Netflix Reviews

Updated October 21, 2014
3.6

Netflix Founder, Chairman and CEO Reed Hastings
Reed Hastings

Pros
  • Work atmosphere is awesome with lot of freedom and responsibility (in 30 reviews)

• Good Pay & Fact paced work environment (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Netflix makes no secret about it's high performance culture, which results in a very high turnover (in 18 reviews)

• IT IS LITERALLY TRUE THAT IT IS CULTURE OF FEAR, no matter how talented you are (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Total Lack Of Respect For Employees

I worked at Netflix

Pros

-$$$$$$$$$$!!! ($13-$14/hr to start w/full time hours immediately)
    -Free rental subscription--the highest one they offer (8 @ a time)
    -Medical/Dental/Vision Insurance available right away
    -free food in breakroom along with Netflix connection & big screen TV to watch shows
    -showers in bathrooms if you walk/ride a bike and need to clean up before work
    -peers are fun to work with
    -high speed internet & laptops available to check e-mail, facebook, myspace on breaks

Cons

-fear-based company
    -anyone higher up than you will NOT respect you. Period.
    -cliquish environment (if you're not with the in crowd, you're invisible.)
    -very poor communication about job performance
    -do not uphold their own company values
    -rarely promote from within
    -contradictions galore!

In the nine days I was there for training before being unfairly dismissed, I saw several examples of employees being treated like children and unreasonably scolded. One girl was in the classroom 5 minutes before break was over. She suddenly had a bathroom emergency, so she left quickly to take care of it. She made it back just as they were shutting the door. On the next break, she was taken aside by the supervisor (supe) who said, "I noticed you made it back from break just as I was shutting the door. I just wanted to let you know that's unacceptable. You need to be back from break several minutes early." (In other words, you really don't get your full break.) She apologized, saying she'd been there five minutes early but had an emergency. He said, "I'm sure it won't happen again."

One girl had to call in sick because her child gave her the flu. They forced her to speak to three different people who scolded her, the last of which was the call center manager himself! He said he was going to give her the opportunity to come in for the rest of the week.

Another girl simply asked her neighbor for a pen during class. She was pulled into a conference room afterward and told by two different supes that talking during class was unacceptable and wouldn't be tolerated.

Netflix has a zero-tolerance policy for what they call "push back". They touched on this very briefly in class during our second week of training. The example they gave was this: "If your supe tells you to change something and you say, 'I don't feel like it, so I'm not going to', that's considered push back and will not be tolerated." Basically, it's outright insubordination. My supe said I needed to work on verifying every account. When people call in, their account auto-pops onscreen....unless they don't give their service code to the automated answering service before they're transferred to a live person. This happens about half the time and it's mostly people who don't have accounts and are just asking about the service. So I asked my supe, "Is that even when they're just calling with a general question about the website?" He said we needed to at least ask for a name and warned me that what I'd just said was considered push back but he'd let it slide this time. I was baffled but just said, "Okay." The same supe told me he liked that I was resolution oriented because that was a good thing. An hour later, he took it back saying it was bad and I needed to focus on empathy. When I was let go, they gave me the opportunity to give feedback. I mentioned the contradictions I'd noticed and also that I didn't understand how asking a simple question during training was considered "push back". I was told that it's all about perception and I just wasn't a right fit. They also said this sort of thing happens often.

Before you go to work for Netflix, ask yourself this: if the pay is excellent and the benefits are great, why is the turnover rate at Netflix so high??? Why are there so many bad employee reviews out there? Notice the recurring themes in the reviews, i.e. lack of respect, no job security, fear based business, no career growth opportunity, etc. There comes a time when the realization that it's not everybody else, it's the company, has to set in.

Be more reasonable with your employees. Maybe if you applied the same amount of empathy you insist on for call flow to your staff, people would be more inclined to stay with you.

Don't take the bait

Former Employee - Operations Manager
    Former Employee - Operations Manager

I worked at Netflix

Pros

Insurance is good, if you do not have a family. If you insure your whole family, it eats up half of your paycheck.

Cons

Worst cases of CYA I have ever seen. Upper managers take credit for your ideas. You are told one thing, then something entirely different happens. Communication is a joke. They like to promote so called "values" however, these values are simply words on the wall.It is not worth working 75-80 hours a week, and to be expected to be on call 24/7/365. Your family will be pushed aside, your health, and don't expect to be able to have a social life outside the company.

Get over yourselves. When you ask for feedback, but then on't hear what you want to hear; that is not a license to fire someone. You are going against your own "values" when you treat people this way.

