Netflix

Updated Jul 5, 2014

Netflix Founder, Chairman and CEO Reed Hastings

Reed Hastings

149 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

You will experience freedom and responsibility

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Los Gatos, CA

ProsHands down the best place I've ever worked. They treat you like an adult. You are allowed to determine your path at the company and given the freedom to do what you think is best. You are also awarded with above-market salaries.

ConsPeople who need a lot of hand holding will not do well.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep doing what you are doing.

For Engineers, this place is a joke

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)
    Los Gatos, CA

ProsYou're given independence and the ability to do your job how you see fit - some of the time. Most of the time management runs around like a chicken with their collective head cut off and priorities constantly change.

Cons- The salaries are competitive, but not particularly high, despite what their so called slide deck proclaims. Keep in mind that your stock purchase and "bonus" is included, so $160k at Google is the same as $210k at Netflix.

- Constant threats of firing, a culture of fear and throwing other employees under the bus to save your own skin. The threats of firing lead to crunch and absurd stress levels.

- Employees aren't as intelligent as other high tech firms, they're hired more for the ability to play corporate politics than technical skill.

- To follow on the above, the average stay here seems to be about a year. Understand that Netflix isn't an engineering company, it's an entertainment company and a fragile streaming infrastructure and clunky front end is built to consume that entertainment. But content is king, not the technology, and it never will be.

Advice to Senior ManagementI'd recommend working on technology a bit more. With the continual turnover and exodus of engineers, the technology and products are a house of cards.

Bright people who are fun to work with in very high-performance culture

Vice President (Former Employee)
    Los Gatos, CA

ProsWalk the walk consistent with the well-articulated culture.
    Very focused.
    Clear, well-articulated strategy with very good execution against it.
    Very transparent, both internally and externally.

ConsA bit of a culture of fear articulated as "the sniper in the building" as some new hires and long-time employees are either bad fit or fail to grow, and are subsequently let go. Culture emphasizes experimentation, which includes needed organizational experiments, and this type of experimentation also reinforces the fear. Again, most of this well-articulated in culture deck, so no surprise.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep hiring and growing stars across all areas of the company.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent work environment

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Los Gatos, CA

ProsThe best part about working at Netflix is the people. I've worked at both Microsoft and Amazon before coming to Netflix, and the people at Netflix are of a higher quality. Each person seems to be very good at what they do, and I feel like I can learn from them. I never realized before what a joy it is to work with great people. Other great things about Netflix are high salary and free meals.

ConsThere isn't much of a career path. If you want to be a manager or director, you might not have much success at Netflix. I view Netflix as a place where people come to work during the day and then go home to their families at night.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake the stock price go back up!

Worrisome. Always feeling that I was going to be next.

Manager (Former Employee)
    Los Gatos, CA

Pros-Freedom and Responsibility
    -Able to telecommute

Cons-Very (VERY) cut throat
    -Upper management doesn't support staff
    -HR allows upper management to oust existing employees when a new director is hired and wants to bring his former staff over

Advice to Senior Management-Show a little more respect towards employees that actually follow the company values and culture
    -Management does not practice what they preach (my 360 review from my manager was awesome, however, I managed to hear through the grapevine that he was unhappy with my performance)

Great salary, bad culture.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros•  Great compensation package
    •  Free lunch
    •  Free cell phone

Cons•  The company culture is very cold hearted, they let people go ALL THE TIME, sometimes for good
       reasons, most of the time not.
    •  The environment is extremely political that makes it hard to focus on doing a good job.
    •  A lot of employees are rather negative about the workplace and very open about looking for a job.

Demanding and rewarding

Los Gatos, CA

ProsNetflix expects the best of everyone, pushes us to be as great as possible, and is extremely candid with feedback and advice to help realize that objective.

ConsDon't expect to kick back - it's a demanding environment. That said, it's not ell encompassing - there's room for a real life outside work too.

Advice to Senior ManagementFocus on the future, and don't regret lessons learned from the past.

Sword of Damocles

Director (Former Employee)
    Los Gatos, CA

Pros- great physical work environment in Los Gatos
    - great co workers: highly motivated, intelligent, impressive experiences. Netflix hires people at the peak of their games
    - at the time (2007-2010), it was an exciting time of growth in the online streaming space, with consistent growth in the DVD space; fun to be on the cutting edge, and high growth.
    - great compensation; employees are well paid

Cons- there is a constant sword of damocles (i.e. the threat of removal) hanging over your head. even when you think you are doing well, you can be released unexpectedly, at a moment's notice. (this results in a culture of fear)
    - there is no career path; Netflix hires you to perform a job, and once that job is over, it's easier for them to let you go rather than retrain or relocate you.
    - this is not the place to be if you want work/life balance; not family friendly

Advice to Senior Management- missteps from a year ago (i.e. 2011 - Qwikster) have caused a loss of confidence in management
    - there are still lots of people in the US that want to rent DVDs; much better selection, and much better accessibility. It feel like Netflix is now content to ignore them and move on. What happened to the great customer service that built the brand?

The best design culture I have ever been in.

Creative Director (Current Employee)
    Los Gatos, CA

ProsInnovation is not hampered by unnecessary process. Designs are not approved by executives or committee they are approved by the users. This is an environment that promotes creativity.

ConsYou must be able to let your work go. For every test that wins 4 other designs fail. Being able to learn from designs that fail is difficult to do when you are emotionally invested in them.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive highly talented, less experienced, candidates an opportunity to interview. Raw talent, in a fully formed adult, at a great company yields great results.

Best place I have ever worked

Director of Engineering (Current Employee)
    Los Gatos, CA

ProsLeading edge technology, not afraid to do things differently if it makes sense, agile and low process overhead for getting things done. Clear focus on a simple business model, with clear responsibilities and freedom on how to deliver.

ConsYou have to be comfortable with rapid change, ambiguity and have enough self confidence to cope with the culture. It's not a place for people who like to know what the rules are and follow them.

Worked for Netflix? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Netflix reviews and ratings in Los Gatos, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Netflix CEO Reed Hastings. All 149 reviews posted anonymously by Netflix employees.