Netflix Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

Fear-based culture

I worked at Netflix

Pros

Higher than market salary Free lunches Unlimited PTO

Cons

Fear-based, highly competitive culture driven by upper management. Mid-management is forced to follow the suit otherwise it will be their job on the line. Everyone is under pressure to deliver but nobody provides guidance as to what is expected. If you're a super-star you're supposed to figure it out on your own. Zero tolerance to even small mistakes - you're expected to work as a perfect robot. If you made a mistake you're out immediately, no chance for correction. Zero communications about your performance - it is all up to management to decide how you're doing. So you don't know whether you made or making mistakes. Project management does not exist, hence no planning is happening, just loose email exchanges. You don't feel as part of the team, there are virtually no teams, just people trying to prove something and keep their jobs. As a result many decisions are short-sited since they provide immediate credit, long-term decisions are usually on back-burner until all of a sudden they become critical and then it is all hands on deck. You're expected to work long hours and weekends on regular basis. Basically if you accepted an offer you're owned by Netflix. Documentation is non-existent, people are secretive about knowledge transfer. All in all Netflix's motto Freedom comes with Responsibility turns into the situation when company has freedom to do whatever it wants and employees have all responsibilities.

Advice to Management

Trust and respect people. The fact that you pay high salaries and provide unlimited PTO does not mean that you own people's lives. Give people freedom for mistake, at least one. One mistake means nothing especially in first year of employment. Encourage planning.

Management is asleep at the wheel

Current Employee - Manager in Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Manager in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

Free lunch, good salary, nice commute

Cons

Poor performance of colleagues, very poor management, very poor planning

Advice to Management

80% of your employees hurt you, the other 20% are mistreated. Fix this.

Netflix: A company that doesn't value employees, but only sees them as a means to an end.

Current Employee - DVD Sorter (Phoenix) in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - DVD Sorter (Phoenix) in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

Above average pay compared to the industry standard. Casual work attire policy.

Cons

Inadequate, poorly-trained management. Very little emphasis on feedback to employees. No paid vacation.

Advice to Management

Value your employees. Don't treat them like cattle. If you don't have any sense of loyalty to your employees, they won't hesitate to leave for a better offer elsewhere. Your company has about 25% turnover, easily. Why do you think that is?

people are expendable

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Netflix

Pros

Innovative company with strong growth and brand recognition, pay and benefits are good, the work is challenging and there are some great people that work there. New hire orientation was a good experience and fun to attend.

Cons

The culture sounds great at the beginning however, in reality there is no empathy or understanding of human error. People are not given the time to learn, make mistakes and grow from the mistake, instead one mistake (even small) will get you shown to the door. There is no training and even high powered professionals need some direction and guidance. There is a lot of fear and uncertainty inherent in the culture and it leads to an "every man for himself" culture which does not promote teamwork.

Advice to Management

HR 101, your employee's are your greatest asset and constant turnover is not healthy for any business in the long run.

Don't make the mistake of working here

Former Employee - Manager in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix

Pros

1. Pay is good, and for some tough to fill roles, pay is very good. 2. The stock option plan is a good deal. 3. A number of policies treat people like adults (dress code, attendance, and vacation/holidays). You can take as much time off as you want, as long as you get your job done. 4. A number of smart people get hired. 5. The industry is growing very fast. 6. Well known brand with instant street recognition. 7. Facilities are pretty good.

Cons

1. Look at the comments on this site around turnover, treating people poorly, sick culture, and weak senior leadership. These are all very accurate. 2. No training, management training, or development. The philosophy is if you don’t have what we need, we will replace you (i.e., fire you for not being a “good fit”) with someone from the outside who has that. 3. Hourly jobs in particular have stagnant pay. 4. There are no bonuses or incentives. 5. The culture has serious problems. a. You will see countless references on this site to a “culture of fear”. This is widespread in every department and division. Even executives laugh that their time is numbered. A company that functions on fear is not a place for the long term. When everyone in a room is asked do they fear being fired and everyone says yes, that is a big problem. b. A culture of watching your back and stabbing others in the back. Many employees, including C level people, participate and have learned that tossing others under the bus, keeps them safe. They see this as a way to protect themselves from scrutiny from above. Employees and managers are all too comfortable talking about what is not working with a person. The 360 review process reinforces this. Those who have been there the longest are almost soulless with regard to firings. They have fired or seen so many people let go that they don’t really care anymore. 6. You can be fired without warning, feedback, or any coaching. Most employees don’t bring any personal belongings to work as they could be let go at any moment. It is often a surprise. 7. Do not move for a job with Netflix. If your partner or spouse doesn’t work, you could be risking your families financial health. There is no job security regardless of how good you are. Performance does not equal security at Netflix. 8. Managers have a 1 year shelf life before they get shown the door. Directors and VPs are constantly evaluating managers, so anytime you make a mistake, are perceived not to be cutting edge, it could be your turn. 9. HR’s job is to hire and show people the door. HR brags about how good they are at firing people. They don’t help employees, nor are they there to help employees become better. Their role is simply to ensure the company doesn’t get sued and headhunt for all the people that are turning over. 10. Managers main role is making their team better through constrantly looking for their weaker employees. Leaders are asked could they hire someone better. Of course the answer will always be yes. 11. No severance package is enough to compensate you for disruption in your career, moving, or the stress that comes without having a job. 12. The recruiting function will hire you fast. The idea is to keep you excited, but if you are reading this don’t get caught up in the Netflix product of movies—look at whether this is actually a place you want to work. 13. It’s incredibly stressful and life-shortening for you and your loved ones. Why work at a place where people, including your hiring managers, treat you as completely disposable?

