Netflix Reviews

Employment Status

Reset
Netflix Founder, Chairman and CEO Reed Hastings
Reed Hastings

Pros
  • Freedom and Responsibility culture works the best (in 31 reviews)

• Good Pay & Fact paced work environment (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • You know you're in a culture of fear when the person training your group talks about how they were nearly fired (in 17 reviews)

• The work-life balance is sometimes hard to manage (in 17 reviews)

Netflix! The good, the bad and the ugly!

Current Employee - Senior Web Engineer in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Web Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

Netflix is a place where you are surrounded by some really great minds. I wouldn't even say that SOME of the people are good while others somehow seemed to 'slip' in. If you aren't one of the best in your line of work, I don't think you'll ever get in the door here. I've been here for a number of years and have had the privilege to work with some extremely bright people. As an employee (and part of a team), its good to know that whatever you are working on is going to be top notch because of who is working on it. Netflix also encourages you to learn and explore new technologies and expand your own knowledge base. At past companies this was always a problem. If something didn't directly relate to what you were working on... well you had to make excuses and come up with reasons why you wanted to try something new. At Netflix, they not only encourage it but really urge you to try to broaden your own skill set. Our paid time off policy is not to be beat... Netflix has none! No two weeks a year or so many days off for personal/sick leave GARBAGE. Instead, you just tell your manager that you wanted to take three weeks off next month and he says, okay have a good time. We'll see ya when you get back! How cool is that? Its all about Movies for me. I used to think I was a bit if a movie buff. Yeah, that was until I worked here and met real movie buff's. Meetings are filled with references to movies. In one of the team meetings I go to every week, you can count the number of Ferris Bueller's day off lines. $$$ Show me the money. Netflix really does pay well! I left my old job doing the EXACT same thing I do here.. the only difference is, I make X2 as much! I'd like to write more, but those reasons alone are pretty good.

Cons

When I first started, the head of HR said "Netflix is a high performance environment." Often, I feel like they have confused "high pressure" with "high performance", and believe me, there is a difference. Sometimes I feel like they overly eggagerate the importance of SOME features. I mean, no one is going to die on the table here guys.. its just a movie rental company. Our medical/health benefits are mediocre at best and HR doesn't seem to care that the majority of employees are totally dissatisfied with the offerings. After constant employee complaints on how high our benefit prices are, HR comes back with even higher prices this year while having even less coverage. I'm not buying the line they fed us either "benefits are more expensive everywhere across the country." Whatever.. if I gave that as an excuse why I didn't get a project completed on time, I'd be "talked to". Every year, we have this total JOKE of a per review process (360 reviews). You HAVE to rate your peers and get ratings back from the people you asked to rate you. From my experience, its totally pointless and a huge waste of time / energy across the company. If we spent even a quarter of the time and money it takes to run, manage, and maintain this 360 review process, we'd have double the amount of movies in our Watch Instantly offering. Don't come here thinking you'll rise through the ranks! That just doesn't happen here. Yes, there are a few people who have started out as individual contributors and risen to the higher ranks but for the most part, I've watched very talented people leave Netflix to get management positions else where and Netflix doesn't really care. When you accept a job here, it will most likely be in the same position for the rest of your time at Netflix. There is also a very big brother feel here.. Netflix HR is watching you. But maybe that's just me! People seem to 'disappear' sometimes!

Advice to Management

None really. I have been very impressed with what direction the company is going. Decisions that I thought were misguided have really turned out well. My only real gripe with Netflix is Benefits and HR!

this is a great company that could benefit from treating its talent better

Current Employee - Product Manager in San Jose, CA
    Current Employee - Product Manager in San Jose, CA

Pros

leader in the industry - on an upward climb, really intelligent leaders

Cons

zero professional growth and little insentive to go beyond the call of duty

Advice to Management

focus more on synergy, recognize and reward talent

be wary of the operations side of the business, much different approach than IT and Corp

Former Employee - Manager in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

young company changing the entertainment business

Cons

contrary opinions not welcomed or embraced for their relevance

Advice to Management

operations does not live by the 7 Great Reasons to work at Netflix

Great for a couple of years

Former Employee - Coordinator in Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Coordinator in Beverly Hills, CA

Pros

Benefits - good pay, stock purchase program, "unlimited" vacation days, free movies. Talent. The company is re-defining an industry by doing something that hasn't been done before.

Cons

No opportunity for advancement; no promotion from within. Upper management is lacking leadership skills. A great performance has no effect on job security. Difficult to maintain work/life balance because of the high-pressure, "high performance" culture. Job titles are deflated, which means that when you leave the company and go back into the job market, you will have a hard time finding another job that will pay you as much for the same title.

Advice to Management

Value all of your employees, including those at the bottom of the hierarchy. Reward loyalty and performance with regard to the way in which the individual wants to be rewarded.

