Netflix Reviews

Love my job

Current Employee - QA Engineer in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - QA Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

- Constant Learning
    - Keeps me on my toes
    - not a process oriented company. Keeps things simple.

Cons

- moving too fast. Chasing a moving target.

Haste makes waste, and don't let the door hit you on the ass on your way out.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Open engineering discussions.
    Love new technologies.
    Willing to take on risks.

Cons

Willing to take on risks but mistakes are costly.

Slow down, don't try to force round pegs into square holes.

Was once a Superstar now very much adrift.

I have been working at Netflix full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Fairly New Technology, Smart Talent, Free food and iphones. This place will certainly wow you in technology and some of the best talent, Good compensation.

Cons

lousy vacation policy(get real, no vacation policy - no vacation), very stressful work environment, little to no career opportunities if you are hired as an engineer, Chaos everywhere - High Turnover always affects your work one way or the other.

About time you should check your champion badge, it may have expired. Qwikster was a debacle. But the hiring cycle afterwards brought some worse incompetent middle management. Open door policy and summary dismissals might have worked for us in the past when we were a DVD business, but it definitely is hurting us - Bay is a very small place. Your talent is leaving(or about to leave), others are simply not interested in working with us. If you dont believe me, ask why recruiters always have to bring talent from outside silicon valley. Promote openness, talent and healthy work environment - not mediocre middle management's words. Please bring back the culture from 3 years ago.

The most rewarding environment

Current Employee - Director in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Director in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Incredibly talented, smart, driven coworkers across every function of the organization. Unusually organized and efficiently run. Feel lucky if you get the opportunity to be part of such an amazing place and such an incredible time. It is rare.

Cons

New head of Talent is not the right person to be leading and shaping the culture of Netflix. There are many concerns echoed about her throughout the company and worries that with her at the helm, the sacred secret sauce will start to spoil.

Be critical throughout the leadership team in addition to the rest of the organization when it comes to A players. Also, it might be time to step back and reevaluate the way compensation is structured. Many folks have voiced being frustrated and dissatisfied in their roles but acknowledge they are paid higher than anywhere else so chose to stay.

6. Best Job to date

Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - User Experience Designer in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Best company culture I have ever seen. "Freedom and Responsibility" is their guiding phrase here and it is true. They expect you to do you job and give you the freedom to do it as you see fit. Have never felt more empowered as a designer.

Cons

Can get political in certain situations, but it is a large organization. Makes you grow to understand the business side of things.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great colleagues..... very smart, hard working, and very helpful across all the various teams. Work atmosphere is awesome with lot of freedom and responsibility. Pay is awesome too.

Cons

Promotions are rare and can take a while to get.

8. Netflix Finance

Current Employee - Senior Manager Content Accounting in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager Content Accounting in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

1) Great culture and people.
    2) Lots of freedom with appropriate level of responsibility.
    3) Pay top of market.
    4) No vacation policy which adds to the freedom.
    5) Love the business we're in and how we're changing an industry
    6) No politics or at least not very noticeable
    7) Again, great people!

Cons

1) No more ESPP offered

1) Bring back ESPP

Excellent Pay & Fast paced work environment

Current Employee - Senior BI Architect in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Senior BI Architect in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good Pay & Fact paced work environment

Cons

Fast paced a work environment and no additional perks

Big company with the heart of a startup

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

-Lots of room for innovation. The technologies are fairly new and broad, and there is no bureaucracy and requirements to get approval from top management. Innovation can start at the IC level.
    -Great compensation. Talent is rewarded generously. I started the job on a large salary, then within 6 months, my manager decided to give me a hefty raise to reward my contributions.
    -Nice work environment: bleeding edge hardware, new devices always available to play with even before they hit the market, kitchenette well stocked with snacks, drinks and fruits
    -Smart coworkers
    -Transparency about company strategies all the way from exec level to you direct lead level

Cons

-This company isn't great for people who are starting their career. Training is minimal, and the expectation is that you take educating and training yourself into your own hands, which could be a bit of a challenge to some. If you do not possess the knowledge and the talent to be a good problem solver, don't expect management to train you on solving things.
    -Job stability could be a concern at times - but as long as you continue to innovate, and stay professional, it shouldn't be a big concern
    -The packaged free lunch isn't on par with the buffets at other silicon valley software companies like Facebook and Google - but it's still free though, so can't complain much

We're the reigning champions of video delivery, to all platforms. We reach more than 25 million households. We have so much potential for developing new innovations. Invest more in research and trials of radically new ideas. I'm not talking about incremental improvements to the streaming experience, I'm talking about making our customers say "WOW!", I'm talking about disrupting markets. Take risks! But please don't make another Quikster - that was pretty stupid, like you all said :)

Senior Software Engineer

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

* Best place if you just want to work with great technically capable folks.
    * 15-20% higher pay but if you actually consider everything, it might not be that big of a deal. Check what will be in-hand salary after taxes because taxes also go high with salary.
    * Somewhat transparent workplace but at times higher management takes ridiculous decisions like Quickster, what the hell....
    * Reed gets thing right most of the time (except Quickster) and understand what he is doing.

Cons

* Worst place where all technically capable folks are also so heavy on political games within the team. Also it depends on which team you are part of. My general observation is, larger the team greater the politics being played within.
    * IT IS LITERALLY TRUE THAT IT IS CULTURE OF FEAR, no matter how talented you are. I have seen ppl being walked out they were far more talented than other mediocre engineers surviving there for 3-4 years just because they lick the managers a*s and I have seen managers loving it being licked :)
    * Few managers who came from Google or some other similar companies, think that they know everything in the world and act as if they rule the world but actually they are literally dumb a*s when it comes to real work.
    * They claim it is all rockstar engineers and the fire who are not but I have seen ppl surviving for ages not even knowing what they did for all these years at Netflix and they are pure mediocre engineers.
    * My advice to engineers would be if you are happy with the work what you are doing right now or with other offers in hand, don't fall for the salary trap, it is merely an illusion.

* Gets rid of all mediocre managers, directors and those stupid engineers.
    * Change the culture of fear from its root because that creates so much politics inside. I have never seen such a political environment in my 10 yrs career.