Netflix Reviews

Updated October 15, 2014
3.7

Netflix Founder, Chairman and CEO Reed Hastings
Reed Hastings

Pros
  • Work atmosphere is awesome with lot of freedom and responsibility (in 30 reviews)

• Good Pay & Fact paced work environment (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Netflix makes no secret about it's high performance culture, which results in a very high turnover (in 18 reviews)

• IT IS LITERALLY TRUE THAT IT IS CULTURE OF FEAR, no matter how talented you are (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

The job is full of freedom and responsibility.

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

A super big plus is the vacation policy - you get to have unlimited paid vacation (they don't track it here).

Cons

I don't have any cons to mention.

None.

A great, fun place to work

Current Employee - Senior User Interface Engineer in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Senior User Interface Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

The service/product is fun to work on, and my friends all know what it is. Netflix is very flexible in a number of ways (work hours and vacation time), my coworkers are competent, and the pay is very good.

Cons

Since we tend to hire experienced engineers in the first place, there aren't pronounced tiers among engineers, so promotions are very rare.

Promotions seem much more common in management positions, and even those seem to be mostly in-place promotions (i.e. the employee's responsibilities don't seem to change with the promotion).

Thanks for everything, and keep up the good work.

High performance culture; freedom and responsibility within

Current Employee - Director, Product Management in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Director, Product Management in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

Freedom and responsibility. You're treated like an adult. You're part of a pro team that is highly functioning. The company is well respected and has a super positive brand awareness -- i'm never able to go anywhere without getting peppered with raves and happy customer comments, and i love wearing company logo gear when i'm out for this reason.

You matter at Netflix. There is no dead wood, everyone is doing something very important to the company or they wouldn't be there. What you are doing matters and makes a difference, and that feels good. You can really make a difference no matter what your role.

The company often repeats that as an employee, you're not on an olympic team -- meaning, you don't do this 24/7 with no life, with all focus on the gold. WE're more of a varsity team, playing to win, very good, but still have to balance with classes and learning. We need to have a good work/life balance and its very important to the company that we do.

I think the best thing - and its subtle - is this no vacation/no holiday stuff. you work when you work. they seem to realize that everyone is working hard and all the time. nights. weekends often. a ton of hard work. so if you want to take time off for a vacation, a long holiday, a day off, whatever- it happens at your own discretion. you don't ask, you don't get permission. you just do what you have to do. no one is keeping track. i've never heard of this kind of policy and you cannot imagine what it doest for your morale, for feeling like you're being treated like a grown up. For that rule alone I think it stands beyond any other org.

Cons

Netflix is not for everyone. You don't get "direction" so much as everyone shares a common understanding of company strategy and goals. You are free to work, and some will find this harder than just being told what to do. Netflix doesn't have "average" workers - everyone is high functioning, highly motivated and independent, and expectations are enormous. There is nothing like a career position here. There is high turn over, and its unnerving to many. There is an understanding: "good average work and productivity does not get a modest raise, but a generous severence."

It's a pro team, and the team fit is also as important as the individual performance. You could be excellent, but if you're not HIGHLY communicative, cooperative, egoless, you can get cut just in the team balancing of moving quickly and effectively.

you must be able and willing to share early and often about everything. projects that are new and forming get debated and you have to defend your position and hear critique well. recognizing that criticism is of the work and not you is essential -- a thin skin won't work well. quiet hard work doesn't work well (for some engineers perhaps); you don't ask permission, but you must be able to clearly articulate why you do what you are doing, and support this position. you must realize that ideas are not fragile, and only through debate with smart people who share your understanding of company goals and strategy will ideas be improved.

This is serious work. It's really fun, but make no mistake, it's hard and not for everyone.

I have none. Senior management is fantastic. smart. focused. they lead by example and guide through real socratic debate with everyone. no one is unapproachable. everyone is candid. i couldn't ask for a better team of officers, and VPs, within the company.

Love it.

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

Clear values, good culture, and free dvd rentals

Cons

Location. Not in SF. I wish Netflix has wifi bus from SF.

Stay on course.

I love it.

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

Great colleagues -- incredible really

Cons

Domestic not global business -- wish we did europe and asia too

Focus on the customer, not on Apple

Netflix deserves its status as a top tier company.

Former Employee - Senior Visual Designer in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Visual Designer in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix

Pros

Professionally rewarding, positively competitive, fairly flat management hierarchy, great benefits, intellectually stimulating, clearly stated goals and procedures. Taking part in a world class, trend-setting company with extremely high customer satisfaction and industry/peer respect. All employees are treated as adults, with the attendant expectations and responsibilities.

Cons

Conflict is somewhat encouraged, sometimes to the detriment of internal morale. Learning curve is steep, and you must constantly perform at full steam. Your first 6 months will be sink or swim. Commuting from outside south bay is hectic, and uncompensated. Team shuffling can be a bit spastic. A bit of internal politicking does occur.

Keep an eye on how internal conflict effects more than just the outcome of a project.

great place to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

Freedom and Responsibility is real here.

Cons

Everyone is really smart, you have to keep up.

Stay focused!

I wish I would've joined years ago.

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

Think of the people you've worked with in your career. Now imagine the 5 best of those on one team. That's what working on a team at Netflix is like. Frankly, there are no stupid people here. None. Everyone I've met is damn sharp, very sharing of their knowledge and time, and enjoys what they do.

You are treated like an adult. You are not told what to do. Netflix is laissez faire, not command and control. With that comes responsibility and the potential for failure. If you fail often enough, you will not survive. If you don't expose yourself to this risk enough, you won't survive. Some people might consider this a downside, you won't like it at Netflix if you do.

The Netflix time off/vacation policy is that there is no policy. They don't track how many hours you take. You take time off when you want to, you don't have to ask for permission or approval. This non-policy is one example of many of how thoroughly Netflix expects you to behave like an adult. I've spent many years at big name valley companies. Without exception, everyone of them claims that they treat employees like adults. All of them pale in comparison to Netflix in this regard.

Cons

I'm a developer, and the code base at Netflix has warts that demonstrate its laissez faire culture. There is no architecture group with veto power, so the code evolves organically - I personally think this is great, but it can be frustrating. Luckily, it never stays "ugly" for long, but it frequently feels like a ball of mud.

There seems to be quite a bit of turnover. The first month I worked here, I counted at least 5 "good bye" emails. At least 4 of them were not voluntary. This can be disconcerting. But this is also not a company like Cisco, with regular annual headcount reduction quotas.

Keep doing what you're doing. I've never been more confident that the sr. mgmt in a company was as intelligent and ethical as you are.

If you get the chance, work there

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix

Pros

The company gives employees a lot of autonomy to get your work done. It values customer input, numbers and data and rewards creativity. It has a solid management team that has been at the company for many years and guided it through very turbulent times particularly the Blockbuster threat. The company attracts smart and creative talent in its departments, making it a good place to continue learning.

Cons

This is a jewel of a company with little downsides. Perhaps, the kitchen could be better stocked with health foods but then everyone is not Google.

Keep doing what you are doing.

Great place to work

Current Employee - Human Resources in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resources in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

The best thing about Netflix is the ability for every single person to have a significant impact on the business. Each employee is given a huge piece of the business to own and we are allowed to make the right call with judgement. There is a ton of flexibility and the lack of policies and procedures makes each person use their brain when making decision. Netflix hires adults and treats them that way. A very unique and challenging work place that acknowledges hard work and expects high performance.

Cons

Expectations for employees are extremely high and everyone is extremely visable (also a good thing too).

They are doing a great job, I don't have any feedback.