Netflix

Netflix Reviews

Updated Apr 4, 2014

Netflix Founder, Chairman and CEO Reed Hastings

Reed Hastings

Pros:
  • "Work atmosphere is awesome with lot of freedom and responsibility"
    in 27 reviews
  • "Good Pay & Fact paced work environment"
    in 17 reviews
Cons:
  • "Netflix makes no secret about it's high performance culture, which results in a very high turnover"
    in 18 reviews
  • "IT IS LITERALLY TRUE THAT IT IS CULTURE OF FEAR, no matter how talented you are"
    in 15 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Stressful environment, but great rewards

CSR-1 (Former Employee)
Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Netflix part-time for less than a year

ProsThe pay was competitive for what the job was, and the benefits were excellent even for a temporary employee. The staff, including management, was generally relaxed and friendly. The culture is seemingly relaxed and there is no formal dress code or vacation policy.

ConsThe environment was very stressful and it felt like anyone could lose their job at any moment. There is a huge emphasis on stats and if an employee does not measure up, they are terminated. The opportunity to move up isn't nearly as within reach as they make it seem.

Advice to Senior ManagementWalk the talk!

Great place to work if you can handle it

I have been working at Netflix

ProsExcellent Salary and fringe benefits
Work with a lot of very smart people
Nothing is ever too serious. They like to keep it light.
Emphasize development of their people

ConsThe hours you work can get a little ridiculous sometimes, but again, the salary more than makes up for it
The DVD side of the business will eventually shrink out. Only plan on working here if you are a fit for the Streaming business needs.

Not as great as they make it out to be

Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Netflix full-time for less than a year

Pros*Free netflix
*Nice facility that is kept up well
*Usual set work schedule
*Pays a few dollars more than most places

ConsDuring training they make you think that as long as you are taking feedback they give you then there is no worries about the score of the percentage of people that say "no" to the survey. In all reality though the survey rules everything. Even if you helped the person on the phone to the best of your abilities, we're super nice, educated them about the problem and they thought you were an awesome person by time you were done talking to the Customer is still going to say No to the survey if they are annoyed with how netflix works because the survey doesn't ask if the person on the phone helped you today? It asks are you satsified with your netflix experience. So, there was a lot of frustration where they had a lot of people listen to you and none of them could really tell you what you could have done better in that call to make the person say yes to the survey. So, they give you tips like start every call differently instead of opening the call the same way or saying the customer's name over and over to help them feel like they have a connection with you to say yes.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop focusing so much on if some one says no to the survey if you're not going to specifically ask if the representative helped the customer. I am sure they have fired a lot of good people due to the survey.

Netflix Finance

Senior Manager Content Accounting (Current Employee)

I have been working at Netflix full-time for more than 3 years

Pros1) Great culture and people.
2) Lots of freedom with appropriate level of responsibility.
3) Pay top of market.
4) No vacation policy which adds to the freedom.
5) Love the business we're in and how we're changing an industry
6) No politics or at least not very noticeable
7) Again, great people!

Cons1) No more ESPP offered

Advice to Senior Management1) Bring back ESPP

Excellent Pay & Fast paced work environment

Senior BI Architect (Current Employee)

I have been working at Netflix full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGood Pay & Fact paced work environment

ConsFast paced a work environment and no additional perks

early riser

Machine Operator II (Former Employee)
Richmond, VA

I worked at Netflix for more than 3 years

Prosbenefit stipend, getting off early in the day

Consearly mornings, irregular hours, constant management changes

Let us do our jobs!

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee)
Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Netflix full-time for less than a year

ProsRelaxed environment: Dress code very comfortable
Decent wage: Beats the heck out of minimum wage
Free account: as long as you are employed

ConsToo much pressure on AHT. 5.5 minutes to relate, converse and fix issues. Not near enough.
Tech team needs to get their act together. Can get 3 different answers to the same question.
 Need more positive reinforcement. Scare tactics make for constant turnover.
3rd party call center..attendance policy very strict

Advice to Senior ManagementLet us do our jobs! Stop confining us on time spent with the customer! We have many elderly customers who need more explanation for issues. DSat is stressed way too much. Back off on a few things..and watch that DSat drop! What is more important...a satisfied member..or how many calls we take a day.

Big company with the heart of a startup

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros-Lots of room for innovation. The technologies are fairly new and broad, and there is no bureaucracy and requirements to get approval from top management. Innovation can start at the IC level.
-Great compensation. Talent is rewarded generously. I started the job on a large salary, then within 6 months, my manager decided to give me a hefty raise to reward my contributions.
-Nice work environment: bleeding edge hardware, new devices always available to play with even before they hit the market, kitchenette well stocked with snacks, drinks and fruits
-Smart coworkers
-Transparency about company strategies all the way from exec level to you direct lead level

Cons-This company isn't great for people who are starting their career. Training is minimal, and the expectation is that you take educating and training yourself into your own hands, which could be a bit of a challenge to some. If you do not possess the knowledge and the talent to be a good problem solver, don't expect management to train you on solving things.
-Job stability could be a concern at times - but as long as you continue to innovate, and stay professional, it shouldn't be a big concern
-The packaged free lunch isn't on par with the buffets at other silicon valley software companies like Facebook and Google - but it's still free though, so can't complain much

Advice to Senior ManagementWe're the reigning champions of video delivery, to all platforms. We reach more than 25 million households. We have so much potential for developing new innovations. Invest more in research and trials of radically new ideas. I'm not talking about incremental improvements to the streaming experience, I'm talking about making our customers say "WOW!", I'm talking about disrupting markets. Take risks! But please don't make another Quikster - that was pretty stupid, like you all said :)

Customer Service Is Not For Me

Frisco, TX

I worked at Netflix full-time for less than a year

ProsGood pay, benefits, and relaxed atmosphere.

ConsCustomer service in general. For some reason going into this I did not think it would be a typical customer service experience based on my own satisfaction with Netflix for the past 3 years. It's pretty easy work, but so many people who called were lazy and/or arrogant jerks. Some of them made me feel like I was an inch tall. It was emotionally draining, especially for someone as sensitive as I am. The pressure to meet the 0% DSAT also didn't help. The survey asks about the company but it's answer is a reflection of the customer service and high DSATs effect job performance. We're expected to convey a relaxed, friendly attitude and build a personal rapport with the customer, but with pressure of the DSAT it's hard not to make everything sound forced and phony because you want to really turn it on to try get a yes out of the person. I'm an introvert so faking conversations and trying to think of chit-chat was hard for me. Do not take this job if you're sensitive and don't have strong conversational skills. You must get to know the person. It is required. I also wanted to add that the schedules and team leaders are constantly changing. It's extremely frustrating.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange the survey question.

Competitive Company with Opportunities for The MOST Ambitious

Santa Clara, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time for more than a year

Prosfree food, and flexible scheduling is promoted, although in a call center, this schedule flexability is not really existent. Senior and Middle management try their best to be honest and forthcoming.
If you want something you can ask anyone and they can probably get it for you if you work for it.
Believe in promoting from within, and encouraging you.

Construthfully, their open door policy on who's getting fired, or what changes are happening can be somewhat stressful at times. you don't feel a sense of job security. their feedback oriented management style just feels pressure-some.

Netflix is a team. A sports team. an ambitious and cut throat team who will trade you off if they see you're not an asset any longer, rather than encourage you to move cross functionally.

Worked for Netflix? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Netflix reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Netflix CEO Reed Hastings. All 376 reviews posted anonymously by Netflix employees.