Netflix

Updated November 24, 2014
3.7

Netflix Founder, Chairman and CEO Reed Hastings
Reed Hastings

Pros
  • Work atmosphere is awesome with lot of freedom and responsibility (in 30 reviews)

• Good Pay & Fact paced work environment (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Netflix makes no secret about it's high performance culture, which results in a very high turnover (in 18 reviews)

• IT IS LITERALLY TRUE THAT IT IS CULTURE OF FEAR, no matter how talented you are (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

An incredible environment that will definitely make you grow as a professional

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked for Netflix for 3 years. As most of reviews say, it is incredible to see how open and honest the culture is. The company is still pretty flat for its size, and you can feel your impact on initiatives you work on. Development moves very fast and our cycles are short and iterative. Multiple 6-month long projects in other companies get out the door in a matter of a few weeks.

I definitely feel like reviews on Glassdoor do not make justice to the Netflix environment. Yes, there is a lot of work, but I do not feel people get let go all the time, or that anyone would feel scared of being fired without reason. People do not get let go without fair warning. Everyone I know that has been let go so far saw it coming and recognizes it is the best for both them and the company. I find it hard to believe sometimes we have to overcome people's fears in that aspect. And newcomers realize very fast there is a myth and feel great to have joined.

In short, it is a remarkable, fair and candid company and I am thrilled to have joined and I plan to go nowhere in the next 5 years.

Cons

I agree there is no career plan or defined development, but then again, this translates into a lot of freedom to forge your own path. Plus, people who are hired are usually senior, so I feel there is less of a need for a strict career plan. When you work at Netflix, you are exposed to so much that it is easy to explain why you grow so much in a short period of time.

One of the biggest fears within the company is that our amazing culture gets diluted as we grow, so it is important to continue investing to keep the culture alive.

Culture Deck Is Real

Current Employee - Content Operations Manager in Beverly Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Content Operations Manager in Beverly Hills, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Being part of an innovative and transparent company has kept me working here for several years. Not only do I love what I do, but what keeps me here is the environment. We live out the culture deck. Politics do not prohibit me from doing my job or speaking out when I have a recommendation on what could be better. Collaboration is encouraged, and it's easy to do when you have high-performing peers and understanding managers.

Cons

None to reference at this time.

Keep up with the great transparency.

Netflix knows what they want you to do and how to let you do it

Former Employee - QA Engineer in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - QA Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

The QA department when I was there was small and friendly. They give you plenty of flexibility to do the job the way it needs to be done without lots of micromanagement.

Cons

Not a lot of job security or advancement potential. If you can't produce the kind of results they're looking for you won't last long, and even if you do you probably won't move up much unless you really really want to.

A roller coaster ride of excitement and stress

I have been working at Netflix full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent salary, smart people, great time flexibility, satisfying projects. The company values of freedom and responsibility are really like treating employees like adults and trusting them to execute the best overall decisions for the company, which is effective when enough context is given. Innovation and experimentation is rewarded well and many opportunities for ongoing education are offered.

Cons

Internal politics. Lots of blame game behavior played as subtly (yet transparently if you pay attention) as possible. Some managers spend too much time in the code instead of managing their team. I had the experience of offering many recommendations for improving team performance and not having them implemented because the culture here is to just do what you want and either get rewarded hugely or sacked. Management coaching appears to be improving, but inconsistently applied. I've seen people who need to be let go stay on for a long time with many opportunities to change and people who were very competent let go without much warning that they need to change something. I've also seen projects executed that solved the business problems presented but were dropped because management didn't like it rather than some other specific reasons.

Management is not about process, I think Netflix has that correct. Excellent management is about getting problems out of the way of employees so that they can excel and about managing interpersonal conflicts so that a team can leverage one another's strengths to push the team higher than before. I think this element is missing on some teams at Netflix and that there is too much emphasis on daily high performance (important) and little building of loyalty or camaraderie.

Well treated, enjoyable environment.

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (more than an year)

Pros

* Culture deck is very close to accurate. From my experience, few things have differed from the information available publicly.
    * Exceptional senior management. They keep the company on course, share information freely, are incredibly knowledgable, and open to answering any employee questions. I have never been more impressed with a senior management team.
    * Comp and benefits are outstanding. I started about a year ago and since then the company has increased my salary by over 50%. And it was already high when I started.
    * Good work-life balance and unlimited time off.

Cons

* No formalized training or advancement. If you want to try out different teams or roles this isn't the place.
    * No long-term career objectives. Nearly every single engineer has the same title so there is nothing to work towards. This also means no promotions (unless you're in management).
    * All engineering positions are based out of Los Gatos. If you live elsewhere in the Bay, hope you enjoy commuting.

Great place to work overall. My biggest request would be to provide the opportunity to work in other teams for the experience, learning, and novelty. I understand the "we're all senior here" mentality but it is also beneficial to have long-term objectives to work towards. I'd be much more likely to stay at a company if either of these things were available.

Solid Job, sad to see it's closing

Current Employee - CSR2 in Hillsboro, OR
    Current Employee - CSR2 in Hillsboro, OR

I have been working at Netflix full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Free Netflix, PTO, Good Vacation, Severance, Good Work-Life Balance

Cons

Talking to the general public, policies can be hard to deliver to customers, might close your Call Center

Senior Engineer

I worked at Netflix full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Great company to work for. Things to watch out are to ensure that you always deliver on time and to specification. No excuses.

Cons

They lay off at a very short notice and recycle 10% every quarter.

Worked through ascenda corp.

Former Employee - CSR-1 in Frisco, TX
    Former Employee - CSR-1 in Frisco, TX

I worked at Netflix full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Laid back, you can be yourself whether you have blue hair, tats all over your face or the like. Free Netflix for life! And easy to move up.

Cons

Some supervisors are very rude and pushy and stuck up. they will hire anybody.

Make sure some supervisors after properly trained before they ruin potential candidates.

Great culture, team, technology and innovation.

I have been working at Netflix full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Always innovating and moving forward.

Cons

I enjoy working here - no cons for me.

Great place to work if you are driven

Current Employee - Senior Research Engineer in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Research Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very collaborative environment, great colleagues, great pay, people are adults.

Cons

You have to be self-driven and proactive to get trained, and a lot of training is on the job, but this is by design.