Netflix

Netflix Reviews in Hillsboro, OR

Updated Jun 8, 2014

Netflix Founder, Chairman and CEO Reed Hastings

Reed Hastings

Pros
  • Freedom and Responsibility" is their guiding phrase here and it is true (in 29 reviews)

• Good Pay & Fact paced work environment (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Netflix makes no secret about it's high performance culture, which results in a very high turnover (in 18 reviews)

• IT IS LITERALLY TRUE THAT IT IS CULTURE OF FEAR, no matter how talented you are (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights
97 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Customer Service Represenative

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Hillsboro, OR

ProsPay. $14/hr + benefits or ~$19/hr without benefits. (Not taking the $10,000 in benefits) Great employees.

ConsCompany is not transparent. Often customers will know a huge step taking by upper management before you do. Covering up or what I like to call lying to customers. This job will wear you down with customers, which is not the primary concern but middle management. No clear direction from supervisors they're just looking out for their jobs. One supervisor will differ from the other rapidly.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease stop making this such a cut throat environment. When reps get it from customers and then you also tie our hands with middle management it makes us despondent and depressed. Most of the reps hate Netflix and stresses them out. Resort to drinking excessively and drugs as a solution to the stress the job implements.

Very good pay and they make you pay for it

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Hillsboro, OR

ProsVery good pay
    Free movies
    Popcorn
    Tools are pretty good for a call center
    Lots of parking since they keep firing anyone that works on DVD

ConsHorrible benefits. You pay a lot for nothing. Don't be fooled by the extra allotment
    No vacation policy means no vacations. The managers and HR are always gone. Maybe they get vacation...
    In last 3 months all the good managers were fired or they work in california
    HR was a recruiter and hardly knows HR. Now that person runs the center and makes the decisions
    Outsourcers keep taking our calls and then they mess them up and transfer them to us instead of the survey. Then our DSAT goes up and then we get fired.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake care of the DVD business or shut it down. Stop making decisions based off what HR says.

Was sad to see the company change so much in one year

Customer Service Supervisor (Former Employee) Hillsboro, OR

ProsLots of room to make your own decisions and think on your feet

ConsWhen the price change occurred it was a cluster bomb that went off. Then it was announced the company was splitting to two (one DVD and one Streaming) and then it was announced none of that was happening. All the while customers were up in arms over this and we in management were always finding things out at the same time customers were so we had no time to prep our staff. Some very hard months for moral with our staff. Lost a lot of trust with our employee base in terms of management to subordinate relations.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure your mid-level management knows anything key before the public gets it through the blogs, etc. They have to have time to prep their staff and gain buy-in to make a successful transition occur with company changes and/or snaffus.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Stressful, fast, with lots of attrition.

Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Hillsboro, OR

ProsBleeding edge tech company, with great product.

ConsManagement cares more about metrics than your work/life balance. The buck always get's passed downhill.

Advice to Senior ManagementInvest time into long term employees.

Very good learning experience at a cost of a lot of heartache

Customer Service Supervisor III (Former Employee) Hillsboro, OR

ProsPay and benefits. They typically pay above scale and provide benefits from the time you become a full time employee.

ConsManagement, on several occasions missed their mark on several key initiatives in the center. Specifically they never had a clue what was happening on the floor in regards to employee satisfaction and were never involved in developing employees to rank up.

"Manage up or out" was stated on several occasions and this approach is what developed a culture of fear in the call center. High turnover is never a positive motivating factor and management was quick to let go of the people who stood against that ideal.

Advice to Senior ManagementI would share advice but management seems to agree with Hastings' approach of shooting from the hip and not listening to his trusted advisors.

Netflix was a good place to work.

Instant Watch Customer Service (Former Employee) Hillsboro, OR

ProsPay was excellent. All of the tools were available to do the job that needed to be done.

ConsMany customers did not understand how to use Instant View, and it was often difficult to explain.

Training is fun but then the real nightmare starts...

Netflix Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) Hillsboro, OR

ProsFree food handed out a lot, casual dress code, lots of people in their 20s that you can relate to.

ConsVery confusing attendance policy. If you're not a permanent employee yet basically, you miss a day or two, they'll fire you. Very little support from upper management when dealing with customers. Impossible sometimes to get assistance with problems though they advise that you get their help when needed. I was so stressed from continuously being threatened by my supervisor that I might lose my job I couldn't stand it. If you want to have any sort of healthy work environment, don't work here.

Advice to Senior ManagementFigure out an attendance policy and stick to it & be absolutely clear. Don't treat your employees like they don't matter either. People will find out & not want to give you business.

Their call center is a meat grinder

Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) Hillsboro, OR

ProsFree Netflix account. You also get free self-worth and self-esteem draining sessions with management.

ConsInsane high turn-over. Lack of support from management..

High pace, low direction

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Hillsboro, OR

ProsGreat compensation, decent hours, nice employees (below upper management).

ConsNo clear communication. The management team was not on the same page and would regularly countermand each other. Need for better process to clearly define the work requirements.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet on the same page.

Only thing consistent is being unconsistent

CSR-1 (Former Employee) Hillsboro, OR

ProsFree account good people supervisors when not being forced to d e'er ink the cool aid were very good

ConsNever on the same page upper management lies was told multiple times even the day before that my job was safe woke up the next day and was jobless.

Advice to Senior ManagementDon't lie to employees and stop blaming poor company decisons on your employees as a reason to let them go

Worked for Netflix? Contribute to the Community!