The Truth About the Netflix Call Center..... :(

I worked at Netflix

Pros

-decent starting wage (assuming you make it out of training)
    -inexpensive benefits and decent health care coverage
    -for the most part, employees (CSR1) are really cool to work with
    -sheltered smoking area
    -Free Lunch (Mac and Cheese, Oatmeal, or Ramen)
    -Unlimited coffee (caution... don't take a bathroom break!! You may get fired)
    -Schedule choices offered after training (Choose Wisely)
    -fairly decent training support for the first two weeks of employment (if you made it)

Cons

-Out of every 100 customers who you interact with by phone, you may only have 5-6 upset customers or you risk losing your job
    -you are always tied to your desk by a phone cord
    -The calls keep coming whether you want them to or not...
    -There is no set concrete guidelines for evaluating personal performance. It is all subject to caller reviews (i.e. You're job may depend on somebody's bad day!!)
    -After your initial training (assuming you made it) there is a real lack of support for training from the management team. You will only see your team manager during your last week of training and then your first reprimand and your last day. (Watch out for the RED PACKET!!!)
    -Netflix is great at finding talented people to do the job, but they are HORRIBLE at retention. Do they have a quota for firing people???
    -Whether you are a CSR, CSRII, Supervisor, Team Manager, or the Call Center Manager, you are never secure in this position. Do not count on it for long term stability/security in employment.

DISCLAIMER: I was not fired from my job... I quit, gave notice (albeit through the attendance line).. In all honesty, Netflix was a great transitional job for me. I needed quick money, and work and Netflix filled that vacancy. I was very happy with the people I worked with, as I made some really good friends while working there, and that is the only positive thing that came out of Netflix. I now shop the Redbox.

Customer Service is not simply a game of numbers. As a Customer Service Representative, and as a former Customer Service Manager, and trainer, with a reputable company, who Netflixs' own Michael Osier, vice president for information technology operations and customer service, based the Hillsboro call center after; my advice is to focus generally on the broad customer service experience and not sweat the small stuff. A good former CEO of Southwest Airlines once said "We can't take ourselves too seriously" If you're not having fun, and treating your people with decency, the you will have a poisonous atmosphere that is impossible to come back from.

Thanks

Worst treatment of humans I have ever seen.

Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Salt Lake City, UT
    Current Employee - Operations Supervisor in Salt Lake City, UT

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

The insurance is good and you get it quickly after starting. There are some good people that you meet here, however they are usually fired within a matter of months. It is a challenging environment to work in.

Cons

The hours are very poor. There is no chance for promotion unless you are part of the current in crowd. The culture that is created is one that promotes arrogance, aggressive behavior and dishonesty. The general feeling is of fear and anxiety amongst the employees. You do not receive a performance review until you have upset management. You are expected to perform at such a level of intensity that it creates extremely high tension; associates tremble with fear. You are flat out told that you are expendable, and no matter how hard you try or what you accomplish, you will likely end up being walked out the door once they find someone who is not at the verge of a breakdown to replace you.

Management should consider the fact that by promoting and encouraging anti-social behavior the company is setting itself up for disaster. While people should be self-motivated and strong, they should not be expected to work themselves to a point of breakdown. Do not string the employees along and tell them one thing one day and something entirely different the next.

Do Yourself a Favor and Don't Apply Here

I worked at Netflix

Pros

The ONLY reason to even consider this position is the compensation:
    -Solid pay
    -Great benefits from day one
    -Free Netflix account (8 at a time!)

The facility is nice, they keep the break room stocked with goodies and the coffee is usually hot.

Cons

Everything else (you know, the actual "job" part)
    -Dealing with customers. Yeah, this is what you signed up for, but it's the worst part. You will get yelled at. A lot.

-Monotony. There are no scripts but you will spend your work week uttering the same core phrases OVER and OVER forever.

-Horrible scheduling. More likely than not you'll get stuck with a bad schedule and no way to negotiate out of it.

-Excessively stat driven. Ignore everything they imply during training. Every customer gets an email survey and DSAT will make or break you here. Keep it low and you're fine. Don't and you could be in trouble.

-Turnover. It's ridiculous, but it definitely keeps management looking busy. Every couple weeks it seems like someone is gone and a new person takes their place.

-Communication. Management has a funny way of saying just enough to cover their rears later on if they decide to write you up or axe you outright. It was incredible watching what seemed like casual "coaching tips" turn into do or die ultimatums in hindsight. Be crystal clear about expectations.

-Listen to the reps. Really. The CSRs are treated like generic cogs in a big machine. There's a lot of people working the front lines that are just as qualified (maybe more so) than management to be running the place, yet they don't have a real voice.

-Fix the scheduling. If you actually let the employees work with you to create a schedule that meets their needs as well as yours you would get better performance.

Netflix: Culture of Fear

Former Employee - Manager in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Manager in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix

Pros

The pay is above market. Not a lot above market, but a bit above market. The drawback is there are absolutely no benefits to speak of (no health benefits, no training, no daycare) so that above market pay gets eaten up pretty fast by real world needs.

Cons

A total fear of failure permeates the ranks. Netflix basically gives you a warning on your first mistake, and then fires you after your second mistake. This is why the annual turnover rate is well over 20%. Since there is an entirely new set of employees every few years, nobody knows what process to follow, and everything is chaotic. HR solves this by saying "there is no process for anything! Make it up as you go along!" Sure, if I fired all the employees every few years I'd stay away from process too.

