Netflix Reviews

Updated September 18, 2014
3.6

Netflix Founder, Chairman and CEO Reed Hastings
Reed Hastings

Pros
  • Freedom and Responsibility" is their guiding phrase here and it is true (in 29 reviews)

• Good Pay & Fact paced work environment (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Netflix makes no secret about it's high performance culture, which results in a very high turnover (in 18 reviews)

• IT IS LITERALLY TRUE THAT IT IS CULTURE OF FEAR, no matter how talented you are (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

The Truth About the Netflix Call Center..... :(

I worked at Netflix

Pros

-decent starting wage (assuming you make it out of training)
    -inexpensive benefits and decent health care coverage
    -for the most part, employees (CSR1) are really cool to work with
    -sheltered smoking area
    -Free Lunch (Mac and Cheese, Oatmeal, or Ramen)
    -Unlimited coffee (caution... don't take a bathroom break!! You may get fired)
    -Schedule choices offered after training (Choose Wisely)
    -fairly decent training support for the first two weeks of employment (if you made it)

Cons

-Out of every 100 customers who you interact with by phone, you may only have 5-6 upset customers or you risk losing your job
    -you are always tied to your desk by a phone cord
    -The calls keep coming whether you want them to or not...
    -There is no set concrete guidelines for evaluating personal performance. It is all subject to caller reviews (i.e. You're job may depend on somebody's bad day!!)
    -After your initial training (assuming you made it) there is a real lack of support for training from the management team. You will only see your team manager during your last week of training and then your first reprimand and your last day. (Watch out for the RED PACKET!!!)
    -Netflix is great at finding talented people to do the job, but they are HORRIBLE at retention. Do they have a quota for firing people???
    -Whether you are a CSR, CSRII, Supervisor, Team Manager, or the Call Center Manager, you are never secure in this position. Do not count on it for long term stability/security in employment.

DISCLAIMER: I was not fired from my job... I quit, gave notice (albeit through the attendance line).. In all honesty, Netflix was a great transitional job for me. I needed quick money, and work and Netflix filled that vacancy. I was very happy with the people I worked with, as I made some really good friends while working there, and that is the only positive thing that came out of Netflix. I now shop the Redbox.

Customer Service is not simply a game of numbers. As a Customer Service Representative, and as a former Customer Service Manager, and trainer, with a reputable company, who Netflixs' own Michael Osier, vice president for information technology operations and customer service, based the Hillsboro call center after; my advice is to focus generally on the broad customer service experience and not sweat the small stuff. A good former CEO of Southwest Airlines once said "We can't take ourselves too seriously" If you're not having fun, and treating your people with decency, the you will have a poisonous atmosphere that is impossible to come back from.

Thanks

Worst treatment of humans I have ever seen.

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor  in  Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

The insurance is good and you get it quickly after starting. There are some good people that you meet here, however they are usually fired within a matter of months. It is a challenging environment to work in.

Cons

The hours are very poor. There is no chance for promotion unless you are part of the current in crowd. The culture that is created is one that promotes arrogance, aggressive behavior and dishonesty. The general feeling is of fear and anxiety amongst the employees. You do not receive a performance review until you have upset management. You are expected to perform at such a level of intensity that it creates extremely high tension; associates tremble with fear. You are flat out told that you are expendable, and no matter how hard you try or what you accomplish, you will likely end up being walked out the door once they find someone who is not at the verge of a breakdown to replace you.

Management should consider the fact that by promoting and encouraging anti-social behavior the company is setting itself up for disaster. While people should be self-motivated and strong, they should not be expected to work themselves to a point of breakdown. Do not string the employees along and tell them one thing one day and something entirely different the next.

Do Yourself a Favor and Don't Apply Here

I worked at Netflix

Pros

The ONLY reason to even consider this position is the compensation:
    -Solid pay
    -Great benefits from day one
    -Free Netflix account (8 at a time!)

The facility is nice, they keep the break room stocked with goodies and the coffee is usually hot.

Cons

Everything else (you know, the actual "job" part)
    -Dealing with customers. Yeah, this is what you signed up for, but it's the worst part. You will get yelled at. A lot.

