Netflix Reviews

Updated September 7, 2014
3.6

Netflix Founder, Chairman and CEO Reed Hastings
Reed Hastings

Pros
  • Freedom and Responsibility" is their guiding phrase here and it is true (in 29 reviews)

• Good Pay & Fact paced work environment (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • Netflix makes no secret about it's high performance culture, which results in a very high turnover (in 18 reviews)

• IT IS LITERALLY TRUE THAT IT IS CULTURE OF FEAR, no matter how talented you are (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Pay was great, leadership was horrendous..

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix

Pros

Great Pay
    Decent health plan
    Great amenities
    Building was well maintained/clean
    Decent Swag
    Plenty of parking
    That's about all for the "pros' and that was a stretch.

Cons

Netflix is an HR driven company. As far as I am concerned they are the "bullies" of Netflix. Nothing is confidential. Be prepared, whatever you discuss with an HR employee will be leaked out to nearly everyone at Netflix. They will take confidential information and turn it into the joke of the day. Senior/Executive HR staff is crass and they seem to think cursing in front of others and telling lewd jokes is appropriate workplace etiquette.

No-vacation policy (As far as I am concerned, it is a scam). They work you so hard you feel guilty about taking time off. Between the blackberry they "give" you as soon as you walk through the door, and the laptop you will receive, you are never off the clock.

The revolving door in this place will literally make you dizzy. During my time at Netflix I can't even begin to count how many employees were terminated or resigned on a daily basis. Senior management even seemed to be desensitized to the large number of terminations.

No job security. You can be doing a fantastic job one day and the next day you are "re-structured"

Reed - Do yourself a favor.. Hire senior staff who truly understands the values that you believe in and who want their employees to embrace them. Currently the values are about as clear as mud. If one truly tries to abide by every aspect of what it reads, they will be fired. Wake up buddy, you are smarter that? Aren’t you?

Stop having meetings about having more meetings. A lot of managers at Netflix seem to be good at doing that. What amazed me is that even though all they do is seem to be locked in conference rooms all day, nothing good ever comes out of them. Perhaps they are plotting who to fire next??

Not for me

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

Vacation policy
    Free movies
    Fair benefits
    Fun concept
    Nice coworkers

Cons

Senior management
    No security
    No recognition for good performance
    No respect from management
    No HR support

What happened to this company? Used to be a great job, not so much anymore. Please start caring about your people. We have lost many talented people, more want to leave. See what's going on and help your employees want to stay and get the old culture back.

Once a nice place to work... Now... Not so much...

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

Free Netflix Account
    It's good to have a job in a bad economy.
    You actually get health benefits even if premiums are going up.

Cons

-Cult like atmosphere. If you don't tow the current corporate mantra, be prepared to be ostracized.
    -Bad communication. Be prepared to receive the wrong information from people and little help getting it clarified. Your manager may be the one giving you the wrong information.
    -Poor quality metrics. Call center did not always focus entirely on numbers. Now it appears to be all they care about, even if the metrics system is flawed. You can be fired if as little as 2% of the callers you speak with leave negative feedback. In many cases you do not have much control over the reason someone is leaving negative feedback. Be prepared to accept that it is your fault no matter what the reason for the negative feedback was.
    -Lack of ownership. You may not get backed up by your manager or your manager will bend policies to avoid taking escalated calls.
    -Lack of respect. Management will act as if you're incompetent and don't know how to do your job during team meetings. Very belittling tones used from the people who spend the least amount of time on the phone.
    -Little chance of career advancement. You may be able to become a supervisor, but that's about where it tops out at. CSR II is basically doing the grunt work of a supervisor for a meager pay increase. Despite this, it is an improvement over how it used to be where a promotion usually meant you'd be fired within three months.

Be prepared for a downturn in the quality of the call center once the recession lifts. When people are not so desperate for a job, you will have a much thinned pool worthwhile employees. As technology changes to streaming you will need more skilled reps who actually understand what they're doing rather than reading scripts.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Not worth the stress! Everyone hates their job there!

