Netflix Reviews in Los Gatos, CA

Updated October 3, 2014
3.7

Netflix Founder, Chairman and CEO Reed Hastings
Reed Hastings

Pros
  • Work atmosphere is awesome with lot of freedom and responsibility (in 30 reviews)

• Good Pay & Fact paced work environment (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Netflix makes no secret about it's high performance culture, which results in a very high turnover (in 18 reviews)

• IT IS LITERALLY TRUE THAT IT IS CULTURE OF FEAR, no matter how talented you are (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

157 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work if you are driven

Current Employee - Senior Research Engineer in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Research Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very collaborative environment, great colleagues, great pay, people are adults.

Cons

You have to be self-driven and proactive to get trained, and a lot of training is on the job, but this is by design.

My time at Netflix

Former Employee - Quality Control in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Quality Control in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Netflix was very kind to me. The environment was very friendly and relaxed. They cared about my health by providing a healthy salad lunch on a daily basis and a well stocked snack room.

Cons

My biggest complaint was that I could not work there for a lengthier time. They were flexible with my real life emergencies and situation. The leadership listened and understood any concerns I may have had.

I hope you guys kept doing what you were doing.

Coordinator

Current Employee - Coordinator in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great place to work, shuttle, food and respectful professional co-workers. Deliverables are realistic and my manager is very supportive.

Cons

I support a lot of people and sometimes the environment can be stressful. So far, everything is manageable.

Great place to work, but not for everyone

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Little to no micromanagement. Control and ownership of software components you are responsible for. Exceptional compensation. Incredible vacation policy.

Cons

Not for everyone - developers who like working independently and without much guidance will thrive here. Developers who are used to being given specific assignments and lots of structure might crash and burn (and get fired). Extremely stressful working situations at times as you will be responsible for a lot and might not have backup, and potential for very long hours. If you don't have the courage to ask for your vacations you might not get any (no formal vacation policy).

Finding the right balance between an unstructured work environment and micromanaging everything is hard, but it's possible that management at NFLX keeps things too much on the unstructured site.

Best Company I have worked at!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Freedom & Responsibility Culture
    - Almost zero politics
    - No Employee Reviews (Hire & keep the best)
    - High Quality co-workers

Cons

- Not much except that towards the end, had a useless manager

It's not "if" you will be let go, it's "when".

Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Administrator in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Leeway to learn and gain experience with diverse technology.
    Pay was above market.
    Work with fantastic people.
    Free subscription & good "product".

Cons

People are treated like toilet paper. It is not a "family", this is true, but it is not a "team", either. The group I worked in processed hires & fires access rights: I have never seen so many people fired, without warning, while they were ON vacation - leaving our group to receive and deal with calls from confused people (some of them Directors of hubs), who returned ready for work to no access and no information on what was happening.
    Lousy communication between groups.
    Excessively High turnover - instead of leveraging employee knowledge & experience - people are overworked, used up, & thrown out like trash - the alumni group should read "NETFLIX PTSD Group".
    80 hr work week *minimum*.
    No work-life balance.
    I had 4 managers in 1year of employment & the entire team I was on was replaced during that time and (you guessed it) one of the most awesome employees was fired while he was *ON* vacation: *THAT* was extremely awkward, as he was stellar...it was just a regime change.

As if they care what former employees think: Treat people like human beings and show some basic respect. Have *meaningful* employee-management meetings and encourage open communication instead of the "keep doing what you're doing" until people are blindsided by termination.

Stay Away

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good "brand" for your resume, I guess. Outsiders will be impressed, if only because the PR machine has been in overdrive convincing people that this is still an innovative company. But a stock price bubble does not equal innovation.

Cons

Most of the honest reviews on here (meaning those not written by HR) have already covered it, but it's a terrible place to work - a pressure-cooker environment full of overpaid but insecure bosses who manage through fear and intimidation. Crazy high turnover in every group, lots of good people getting pushed out all the time by their managers. Then those people are blamed and insulted once they're gone and unable to defend themselves. The company also stopped innovating long ago. The salary, though substantial, is not worth it, especially when you see the C-level insiders routinely cashing out millions in shares like thieves in the night. Hmmm, what do they know that everyone else doesn't? Look elsewhere - there are many other more humane, ethical, and socially rewarding places to get paid well...like Wall Street.

Keep selling as many shares as possible before the Wall Street lemmings finally figure you guys out. You have done a great job of this so far.

Ok place to work. Very little training.

Former Employee - IT Dispacher in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - IT Dispacher in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Very tech savvy environment. Everyone gets a cell phone when hired including contractors. Lots of technical goodies to play with. Launch day parties were cool. Most people seemed laid back. Unlimited vacation.

Cons

Very little training for the job, with minimal direction. I felt like I was just thrown in and expected to swim.

More training and support for the employees. More structure.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

* Freedom & Responsibility culture. Everyone in the company knows the company's direction well. We are responsible for helping the company move to the right direction and we are free to choose how to help the company.
    * Transparency. The management team spends time with everyone in the company explaining how the company operates.

Cons

* No training program. You are on your own to improve your technique skills.

I hope that the top management get more feedbacks from everyone in the company. We are a very focused company. However we may find another big thing if we spend some resources on innovative ideas, which do not match the company's focus.

Fast paced, intense environment

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (more than an year)

Pros

-Really smart, motivated, and reliable team members
    -Great salary
    -You'll learn a lot from the people you work with
    -Fantastic product

Cons

-Senior management makes decisions without checking in with the SME's within the company.
    -People get fired much faster without much warning. If you have a good manager, you will be happy to have the people who aren't pulling their weight gone quickly without causing too many problems.
    -It's hard to leave the office during the day, if needed. There is a big focus on face time.

-Before implementing an idea, check with your highly compensated SME's.
    -Make sure you are listening to and keeping a pulse on your customers.
    -Give employees more trust so that the high performers don't constantly feel like they could be fired for any small mistake. This kind of fear leads to a nervous, management pleasing environment.