-Monotony. There are no scripts but you will spend your work week uttering the same core phrases OVER and OVER forever.

-Horrible scheduling. More likely than not you'll get stuck with a bad schedule and no way to negotiate out of it.

-Excessively stat driven. Ignore everything they imply during training. Every customer gets an email survey and DSAT will make or break you here. Keep it low and you're fine. Don't and you could be in trouble.

-Turnover. It's ridiculous, but it definitely keeps management looking busy. Every couple weeks it seems like someone is gone and a new person takes their place.

-Communication. Management has a funny way of saying just enough to cover their rears later on if they decide to write you up or axe you outright. It was incredible watching what seemed like casual "coaching tips" turn into do or die ultimatums in hindsight. Be crystal clear about expectations.

-Listen to the reps. Really. The CSRs are treated like generic cogs in a big machine. There's a lot of people working the front lines that are just as qualified (maybe more so) than management to be running the place, yet they don't have a real voice.

-Fix the scheduling. If you actually let the employees work with you to create a schedule that meets their needs as well as yours you would get better performance.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Netflix: Culture of Fear

Former Employee - Manager  in  Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix

Pros

The pay is above market. Not a lot above market, but a bit above market. The drawback is there are absolutely no benefits to speak of (no health benefits, no training, no daycare) so that above market pay gets eaten up pretty fast by real world needs.

Cons

A total fear of failure permeates the ranks. Netflix basically gives you a warning on your first mistake, and then fires you after your second mistake. This is why the annual turnover rate is well over 20%. Since there is an entirely new set of employees every few years, nobody knows what process to follow, and everything is chaotic. HR solves this by saying "there is no process for anything! Make it up as you go along!" Sure, if I fired all the employees every few years I'd stay away from process too.

The key problem is that with all the firings most employees spend the day simply trying to find cover. The ass covering at Netflix is legendary. Nobody wants to innovate. Nobody wants to reach outside their comfort zone. Netflix has created a culture of fear, and the way in which they manage terminations reinforces the culture of fear (they immediately demonize the terminated employee, and try to make the termination serve as a lesson to others).

The culture of fear is so ingrained in Netflix that many managers only have one tool for managing their directs, and that is to threaten to fire them. There simply is no other process for managing poor performance (remember, there is no process - they will admit this to you if you ask).

And finally, the last thing you should be warned about is their "high performance" culture. Their justification for all the firings is that the fired employees weren't high performers. But since there is no process, no record-keeping, there is no objective measurement of performance. So "high performers" end up being the employees that get along with the boss and keep a low profile. "High performers" at Netflix are not employees that take risks, interact with outside groups, or produce a high volume of work.

Netflix loves to talk about high performance but they have the lowest standard for high performance that I've ever seen. They are completely happy to manage with fear, however. If you put those two insane concepts together you end up with a rather hysterical environment.

So you guys did one thing well, a long time ago, and you've been marginally improving that business (DVD rental) ever since. Your astoundingly high turnover rate worked in that world, because all the processes were in place. But now you are trying to get into the streaming business, and that business only runs with knowledge workers at the helm. And guess what? Knowledge workers are pretty well-connected. The word is out that Netflix does not value its employees and as a result it's going to be harder and harder to staff your new ventures. You really need to find the groups at Netflix with the highest turnover and keep those managers away from the streaming business. You have some managers that simply do not know how to manage, they only know how to fire and hire. As much as you love to say that firing and hiring is what management is all about, you could not be more wrong. Find the teams with low turnover, they are the teams that work in spite of your chaotic work environment.

Employees treated like a paper towel - good for one use then throw away.

I worked at Netflix

Pros

- Higher that average pay for a call center
    - Free food/ fun incentives
    - Good benefits package

Cons

- No job security what so ever
    - Extreme lack of communication (you can be told you are doing great 4 days in a row and then "let go" on the 5th.)
    - Sickening climate of fear in this workplace
    - Lack of respect and sensitivity during the "let go" process

Do not hire people just to fire them. People have feelings, and goals, and bills... do not just hire people, train them and then let them go for not being a "good fit." I followed all the rules, was an exceptional employee, and was fired for no legitimate reason. This company is getting a bad reputation for treating it's employees like disposable pee ons. Take some PRIDE in your people, let them excel and nurture them.