Advice to Management

1. Change out your HR leadership. They are in love with the culture, but they are creating an unhealthy long term environment. Once the economy picks up you will not be able to treat people as poorly as you do. 2. Change the culture of fear. Install real coaching, feedback, and performance reviews so employees can feel comfortable doing their jobs. 3. Do some employee surveys to learn the real thoughts of your front line team. 4. Stop the turnover that is higher than comparable companies. 5. Reed, if you are not a people person, hire some people who are. You will get better performance from people who are not in constant fear of being fired. You can still remove weak performers, but don’t make even your best employees fear for their jobs.

Times are tough so you probably need the job but start looking for a career ASAP once hired!

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Hillsboro, OR

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

hands down pay is great 14.00 plus health care benefits (800 extra a month if you opt out of insurance) puts my pay above 2500 a month! 10 hour shifts (can be a con too) three day weekends are nice but you will need it Classified as a hostile work environment by the state of Oregon so you get unemployment for virtually anything you may get fired for (even if you deserve to be fired). Make sure you get hired by netflix first before taking advantage of this sweet pro. It does not work if you are still on your trial period with them through a hiring agency. Great job to go into to find a real career especially as a college graduate in this economy

Cons

Customers have no lives so they call up about stupid things and feel they deserve the world for $9.99 Dealing with stupid people all day long is very rough. Pay is great but think about it, why do they pay so well? If it was a great place to work they would not need to pay well, would they ;-) constantly acting like you care takes its toll at about 4 months in (like I said start looking for another job on your three day weekend no matter what you think at the start of this job, you will thank me later for that nugget of info ;-) You will not get time off even though they don't give you paid time off People are always getting axed around you so don't depend on the job.

Advice to Management

Let people take time off! By not your allowing people time off your making them get burnt out.

My advice - accept job here, get kicked out after half year

I worked at Netflix

Pros

Higher than industry average salary.

Cons

Read other reviews of former employees. Out of all people that I worked with at the time more than 80% were kicked out. Most of them are bright engineers. My advice - if you are offered a position in Netflix fight for the highest salary possible. In any case expect to be fired soon. Maybe after a year, maybe sooner, maybe later.

Advice to Management

You don't need to worry. Everything is well. Your stock grows like crazy until you are out of talent and noone wants to work for you anymore.

It paid decent, but the level of efficiency stripped all the human aspects away.

I worked at Netflix

Pros

The pay you well, they have a great health care plan, and they will give you full time status and paid training.

Cons

Zero time to be human, the constant computer monitoring puts you on edge since you have only 5 minutes to explain to an 80yr old how to install firefox in order to watch a video on their mac computer. This job tells you to be super human and empathetic, yet their employees want to shoot themselves since the place is run like a prison camp. Trying to go to the bathroom will result in your averages going down on the computer monitoring system and if your average falls below 5 minutes per call per shift you are FIRED, ZERO TOLERANCE!

Advice to Management

You fold at management do realize that your training continuously year round results in a $14,000 dollar expense a week, with only a 35% stay rate after 6 months. This program you have costs you a fortune annually and is HIGHLY INEFFICIENT, something you profess to be striving for. Do yourselves a favor, humanize the job, give people an incentive besides the 14 dollar an hour pay for zero life and boot camp like tactics. You pay so much for people just to sit through a training session that you could have given current employees a real reason to feel appreciated besides the cheap Netflix swag you peddle. Seriously, make the environment a more "happy place" and save serious money and improve employee moral significantly. I like the way Mr. Hastings runs things, but he is never actually seen at the Hislboro facility and he is wasting A LOT of money annually with his ridiculous and wasteful training and selection staff.. Seriously, they are ripping you and the potential employees off big time! Also, they like to hand their friends the codes that you give out to the employees to their friends resulting in a month of free 8 movie rentals. You are being robbed sir!

Hell with free Easy Mac

I worked at Netflix

Pros

Free Easy Mac, Tea, Oatmeal & Cup O Noodles Free Netflix Subscription

Cons

The people working here are so ridiculous and the trainer is straight from Sesame Street. I knew one of the first 6 people to open the center, and she had been laid off over a year prior to when I started. She had some horror stories, but I thought the pay would overshadow any hint of doubt I had. I made them aware of the fact that I was in school [college, obviously] prior to being invited to the interview, and they said that was fine & they'd work with me (I found out later that this is a complete lie). I went through training and everything with positive feedback. Only after that did it become an issue, and I was constantly pulled aside and berated. I am not going to quit school to slave away at a job that will last less than a year. They pulled me into random rooms around the call center and told me my "internet browsing privileges were being taken away during my breaks," because I looked up Netflix reviews. I was told that my face looked "sad and depressed." Well, of course it was after you pulled me into a room 3 times in one day trying to make me feel bad about going to school. They expect you to talk to 85-year-olds with Alzheimers that can't even remember their email address, let alone their name, and help them fix whatever issue they have in less than 5 minutes. Why is there free food? Why are there showers here? Why are there laptops for you to use? Because they want you to eat, sleep and breathe Netflix.

Advice to Management

People are human. Netflix has no human aspect to it. When I first started, everyone there was worried about their job, although most of them were recently promoted. That's horrible. Start investing in people so you don't waste money on training. Don't say things that can bring a lawsuit to your door. Don't hire people in school. Don't expect newly trained employees to know all of the answers when your trainers don't even know the answers.

Great place...if you want to kill your career!

Former Employee - Supervisor in Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Supervisor in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Netflix

Pros

Free monthly subscription. Good money but daily multiple firings are reminders of why Unions exist.

Cons

Upper management is not not consistent. For every one good Manager....you have 3 horrible ones. Not very good odds. :(

Advice to Management

Fix your issues...don't just fire everyone that does not fit to your company mold. You would be amazed at how many different ways there are to accomplish a task.

RSS Feed </> Embed