Netflix Reviews

Updated October 21, 2014
3.7

Netflix Founder, Chairman and CEO Reed Hastings
Reed Hastings

Pros
  • Work atmosphere is awesome with lot of freedom and responsibility (in 30 reviews)

• Good Pay & Fact paced work environment (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Netflix makes no secret about it's high performance culture, which results in a very high turnover (in 18 reviews)

• IT IS LITERALLY TRUE THAT IT IS CULTURE OF FEAR, no matter how talented you are (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

I feel like I'm on a sinking ship...

Current Employee - CSR-1 in Hillsboro, OR
    Current Employee - CSR-1 in Hillsboro, OR

I have been working at Netflix full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Not many left, pay is decent, oatmeal and ramen in the breakroom, that's about it.

Cons

Been here 5 years with top stats never had a raise but did get a pay cut. Overwhelming sense of managers whispering behind closed doors. Pretty much anyone can get fired anytime for literally any reason. Doesn't matter how good you are at your job, I haven't talked to a supervisor or manager in months. Constant calls with limited out-dated knowledge base to refer to. No notice on changes or training after initial hiring. Fear based environment. If you have any other option it's probably better.

This used to be such a nice place to work... now we are cattle herded through troughs.

Casual call center

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

progressive work environment, great internal work culture

Cons

company used to be rated number one in customer service because it believed a happy employee would produce better work. Company has lost focus on employee appreciation and happiness. Pain in the -- customers

Disappointing

Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Beverly Hills, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Marketing Manager in Beverly Hills, CA

I have been working at Netflix as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Excellent Salary and benefits; catered lunches. Everyone at Netflix is very talented, smart and professional

Cons

There's very little understanding of the 'Freedom and Responsibility" mantra. The culture tends to promote throwing each other under the bus mentality. The marketing department has very little direction. Reminded me of a kids soccer game; everyone huddled up around the ball without any direction on where to go. Would really benefit from some consistent direction and communication.

Consider establishing better forms of communications and direction for entire teams and individual employees. Many people are spending their days confused on direction, goals and job responsibilities (areas of focus and ownership).

Stay Away

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good "brand" for your resume, I guess. Outsiders will be impressed, if only because the PR machine has been in overdrive convincing people that this is still an innovative company. But a stock price bubble does not equal innovation.

Cons

Most of the honest reviews on here (meaning those not written by HR) have already covered it, but it's a terrible place to work - a pressure-cooker environment full of overpaid but insecure bosses who manage through fear and intimidation. Crazy high turnover in every group, lots of good people getting pushed out all the time by their managers. Then those people are blamed and insulted once they're gone and unable to defend themselves. The company also stopped innovating long ago. The salary, though substantial, is not worth it, especially when you see the C-level insiders routinely cashing out millions in shares like thieves in the night. Hmmm, what do they know that everyone else doesn't? Look elsewhere - there are many other more humane, ethical, and socially rewarding places to get paid well...like Wall Street.

Keep selling as many shares as possible before the Wall Street lemmings finally figure you guys out. You have done a great job of this so far.

Great place to work if you are driven

Current Employee - Senior Research Engineer in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Research Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Very collaborative environment, great colleagues, great pay, people are adults.

Cons

You have to be self-driven and proactive to get trained, and a lot of training is on the job, but this is by design.

Coordinator

Current Employee - Coordinator in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Coordinator in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Great place to work, shuttle, food and respectful professional co-workers. Deliverables are realistic and my manager is very supportive.

Cons

I support a lot of people and sometimes the environment can be stressful. So far, everything is manageable.

My time at Netflix

Former Employee - Quality Control in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Quality Control in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

Netflix was very kind to me. The environment was very friendly and relaxed. They cared about my health by providing a healthy salad lunch on a daily basis and a well stocked snack room.

Cons

My biggest complaint was that I could not work there for a lengthier time. They were flexible with my real life emergencies and situation. The leadership listened and understood any concerns I may have had.

I hope you guys kept doing what you were doing.

Great for a Call center

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Netflix full-time (more than an year)

Pros

guaranteed hours, Free Netflix, Great benefits.
    The people that work here are pretty cool

Cons

boring work, your job is based on customers saying that they are satisfied with the Netflix experience which really has little to do with you. And you start at 14.hr and that is where you will stay forever.

We are not cattle.

Excessive Turn-over, Work Mobbing, Culture of Fear, Corporate BS at it's FINEST

I have been working at Netflix full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

pay. that's it. but it will feel like dirty money. after you've been here long enough (although evident to me right after I started...) you will wish you never started here because it will suck away your life and soul... the money won't matter. Oh... this was Pros. crap.

Cons

everything. insecure people. arrogance. letting go of people completely arbitrarily. using the annual 360 reviews as a harmless way for peer- reviews; then using those peer reviews as evidence... just as an FYI when you get a team of overpaid, untalented, bored people writing peer reviews it's an incubator for workplace mobbing (look it up) which happens ALL the time. Every week there are at least 1, if not 2 or 3 emails that go around about a team reorganization because someone was let go. When those people are your close colleagues you've successfully worked with; it's completely gross to have to accept their departure while you hang on. It wears on your soul. and, before you know it you HOPE you are let go.

start a training program. stop thinking the world revolves around the bottom line. Care about your employees and stop treating them so poorly.

Don't do it

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Farmington Hills, MI
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Farmington Hills, MI

I worked at Netflix full-time

Pros

Steady income same amount every week biweekly ! Ability to work overtime , Experience gained .

Cons

No respect no breaks no justice, worked in the call center for almost a year, doesn't promote from within .

Please treat your employees like people and not numbers