Worst place to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix

Pros

High Salary and Good Office location

Cons

Average benefits.
    Management by fear.
    No human values.
    Can get fired after high performance.
    Severance package is not good.

I never thought human values and business values have to be diametrically opposite in order for a company to succeed. Netflix is a great manifestation of that. Management by fear is what they practice and they are able to achieve great business results using that. So far it seems to work. Ethics and human values are good topics for theoretical discussion but I think those are obvious hindrances to the way modern day businesses need to run.

Love the company, Hate working for it!

I worked at Netflix

Pros

The pay, and the perks, ie. free netflix!

Cons

Terrible management! Very high schoolish. It is not how good you can do your job, its how good you are with your supervisor. Actual comment from a supervisor when asked to come in a couple minutes late for a school exam was "you need to think about what is important to you right now, school or your job." Supervisors are very self absorbed and if you are not all about them then you will be fired and off their team.

Training program is very good. They let you know what is expected of you and how to get there. Unfortunately the supervisors do not match up with the training. The training was very thorough and we went through a lot. I was very dissapointed when I got out and noticed that each sup had their own way and went a total different direction then training. We wer given examples of what not to do and you would see the supervisor doing it constantly. We were given specific verbage that we could use in certain circumstances and the supervisor will let you know how terrible you are for using that verbaige and that is not the netflix way! very contridictive. Managers only go by what their supervisors say about you so if your supervisor doesnt like you they have all the power to get rid of you. Very high turn over rate! I personally saw at least 30 people fired during the short time I was there. Even though I read the comments about get in and get out before getting canned, I went into the job thinking that would never happen! I did everything I was told to do was told I would be amazing by all the trainers and that I would go far, wasnt my supervisors best friend, so I got fired.

No Wonder Netflix is Always Looking for Customer Service Reps!

I worked at Netflix

Pros

Benefits on first day of work.
    Nice headsets.
    Clean facilities.
    Just-Add-Water Microwaveable Food in break room.

Cons

Exceptionally high turnover rate.
    Fear-based management.
    Disposable employees.
    Lack of respect with a smile.

Set clear and realistic performance expectations. Implement and follow a concrete and clear warning procedure for poor performance. Be honest and upfront about the high turnover rate and effectively address the causes. This company is getting a reputation in Portland.

Ops Manager

I worked at Netflix

Pros

Time off was good and benefits start from day one. The RM is not there everyday as long as you get the job done.

Cons

As an Ops Manager, I was putting in 75 hours/week. The expectations were unrealistic. Even though we were #1 in the country for quality, they still wanted more. Over three years they have over 50% turn over with in their managers. Managers get let go at a moments notice yet associates must go through a HR nightmare of write ups before they get canned.

The culture is just a sign on the wall as you instructed us to put up. You have no idea what your managers are thinking because they are all worried about their careers. Pure scare tactics.

It's an OK stepping stone, but get out when you can.

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative II  in  Hillsboro, OR
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative II in Hillsboro, OR

I worked at Netflix

Pros

Performance based -> better performers get to pick their hours.
    Free Food! Free Netflix Subcription!
    Decent pay and benefits.
    Easy communication between teams/HR/Loss Prevention.

Cons

Angry customers whom you cannot help at all... The job is basically sitting there and getting yelled at about New Releases.
    Quite a ways from the Portland Metro area. Good luck if it snows or traffic gets bad. Those WILL get you write ups the first time and every time.

Arguably incompetent management team. You never see them, and when you do, they can't really help. They may, however, get into their "manager" voice and spout phrases they read out of a business life book. Not enough investment in the reps. If you don't hit the numbers, you get a talking to. If you perform well (According to the recent "shift bid," I was in the top 10% of performers) you'll never hear from them. One bad month is more impactful to them than 9 months of high end numbers.

Worked for Netflix? Contribute to the Community!