Netflix

Updated December 12, 2014
3.8

Netflix Founder, Chairman and CEO Reed Hastings
Reed Hastings

Pros
  • Work atmosphere is awesome with lot of freedom and responsibility (in 31 reviews)

• Good Pay & Fact paced work environment (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Netflix makes no secret about it's high performance culture, which results in a very high turnover (in 18 reviews)

• IT IS LITERALLY TRUE THAT IT IS CULTURE OF FEAR, no matter how talented you are (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Lost their way

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I worked at Netflix full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

- top of market base salary
    - 4 DVD out plan is free
    - do not penny pinch on equipment, get whatever you want.

Cons

- freedom and responsbility is their mantra when you're hired, but it is not practiced by new managers.
    - people get fired all the time for disagreeing or questioning management on anything.
    - On some teams(mine, not all) there was no collaboration in design between managers and programmers. The managers designed it and the only freedom the programmers had was to develop it exactly in that manner. If you disagreed with the design, you guessed it: your fired.
    - even star performers routinely get the axe. Others remaining are understandably nervous about their jobs.
    - so called stock plan makes no sense at all. Only plan I've ever heard of where an employee has to risk his own money to participate.
    - benefits are awful if you have a family. It cost me $800/month to have medical and dental for the family of 4. If your single, your completely covered.
    - no vacation paid when you leave. This is also a plus in a way though. Netflix does not track vacation time at all. If you take too much though, you will get fired without warning.

- take off that powerpoint presentation from jobs.netflix.com about the Netflix culture. It no longer applies. Netflix has turned into the mature company that is envisioned in the slide deck. Star performers no longer want to work there.

For Hub Manager -Great Pay, but zero job security or training, or stability.

Former Employee - Operations Manager
    Former Employee - Operations Manager

I worked at Netflix full-time (more than an year)

Pros

- Pay
    - Challenge
    - Can't think of another.

Cons

- Nature of the position was not presented accurately before hiring. (they sold it as an HR position, but it was a glorified mechanic/ops manager job).
    - The turnover is insane. Out of about 65 hubs (at the time), there were about 6 emails about managers who were terminated my first week. That rate was very common.
    - There is absolutely no training or assistance if you need it.
    - You are viewed as a commodity.
    - They feel (and they'll tell you so!) that they can pay you a lot so you can produce fabulous results no matter what.
    - They fire people for no reason. I believe during the economic downturn maybe they fired a lot of management to replace with cheaper managers, but that may have even been going on before I got there.
    - They wanted to penalize me for having too many cracked discs in my hub, but couldn't find anything my employees or myself were doing wrong. Offerred no helpful advice, etc. Said we were doing great. Got canned anyway. I always had great reviews, above average everywhere else I've ever worked.

Realize that turnover costs a lot of money. Either your hiring process is seriously off (and it is), or you need to develop a training/follow up program for management. You aren't getting the results you want with ANY managers? Maybe the common denominator is you.

Salary 15% above market , Duration of employment 90% below market, Worst culture to work in

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix

Pros

You get paid 15% above market rate.
    I was making 165k in my last company (150k base + 15-20% bonus) in a stress free environment
    and then one fine day i found an opening at netflix which suited my profile.
    applied , gave the interview and they offered my 180k total.
    like a fool i jumped onboard.
    lost my job after 9 months and now back in the market.
    and yes those 9 months were no less than delivering a baby.

Cons

just after joining i realized that the guy sitting right next to me was fired few weeks ago.
    as i spent more time i realized most of the people around me were no more than an yr old.
    the work was too much but i thought they are paying me more so i worked hard at it.
    turns out i had 2 slight disagreements with a member in another team and bammm .....i was gone....

the company has a very simple philosophy....if things are not 100% perfect ...fire and hire ......rinse and repeat........

dont make the mistake i made....dont leave your stress free environment for 10-15k etc because you going to end up being fired the moment your performance falls below 100%

reed thinks he is doing a great job..... i wonder does he ever read the reviews here on glassdoor.
    the only problem is these reviews are flooded by CS so hard to read the real software engg reviews.....

Careful: If you happen to be fired for any reason, it is broadcast to everyone you worked with!

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix

Pros

You might work with some very bright people and make good friends
    Opportunity to learn some very interesting skills and technologies
    Above market salary as long as it lasts

Cons

You might get all verbal accolades and encouragement till one fine day you are told that you are no longer needed!
    Managers could be picked randomly based on seniority from your peers if one leaves and may have little people skills.
    Firing, if it happens to you, is public, humiliating and outright insulting with a terse broadcast email.

Advice to potential applicants:
    - Do not close your eyes to all the reviews on Glassdoor, thinking you are too smart too be fired
    - Do account for the potential time you might have to stay without job while comparing the salary to other places

Treat your employees with respect.

Working for the Nazis.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Netflix

Pros

Good pay and good benefits.

Cons

Too much stress and degrading. I never felt so disrespected in my life.

Get off your high horse and remember you are dealing with people, not your subjects!

Revolving Door

Former Employee - Customer Service Supervisor II in Beaverton, OR
    Former Employee - Customer Service Supervisor II in Beaverton, OR

I worked at Netflix

Pros

Great compensation, the front line agents are mostly very intelligent

Cons

I never saw my manager, heck he didn't even know I had started work until I was there for 2 weeks.