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

Good Pay
    Free membership
    Clean environment
    Research is very helpful
    Free coffee and popcorn
    Direct deposit
    Netflix gear
    Close to public transportation

Cons

Tons of Stress!
    Things change at a moments notice
    No sick time
    No vacation time
    No Holiday pay
    impossible to get time off
    Not flexible with shifts forget it students!
    Mandatory overtime if you don't pick a time they will. I was stuck there till 2am!
    Inconsistency in policies
    They concentrate on the negative calls hence dsat!
    HIGH turnover
    Unhelpful Technical support
    No shift drop or pick ups
    Have fun getting yelled at for wait times and watch instantly issues!
    Open 24 hours 7 days a week but for a lot off issues support staff isn't available.

If you were the leading company in customer satisfaction years ago when people actually enjoyed working there why did you change it?

You need to realize that people call in because they have a problem. Work on trying to fix the issue and not on figuring out which reps sugar coat the awful truth the best.

Give you CSR'S the tools to actually help your customers. Don't have them tell customer That they are capable of handling any situation when they can't! Some CSR's want to help but it doesn't get past the contact notes.

They hire you and then fire you

Former Employee - Operations Supervisor  in  Worcester, MA
    Former Employee - Operations Supervisor in Worcester, MA

I worked at Netflix

Pros

Great for silicon valley rockstars who live there jobs.

Cons

No upward mobility unless you want to move across state lines. If you do not accept promotion you start to feel the screws tightening to leave.

Relax. You will all be out of work in 5-7 years when everything goes online streaming.

Middle management is arrogant and incompetent

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer  in  Los Gatos, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Los Gatos, CA

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

Good location, free lunch, ability to choose laptop, corporate culture looks good on paper

Cons

Middle management is unable to effectively plan; they do not understand the strengths and weaknesses of their teams and seem to be mostly interested in protecting their bloated salaries. 20% of work force should be terminated. The other 80% is so segmented that they are unable to accomplish anything of any real value. Netflix was probably a great company to work for a few years ago, but is dangerously mismanaged now.

Start over. The company has great core beliefs but fails to efficiently execute.

It's a job, but only just that.

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

No reason to work there unless you are a masochist.
    You can earn the same money selling vacuum cleaners.

Cons

Where do I start?
    No respect for employees.
    No vacation time.
    No sick leave.
    No consistency.
    No defending yourself.
    No dialogue.
    No sense of reason.
    No rules for managers, supervisors or "teachers pets".
    "Career Advancement" practically guarantees you'll be fired.

This is an awful, oppressive, fearful, negative and pitiful place to work. Seriously, go to Burger King or Walmart because they'll treat you better. For the "good wage (cough)" you'll end up with ulcers and a need to explain why you were fired to your next employer.

The corporate office needs to understand that in order to be #1, you have to treat people with respect. I have an MBA in Business and I'd never, ever treat people the way this company treats people. My advise? Fire your managment team in Hillsboro and start from scratch - you've got some major weak links there. They have ruined the call center. Being #1 is worthless if your employees hate every minute they spend there. I know I did.

Not Worth It

I have been working at Netflix

Pros

Its a job at a time when jobs are scarce
    Pay is good, benifits are good
    Sometimes you can get time off

Cons

Feeling like you are going to be fired at any minute for any reason
    Atmosphere of fear and hostility
    Zero clear communication of what needs to be done to keep your job
    Unrealistic stat expectations that change almost weekly

Stop treating employees like trash. If you want someone to do a good job give them a company they can be proud to work for.

how on earth?!

Former Employee - Call Center Support Staff
    Former Employee - Call Center Support Staff

I worked at Netflix

Pros

Decent pay, but what are the expectations?

Cons

I was never even given a chance. On my 5th day I was let go for "not being the right fit" the man actually had the nerve to tell me I was too quiet in class. I dont know about that... I thought it was a good thing not to be disruptive...huh...

Train your people and treat them like people and you will have a winning team. do it not and you will eventually fail.

Disorganized chaos, insanely high turnover.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Los Gatos, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

I worked at Netflix

Pros

Industry Leader
    Knowledge of company initiatives and goals are well spread knowledge amongst everyone there.
    Excellent Salary

Cons

Work-life balance poor
    Turnover of employees extremely high, most stay for fewer than 6 months.
    Management unable to work together to form any cohesive goals.

Management needs to grow up from it's casual start up type environment, and realize at the size and rate of growth it is at, it needs to begin implementing a more traditional working environment.

Worked for Netflix? Contribute to the Community!