Great for movie lovers without families

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA

Pros

If you love movies, this is a great place to be. Benefits and salary are very competitive. Lots of perks like free DVDS, snacks, drinks, etc. People are fun and creative.

Cons

Depending on what area you work in, your experience can be vastly different. You will watch your cubicle neighbor leave early to go to a movie, while you're late to pick up your kid from daycare because your manager thinks a 2-hour meeting should be scheduled for 5 p.m. and include the entire department, whether it's relevant to you or not. It's also really a sink or swim atmosphere - you even have to figure out how to find your own office supplies when you start.

Advice to Management

Ask exiting employees why they're leaving!

There's good and bad...just like anywhere else.

Current Employee - IT Ops Dork in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - IT Ops Dork in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

- Great compensation. - Free snacks. - Free swag. - Very little "red tape". - Lots of smart people.

Cons

- It's something of a meat-grinder, with lots of turnover. Especially within the IT-Operations organization. - Very little employee loyalty, save for a select few. - Despite the supposed "openness", the company is full of egos and whiners. - Lots of managers are just "geeks" who worked up from the trenches; thus lacking any real management ability.

Advice to Management

- Show more employee loyalty! - Learn to interview and hire "managers"; don't just blindly promote up. - If you want to get rid of people, get rid of whiny managers.

great company, limited career opportunities

Current Employee - Manager in Beverly Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Beverly Hills, CA

Pros

flexible vacation policy (days are not tracked) nice office with great technology (free drinks/sodas/snacks) interesting work free subscription work with extremely competent colleagues (high performance culture) great online dot com experience company is well-respected

Cons

no career path, limited opportunities for career advancement (those at the top stay, mid-level to entry-level employees tend to leave after a few years) very competitive work environment (high performance culture) high pressure, high stress (high performance culture) not enough support, work a lot of hours management is (openly) not concerned with morale (if you don't like it, leave) no job security (they are quick to lay off mediocre performers)

Advice to Management

Morale is important

9. Never regretted working there but definitely got out at the right time.

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Michigantown, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Michigantown, IN

Pros

Great compensation for those of us that started before Netflix became a household name. Some of the best benefits available; especially vacation time alloted after 90 days. Stock options that really turned into something. Begin able to say you work for Netflix. Everyone knows what it is now!

Cons

LONG hours and hours that never stabilized. Became a machine repair person at the hub; spending most of my time fixing equipment problems at the end. Had all the vacation in the world but almost impossible to get time off approved especially if you wanted to take multiple days in a row off.

Advice to Management

I appreciate the fact that in the early years you needed people that could handle the growth and expansion and you compensated them well but it is a shame you didn't see these people as an asset later on and let a lot of them go.

10. Be ready for the ride of your life!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

Pros

- Be ready to impressed with most of your coworkers. Most are rockstars! - Great surroundings and environment - Top notch equipment to work with - Consistent changes (usually for better) -- but can be a "con" too.

Cons

- Minimal opportunities for advancement - High Turnover - If you don't like change, you won't like the regular re-orgs (staff changes)

Advice to Management

Allow some opportunities for advancement to minimize high turnover

Hillsboro Call Center in Constant State of Flux

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR

Pros

* Decent pay rate * Medical, Dental, Vision benefits from date of hire * Free Netflix subscription at the highest plan * Retirement plan with matching * Employee Stock Purchase Plan (although they're threatening to take it away)

Cons

The Call Center is constantly changing. The people driving these changes will try to convince you that it's positive, innovative, progressive. I say those people are just coming up with ways to make themselves look like they're working hard. Granted, there have been some positive changes. But the recent reorganization that occurred with the latest shift bid? I used to have a competent supervisor who would help me when I needed it and who knew I was competent enough to handle most things. Now I have a supervisor who knows that I've been here two years and that my scores consistently put me in the top 50 performers ... but she tries to get out of taking escalations by giving me "tips" to de-escalate and telling me to go back to the customer with some compromise they've already declined. (Gee ... I think I have a good handle on how to de-escalate a call by now. If I'm asking my supervisor to take the call, I've done everything I can and the customer has asked for the manager. Just take the flippin' call, because sending me back onto the phone will just make the customer angrier and make sure they give a "no" response on that customer satisfaction survey. Awesome.) This latest re-org seemed to be completely geared toward shaking up teams that had just gotten into their groove; my old team had great combined scores and even though most of our shifts didn't change all that radically, we all got split up. It seems truly unnecessary.

Advice to Management

If it's not broken, stop trying to "fix" it. Change for the sake of change is a waste of resources. Stop treating your front line employees like they're expendable and they'll become more invested in their jobs. You've got some great performers in Hillsboro who get treated like trash. Give them a reason to stay with Netflix once the economy turns around again, because right now, I'm betting most of us would snatch up any other decent job offer that comes along.

RSS Feed </> Embed