Netflix Reviews

Reset
3.6
Netflix Founder, Chairman and CEO Reed Hastings
Reed Hastings

Pros
  • Freedom and Responsibility culture works the best (in 31 reviews)

• Good Pay & Fact paced work environment (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • You know you're in a culture of fear when the person training your group talks about how they were nearly fired (in 17 reviews)

• The work-life balance is sometimes hard to manage (in 17 reviews)

Best place I've ever worked

I worked at Netflix full-time

Pros

"Freedom and Responsibility" rings mostly true, although you'd have to be stupid to not realize it isn't 100% true always and in everything. Simple, indisputable example: you can't decide how much you make, yourself. That's an obvious statement, yet it proves there definitely are no-goes and as such, gray areas. In practice, it hasn't been an issue for me--just clarifying. You want X number of monitors, Y super-amazing-computer, come in at 11am, leave at 4pm, take numerous vacations, ask (and receive a real answer!) dang near anything about what movies/shows they're secretly bidding on in Hollywood, etc, etc. Not only things a reasonable person would want to do/have, more like a well spoiled person. This all assumes you are communicating this with your team and performing well above average--Netflix does *not* knowingly hire junior, mid-level, or wannabe-senior engineers. I haven't personally seen a bunch of people get fired, but of the one or two I've seen, it was not surprising. I have noticed some teams are more critical of performance than others. Like any company of a decent size, not every team has exactly the same culture. Mine was absolutely wonderful day-to-day. My managers help you and coordinate, more than "manage" me, which is huge just by itself. To this point, most engineering managers I know of aren't really programmers, which I think is a huge bonus because there is far less risk of them wanting to micromanage projects and implementation details. That said, they are ALL very very technical and can fairly trivially smell BS. Salary: you'll be more than happy as far as I've heard from co-workers. For me, they made it impossible for me to ever even consider leaving because of salary. Almost every place I've worked prior, I had at some point felt underpaid. Not here, I felt very much appreciated and paid as such. Summary: YMMV, like in every big company, but seriously that's super important to understand, but my experience was amazing and by far the best place I've ever worked, all things considered. I left for personal reasons that aren't related to Netflix--wife/family stuff.

Cons

If you're not a high performer, but you manage to sneak in, the fear of being canned could certainly be real since YOU WILL inevitably be discovered. But don't second guess yourself. It should be obvious whether or not you are a high performer. Sometimes discussions on the Freedom and Responsibility culture turns sort of cult-like. With a select number of people, questioning its real-world implications has been met with very clear disgust, almost denial. Very rare, though. For me was trivial to brush off.

Advice to Management

Do: continue soliciting feedback both positive and negative/constructive. Do continue to hire top-tier talent only. Do continue tweaking the culture. Don't: continue having 360s, some how foster year-long feedback instead. Don't use terms or policies defined as "unlimited", which is in practice about as "unlimited" as AT&T's data plans were in 2011. It makes almost every coworker I talked to uncertain about what it means in practice and of course made things vary among teams.

Awesome company to work for

I have been working at Netflix full-time

Pros

- Best in the industry. Always on the edge.

Cons

- Nothing comes to mind. All is good.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

Gstr

Former Employee - Global Support Technician in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Global Support Technician in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, fun place to work.

Cons

Nothing bad to say

Advice to Management

NO MORE SHIFT CHANGES..

Not quite what it hopes to be....

Pros

Great vision for the company. Amazing engineering team.

Cons

Major discrepancies in commitment to culture deck. Says one thing but often does another. Not consistent across different teams.

A dream company to work for

Current Employee - QA Engineer in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - QA Engineer in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Awesome benefits -Competitive salary -Freedom to be creative and work as one sees fit with minimal supervision -Many other perks as expected from Silicon Valley

Cons

-There aren't any "Cons", it's all good!

Advice to Management

Keep doing exactly what you're doing!

Senior Software Engineer

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

High base salary; high competitive technologies; very talent co-works

Cons

Everything seems to be ad-hoc and move way too fast. The technical manager are very aggressive but sometime lacking the log-term vision for the tream. No job security. Even the Directors and VPs can be let go anytime.

Advice to Management

Consolidate you long-term vision, not just short-term solutions. Facilitate your team member's career development, not just use them like a contractor.

a job but not a career

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Las Vegas, NV
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Las Vegas, NV

I worked at Netflix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice coworkers and down to earth management, that really knew how to make employees feel valuable.

Cons

Customers could be pretty nasty sometimes, when their internet was way to sloooooow to stream movies.

9. Good mornings

Former Employee - Disc Return in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Disc Return in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Netflix part-time (More than a year)

Pros

They were very flexible, got free Netflix account while employed, good pay for part time, nice people to work with.

Cons

Very early hours if you're not a morning person.

10. n/a

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frisco, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frisco, TX

I have been working at Netflix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I totally loved it the people are wonderful truly love it.

Cons

No cons the job was totally wonderful and understanding.

Advice to Management

N/a

11. "Job, but not Career"

Current Employee - Customer Support Specialist in Fremont, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Support Specialist in Fremont, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Call center job, great supervisor and a lot of coaching opportunity! Ok pay, for a college student or someone without a college degree.

Cons

Call center job, answer up to 80 plus calls a day

Advice to Management

Listen and act upon supervisor's advise !

RSS Feed </> Embed