Netflix Reviews in Hillsboro, OR

Updated August 21, 2014
3.6

Netflix Founder, Chairman and CEO Reed Hastings
Reed Hastings

Pros
  • Freedom and Responsibility" is their guiding phrase here and it is true (in 29 reviews)

• Good Pay & Fact paced work environment (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Netflix makes no secret about it's high performance culture, which results in a very high turnover (in 18 reviews)

• IT IS LITERALLY TRUE THAT IT IS CULTURE OF FEAR, no matter how talented you are (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

98 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Customer Service Represenative

I have been working at Netflix full-time for more than a year

Pros

Pay. $14/hr + benefits or ~$19/hr without benefits. (Not taking the $10,000 in benefits) Great employees.

Cons

Company is not transparent. Often customers will know a huge step taking by upper management before you do. Covering up or what I like to call lying to customers. This job will wear you down with customers, which is not the primary concern but middle management. No clear direction from supervisors they're just looking out for their jobs. One supervisor will differ from the other rapidly.

Please stop making this such a cut throat environment. When reps get it from customers and then you also tie our hands with middle management it makes us despondent and depressed. Most of the reps hate Netflix and stresses them out. Resort to drinking excessively and drugs as a solution to the stress the job implements.

Very good pay and they make you pay for it

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Hillsboro, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR

I have been working at Netflix full-time for more than a year

Pros

Very good pay
    Free movies
    Popcorn
    Tools are pretty good for a call center
    Lots of parking since they keep firing anyone that works on DVD

Cons

Horrible benefits. You pay a lot for nothing. Don't be fooled by the extra allotment
    No vacation policy means no vacations. The managers and HR are always gone. Maybe they get vacation...
    In last 3 months all the good managers were fired or they work in california
    HR was a recruiter and hardly knows HR. Now that person runs the center and makes the decisions
    Outsourcers keep taking our calls and then they mess them up and transfer them to us instead of the survey. Then our DSAT goes up and then we get fired.

Take care of the DVD business or shut it down. Stop making decisions based off what HR says.

Great product, terrible management

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR

I have been working at Netflix as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Free subscription, relatively high pay for the work, fun atmosphere

Cons

Completely mismanaged, focus on average call time rather than customer service

I understand labor is expensive, but customer service is more important than cost. Rather than outsourcing to 3rd party call centers that don't know how to answer generic questions about your service and worrying about getting customers off the line, direct those calling to educated representatives who can help them with any issue and not worry about call times. Granted, you don't want people carrying out personal conversations all day, but helping an elderly customer who is not tech savvy or trying to handle a complex billing issue should not be penalized as those are the customers you want to help in order to retain their business.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very good learning experience at a cost of a lot of heartache

Former Employee - Customer Service Supervisor III  in  Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Customer Service Supervisor III in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Netflix full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Pay and benefits. They typically pay above scale and provide benefits from the time you become a full time employee.

Cons

Management, on several occasions missed their mark on several key initiatives in the center. Specifically they never had a clue what was happening on the floor in regards to employee satisfaction and were never involved in developing employees to rank up.

"Manage up or out" was stated on several occasions and this approach is what developed a culture of fear in the call center. High turnover is never a positive motivating factor and management was quick to let go of the people who stood against that ideal.

I would share advice but management seems to agree with Hastings' approach of shooting from the hip and not listening to his trusted advisors.

Was sad to see the company change so much in one year

Former Employee - Customer Service Supervisor  in  Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Customer Service Supervisor in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Netflix full-time for more than a year

Pros

Lots of room to make your own decisions and think on your feet

Cons

When the price change occurred it was a cluster bomb that went off. Then it was announced the company was splitting to two (one DVD and one Streaming) and then it was announced none of that was happening. All the while customers were up in arms over this and we in management were always finding things out at the same time customers were so we had no time to prep our staff. Some very hard months for moral with our staff. Lost a lot of trust with our employee base in terms of management to subordinate relations.

Make sure your mid-level management knows anything key before the public gets it through the blogs, etc. They have to have time to prep their staff and gain buy-in to make a successful transition occur with company changes and/or snaffus.

Stressful, fast, with lots of attrition.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative  in  Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Netflix full-time for less than a year

Pros

Bleeding edge tech company, with great product.

Cons

Management cares more about metrics than your work/life balance. The buck always get's passed downhill.

Invest time into long term employees.

Netflix was a good place to work.

Former Employee - Instant Watch Customer Service  in  Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Instant Watch Customer Service in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Netflix full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pay was excellent. All of the tools were available to do the job that needed to be done.

Cons

Many customers did not understand how to use Instant View, and it was often difficult to explain.

Training is fun but then the real nightmare starts...

Former Employee - Netflix Customer Service Representative  in  Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Netflix Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Netflix part-time for less than a year

Pros

Free food handed out a lot, casual dress code, lots of people in their 20s that you can relate to.

Cons

Very confusing attendance policy. If you're not a permanent employee yet basically, you miss a day or two, they'll fire you. Very little support from upper management when dealing with customers. Impossible sometimes to get assistance with problems though they advise that you get their help when needed. I was so stressed from continuously being threatened by my supervisor that I might lose my job I couldn't stand it. If you want to have any sort of healthy work environment, don't work here.

Figure out an attendance policy and stick to it & be absolutely clear. Don't treat your employees like they don't matter either. People will find out & not want to give you business.

Their call center is a meat grinder

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR

I have been working at Netflix full-time for less than a year

Pros

Free Netflix account. You also get free self-worth and self-esteem draining sessions with management.

Cons

Insane high turn-over. Lack of support from management..

Only thing consistent is being unconsistent

Former Employee - CSR-1  in  Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - CSR-1 in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Netflix as a contractor for more than a year

Pros

Free account good people supervisors when not being forced to d e'er ink the cool aid were very good

Cons

Never on the same page upper management lies was told multiple times even the day before that my job was safe woke up the next day and was jobless.

Don't lie to employees and stop blaming poor company decisons on your employees as a reason to let them go

Worked for Netflix? Contribute to the Community!