Speak to you employees, at least meet them

Worst Place I have ever worked

Former Employee - CSR-1 in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - CSR-1 in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Netflix

Pros

Decent pay for the work if you get converted, free coffee, free fruit. Good health plan if you get converted, and the other reps I worked with were great.

Cons

IF... I was there for 7 months, my stats were in the top 10% of the center, and twice I was told they will convert me next time. The management is really messing up. At the time I left there were 525 reps, and of that more then 200 were temps. The real reason they are not converting anyone right now is because they are cutting costs where they can. This company treats employees like cattle. There is no Growth potential, they do hire all supervisors from the outside. Id say more but there is another review that sums it all up for me.

Absolutely terrible and soul-crushing

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Netflix

Pros

Free bananas, apples, coffee. Low priced soda. Free Netflix account. I worked with (not for!) some amazing people. If your supervisor likes you, you will be treated very well and have some degree of leniency when it comes to meeting stats and time spent on the phone.

Cons

Pretty much everything else not noted above. Most days the "What's working?" list is shorter than the "What's broken?" one.

No communication between departments. Customer service is forced to make things up because the Netflix "engineering" or "research" teams don't give any sort of information to the reps regarding estimated time to service restoration during outages. I put engineering and research in quotes because, as a CSR, you never actually speak to them. They are merely referenced, like mythology or fairy tales.

Reps are given goals that are nearly impossible to consistently meet, in what I believe to be a fairly obvious system that gives Netflix an opportunity to fire virtually any employee for not hitting their metrics. You basically are there by the grace of your boss, if they want to find a reason to get rid of you it will be fairly easy for them to do so.

The customer dissatisfaction is worded in such a way that many people are leaving feedback on Netflix, not the individual rep, but this DSAT number must be below a certain percentage or you risk losing your job. You are basically encouraged to burn through as many calls as quickly as possible, placating the customer or flat out lying to them (blaming their ISP, home network, or device manufacturer) enough that they'll be compelled to say that they're satisfied after you say "please stay on the line for a one question survey" and then promptly hang up on them.

There is absolutely no way that you are going to have consistent, quality interactions in 4:30 minutes or less, ESPECIALLY after the missteps that Netflix has made this year. But if your numbers drop, or you spend too much time trying to help out, be prepared to be "coached".

Coaching is such an absurd term, because it implies that there is a sort of team camaraderie or human aspect. My last coaching session with my boss involved being told that I was not giving my all. I was only supposed to be a contractor for 59 days. I was supposed to have health insurance by now, and some security as an employee. Instead we are told that they can only afford to hire on so many people, and better luck next time, but you're welcome to stay on as a temp if you like! So yes, I don't really feel like giving my all. Despite putting in consistently good numbers, multiple people on my team have told me (independently) that they are afraid of being fired at any time.

I get the feeling that many people are there only until they find something else. Netflix was actually a considerable pay cut from my last job, but even if the pay was higher the way they treat their employees is at the top of the list of the worst employers I've ever personally experienced. Work / life balance is non-existent. While going through some personal issues in my life, my supervisor told me to "leave it behind me" when I walked in the door, not offering anything close to a compassionate response.

One last observation: the people I've noticed who seem to be TRULY happy there are the ones who are too young to know any better. I'm not old by any means, but I'm also not an 18-24 year old kid who doesn't realize that jobs don't need to be like this, that you can actually be treated like a human being and be *inspired* to perform, rather than doing it because you fear for your job on a daily basis. Eventually Netflix will chew them up and spit them out, too. Ask yourself why anyone should give loyalty to a company where an employee celebrating a 6 month anniversary is considered a veteran?

Also, the positive reviews on here are probably left by Netflix management. It cites things they don't even offer anymore at the Hillsboro facility (like free mac&cheese, and, oh I dunno, BENEFITS for most of the people here). You will most likely be a temp with Netflix (meaning no benefits) until you quit or get fired.

I've been lucky enough to work for some truly amazing companies, and Netflix is definitely not one of them.

This is simple. Learn to communicate. Start treating your CSRs like human beings. Stop encouraging CSRs to lie to customers. Tucking tail and rescinding your decision to split the company doesn't magically make you a "feedback driven company", it means that you got called out on BS and you're backpedalling.

Don't waste your time if you live in the Bay Area! There are better places to dedicate your time!

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix

Pros

Free snacks, nice office, pays well

Cons

Disgusting management! When you're in a small conference room making a personal call and your mgr is in the storage room listening to your phone call or following you everywhere you go! My manager said he was very happy with my performance after 3 months of hiring me. He just got too weird so I resigned. Then he pulled me aside to tell me that I wasn't smart to work for him! What a jerk! His ego was hurt bc he didnt get to fire me! The worst place to work! I'd rather get paid a little less to be in environment where you are valued for your hard work!

Stop taking manager side! It's the worker bees that is keeping your business alive, not the management!

The pit of Hell

Current Employee - Regional Operations Manager
    Current Employee - Regional Operations Manager

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

Money was awesome and the work in day to day operations was great.

Cons

As a person, you are treated just as Reed treated his customers, with arrogance and disposable.

Netflix is gonna run it their way and I have no advice. Who am I to tell them what they should do? Continue on the path of destruction you are on. Im looking forward to the destruction of the company.