The key problem is that with all the firings most employees spend the day simply trying to find cover. The ass covering at Netflix is legendary. Nobody wants to innovate. Nobody wants to reach outside their comfort zone. Netflix has created a culture of fear, and the way in which they manage terminations reinforces the culture of fear (they immediately demonize the terminated employee, and try to make the termination serve as a lesson to others).

The culture of fear is so ingrained in Netflix that many managers only have one tool for managing their directs, and that is to threaten to fire them. There simply is no other process for managing poor performance (remember, there is no process - they will admit this to you if you ask).

And finally, the last thing you should be warned about is their "high performance" culture. Their justification for all the firings is that the fired employees weren't high performers. But since there is no process, no record-keeping, there is no objective measurement of performance. So "high performers" end up being the employees that get along with the boss and keep a low profile. "High performers" at Netflix are not employees that take risks, interact with outside groups, or produce a high volume of work.

Netflix loves to talk about high performance but they have the lowest standard for high performance that I've ever seen. They are completely happy to manage with fear, however. If you put those two insane concepts together you end up with a rather hysterical environment.

So you guys did one thing well, a long time ago, and you've been marginally improving that business (DVD rental) ever since. Your astoundingly high turnover rate worked in that world, because all the processes were in place. But now you are trying to get into the streaming business, and that business only runs with knowledge workers at the helm. And guess what? Knowledge workers are pretty well-connected. The word is out that Netflix does not value its employees and as a result it's going to be harder and harder to staff your new ventures. You really need to find the groups at Netflix with the highest turnover and keep those managers away from the streaming business. You have some managers that simply do not know how to manage, they only know how to fire and hire. As much as you love to say that firing and hiring is what management is all about, you could not be more wrong. Find the teams with low turnover, they are the teams that work in spite of your chaotic work environment.

Employees treated like a paper towel - good for one use then throw away.

I worked at Netflix

Pros

- Higher that average pay for a call center
    - Free food/ fun incentives
    - Good benefits package

Cons

- No job security what so ever
    - Extreme lack of communication (you can be told you are doing great 4 days in a row and then "let go" on the 5th.)
    - Sickening climate of fear in this workplace
    - Lack of respect and sensitivity during the "let go" process

Do not hire people just to fire them. People have feelings, and goals, and bills... do not just hire people, train them and then let them go for not being a "good fit." I followed all the rules, was an exceptional employee, and was fired for no legitimate reason. This company is getting a bad reputation for treating it's employees like disposable pee ons. Take some PRIDE in your people, let them excel and nurture them.

Worst place to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix

Pros

High Salary and Good Office location

Cons

Average benefits.
    Management by fear.
    No human values.
    Can get fired after high performance.
    Severance package is not good.

I never thought human values and business values have to be diametrically opposite in order for a company to succeed. Netflix is a great manifestation of that. Management by fear is what they practice and they are able to achieve great business results using that. So far it seems to work. Ethics and human values are good topics for theoretical discussion but I think those are obvious hindrances to the way modern day businesses need to run.

Love the company, Hate working for it!

I worked at Netflix

Pros

The pay, and the perks, ie. free netflix!

Cons

Terrible management! Very high schoolish. It is not how good you can do your job, its how good you are with your supervisor. Actual comment from a supervisor when asked to come in a couple minutes late for a school exam was "you need to think about what is important to you right now, school or your job." Supervisors are very self absorbed and if you are not all about them then you will be fired and off their team.

Training program is very good. They let you know what is expected of you and how to get there. Unfortunately the supervisors do not match up with the training. The training was very thorough and we went through a lot. I was very dissapointed when I got out and noticed that each sup had their own way and went a total different direction then training. We wer given examples of what not to do and you would see the supervisor doing it constantly. We were given specific verbage that we could use in certain circumstances and the supervisor will let you know how terrible you are for using that verbaige and that is not the netflix way! very contridictive. Managers only go by what their supervisors say about you so if your supervisor doesnt like you they have all the power to get rid of you. Very high turn over rate! I personally saw at least 30 people fired during the short time I was there. Even though I read the comments about get in and get out before getting canned, I went into the job thinking that would never happen! I did everything I was told to do was told I would be amazing by all the trainers and that I would go far, wasnt my supervisors best friend, so I got fired.

No Wonder Netflix is Always Looking for Customer Service Reps!

I worked at Netflix

Pros

Benefits on first day of work.
    Nice headsets.
    Clean facilities.
    Just-Add-Water Microwaveable Food in break room.

Cons

Exceptionally high turnover rate.
    Fear-based management.
    Disposable employees.
    Lack of respect with a smile.

Set clear and realistic performance expectations. Implement and follow a concrete and clear warning procedure for poor performance. Be honest and upfront about the high turnover rate and effectively address the causes. This company is getting a reputation in Portland.