install people who have developed current, relevant expertise in the hub ops otherwise you are just running in really weak circles.

Worked for Netflix? Contribute to the Community!