Netflix

149 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Performance rewarded

Supervisor (Current Employee)
    Los Gatos, CA

ProsNetflix has created a very competitive culture that promotes and drives innovation.

ConsHaving a very competitive work environment can get into the way of a healthy work/life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe Netflix values encompass traits you would find beneficial with any employee.

Great place to work

Senior Data Engineer (Current Employee)
    Los Gatos, CA

ProsCulture of freedom and responsibility, brilliant coworkers,

ConsThere are no cons here

Sr. Weblogic Architect

Senior Weblogic Architect (Former Employee)
    Los Gatos, CA

ProsNice company to work with NetFlix. No body compete salary in the Bay Area. Good Environment. You will get nice free lunch every day.

ConsNetflix have to improve from Management Side..

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Best place to work for great engineers

Los Gatos, CA

ProsIt's like working for a very well funded startup.
    If you're good, this company will boost your career lightyears ahead.
    Compensation and perks are just right. No lavish lunches, just good organic food to keep you focused on business. No laundry service. It's not taking over your life.
    Very fast growing company. Lots of room to grow and lots of opportunity (if you look).
    Visibility - top down, you see everything. There are no secrets in this company. Very helpful if you know how to use this to your advantage.

ConsIf you're not good, you won't survive here.
    If you have issues with your people skills, you won't survive here.
    If you need hand-holding, someone to constantly point you in the right direction, you'll be directed to the door (while holding your hand).
    You'll have to manage your work/life balance. Some people just don't know what 'unlimited vacation' means.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up the great work.

Like living inside an MBA case study

Director (Current Employee)
    Los Gatos, CA

ProsManagement is not afraid to experiment and try new things. Rapid development. High trust culture. Inventing the future.

ConsIf you don't like change, ambiguity or are uncomfortable in a place where you get to use your own judgement a lot, it wouldn't be a good fit.

Best Job to date

User Experience Designer (Current Employee)
    Los Gatos, CA

ProsBest company culture I have ever seen. "Freedom and Responsibility" is their guiding phrase here and it is true. They expect you to do you job and give you the freedom to do it as you see fit. Have never felt more empowered as a designer.

ConsCan get political in certain situations, but it is a large organization. Makes you grow to understand the business side of things.

The most rewarding environment

Director (Current Employee)
    Los Gatos, CA

ProsIncredibly talented, smart, driven coworkers across every function of the organization. Unusually organized and efficiently run. Feel lucky if you get the opportunity to be part of such an amazing place and such an incredible time. It is rare.

ConsNew head of Talent is not the right person to be leading and shaping the culture of Netflix. There are many concerns echoed about her throughout the company and worries that with her at the helm, the sacred secret sauce will start to spoil.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe critical throughout the leadership team in addition to the rest of the organization when it comes to A players. Also, it might be time to step back and reevaluate the way compensation is structured. Many folks have voiced being frustrated and dissatisfied in their roles but acknowledge they are paid higher than anywhere else so chose to stay.

Netflix Finance

Senior Manager Content Accounting (Current Employee)
    Los Gatos, CA

Pros1) Great culture and people.
    2) Lots of freedom with appropriate level of responsibility.
    3) Pay top of market.
    4) No vacation policy which adds to the freedom.
    5) Love the business we're in and how we're changing an industry
    6) No politics or at least not very noticeable
    7) Again, great people!

Cons1) No more ESPP offered

Advice to Senior Management1) Bring back ESPP

Big company with the heart of a startup

Los Gatos, CA

Pros-Lots of room for innovation. The technologies are fairly new and broad, and there is no bureaucracy and requirements to get approval from top management. Innovation can start at the IC level.
    -Great compensation. Talent is rewarded generously. I started the job on a large salary, then within 6 months, my manager decided to give me a hefty raise to reward my contributions.
    -Nice work environment: bleeding edge hardware, new devices always available to play with even before they hit the market, kitchenette well stocked with snacks, drinks and fruits
    -Smart coworkers
    -Transparency about company strategies all the way from exec level to you direct lead level

Cons-This company isn't great for people who are starting their career. Training is minimal, and the expectation is that you take educating and training yourself into your own hands, which could be a bit of a challenge to some. If you do not possess the knowledge and the talent to be a good problem solver, don't expect management to train you on solving things.
    -Job stability could be a concern at times - but as long as you continue to innovate, and stay professional, it shouldn't be a big concern
    -The packaged free lunch isn't on par with the buffets at other silicon valley software companies like Facebook and Google - but it's still free though, so can't complain much

Advice to Senior ManagementWe're the reigning champions of video delivery, to all platforms. We reach more than 25 million households. We have so much potential for developing new innovations. Invest more in research and trials of radically new ideas. I'm not talking about incremental improvements to the streaming experience, I'm talking about making our customers say "WOW!", I'm talking about disrupting markets. Take risks! But please don't make another Quikster - that was pretty stupid, like you all said :)

Know yourself, then manage your path accordingly

Los Gatos, CA

ProsBrilliant co-workers, opportunities to have a direct impact, minimal nit-picking bureaucracy or corporate policies, dynamic energy as the company continually evolves. Company does pretty well as removing doofuses and not hiring jerks. For the saavy employee, you can move into some great opportunities as the company grows and adapts. Upper management is very transparent (even when sometimes they don't make the best call -- e.g. Qwikster).

ConsDynamic environment does not work for a 'do my work and go home' employee or those who just want to show up and be told what to do. Middle and lower management can be a crap shoot -- seek out a great boss (there's many at Netflix) and avoid the bad ones (unfortunately, Netflix has those too). There is a level of 'playing the game' but not to an extent that I'd say is greater than anywhere else. Corporate philosophy does not emphasize coaching (but does not ban it) -- so you need to seek out your own mentors or strengthen your team (if you're a lead) by figuring out career/skills grown on your own.

Worked for Netflix? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Netflix reviews and ratings in Los Gatos, CA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Netflix CEO Reed Hastings. All 149 reviews posted anonymously by Netflix employees.